Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Ticket Reserve

Has anyone seen or used this website before? Basically, you buy forward contracts for any team competing for a major sporting event. For instance, right now you could buy "Maryland in the 2006 Final Four" for $27. If Maryland makes the Final Four, you get to buy Final Four tickets for face value (plus the loss of your original $27). Guaranteed. If Maryland plays well next year and the "market" price goes up, you can also sell your forward contract to someone else for a profit. The prices shift based on demand, which obviously related to the team's performance. A Louisville fan bought a Final Four contract this year right before the tourney started for $75. Obviously, he was pretty psyched to buy tickets for face value when Louisville eventually made it. For instance you can buy "Ravens in the 2006 Super Bowl" for $100. If the Ravens make the Super Bowl, you get to buy Super Bowl tickets for face value. Obviously if the team doesn't make the game you bought and you didn't sell your contract beforehand, you would lose your money. It's an amazing site that combines a pseudo-stock market with gambling. Check it out.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 04-06-2005 at 02:43 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
wbatl1
High School Varsity

How do they get the tickets. Aren't most of the tickets to these events given to the teams involved and/or the leagues/associations/ncaa?

Last edited by wbatl1 : 04-06-2005 at 02:42 PM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

How can they guarantee Super Bowl tickets like that?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

It's a scalper's market.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

A buddy of mine at work used this and hoped for Falcons tickets in the Super Bowl...he was happy to get the opportunity regardless of losing money in the end. There's no college football on it, though, so meh from me.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

That's a brilliant idea, if they can generate enough cash flow.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

The reserve price for Patriots Super Bowl tickets is $300. The Eagles are $575. San Francisco is $19 and Chicago is $25.

Of course, if SF or Chicago made it, would anyone want to watch?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Interesting concept, though I would be wary as to how legitimate any tickets you got were. What are Dolphins Super Bowl tickets and Miami Final Four tickets going for?
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu
Interesting concept, though I would be wary as to how legitimate any tickets you got were. What are Dolphins Super Bowl tickets and Miami Final Four tickets going for?

$19 and $9. Remembering that is the price to buy them at face value later, not the actual ticket price.

Last edited by Desnudo : 04-06-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

If I'm understanding this correctly, you apparently are buying these tickets from ticketholders. Is that a correct assumption? You are buying the right to buy the ticket off someone selling them. The site keeps their money. Ticketholder gets theirs.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 AM   #11
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
If I'm understanding this correctly, you apparently are buying these tickets from ticketholders. Is that a correct assumption? You are buying the right to buy the ticket off someone selling them. The site keeps their money. Ticketholder gets theirs.

I'm thinking that you are buying the rights to the tickets that the site, or other contracted scalpers, have. Once you buy the right, you can lose money if that team doesn't make it, unless you sell the rights before the team is eliminated. If the team makes it, you still lose your money, but you can purchase tickets at face value...which would either be valuable to you for going to the game at a cheaper price, or selling them for more money than your combined purchase of "the rights" and the face value of the tickets.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 AM   #12
Ragone
Pro Rookie

How much are stanley cup finals tickets for the Lightning?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:22 AM   #13
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Think of it as putting a non-refundable deposit down on a seat(s) for a championship event. In certain cases, if you love a crappy team, it will cost next to nothing to put your non-refundable deposit down. Then, as the time approaches, and your crappy team actually might make the superbowl, you are holding the rights to a ticket, and you can sell these rights at any price based on demand, and possibly make money that way (aka stock market). If you hold onto the ticket, and your team makes it, you can get a superbowl ticket for face value.

Or you can not do a damn thing and try and get superbowl tickets at some inflated price.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

$16 share for UTEP in the Final Four? Interesting...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How much have Vikings tickets gone up since the Tice thing broke?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know where the tickets come from, it doesn't matter as long as they are real. You are buying the right to later pay face value for a ticket that normally costs many times that. I'd assume they'd buy tickets in bulk from whatever source was least expensive, likely a ticket broker.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #17
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, I mean, they really don't have to even have many tickets. They could have 20 and sell 5 options for each team to the final four. They aren't making money on the tickets, but on the offering of the options.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
How much have Vikings tickets gone up since the Tice thing broke?

snare-snare...cymbal
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #19
Craptacular
College Starter

I wish all tickets had a sensor that detected when they were sold for more than face value, and then instantaneously exploded, killing both parties. I think the ticket scalper / broker is one of the lowest forms of life ... but then there's Ticketmaster.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:37 AM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think that would make people less likely to attend sporting events, the knowing they might die.