Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

CCNA/CCNP

Anyone who has taken/gotten the Cisco Network certs ie CCNA, CCNP able to tell me how many tests are involved to get certified in either of these?

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I got mine several years ago. From what I remember, there was one for CCNA, and an option on the number of tests for CCNP. There were three individual tests, or you could take one mega tests that was basically the three single tests bundled into one. The advantage of the one mega test was that if you were weak in the knowledge of one of the three sections, but strong in the other two, you could average it all out.

Thanks for posting this. It reminded me that I need to go through the recert process for these.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The CCNA is a single test, or at least it was. When I got my CCNP it was a series of four tests but that was couple of years ago and they may have changed it since then. Cisco's website has all the info about the tests, just browse around in their certification section.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

Can anyone recommend any good books to pprepare for he CCNP test itself?

Last edited by Galaril : 03-27-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Anyone ? Suggestion CCNP study books?
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The stuff I used was a few years back. I'm checking on my recert info, I'll let you know what I find in the way of books.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I got my CCNA a few years ago, but my co-worker just got his in the last couple of months. I finished my CCNP certification within the last 3 months.

The CCNA certification can be done in either one or two tests. Most people recommend taking just one test since it covers all of the material and doesn't go as deep in details.

The CCNP certification take 4 tests. You could do one giant comprehensive test, but you won't want to do that. Each of the 4 tests is a challenge, so you will want to study only one at a time.

The best books are the Cisco Press books. You can do an Amazon search for CCNA and CCNP and find a box-set for each certification. I used only these and passed my tests pretty easily. Of course I deal with Cisco work every day at my job, so I got a lot of experience that way. The other suggestion is to use practice tests. Boson tests are good, and Cert Killer tests will give you question that you will actually see on the exam.

What is your current level of experience with Cisco equipment?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just graduated from Graduate school with a MS in InfoSecurity. I got my C GSEC certification from SANS. I have had fair amount of "study" time with Cisco routers and switches but I am a novice really in regards to Cisco.Also, what is the price for the test and is it an online test?Thnaks to evryone so far for there responses.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-27-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like you've got a good start. The tests can be passed without any real hands-on Cisco experience, but it is easier with hands-on experience. I believe each test is $100 and they have to be done at an authorized testing center.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks alot, Brain D.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 PM   #11
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

You are very welcome. Of course if I hear you are ever going to be looking for jobs in the Green Bay market, I'll have to be sure to give you lots of bad information.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

Well. I am actually looking at jobs in the Boston area so no problem their.