Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Question What If: FOF2001, Madden, FOF Online & Solecismic

Let's set the wayback machine to August 2000. Imagine that instead of what actually happened:

* FOF2001 was released on time and not abruptly yanked,
* A demo was placed on each Madden CD-ROM, and
* FOF Online proceeded on schedule

What would the landscape of football sims look like today?

I have my own ideas, but I don't want to influence things just yet. Discuss.

Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

* FOFC becomes hell, with all the popularity making the board more crowded than ever.
* SkyDog becomes bitter and jaded. We never see the patriotic undies.
* HornsManiac never gets banned - his noise is never anything more than static in a hurricane of FOF fanboys.
* Osama bin Laden gets hooked on his FOF online league. Al quaida plot to destroy the WTC is foiled due to lack of organizational support. 9/11 never happens. We still invade Iraq. Colin Powell resigns in protest, and beats W. in the 2004 election as an independent.
* EA pumps more money into the text sim business. FOF now cost $49.95 every year. Online leagues require subscriptions. Comfortably wealthy from his cut, Jim splits from EA to pursue his dream of creating a text-based dwarf tossing sim. Fritz petitions for the inclusion of midgets (because they're not the same as dwarves).
* FODTC is born. It's not much different than what we have here right now, except in the true spirit of independent, rebellious thinking, we still have a QOTM.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

* I get all the graphical spiffyness I want.
* The game goes steadily downhill.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm a broke ass mofo having to spend $20/month on each of my six on-line FOF leagues...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
* FOFC becomes hell, with all the popularity making the board more crowded than ever.
* HornsManiac never gets banned - his noise is never anything more than static in a hurricane of FOF fanboys.
* Osama bin Laden gets hooked on his FOF online league. Al quaida plot to destroy the WTC is foiled due to lack of organizational support. 9/11 never happens. We still invade Iraq. Colin Powell resigns in protest, and beats W. in the 2004 election as an independent.
* EA pumps more money into the text sim business. FOF now cost $49.95 every year. Online leagues require subscriptions. Comfortably wealthy from his cut, Jim splits from EA to pursue his dream of creating a text-based dwarf tossing sim. Fritz petitions for the inclusion of midgets (because they're not the same as dwarves).
* FODTC is born. It's not much different than what we have here right now, except in the true spirit of independent, rebellious thinking, we still have a QOTM.

brilliant

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I'm a broke ass mofo having to spend $20/month on each of my six on-line FOF leagues...

$20 HA!!!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
Blackadar
Retired

SkyDog doesn't even get the site. I wouldn't have had the falling-out with EA and Jim and would still be a fanboy.

So I'd get paid to run FOFC, turn it into a personal full-time blogg and retire rich and famous.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

I didnt think FOF has that much of an impact on the world.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Neat thoughts so far; keep 'em coming.

One outsider's look at what might have happened:

* Madden's career options would look more like FOF's
* FOF would be more graphically pleasing (thanks to Gigawatt, the Madden folks & others) while retaining most of the same managerial options (thanks to Jim)
* Future FOFs would continue to be produced by EA & Jim; not so sure if Gigawatt would still be around
* FOF2001 would have gotten a patch, but probably just one
* No free updates to future FOFs (other than the patches); if you want the latest & greatest, you'd have to pay
* TCY would still be a Solecismic product, but probably the only one until Jim's next game (maybe)
* FOF Online still wouldn't have worked, because the subscription-based model (which I think was the idea at the time) wouldn't have generated enough revenue
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Anthony
Banned

there wouldn't have been an "Attack of the 5 year olds" thread because this place would be heavily moderated by EA's people.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #11
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I'd do PR stuff for FOF in France !
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote