Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Update: Twins Are HERE!!!

I really should be asleep right now. I have to be up in 5 hours to go to the hospital. They're inducing my wife tomorrow morning, and I should be the father of twins around lunchtime.

So here's my question: when my son Andrew was born, I was very excited. This time around, I really feel like throwing up. I've figured it's because my life will change so profoundly, and because I'm stressed about being responsible for five kids.

Here's my question for you fathers out there: is this normal? Did you go through this period of dread? I honestly don't really remember feeling this way when my son Andrew was born, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if I did, and those memories were wiped out once I saw him for the first time.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by CamEdwards : 03-29-2005 at 11:30 AM.
CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Easy Mac

I was hoping this was about beer.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

AND TWINS!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

I went through very similar feelings when Scarlett was born.

My son (17 months now), was pure anxious excitement. I was stoked.

With the daughter, it was more "holy shit, I still have one in diapers... and the next one's a girl... am I ready for this?" I honestly was in no hurry for it to happen.

I will say this... when the time came, it was all good. The fear and anxiety dissipated, and I was just plain happy to be a dad again.

You've got twins on the way, and I imagine that'd freak me out... but you've been down this road before... you survived one infant... with the next two... you'll see similarities... and it'll be like "hey, I remember this... no sweat."
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I went through very similar feelings when Scarlett was born.

My son (17 months now), was pure anxious excitement. I was stoked.

With the daughter, it was more "holy shit, I still have one in diapers... and the next one's a girl... am I ready for this?" I honestly was in no hurry for it to happen.

I will say this... when the time came, it was all good. The fear and anxiety dissipated, and I was just plain happy to be a dad again.

You've got twins on the way, and I imagine that'd freak me out... but you've been down this road before... you survived one infant... with the next two... you'll see similarities... and it'll be like "hey, I remember this... no sweat."

I was hoping you'd chime in. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's freaked out. Thanks Franklin.

And ct and easymac... thanks for mocking my angst. I hope you have nothing but daughters. Easy daughters who give themselves in the back of vans to wanna-be hair metal drummers.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Dola... couldn't resist...

Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I can't help you much as our two sons are seven years apart, and we're stopping at two, so no girls in there or anything, but I can understand the feeling. I agree with what Franklin said.

Oh, and good luck to you and your wife tomorrow. You'll both be in my thoughts.

FM
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I only have one kid, and I was fine leading up to her birth.

But right now, I do dread a second kid. We are not trying right now, but part of that may be because my wife knows I am rather terrified to see her go through birth again. When my daughter was born, it was not a very good experience seeing her get stuck, and then start turning a very bad color. And I will cut this short because the last thing I need to do is give you such positive images. Anyways, I really do not want to go through the whole thing again....That is the part of another child I dread the most.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Oh yeah, you have a name for the boy half of these twins yet? Been following this on your show as much as I can......
Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Here's my question for you fathers out there: is this normal? Did you go through this period of dread? I honestly don't really remember feeling this way when my son Andrew was born, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if I did, and those memories were wiped out once I saw him for the first time.

no question at all that I was dreading the 2nd time. mostly because then I knew what I'd be in for - the labor, the lack of sleep, the need for constant attention. The first time, you know that stuff is coming, but the second time you've experienced it firsthand.

one plus is that it actually all is a little easier the 2nd time around...well, unless you have twins, that is.

good luck!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
no question at all that I was dreading the 2nd time. mostly because then I knew what I'd be in for - the labor, the lack of sleep, the need for constant attention. The first time, you know that stuff is coming, but the second time you've experienced it firsthand.

one plus is that it actually all is a little easier the 2nd time around...well, unless you have twins, that is.

good luck!
I feel exactly the same way, and then some.

My second son is due in less than 3 weeks, and on one hand I am really looking forward to it. With my first, it took me awhile to catch on to the parenting thing. Just when I got the hang of it - poof - all of the sudden he's 1, then 18 months, then 2. It went by just that quickly. With this one, though, I have reasonable confidence that I know what I am doing and will be able to enjoy this one rather than worrying about doing everything correctly.

On the other hand, however, I am terrified about how I am going to be able to split my time and attention between the two. My oldest is 26 months old, and is in a very key point in all aspects of his developmental life - educational, emotional, and behavioral. But a newborn saps all of your time and energy for the first few months of its life. It really scares me that I will be partially responsible for both of their lives, and yet I will not be able to give either the amount of attention that would be optimal.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just wanted to say Good Luck to you and your wife, Cam.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:03 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
My oldest is 26 months old, and is in a very key point in all aspects of his developmental life - educational, emotional, and behavioral. But a newborn saps all of your time and energy for the first few months of its life. It really scares me that I will be partially responsible for both of their lives, and yet I will not be able to give either the amount of attention that would be optimal.

and that part of it is harder with 2 kids. I do not recall ever being this tired in my life. Hannah was born almost 3 months ago, and I've had a full night of sleep exactly twice since then.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am dreading this one we have on the way. (Aug 17th) The wife I think is dreading it even more. It's been 5 years since our son was born, I feel like I will have forgot everything.

I am with you on that Cam, but you know what, I think it will all change once they are here.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And ct and easymac... thanks for mocking my angst. I hope you have nothing but daughters. Easy daughters who give themselves in the back of vans to wanna-be hair metal drummers.

You posted on FOFC and expected something else?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:25 AM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
I feel exactly the same way, and then some.

My second son is due in less than 3 weeks, and on one hand I am really looking forward to it. With my first, it took me awhile to catch on to the parenting thing. Just when I got the hang of it - poof - all of the sudden he's 1, then 18 months, then 2. It went by just that quickly. With this one, though, I have reasonable confidence that I know what I am doing and will be able to enjoy this one rather than worrying about doing everything correctly.

On the other hand, however, I am terrified about how I am going to be able to split my time and attention between the two. My oldest is 26 months old, and is in a very key point in all aspects of his developmental life - educational, emotional, and behavioral. But a newborn saps all of your time and energy for the first few months of its life. It really scares me that I will be partially responsible for both of their lives, and yet I will not be able to give either the amount of attention that would be optimal.

Excellent points. Especially on the "splitting time" issue.

We worried about Bubba a lot... 17 months is pretty young, and we figured he'd be a little confused and possibly jealous over a newborn showing up and taking away any affection that might otherwise be directed at him.

He was jealous - for about two days. Now he's just fascinated by his baby sister. He's constantly checking her out. And he learned her name in under two weeks - remarkable, as "Scarlett" is not an easy word for one so young, and he pronounces it almost flawlessly.

Other couples I know have had similar experiences - brief bouts of jealousy, but, generally, nothing prolonged. The fact is that those little ones are too short on memory to really hold a grudge over something like that, and in most cases, they rather like having a sibling (or two) around.

As others have said, the prior experience is going to be your greatest ally. You'll recognize just about everything as it comes along, and you'll react much better. I am truly having an easier time with Scarlett than I did with Bubba... part of that may be that she's a little more mellow than he was, but part is definately due to the fact that she can't really surprise me with too much right now - I know all the newborn baby tricks.

I'll be praying for a safe delivery tomorrow. I hope everything goes well, and you enjoy the new additions to your family. I'm sure by this time in two weeks, you'll be 100% confident in what you're doing, and just proud to be Dad.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:30 AM   #17
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

First, good luck!

Second, I'm pretty laid back to begin with, so niether baby got me overly anxious. Then again, they are almost 5 years apart, and we only have 2, so there wasn't this feeling of being overwhemed, since the 5-year old actually helps more than she is a distraction.

The 5-year old is definitely clingy, though, and I can see splitting time between the 2 of them becoming an issue as the baby gets older and can do more than crawl around and throw toys. The 5-year old insists on sitting on my lap or jumps on my back whenever she can, even when I'm trying to play with the baby. But so far, so good.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #18
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Good luck Cam!

I couldn't imagine.

I just starting talking to some chick, that is a triplet (bro/sis not identical) but then she also has a pair of older (i think) twin brothers. That has got to be crazy.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #19
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Good luck Cam!

I couldn't imagine.

I just starting talking to some chick, that is a triplet (bro/sis not identical) but then she also has a pair of older (i think) twin brothers. That has got to be crazy.

I will give you 1 Million dollars to attempt to bang all 5 of them and start a dynasty about it.

Oh, and good luck and congratulations Cam.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #20
Cuckoo
College Starter

Good luck and congrats Cam. Keep us updated.

And you too Balldog... on that new dynasty...
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #21
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I am guessing in 30 days I will have a post about her wanting to be just friends.... haha j/k

The real question is will these little guys have hair?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats, Cam! I hope everything is smooth and uneventful today...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #23
Pyser
Pro Rookie

congrats cam!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #24
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

everything was indeed smooth and uneventful. We were in the hospital by 5, and the babies were born at 9:04 and 9:09 a.m.

James Peter is 7 pounds 6 ounces, and Catherine Marie is 8 pounds even. Photos are available at http://www.camedwards.com/archives/002133.html
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Those are some big twins! Congrats!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:34 AM   #26
Radii
Head Coach

WOOHOO congrats Cam
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #27
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
everything was indeed smooth and uneventful. We were in the hospital by 5, and the babies were born at 9:04 and 9:09 a.m.

James Peter is 7 pounds 6 ounces, and Catherine Marie is 8 pounds even. Photos are available at http://www.camedwards.com/archives/002133.html
Yes, congrads! Your life is now over, Daddy!!!

One way to tell them apart: One has an innie, one an outie!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Congrats Cam
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #29
hhiipp
College Prospect

You could have at least had your wife smile.. "Smile honey, all the guys on the message board are going to see this!"
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #30
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What's the phrase, "picsplskthx"

Congrats, CE and Mommy!
Good luck with that sleep thing.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #31
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #32
revrew
Team Chaplain

Congrats, Cam!

And, yes, the period of shock and dread is perfectly normal. Even after 10. Just don't let your wife in on it too much...they seem to rarely understand.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to you Cam.

And, uhm, I noticed James is already moving that finger up his nose, you might want to lay down the law on that one soon....
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #34
Franklinnoble
Banned

Wow... those are big kids for twins! Congratulations!

Better tell them to stop picking their noses.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #35
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

wow, aren't twins supposed to be smallish babies??? Heck, you're wife had over 15 pounds of baby in her!!!

oh, congrats to the mommy! Daddy, well your work was done many months ago, it stopped then, it starts again... NOW!

FM
Old 03-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #36
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to you and your family, Cam.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #38
vtbub
College Starter

Congrats!

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #39
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Congratulations! They're beautiful Cam, nice work. I hope you plan to be the houseboy for Elaine this week - that's 15lbs of baby she just squeezed out.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
wow, aren't twins supposed to be smallish babies??? Heck, you're wife had over 15 pounds of baby in her!!!

Did you see the pic of Cam's wife before the delivery?!?!?!

http://www.camedwards.com/archives/images/327belly.JPG

Edit: Whoa, that was bigger than it was on Cam's site...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 03-29-2005 at 12:05 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #41
sportsfan13
H.S. Freshman Team

They look like their daddy! Congrats!
sportsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 PM   #42
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

congrats!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #43
Suicane75
Coordinator

Congratulations man.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:30 PM   #44
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Congrats to Cam and all of the old and new Edwardses!!!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #45
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Congrats!

I still say you shoulda named them Palom and Porom, though.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #46
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Congrats Cam and Mrs!

I am very happy for you, you know your twins mean a lot to me.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #47
duckman
Pro Starter

Congrats, Cam! The kids are beautiful!
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan

oh, congrats to the mommy! Daddy, well your work was done many months ago, it stopped then, it starts again... NOW!

FM
Yeah, no kidding. Not just one big baby, but, two. Mrs. Edwards must have had her hands (well, stomach?) full with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Congrats!

I still say you shoulda named them Palom and Porom, though.
CW- that's why I like you. You're old school

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-29-2005 at 01:08 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #49
Subby
lolzcat

Dude - what an absolute blessing. Congrats.

Having twins is the coolest two-for-one special ever devised.

And trust me - as hard as your life is going to be for the next year, it eventually gets easier.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #50
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Congrats, Cam!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote