Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Wink I love FM2005

For all of the people who may think that the "I Hate FM2005" thread is really about hate, let me say it isn't. We all love the game, we simply hate the fact it's too darn addictive...

now, I said it, no more misleading people into thinking that FM2005 is sooooo bad

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Thread thief
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I prefer the other thread
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I never took FM to start a "parody" thread.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Ironically this thread title will probably only get a fraction of responses the other two did.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #6
Runtheball
High School JV

When will they invent wearable computers? I want to take FM with me wherever I go. Was up till 3:30 a.m. last night. I think the wife is getting a bit ticked-off, but I can't help it. I'm a junkie!

To think I knew (and cared) nothing about soccer a couple weeks ago. I always thought there was no strategy to it, and it was just a bunch of guys running around trying to get a clean shot into the net. Hah!

When does the next world cup start?
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
When will they invent wearable computers? I want to take FM with me wherever I go. Was up till 3:30 a.m. last night. I think the wife is getting a bit ticked-off, but I can't help it. I'm a junkie!

To think I knew (and cared) nothing about soccer a couple weeks ago. I always thought there was no strategy to it, and it was just a bunch of guys running around trying to get a clean shot into the net. Hah!

When does the next world cup start?

Summer of 2006. Just wait until you hit the point where you actually start watching soccer on TV.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Summer of 2006. Just wait until you hit the point where you actually start watching soccer on TV.

Yep, CM 03/04 made me start watching EPL Soccer whenever I could on Fox Sports Net (or whatever the channel is called.)

Now, I find myself watching taped Manchester United matches while I coach them in FM
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Yep, CM 03/04 made me start watching EPL Soccer whenever I could on Fox Sports Net (or whatever the channel is called.)

Now, I find myself watching taped Manchester United matches while I coach them in FM

Hopefully Runtheball will choose Goodness and Light over Evil and Darkness, when the time comes for him.

Last edited by Desnudo : 03-27-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Eaglefan,
Up here, we get YES Network (the Yankees channel). They have a partnership with MU Television. They'll play the previous week's game about 1-2 times a week. Good stuff (though I'm not a huge fan of the team, but I love to watch the stars they have).

Speaking of which, is ESPN/ESPN2 carrying any more Champions League matches?

Last edited by SunDancer : 03-27-2005 at 10:35 PM.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Eaglefan,
Up here, we get YES Network (the Yankees channel). They have a partnership with MU Television. They'll play the previous week's game about 1-2 times a week. Good stuff (though I'm not a huge fan of the team, but I love to watch the stars they have).

ESPN will carry maybe 1 or 2 matches from each round. ESPN Desportes shows them all. I picked up the Spanish tier from cable even though I don't speak Spanish. Best way to get soccer coverage with Cox Cable in AZ. Someday I might break down and get a dish so I can have GolTV, but until then it is FSC and ESPND.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #12
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer

Still only 1 game each week for the quarter finals, Liverpool v Juventus on 4/5, Inter v AC Milan on 4/12. After this round, ESPN2 will be covering both legs of both semifinals live and the final too.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

It's the Fox Soccer Channel. How could you get that wrong?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
condors
College Starter

I have been following the league since 96 (when i played CM for the first time). I spent years reading play by play after the fact, reading about the players back in the dialup days on the internet. A few years ago i could watch a game on PPV for 20 bucks and i was happy to do it, if it was Manutd vs Arsenal, Liverpool, or whoever was in the top 6 in the league at the time.

I think that is a great compliement that a game makes you a fan of the sport (although i had been a fan of the MLS since it started in 93 and was a fan of the old soccer league when i was just a little pee wee player)

I was trying to get to sleep last night and i kept going over my roster for the Crew and i want to add players thru the draft who would they be taking the place of. So far i love playing the MLS you have a roster limit and a salary limit and in the fact you can only have so many players over the age of 18 and only 3 senior international players. I like the whole lets get in some young american players in the squad. It has been a long time since thinking about a game has made me lose some sleep.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, since this is the FM thread closest to the top, I'll ask my questions here.

I just took a job at Northampton, midway through the year. They promised me an 80K transfer budget, but when I tried to buy a player for 2K, I was told I didn't have the funds. I figured that since it was midway through the year, my budget had been spent by the previous manager. But then I get a notice saying that the board has made an injection of another 80K. With this, I bought two players for 2K each, then when I tried to buy another player for 4K, I was told I didn't have the funds. What's happening to all my money?

Also, a more general question, how do I build up a youth system? I've been trying to buy as many cheap young players as I can, and hope that one or two develop. Will I ever 'get' players, like have one of the grayed-out U18 guys turn white or something?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #16
condors
College Starter

Passacaglia: if you gave those 2 players signing bonuses and are trying to give that third player a signing bonus, they count toward the 80K,
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

Following Pass's lead, I have a question on work permits.

I have a striker from South Africa who is scoring at a crazy rate (23 goals at midseason). When I go to resign him, it says he can't get a work permit. Now he's played for me for 2-3 years already, and I don't even have an option to appeal it - which seems weird since he had to have a work permit in the first place. So my question is what's the rule for resigning someone that needs a work permit, and is there any way to resign him ... or do I have to let his contract expire and go after him again?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #18
condors
College Starter

moriarty-has he played in 75% of your matches? if not you will not be able to renew. not sure if he is close enough but keep playing him(even if he is hurt bring him on in the 90th minute) and hopefully you can resign him before the contract runs out.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Freaking work permit rules. I've been burned myself on occasion. Needless to say, if there are work permit issues, make sure the person you are getting is either a starter for you, or a rotation player who you aren't looking to keep for the long haul.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #20
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
moriarty-has he played in 75% of your matches? if not you will not be able to renew. not sure if he is close enough but keep playing him(even if he is hurt bring him on in the 90th minute) and hopefully you can resign him before the contract runs out.

This year he definitely has been in 75% of my matches (at least I think, maybe I better go back and look - he did miss some games w/ injury), but over the past couple of years probably not. Is this a year to year type calculation?

Either way, sounds like i need to get him in 100% of the matches and run him into the ground so that he'll qualify.

Thanks!

Last edited by moriarty : 03-28-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #21
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

The 75% calculation is across the life of the contract.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #22
Critch
lolzcat

There's one of the players screens, the one with the contract details, that has a running count for work permit players. Should have something like 'appeared in 23 of 46 games (50%)'. That'll let you know if that's the problem.

At least it was in the last CM, haven't looked for it in FM, I'm just assuming it's still there.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #23
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
There's one of the players screens, the one with the contract details, that has a running count for work permit players. Should have something like 'appeared in 23 of 46 games (50%)'. That'll let you know if that's the problem.

That's sweet if it's still in there. I'll have to check later. Can't believe I haven't run into this issue before.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #24
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Also, a more general question, how do I build up a youth system? I've been trying to buy as many cheap young players as I can, and hope that one or two develop. Will I ever 'get' players, like have one of the grayed-out U18 guys turn white or something?
When the board is "delighted" with your managerial performance, ask them to invest in the training grounds. This also builds up the club's youth facilities and increases the chance that at the beginning of a new season, you get a batch of youngsters to evaluate.

Last edited by 3ric : 03-28-2005 at 12:36 PM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #25
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch

At least it was in the last CM, haven't looked for it in FM, I'm just assuming it's still there.

I haven't seen it in the FM version.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #26
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
This year he definitely has been in 75% of my matches (at least I think, maybe I better go back and look - he did miss some games w/ injury), but over the past couple of years probably not. Is this a year to year type calculation?

Either way, sounds like i need to get him in 100% of the matches and run him into the ground so that he'll qualify.

Thanks!

It only has to be league matches, btw. Europe and Cup matches don't matter. It's not Mokoena by any chance, is it?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:41 PM   #27
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, since this is the FM thread closest to the top, I'll ask my questions here.

I just took a job at Northampton, midway through the year. They promised me an 80K transfer budget, but when I tried to buy a player for 2K, I was told I didn't have the funds. I figured that since it was midway through the year, my budget had been spent by the previous manager. But then I get a notice saying that the board has made an injection of another 80K. With this, I bought two players for 2K each, then when I tried to buy another player for 4K, I was told I didn't have the funds. What's happening to all my money?

It sounds like the board is injecting money into the team bank account, not the transfer budget. And are you sure that the 80K promised wasn't the weekly wage budget? You can check the total transfer budget by clicking on the Information hyperlink. BTW, the Northampton nickname is The Cobblers. *snicker*
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #28
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
It sounds like the board is injecting money into the team bank account, not the transfer budget. And are you sure that the 80K promised wasn't the weekly wage budget? You can check the total transfer budget by clicking on the Information hyperlink. BTW, the Northampton nickname is The Cobblers. *snicker*

You're right about the first part -- the board injected another 140K, but into the team bank account, not the transfer budget. But yeah, I'm sure the 80K was the transfer budget -- my wage budget is set to yearly, and on the finances page, it says that the transfer budget for the season is 76K and change, but the transfer budget remaining is 0. Maybe the last manager went all-out trying to save his hide? Also, the team had used all 8 short-term loans, and it was too late in the season for me to use any of my long-term loans (at least, the option for end of the season is grayed out).

Heh, Cobblers, cool. I liked having Terras when I was with Weymouth, but this should be fun, too!

And thanks for the training ground info, 3ric! I'll have to try that out, if they're delighted. Does board confidence only change the first of each month?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
It's the Fox Soccer Channel. How could you get that wrong?

I just know it is 324 on my cable box
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

It seems like I constantly see new things in this game. I'm checking out Real Madrid's roster and see a player listed for loan. He's unhappy about it, and his profile says, "Thinks he is being loaned out to ensure that he leaves the club." Poor guy.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #31
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
It only has to be league matches, btw. Europe and Cup matches don't matter. It's not Mokoena by any chance, is it?

Nah, it's Benni McCarthy. I inherited him as I took over Man City (after getting unceremonoiusly dumped by Liverpool after winning 3 trophies in one season ... but that's another story). Anyways, since I inherited him I'm not sure how much he played under the previous regime, so I'll have to check but it sounds like very little.

So I'm not sure if this guy is waiting to crash or what, but he has like 23 goals by December 7 in the Premiership and he's unhappy because I can't renew his contract. My luck I'll play him enough to sign him and he'll return to his blah pre-contract year form.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #32
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

What does "Caps" stand for in the statistics collumn?

Looked in the manual and could not see any reference to this...Sorry for the stupid question but I cant seem to figure out what the hell this stands for.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #33
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip
What does "Caps" stand for in the statistics collumn?

Looked in the manual and could not see any reference to this...Sorry for the stupid question but I cant seem to figure out what the hell this stands for.

A Cap is an appearance for the national team.

FM question for everyone:

Does having a coach assigned to multple schedules reduce his effectiveness? Does it continue to decrease with each added schedule? I am trying to figure out how many coaches you should have on a team.

Last edited by vyshka : 03-28-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #34
kingfc22
Head Coach

Is is possible to assign player's a jersey number? I thought I was able to do it back in CM 01/02 and I haven't found the ability to do it in FM2005. I really hate when I sub in a player and then have to figure out which guy is running around on the field because his number changes every game.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:58 PM   #35
vyshka
Mascot

I think it depends on the league you are in. Usually you assign squad numbers at the beginning of the season. I did that in the Irish 1st Division, but my Cambridge City side in Conference South didn't do that. I am about to start a Conference National season so I will update when that time comes.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #36
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Upating - looks like the previous coach only played him 4 (4!) matches last year which is why he can't get his work permit. I'm not sure I can get him in enough games to qualify before he signs w/ someone else. Grr.... He's already scored 27 goals at the midpoint of the season (a new Man City record ... w/ half the year yet to play!).

No wonder the previous coach got sacked.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #37
Francis_Cole
SI Games

Its 75% of international matches, not matches for your club.

Cheers
Fran
Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #38
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

The role(s) of physios, are they to treat injured players only? or do they help to prevent , condition, etc..?

Is it good to have numerous physio's if you can afford to?

Thanks

Last edited by Bea-Arthurs Hip : 03-29-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #39
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It seems like I constantly see new things in this game. I'm checking out Real Madrid's roster and see a player listed for loan. He's unhappy about it, and his profile says, "Thinks he is being loaned out to ensure that he leaves the club." Poor guy.

Towards the end of the season I just played with Barnsley, I somehow got into a love-fest with the Wimbledon...er, sorry MK Dons manager, where we both praised each other's management skills a few times and mentioned how great of a guy the other was. When I went back to my team screen, a few of the younger players were impressed that the Dons manager liked me, and were "sure that their my management would have a positive effect on their careers" or something like that. Pretty cool.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #40
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Towards the end of the season I just played with Barnsley, I somehow got into a love-fest with the Wimbledon...er, sorry MK Dons manager, where we both praised each other's management skills a few times and mentioned how great of a guy the other was. When I went back to my team screen, a few of the younger players were impressed that the Dons manager liked me, and were "sure that their my management would have a positive effect on their careers" or something like that. Pretty cool.

pay attention to your squad screen after about everytime there is some kind of media interaction, be it manager mind game, or when you answer a question from the mediam there is usually a "PR" tick next to a few players. I like hunting for who on my team has a reaction to what's being said. Sometimes it'll be as simple as them saying they liked what you said and think they could work well with me both on and off the pitch, to more important stuff, like a player saying that he thinks that the team cannot fail to perform under my management

FM
Old 03-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #41
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
pay attention to your squad screen after about everytime there is some kind of media interaction, be it manager mind game, or when you answer a question from the mediam there is usually a "PR" tick next to a few players. I like hunting for who on my team has a reaction to what's being said. Sometimes it'll be as simple as them saying they liked what you said and think they could work well with me both on and off the pitch, to more important stuff, like a player saying that he thinks that the team cannot fail to perform under my management

FM

Yeah, it took me a while to notice that, but its a nice new feature, it makes it a lot easier to find player reactions.

I think my favorite thing out of each new version of CM/FM is to discover all the new 'feelings' that players develop over the course of the game.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #42
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The one I get a lot is that the player thinks the teams can win big games without much effort. At first, I thought that was really cool, but then I started to worry that maybe he was saying he didn't think he needed to try all that hard. Am I just reading too much into that statement?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #43
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
The one I get a lot is that the player thinks the teams can win big games without much effort. At first, I thought that was really cool, but then I started to worry that maybe he was saying he didn't think he needed to try all that hard. Am I just reading too much into that statement?

I see it as overconfidence too, like "we don't need to work all that hard" and it drives me a bit crazy, so I don't think you're reading too much...

FM
Old 03-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #44
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Hmm. No wonder we tanked at the end of last season, losing three out of our last four games, and drawing the other.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #45
kingfc22
Head Coach

How long does it take to retrain a side for a player? I have a young right footed player who is currently a M L and I want him to be a M RL.

I know that sone players will not respond, but for those that do, how long does it take?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #46
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I see it as overconfidence too, like "we don't need to work all that hard" and it drives me a bit crazy, so I don't think you're reading too much...

FM
It does indeed show over-confidence, this means that the player is likely to be less motivated but more confident in the next fixture (ie. liable to be lazier than normal and somewhat cocky, trying things he might not normally, ie. overhead kicks etc.).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #47
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
How long does it take to retrain a side for a player? I have a young right footed player who is currently a M L and I want him to be a M RL.

I know that sone players will not respond, but for those that do, how long does it take?

It depends entirely on the player, his personality, age, sutiability to the position etc.

Normally between a few weeks and 3 months for most players, but some will pick up a position after an extended time (as much as a year).

You can encourage learning by playing him in the new position during real matches ... nothing like on the job learning
Old 04-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #48
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If I try to retrain a ML to be a MR, after the training is over, does he retain his left side qualification and become a M L/R, or does he just become a MR? I've been scared to retrain guys because I'm afraid they'll lose what they already have.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #49
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
If I try to retrain a ML to be a MR, after the training is over, does he retain his left side qualification and become a M L/R, or does he just become a MR? I've been scared to retrain guys because I'm afraid they'll lose what they already have.

In most cases they will retain all other positions, normally the only exception for this is if you've retrained someone for a position already and then retrain him again for another new position - if this happens (and you're lucky enough for him to learn it) then he might start to decline in the first learned position (depends on his adaptability and how settled into that role he is).
Old 04-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #50
Passacaglia
Coordinator

After the season was over, teams started loaning guys like crazy for 3 month terms -- why loan a guy for the offseason?

Also, I'm wayyy over my wage budget -- the budget is 1.5 mil and I'm pushing 2 mil. Will I have more problems, besides just having wages restricted?

How good of an indicator is a player's rating as to how well he played?