Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wait...was this in NY, or Atlanta?

Deliveryman stuck in elevator for 3 days

By Tom Hays, Associated Press Writer | April 6, 2005

NEW YORK --Ming Kuang Chen was written off after vanishing Friday night while making a delivery for Happy Dragon restaurant at a high-rise apartment building.

As police conducted a massive search and days passed, speculation grew that the 35-year-old Chen was the victim of armed bandits or some other urban horror in the Bronx borough.

But more than three days later, the deliveryman emerged with a mean thirst and a tale of survival: He had been stuck by himself in an elevator the whole time, without food or water. He was pulled out at about 5 a.m. Tuesday -- 80 hours later -- by firefighters responding to a security officer's call for help from the high-rise.

"Thanks for everyone caring about me," Chen said afterward in an interview with ETTV, a Taiwan-based news network. "I'm fine now."

Chen -- an undocumented immigrant from the Fujian Province in southeastern China who speaks mostly Mandarin -- apparently tried to tell rescuers how long he had been trapped by circling his watch dial with his finger numerous times, said Charlie Markey, a Fire Department spokesman.

The deliveryman was given water at the scene before being treated for minor dehydration. "He was in very good condition," said Montefiore Medical Center spokesman Steve Osborne. He had no food with him in the elevator, having delivered his last meal.

On Tuesday, authorities -- who conducted a door-to-door canvass of the apartment complex over the weekend looking for Chen -- were questioning why police officers and the building's private security force found no sign of Chen, who claimed he had repeatedly cried out and pushed an alarm button in the elevator.

"I tried to knock (down) the door and kept screaming for help, but no response," Chen said in the television interview. "During the time I was stuck in the elevator, I just kept sleeping because I don't know what else to do."

Chen was last seen about 8:30 p.m. Friday after making three deliveries at the same apartment complex in the Bedford Park neighborhood. He later told police through a translator that he had entered an elevator on the 32nd floor of a 38-story building when it plunged down and became stuck between the third and fourth floors.

An investigation on Tuesday determined that the security camera and alarm system in the elevator were working. But security officers told police they didn't hear or see Chen until security workers responded to his calls early Tuesday. Chen said his pleas using the intercom were answered, but that the language barrier was too great.

Even maintenance workers who were called to check out the disabled elevator on Monday missed Chen, police said.

Those questions aside, Mayor Michael Bloomberg marveled at Chen's good luck.

"If they were there and they searched and they didn't find him, thank God it turned out that he's OK," the mayor said. "I think we should all be thankful that the man's alive."

--------------------------------------

It's bad enough getting stuck in an elevator for 3 days; knowing that you just delivered 3 meals would make it that much worse.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

I don't see how it's possible that NOBODY noticed a busted elevator or a person stuck inside it for three days.

I think the dude should sue.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

I wonder if it's possible he was hiding for some reason?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I wonder if it's possible he was hiding for some reason?

Well, you don't exactly know when the elevators gonna get stuck. It is also stupid that somebody talked to him on the intercom(even though they couldn't understand him), but didn't realize he was in the stuck elevator.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I wonder why they didn't think to check that apartment when the person who obviously ordered food from there called and asked about where it was?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I wonder why they didn't think to check that apartment when the person who obviously ordered food from there called and asked about where it was?

he had just delieverd them (3 meals actually).

I think the whole situation was just a perfect storm of incompitence.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
he had just delieverd them (3 meals actually).

I think the whole situation was just a perfect storm of incompitence.

Ah, i see that now, but wouldn't standard police procedure be to start looking at the last known whereabouts?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Apparently they searched the building, Ragone...

Quote:
On Tuesday, authorities -- who conducted a door-to-door canvass of the apartment complex over the weekend looking for Chen -- were questioning why police officers and the building's private security force found no sign of Chen, who claimed he had repeatedly cried out and pushed an alarm button in the elevator.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Apparently they searched the building, Ragone...

IF they couldn't hear a screaming chinaman.. they obviously didn't search hard enough.. must have been a doughnut shop next door they throughly canvased
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
It's bad enough getting stuck in an elevator for 3 days; knowing that you just delivered 3 meals would make it that much worse.
Because he was partially dehydrated, I would think he was glad he didn't have 3 Chinese meals with him. That shit makes me dehydrated...let alone no water for 3 days.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote