Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
thetrilogy
Mascot

You stupid f***ing cell phone users, stay off the roads.

Not one more life should be endangered or lost because
of these stupid, inconsiderate, MF cell phone asswholes.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp...9&nav=5UaiXzVy

Last edited by thetrilogy : 03-30-2005 at 12:36 PM.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Cell phones are stupid anyway.

Totally unnecessary unless you are on a trip or are emergency/police people.

For everyday life it's pointless. At least the way they are used now.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
cbs too. motherf*ckin' truckers!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
cbs too. motherf*ckin' truckers!

How are they to arrange their bathroom breaks?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've always been a tech head.

I bought my first Cell ever couple days ago, never saw the point. I have it mostly for work purposes. Right now its a crap load of computers I need to support by myself and I'm not staying in the office from 6am-7pm just in case something goes wrong.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Passacaglia
Coordinator

If you've ever been charged $200 for one day of service by Ameritech, cell phones begin to look pretty good.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It always cracks me up when I tell people I didn't have a cell phone ( I have one for work now)

Their reaction is always on of " how can you live without a cellphone"

I managed without one for 28 years and did just fine

shrug
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
I've always been a tech head.

I bought my first Cell ever couple days ago, never saw the point. I have it mostly for work purposes. Right now its a crap load of computers I need to support by myself and I'm not staying in the office from 6am-7pm just in case something goes wrong.

That makes sense. Wandering around the supermarket saying "uh I'm in the bread aisle now " or "Yeah, hey I'm driving" is assinine.

I guess if it's your primary phone it makes sense too but you should be forced to leave it at home.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
It always cracks me up when I tell people I didn't have a cell phone ( I have one for work now)

Their reaction is always on of " how can you live without a cellphone"

I managed without one for 28 years and did just fine

shrug

Ditto. The dumbest social trend in america is the idea that you HAVE to have a cell phone. People get angry sometimes because they can't call me up whenever they want... which is fine with me.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Ditto. The dumbest social trend in america is the idea that you HAVE to have a cell phone. People get angry sometimes because they can't call me up whenever they want... which is fine with me.

I get that too. Dumbfounds me. The whole "what's your cell phone number?" and the look on their faces when I say "none". Priceless.

I feel like saying, trust me I can wait to get your message.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As Garrison Keeler said, "every cell phone conversation ever had can be summarized as follows: 'I'm here now; I'm on my way there; I'll be there in about a half hour.'"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Hey I am not a fan of the idiots who drive with cell phones and cause accidents, but this thread seems to be spiraling out of control. I have a cell phone instead of a home phone and it is about $25 cheaper a month then the racket SBC had going here for years. Sure as hell makes it easier to meet up with friends downtown, or tell the girlfriend/wife you are running late, or give to a kid to call for a ride from soccer practice. I could go on, but you guys seem to have a small dick complex just because you don't have a cell phone that they serve no purpose.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Cell phones are stupid anyway.

Totally unnecessary unless you are on a trip or are emergency/police people.

For everyday life it's pointless. At least the way they are used now.

Let's see:

Wrong

You got a point

Wrong

Possibly

I can live without a cell phone, but I don't wish to. It's extremely handy. I don't have a land line, and haven't for about 5 years. I got sick of paying for stupid charges and extra for long distance.

I have gotten jobs because I HAVE had a cell phone. Engineer was supposed to do a session, boss couldn't get in touch with him (he didn't have a cell phone) called me on my cell phone (wife and I were looking at new cars, started working the same day. The 50 dollars a month I paid for my phone got me $1700 in my pocket.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Hey I am not a fan of the idiots who drive with cell phones and cause accidents, but this thread seems to be spiraling out of control. I have a cell phone instead of a home phone and it is about $25 cheaper a month then the racket SBC had going here for years. Sure as hell makes it easier to meet up with friends downtown, or tell the girlfriend/wife you are running late, or give to a kid to call for a ride from soccer practice. I could go on, but you guys seem to have a small dick complex just because you don't have a cell phone that they serve no purpose.

I thought 'small dick complex' only worked for guys with a lot of tattoos, big trucks, fancy cars and expensive car stereos. And the ever popular short angry guy you see in the bar.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

I hope we can all agree that the only things more annoying than cellphone users are the crotchety old bastards that complain about them...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #16
Hurst2112
College Starter

I make fun of people with pagers, that's about it. I HATE it when they try to look at their pages while driving!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm with Panerd. My wife and I got cell phones as soon as she got pregnant with our first kid. It's come in very handy. We don't give our number out to everyone, we only use it to deal with errands/kid/and the like.

As for the phone company racket, I'm looking into what to do about our landline right now. Once I can figure out what to do about DirecTV and the DirecTIVO (yeah, I know I can hack them, but I'm not quite willing to do that yet) I may well have Vonage. $25/month (plus whatever for 911 service) vs. $70/month is a no-brainer. The phone companies are going to be in serious trouble...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

I have a cell phone instead of a land line. I like it.

I probably make about 3 or 4 calls a week to oliegirl to take advantage of the convienance factor. I make about 5 calls a month to my parents or to friends just to say hi.

Cell phones are totally unnecessary, and there are days when I forget mine, it certainly doesn't bother me if that happens.

the attitude that everyone should be reachable at all times is one I disagree with, though I do keep my cell phone on me at all times simply b/c my wife does feel that everyone should be reachable at all times, and its easier to just keep my phone on me

But anyway, I do like not having a land line, it saves us money.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #19
primelord
Pro Rookie

I think WSUCougar made a thread simialr to this awhile ago and I commented in there that people talking all cell phones while driving isn't always such a clear cut issue. I used to design and implement wireless networks for a company a few years ago. I would often be on my way to a site and have to take calls from my boss and or customers while I was on the road.

I think several people commented that in situations like that you should pull over to the side of the road or just tell your boss you refuse to talk while driving. These both sound fine in principal, btu when you have two upset customers and you are supposed to be at X site in 10 minutes there are only so many things you can do. It is easy to take the moral high ground and say you would refuse to talk while driving when you aren't put in that situation, but it is another thing entirely when you have a family to support and your job "requires" it.

Luckily I am no longer with that compnay and my current job doesn't require me to really ever be on the cell phone let alone when driving. So this isn't an issue for me anymore and I understand that a large portion of the people talking on cell phones while driving probably aren't doing it for work related reasons. I just wanted to comment that I don;t think it is always as simple as just expecting these people not to do it.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #20
thetrilogy
Mascot

There is absolutely NO need to be on a cell phone while driving.
Pay attention to what the f**k you are doing.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #21
cuervo72
Head Coach

As the father of a 5 year old boy, this saddens me...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I guess I just see too many people with it strapped to their ear 12 hours a day and constantly checking to see if they missed something.

I have no problem with the concept or convienience or securtiy. It's the I have to be reachable mentality that annoys me.

I have one but it's just there in case I need it. I have a land line so I've made probably 2 calls on it in the last 2 months.

If it's your primary phone, well that's another matter. But you find tons of people that think you are weird or square if you are not carrying a cellphone.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Vonage is awesome. Until they inevitably tax the fuck out of it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #24
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
As for the phone company racket, I'm looking into what to do about our landline right now. Once I can figure out what to do about DirecTV and the DirecTIVO (yeah, I know I can hack them, but I'm not quite willing to do that yet) I may well have Vonage. $25/month (plus whatever for 911 service) vs. $70/month is a no-brainer. The phone companies are going to be in serious trouble...

I can only speak for my experience, but I had Directv for about a year without a phone line. I just couldn't order pay-per-view, everything else is a one way connection anyways. I have also heard that TIVO works the same way, but can't personally confirm this.

As far as the phone company goes, you have to dump them. I live about 20 miles southwest of Saint Louis and the phone company charged a $20 a month fee to call into the metro area. (where most of my friends and family live) Well this may have made sense 30 years ago when they were laying the lines, now it is just a monopoly out of control. They tried to get me back when I dropped the service but can't understand why for $35 a month I can basically call anywhere from anywhere in the United States but for $35 from them I have to make toll calls to St. Louis. I hope for all of the jobs the are poised to lose that someone at the phone company gets a clue!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
I hope we can all agree that the only things more annoying than cellphone users are the crotchety old bastards that complain about them...

Agreed.

I think it should be illegal to drive and talk on a cellphone. It's incredibly dangerous. But cellphones themselves are pretty handy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I think WSUCougar made a thread simialr to this awhile ago and I commented in there that people talking all cell phones while driving isn't always such a clear cut issue. I used to design and implement wireless networks for a company a few years ago. I would often be on my way to a site and have to take calls from my boss and or customers while I was on the road.

I think several people commented that in situations like that you should pull over to the side of the road or just tell your boss you refuse to talk while driving. These both sound fine in principal, btu when you have two upset customers and you are supposed to be at X site in 10 minutes there are only so many things you can do. It is easy to take the moral high ground and say you would refuse to talk while driving when you aren't put in that situation, but it is another thing entirely when you have a family to support and your job "requires" it.

Luckily I am no longer with that compnay and my current job doesn't require me to really ever be on the cell phone let alone when driving. So this isn't an issue for me anymore and I understand that a large portion of the people talking on cell phones while driving probably aren't doing it for work related reasons. I just wanted to comment that I don;t think it is always as simple as just expecting these people not to do it.

Right but it's a self created situation by humans. It's not enough now to tell your customer, I'll be there in an hour.

It's not enough now to say "honey I'll be home around 7". You get a call asking where you are at.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #27
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm pretty sure it *is* illegal to drive and use a cellphone, at least in most states.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #28
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy
There is absolutely NO need to be on a cell phone while driving. Pay attention to what the f**k you are doing.
You know, it *is* possible to talk on a cell phone and pay attention while driving...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #29
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I don't agree with the idea of making talking on a cell phone while driving illegal. What about talking to another passenger in the car? Eating? Changing radio stations? Picking up something off the floor? Handing something to a child in the back seat? Daydreaming? All of these things are potentially dangerous and can cause accidents. Do we make them all illegal?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #30
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess I just see too many people with it strapped to their ear 12 hours a day and constantly checking to see if they missed something.

I have no problem with the concept or convienience or securtiy. It's the I have to be reachable mentality that annoys me.

I have one but it's just there in case I need it. I have a land line so I've made probably 2 calls on it in the last 2 months.

If it's your primary phone, well that's another matter. But you find tons of people that think you are weird or square if you are not carrying a cellphone.

I will agree with this. I have friends that will constantly check their phones for messages when they are hanging out with 95% of their friends at the time! But these type of people will always find something annoying to do to make themselves look important, so I don't know that it is the fault of the cell phone.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #31
condors
College Starter

I hate phones, i will rarely answer mine(my dad long distance sometimes my brother or sister) my friends know to email me in advance if they want to set something up, or just stop by and we can see whats going on. work a job where you phone rings 100 times a day and you may not want to answer one or talk on one when you get home. The wife will answer the phone and has a cell phone so i wouldn't call me complelety unreachable and i have one for work (if i am not on call i don't have it on and nobody knows i have it)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #32
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
I can only speak for my experience, but I had Directv for about a year without a phone line. I just couldn't order pay-per-view, everything else is a one way connection anyways. I have also heard that TIVO works the same way, but can't personally confirm this.

Yup, we have DirectTV and Tivo and no phone line. We took the box to our old apartment when we first got it and set it up on the phone line there, that's the only time we ever needed it.

We can even get pay per view, we just have to order it online on the website instead of through the TV.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:46 PM   #33
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I think WSUCougar made a thread similar to this awhile ago and I commented in there that people talking all cell phones while driving isn't always such a clear cut issue.
You mean THIS ONE?

As I've said before, you can justify the use of cell phones while driving, and I'm sure there are many examples of responsible people who can and do use them safely all the time.

What you cannot convince me of, however, is that in general cell phone usage among drivers is not a serious and dangerous plague upon our roads. Almost every single day I see obvious instances of its hazards. Almost every single day - and I'm not purposefully trying to find them. Sometimes, while I'm waiting at a left turn light, the number of drivers going by with phones stuck to their ears will far outnumber those without. It's truly scary.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #34
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Right but it's a self created situation by humans. It's not enough now to tell your customer, I'll be there in an hour.

It's not enough now to say "honey I'll be home around 7". You get a call asking where you are at.

I agree that is the problem. People make comments a lot like "Businesses used to get by without cell phones before why can't they now". There are two problems there. 1) As you pointed out they have set the expectation level higher now for their customers. Customers expect faster service and to be able to reach you at any time. 2) There will always be at least one company willing to use cell phones in this manner to get an edge. So that forces all competeing companies to do the same.

The resolution to this problem (in the business world) would be for all companies to agree to stop participating in it and for all customers to accept a lesser level of service because of it. Neither one of those things is going to happen. The only other way I see a real solution to this is if they do make it illegal to talk and drive in every state and they start enforcing it.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #35
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I agree that is the problem. People make comments a lot like "Businesses used to get by without cell phones before why can't they now". There are two problems there. 1) As you pointed out they have set the expectation level higher now for their customers. Customers expect faster service and to be able to reach you at any time. 2) There will always be at least one company willing to use cell phones in this manner to get an edge. So that forces all competeing companies to do the same.

The resolution to this problem (in the business world) would be for all companies to agree to stop participating in it and for all customers to accept a lesser level of service because of it. Neither one of those things is going to happen. The only other way I see a real solution to this is if they do make it illegal to talk and drive in every state and they start enforcing it.

You are correct. There is no way around it now. I speak idealistically and not realistically.

I guess that's why everyone turns into old bastards. The 30-40 crowd now can't believe the speed of information and technology. The teens to 30 can't believe it never existed.

Fast forward 40 years and at 80 we'll just shake our head and go play shuffleboard while the 30-40 group doesn't understand why you need anything else but cell phones. The teens to 30 will wonder how we survived with just cell phones.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
If you've ever been charged $200 for one day of service by Ameritech, cell phones begin to look pretty good.

How the hell did you rack up a $200 Ameritech charge? I though they were an ISP. Were you connecting through your cellphone or something?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #37
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
How the hell did you rack up a $200 Ameritech charge? I though they were an ISP. Were you connecting through your cellphone or something?

SI

Speaking of which, I'm probably going to have to move to a blackberry-type phone soon. How much extra is the email/browsing service going to cost me a month?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #38
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This reminds me of a comedy bit I heard:

"Nowadays, cell phones are pretty widely accepted, but a couple of years ago they weren't. Every time I'd answer my cell there'd always be that one person giving me a dirty look.....Was this person doing that for every invention? What about the umbrella? 'Oh, I'm not scared of getting wet!' "

Or something like that....
Old 03-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Get Off My Lawn!

SI

Old 03-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #40
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

Ameritech is a phone service in Wisconsin (and maybe illinois too). It was about 5 years ago anyway. I think it still is the main one there.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #41
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I do not use my cell phone all that much, but I find it extremely useful and comforting with a wife and two kids. You never know what could happen. And, if nothing else, it comes in very handy. If I go to the store to pick up 4 items, and the wife forgets to tell me to pick up the 5th, it's certainly not life and death to have to go back out to the store, but it's also very nice to be able to find that information out while walking around the store.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know, it *is* possible to talk on a cell phone and pay attention while driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
As I've said before, you can justify the use of cell phones while driving, and I'm sure there are many examples of responsible people who can and do use them safely all the time.

What you cannot convince me of, however, is that in general cell phone usage among drivers is not a serious and dangerous plague upon our roads. Almost every single day I see obvious instances of its hazards. Almost every single day - and I'm not purposefully trying to find them. Sometimes, while I'm waiting at a left turn light, the number of drivers going by with phones stuck to their ears will far outnumber those without. It's truly scary.

Just my opinion.

Exactly- you *can* drive safely with a cell phone. Very rarely do people do this.

SI

Old 03-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #43
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
You are correct. There is no way around it now. I speak idealistically and not realistically.

I guess that's why everyone turns into old bastards. The 30-40 crowd now can't believe the speed of information and technology. The teens to 30 can't believe it never existed.

Fast forward 40 years and at 80 we'll just shake our head and go play shuffleboard while the 30-40 group doesn't understand why you need anything else but cell phones. The teens to 30 will wonder how we survived with just cell phones.

You won't need cell phones when your 80. Everyone will have Microsoft communication nanobots in their body.

Last edited by Desnudo : 03-30-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #44
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
You won't need cell phones when your 80. Everyone will have Microsoft communication nanobots in their body.

I will resist even if futile.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #45
Desnudo
Coordinator

I find it amazing that some people think driving with one hand while talking on the phone with another isn't a big distraction. Driving isn't like getting a carton of milk out of the fridge.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #46
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

Stupid mark of the beast (in my best Homer Simpson voice).
Old 03-30-2005, 02:30 PM   #47
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Do you think we will need napkins in the future, or is this whole mouth-vacuum thing for real?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #48
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I find it amazing that some people think driving with one hand while talking on the phone with another isn't a big distraction. Driving isn't like getting a carton of milk out of the fridge.

I don't think it's the physical act. Many people drive with one hand anyway.

It's the mental energy into listening, planning a response and responding that occupys the mind.

For some reason the phone and phone conversation occupys more of your attention than the radio, passengers or eating. Someone smarter than me might be able to explain it.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #49
st.cronin
General Manager

You people are all going to die of brain cancer.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #50
hhiipp
College Prospect

nm

Last edited by hhiipp : 03-30-2005 at 02:32 PM.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote