Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

PING: UGA Fans Re: Thomas Davis

More than a few mock drafts that I see have the Saints taking Thomas Davis, who projects at the NFL level as either a SS or OLB (we need help at both).

I know that there are a fair number of people on this board who may have had the chance to watch UGA play over the last couple of years. How does Davis look? Worth a pick in the middle of the first round?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
More than a few mock drafts that I see have the Saints taking Thomas Davis, who projects at the NFL level as either a SS or OLB (we need help at both).

I know that there are a fair number of people on this board who may have had the chance to watch UGA play over the last couple of years. How does Davis look? Worth a pick in the middle of the first round?
Davis is a serious hitter. He's got more of a linebacker's mentality than that of a safety. He was prone to getting suckered in by play action and espeically trick plays. He's got all the physical tools necessary, imho, and If his "play diagnosis" can be improved, he'll be worth that kind of pick.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

I frankly would not take him with a first round pick. IMO, he's somewhat overrated in the mold of an NFL Donovin Darius in that he'll lay some huge, somewhat meaningless hits and get sucked in on play action and get beat deep. Auburn abused him this year on play action and flare routes out of the backfield.
Bo Jackson's Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Davis is a serious hitter. He's got more of a linebacker's mentality than that of a safety. He was prone to getting suckered in by play action and espeically trick plays. He's got all the physical tools necessary, imho, and If his "play diagnosis" can be improved, he'll be worth that kind of pick.

Quite a few Viking fans seem to be in love with him for the 18th overall pick, and based on that description I think he'd be a decent fit for the defense. With Smoot, Winfield, and Sharper starting in the secondary, a punishing hitter over the middle could do well at SS.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jackson's Hip
I frankly would not take him with a first round pick. IMO, he's somewhat overrated in the mold of an NFL Donovin Darius in that he'll lay some huge, somewhat meaningless hits and get sucked in on play action and get beat deep. Auburn abused him this year on play action and flare routes out of the backfield.

Sounds kind of like Tebucky Jones, whom the Saints just cut this offseason.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--

Thanks for the comments, BTW. It's nice to have a sense of what kind of player we might be getting.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some of the Steelers' faithful are thinking he might make a good OLB in their 3-4. I guess we have had pretty good luck with Georgia players in the recent past (Hines Ward, Kendrell Bell, Verron Haynes), so I wouldn't mind seeing him in the black and gold if he would slide down far enough.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote