Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Broncos d-line = Browns d-line of last year?

Earlier, the Broncos traded for Gerard Warren. They just recently signed Courtney Brown and now this

From FoxSports,

Quote:
Broncos, Browns close to a deal
Story Tools: Print Email XML
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 42 minutes ago

The Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos are close to a trade that would strongly bolster the Browns backfield before the draft while giving Denver their second first-round DE in two days.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that the Browns and Broncos are in deep talks regarding a trade that would send last year's Broncos breakout back Reuben Droughns to Cleveland for defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban.
Ekuban, the former first-round pick, had surgery recently on his knee and shoulder and is not expected to be healthy until May. He is expected to visit the Broncos this week, but due to the health concerns, the two sides have discussed working out appropriate draft choice compensation for the 2006 draft if Ekuban cannot return to full strength in time for the season. However, if Ekuban's physical pans out well, the two sides may agree to a straight up player-for-player deal without any stipulation.

Droughns amassed a surprising 1,240 yards rushing last year, impressive numbers considering he didn't take over the primary ball carrier role until the second week of October. He also hauled in an impressive 32 passes for 241 yards and scored eight TDs — six on the ground. Droughns had six 100-yard rushing games — including games of 193, 176 and 166 yards — as Denver's coaching staff and offensive line churned out yet another 1,000-yard rusher.

Ekuban, a former first-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, had his best sack total of his career in 2004 when he tabbed eight QB takedowns. His previous high was 6.5 during his sophomore season. His former defensive line coach in Cleveland, Andre Patterson, is now an assistant on the Broncos' staff.

Droughns joins a Browns backfield that was split between William Green and Lee Suggs last year. However, Droughns was more productive than those two combined last season. The move also allows Cleveland to focus on a position other than running back in the first round of this year's draft.

TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

There have been people saying, for years, "The Broncos turn any stiff into a good RB - they should just trade these guys after they have a good year or two." Maybe the Broncos are reading their own clippings.

As for whether you would want the whole Browns' defensive line, I guess that's up for grabs.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Did I miss Cleveland apparently having such a dominant D-Line that other teams couldn't wait to raid it???

I really like Shanahan, but this is just nuts.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
amdaily
College Prospect

Bad trade for both teams. The Browns get a RB that will never produce anything outside of Denver, and the Broncos get a mediore DL who is injured to begin with.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

This makes perfect sense. The Browns are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and feel that the guys they had didn't fit into a 3-4 so they're dumping them.

The Broncos are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and feel that the guys they had didn't fit into a 3-4 so they're picking up guys that will fit from a team that didn't need them anymore.

Perfect sense. Yup.

Does anybody find it strange that all of a sudden half the league is switching to a 3-4, but nobody has players that fit the scheme and will end up with the Raiders D from last year?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
There have been people saying, for years, "The Broncos turn any stiff into a good RB - they should just trade these guys after they have a good year or two." Maybe the Broncos are reading their own clippings.

As for whether you would want the whole Browns' defensive line, I guess that's up for grabs.

Tatum Bell pretty much locked the job up at the end of last year. Mike Anderson is coming back and the Broncos have a couple of guys they really like at the fullback spot. Not really reading the clippings there, they just have too many guys for too few spots.

As for Denver snagging the entire Browns D-Line. . . that scares the hell out of me. The only good thing is that none of these guys are a huge cap concern if they suck. Warren is in the final year of his deal. Brown signed an incentive laden contract and Ekuban doesn't have the richest deal in the world either.

I like this trade for the Browns. While Reuben will never match what he did last year in Denver, he's a good "intangibles" guy. He'll do anything asked of him, is a solid blocker, is a very good special teams performer and can run the ball in spot duty. I think Browns will be happy with the guy they are getting.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Ekuban?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hmmmm, now this just clouds up my fantasy football backfield. Hope Bell locks the spot up tight in training camp so Anderson doesn't get any delusions of stardom. I could really use Bell to be a 1,200 yard, 8 TD back.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Tatum Bell pretty much locked the job up at the end of last year. Mike Anderson is coming back and the Broncos have a couple of guys they really like at the fullback spot. Not really reading the clippings there, they just have too many guys for too few spots.

I don't disagree... but has there been a time in the last, say, eight years when this wasn't really the case for Denver? They have had such good fortune (or good planning/scouting) with running backs, it seems like anyone is basically expendable.

I'm not being critical... I don't happen to think that Droughns is any more exciting than Bell or Griffith or anyone else. Just seems like they are following through, and spinning off guys who had a good little run in their system.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Now if the Browns could just give away the rest of their team they might be competitive this year
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
Celeval
Pro Starter

Brown was a very good pickup for Denver. I would have liked to have seen Cleveland resign him - he was cut because of a $2.5m bonus due, and they were in negotiations even afterwards. His problem isn't talent, just injuries... but he's played well when he has played, and he was a great character guy. I wish him well.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #12
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I don't get why the Browns dont want Suggs or Green? Well Green I can maybe understand. But Droughns?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I don't disagree... but has there been a time in the last, say, eight years when this wasn't really the case for Denver? They have had such good fortune (or good planning/scouting) with running backs, it seems like anyone is basically expendable.

I'm not being critical... I don't happen to think that Droughns is any more exciting than Bell or Griffith or anyone else. Just seems like they are following through, and spinning off guys who had a good little run in their system.

Yep, no doubt about it QS. If you are a running back with the Broncos, the worst thing you can do is ask for a huge pay raise.

They shipped Portis last year and Gary a year or so before that. They were really close to shipping Anderson out as well, but he accepted his role and stayed.

Droughns wanted a big pay raise and demanded a trade at the start of the off season. Big mistake on his part. I doubt he knew how horrible the market would be for RB's this offseason when he initially made his demand. He won't get anymore of a shot to start in Cleveland than he did here.

As for the Browns thing, even in this era of FA, has anyone ever seen 3 defensive lineman go from one team to another in the same off season? Once thing that may not be mentioned in the national papers is that Denver picked up the DL coach of the Browns this offseason. I'm sure the familiarity with the guys is one of the reasons they are doing it.

That said, Cleveland wasn't exactly the '75 Steelers. I'm not sure how any of these guys are going to be better than what we had here last year.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:54 AM   #14
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

This is the deal pending the players passing their physicals.

Denver gets DE Ebenezer Ekuban and DT Michael Myers (yes another Browns D-lineman), Browns get RB Reuben Droughns.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:32 AM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
This is the deal pending the players passing their physicals.

Denver gets DE Ebenezer Ekuban and DT Michael Myers (yes another Browns D-lineman), Browns get RB Reuben Droughns.

Sweet. The Rockies used to have Mike Myers pitch in the bullpen. Everytime the guy makes a tackle, I want the Halloween music.

Our overtaking of the entire Browns line is almost complete. From the coach to the players, we've got em all. They are ALL ours.

Oh dear God it's true. They really are all ours. . .
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Actually, with Ekuban and Myers it looks like they're trying to become the old Cowboys d-line as well...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote