Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I hate FM 2005

My name is SunDancer, and I am a FM 2005 addict.

(Back to my cave to play)....

SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

HEHE..

nice touch, sundancer... and you haven't even got your good computer to play it on yet, have you?
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
HEHE..

nice touch, sundancer... and you haven't even got your good computer to play it on yet, have you?

Nope...I prolly get that around the second week of April I am guessing (order it yesterday). I uploaded the game on my computer, with the "Big Five" premier leagues (France, Spain, Germany, England and Italy), and took over Airbus in the the sixth league of Wales. It's not going so well. I didn't download the patch, and won't until I get the other computer. It doesn't run as much or fast, but it's great to get a sense and experience of the game.

I am not doing well, I need to get defense and speed. One win, a pair of draws, and losses (we are battling to stay out of the cellar). I would love to cut half of the team, the financial impact would hurt, but I think that getting the team straighten out, with a wage bill in line, it may be something I may consider.

Are Wales' clubs financially sponsored by companies, in the point of selling the naming rights of the club? My team is Airbus, and we play at "the Airfield". You have Total Network Solutions, and a few others I believe.

Last edited by SunDancer : 03-21-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

welcome to the darkside of the force my friend, you will never see the light of day again, muahahahahaha

FM
Old 03-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
Francis_Cole
SI Games

Well done you've taken the first step.
Welcome to our world
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Francis_Cole
SI Games

Are Wales' clubs financially sponsored by companies, in the point of selling the naming rights of the club?

Yes. Much like the panthers stadium is called The Bank Of American Stadium.
I'm guessing Airbus got less money though for selling their rights than the panthers did for selling their rights
Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

There are a few teams about that have sold naming rights, Legia Warsaw in Poland were called Legia Daewoo Warsaw for a bit, not sure if they still are or not. Most FA's have rules against clubs having the name of companies though, years ago when the Scottish league was expanding the top non-league team was tied to a company (Ferranti Thistle, Ferranti are a defense company) so they had to change their name before being allowed into the league.

Hopefully they never allow teams to sell their naming rights, BSkyB United v Carling Hotspurs would kill soccer for me.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have it, have played it a little bit, but with Easter Weekend coming up, I will be hunkering down for a long play time....(No saturday practice)
Old 03-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
I have it, have played it a little bit, but with Easter Weekend coming up, I will be hunkering down for a long play time....(No saturday practice)

Oooooohhh, I had almost forgotten about the long weekend!!!! I have Monday off, means some more playing time, weehee!!!

FM
PS: not much playing done on either Saturday (kid's birthday party) or Sunday (Easter, family, chocolate, bah... just kidding, good times with or without gaming on that Sunday )
Old 03-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Oooooohhh, I had almost forgotten about the long weekend!!!! I have Monday off, means some more playing time, weehee!!!

FM
PS: not much playing done on either Saturday (kid's birthday party) or Sunday (Easter, family, chocolate, bah... just kidding, good times with or without gaming on that Sunday )

I don't have Monday off

But, I do have Friday off

I can't wait for a long weekend with plenty of FM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I don't have Monday off

But, I do have Friday off

I can't wait for a long weekend with plenty of FM.

hehe, where I worked before, we used to have both off. In fact, we still have both as holidays, but the Friday is moved to a date in between Christmas and New Years day to make a two week holiday. That two week break was indeed used for much FM playing

FM
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
welcome to the darkside of the force my friend, you will never see the light of day again, muahahahahaha

FM

Up til 3 last night.

I actually deleted the Wales dynasty, and launch one with AS Monaco-with the premier leagues of France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, England, Netherlands, Germany, Scotland, and Greece). I am saving the lower-level challenge (I got my eye on Cambridge City of the Conference Regional League , and "in-depth anaylsis" (studying every move, checking out training, ect).

I check it out, Europe has 85 leagues over 34 countries. I would love it if my new notebook could handle that.

Last edited by SunDancer : 03-22-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Try running a Brazil team sometime. The top teams play something like EIGHTY games in a year, between Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamerica, State Championships, and divisional play. It's nuts. NUTS I tell you.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Try running a Brazil team sometime. The top teams play something like EIGHTY games in a year, between Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamerica, State Championships, and divisional play. It's nuts. NUTS I tell you.

oh, I gotta try that someday!!!! sounds sweet!

FM
Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's what I have faced with Cruziero in year 1.

Minas State championship.. The best teams from each region compete in a regional championship in January. Minas State is fairly easy (there are a bunch of 2nd and 3rd division teams), but you play 11 or 13 games in the main round (once vs each other team in the region, I forget whether there are 12 or 14 in that Region).. Then two-legged playoffs in the semifinal and final (top 4 qualify for playoffs). Total: Either 15 or 17.

Copa Libertadores: I was seeded directly into Group stage, which is good.. (6 games).. then Round of 16 on, two legged playoffs, all the way to the final (8 more matches): Total: 14 matches

Brazillian National First Division: 24 teams, play each other team 2x. Add 46 matches to the total.

Copa Sudamerica.. I'm not quite sure to be honest, haven't begun that, I just named a squad for it.

So we're at 75-77 matches for Cruziero on the year already, before we add the Copa Sudamerica.

It SUCKS to be 6 games into the National First Division schedule, and see teams 12-13 games in because they didn't have longer state seasons or games moved for international play.

It also sucks to get "Player X Needs rest" when you know there's 40-50 games left to play!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #16
Anthony
Banned

i have a nice PC, i'm wondering - how many league should i be playing with and which ones?

right now, off the top of my head, i think i have: England (i always love taking Division 2 teams and trying to get them to the top level. emphasis on try). MLS (in case i get fired and no one wants an American running their team). Brazil. Germany. and i think Spain.

which ones are must haves?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #17
3ric
College Starter

Italy is a must have.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Agreed on Italy.

Here's my CORE ones

Europe:

England
Italy
Germany
Spain
Scotland
Holland

S.America
Argentina
Brazil
Colombia

N.America
USA
Mexico
Old 03-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

The only ones that are must haves are the ones you might want to manage in. Although for more realism I usually run the top leagues in Europe - Italy, Spain, and England plus the 2nd tier European leagues - Germany, France, and Holland.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #20
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Do you guys check the 'Extra Detail' box for any nation other than the one you're managing? What about ones where you may want to manage? Also, how far down in each nation do you select your leagues?

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-22-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #21
Desnudo
Coordinator

I don't check extra detail for any leagues. I find it slows down the game too much.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #22
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
Do you guys check the 'Extra Detail' box for any nation other than the one you're managing? What about ones where you may want to manage? Also, how far down in each nation do you select your leagues?

by default, I think the nation you play in becomes 'full detail', but somebody could confirm that...

To answer your question, well I run only England, from the bottom up, so extra detail was a no brainer. I've heard of people not puttin 'extra detail' on anything, not even the league in which they play in, since it supposedly becomes full detail when you're in it (that's my understanding anyway)...

FM
Old 03-22-2005, 01:01 PM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think you are right Froggy.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #24
moriarty
College Starter

With all these 'I hate FM' threads, I pity the poor fool who reads only the thread titles and concludes FM must really suck.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

we're saving them, really moriarty. Saving them from the fate we now share.. that of being a FM Zombie.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #26
Anthony
Banned

can someone explain to me one thing i've never understood about CM/FM:

what is the difference to having a league selected (the Englands and Brazils) and say the rest that aren't? different amount of information? or is it just so that you focus on certain leagues you might want to manage in someday and eliminate others that you have no inkling to ever manage?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #27
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic

what is the difference to having a league selected (the Englands and Brazils) and say the rest that aren't? different amount of information? or is it just so that you focus on certain leagues you might want to manage in someday and eliminate others that you have no inkling to ever manage?

I'm sure somebody will have a better answer, but yeah I think it's basically a bit of what you said in there. Selected leagues are the only one you can ever manage, that's a given, and I'd assume you'll get more generated players from selected leagues than from non-selected ones, with more information on these players also...

FM
Old 03-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #28
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic

You can't see year by year standings and statistics for leagues that aren't turned on. So if you want to see who wins the Spanish league and who led it in scoring, you need to have it turned on.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #29
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I launch a new dynasty with Scottish premier club Livingston. Expected to battle regulation, and have a bank loan of 10.5 million (Euros) to pay back through 2009 or 2010. We aren't in debt, but the club would lose money if I didn't make the transfer deals I have. Raise my transfer budget to aaround E425,000 from E28k, but I can't seem to find the right player and keep clubs from trying to make offers to about 5-6 current players I have now. Found MetroStars Richardo Clarke, valued at about E160k, and made an offer. A big-time deal for us, but I though he would be that final piece. Just signed a new deal with the Stars for around E500 a week, so the talent, value, and wage were a perfect match. Made, the offer, before a damn spanish club made a whopping E1.35 million offer. Put the end to that deal

So far, we are 5-out-6 in wins in friendlies (granted against lower-level teams, though we were up 2-0 on Crystal Palace before falling out 3-2 in the second half), and 1-1-1 (haven't played the Rangers or Celtic yet) on the season so far. I like to bring in one big-time player before the end of this week's transfer window, but I just haven't quite got a handle on the transfer market and dealings yet, nor find the right player. Plus, no one really is too crazy on coming to Livingston.

Man, I can't wait to get back at it tomarrow.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 AM   #30
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Selected/Non-selected leagues
==========================
There are three levels of simulation within specific leagues in FM.

Full Detail
This is the most realistic level of simulations and does EVERYTHING. You can watch any match from within one of these leagues in full 2D glory, BUT its very slow.
You can manage teams in these leagues.

Non-Full Details
This level loads all the players for a league and simulates the games, however it doesn't allow the user to watch the matches in 2D view (as the games aren't in 'full-detail ... duh ), isn't as slow as 'Full detail'.

Not selected
Players for top teams in the league will still be loaded and the game will simulate hidden matches for these teams behind the scenes (which is why they show games played etc.) BUT there will be no league tables etc. displayed for them.
You cannot manage these teams.

PS> If you started one league full detail and others non-full detail then if you move into a non-full detail league the 'full detail' will follow you around.

eg.
England - Full
Scottish - Non Full

Move from an English club to a Scottish one and hey-presto ..

English - Non Full
Scottish - Full

Hope this helps,

Marc
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #31
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
I launch a new dynasty with Scottish premier club Livingston. Expected to battle regulation, and have a bank loan of 10.5 million (Euros) to pay back through 2009 or 2010. We aren't in debt, but the club would lose money if I didn't make the transfer deals I have. Raise my transfer budget to aaround E425,000 from E28k, but I can't seem to find the right player and keep clubs from trying to make offers to about 5-6 current players I have now. Found MetroStars Richardo Clarke, valued at about E160k, and made an offer. A big-time deal for us, but I though he would be that final piece. Just signed a new deal with the Stars for around E500 a week, so the talent, value, and wage were a perfect match. Made, the offer, before a damn spanish club made a whopping E1.35 million offer. Put the end to that deal

So far, we are 5-out-6 in wins in friendlies (granted against lower-level teams, though we were up 2-0 on Crystal Palace before falling out 3-2 in the second half), and 1-1-1 (haven't played the Rangers or Celtic yet) on the season so far. I like to bring in one big-time player before the end of this week's transfer window, but I just haven't quite got a handle on the transfer market and dealings yet, nor find the right player. Plus, no one really is too crazy on coming to Livingston.

Have fun trying to break the Old Firm! I'm currently managing Stirling Albion in Scotland's Div.1. We got promoted from Div.2 in year 1 even though it was a long shot, but barely escaped relegation in year 2. We're currently battling relegation again in year 3. I just hope we can stay up. Probably the biggest problem is trying to attract players to the club. No one who's any good wants to come to Scotland if they aren't playing for Rangers or Celtic. I'll be curious to see how your time at Livingston plays out.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:11 AM   #32
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, Scotland is definitely a challenge. I've managed Hearts and Dunfermline, both in the Premier League, and, its true what they say, winning against Celtic and Rangers is kinda like winning a title. One thing I don't like about the Scottish leagues is the small league format, it seems like you are playing the same teams over and over again. It just gets kind of boring to me after a while.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #33
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Selected/Non-selected leagues
==========================
There are three levels of simulation within specific leagues in FM.

Full Detail
This is the most realistic level of simulations and does EVERYTHING. You can watch any match from within one of these leagues in full 2D glory, BUT its very slow.

Non-Full Details
This level loads all the players for a league and simulates the games, however it doesn't allow the user to watch the matches in 2D view (as the games aren't in 'full-detail ... duh ), isn't as slow as 'Full detail'.

Not selected
Players for top teams in the league will still be loaded and the game will simulate hidden matches for these teams behind the scenes (which is why they show games played etc.) BUT there will be no league tables etc. displayed for them.
You cannot manage these teams.

PS> If you started one league full detail and others non-full detail then if you move into a non-full detail league the 'full detail' will follow you around.

eg.
England - Full
Scottish - Non Full

English - Non Full
Scottish - Full

Hope this helps,

Marc

Thanks Marc, this was very informative. One question though. What are the implications if you don't select any league as full details, i.e. not even the league you are in? Can you still watch the matches in 2D in that one league you're in, or not at all?

In my current career, I only have England from the lowest conference to the top. Started it that way cause I was itching to play and I kept on playing with the new patches. I have full details ticked on now, so it's not a problem now. My question is more for when I'll restart a new career, which may only happen in the Summer, given how much fun I'm having with QPR right now. Anyway, hat if I start a career with say England (L2 and up), and top levels in Italy, France, Spain, and maybe another one or two, but none of them in full details, what would be the implications of doing that, in terms of speed and details to the league I play in?

Thanks in advance.

FM
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Re-Read what he says, the league you're in automatically becomes full detail.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:32 AM   #35
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Re-Read what he says, the league you're in automatically becomes full detail.

That's not exactly what he said... Marc said this:

Quote:

eg.
England - Full
Scottish - Non Full

English - Non Full
Scottish - Full

I'm asking about if you start with no leagues in full details, all in non-full details...

FM
Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #36
Critch
lolzcat

I think the league you're in must be automatically in full detail, I didn't click full details for any of the leagues but I can still view the "goal of the month" winners in my own league. If my own league wasn't in full detail, there'd be no 2d for the goal of the month winners.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you start with no managers.. I'm not sure to be honest. But the second you have a manager on a team, that league (by virtue of the manager being in that league) becomes full detail
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #38
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I think the league you're in must be automatically in full detail, I didn't click full details for any of the leagues but I can still view the "goal of the month" winners in my own league. If my own league wasn't in full detail, there'd be no 2d for the goal of the month winners.

okay, you're a good person to ask this question to then. When we click the "full details" at the start, it's for a nation. I understand you didn't click "full details" and you still get details in your league. But what about other leagues in your nation. Say you're in League Two, I understand you can see about everything in League Two, but can you see matches in the Premiership, or in the Conferences?

Reason I'm asking is simply to know if you can still consult match reports for players that your scout has reported to you. I often like to go and see a player's stats in games they've played...

FM
Old 03-23-2005, 09:15 AM   #39
Critch
lolzcat

You can change the divisions that are being simmed for each nation when you first start a game, so I'd guess that when the nation you're playing in goes to full detail it's all the divisions you've selected. But I'm just guessing.

In my game I've just selected the top division from the 20 most important soccer nations, so I can't check any lower divisions within the country I'm managing in to see if they're on full detail.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #40
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

Hope this helps,

Marc

immensely.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #41
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
I launch a new dynasty with Scottish premier club Livingston. Expected to battle regulation, and have a bank loan of 10.5 million (Euros) to pay back through 2009 or 2010.

I'm playing the demo as Aberdeen (yes, the 'sheep-shagging bastards' of Aberdeen). Currently ranked 6th in the Scottish Premier League. We just played Celtic, and were down 3-0 after 20 minutes. I replaced my goalie, and we were down 3-2 with less than 10 minutes in the match. Had multiple shots on goal in those last 10 minutes but couldn't get it in there. It was an exciting game. We've just now won our 2nd Scottish Cup match and are going to the quarterfinals.

Anyone know if I can use this saved game (from the demo) once I receive and install the full version and the latest patch?
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #42
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
Anyone know if I can use this saved game (from the demo) once I receive and install the full version and the latest patch?

it's always been my understanding that yes, you can keep on playing a game started with the demo in the full game.

FM
Old 03-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #43
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
I'm playing the demo as Aberdeen (yes, the 'sheep-shagging bastards' of Aberdeen). Currently ranked 6th in the Scottish Premier League. We just played Celtic, and were down 3-0 after 20 minutes. I replaced my goalie, and we were down 3-2 with less than 10 minutes in the match. Had multiple shots on goal in those last 10 minutes but couldn't get it in there. It was an exciting game. We've just now won our 2nd Scottish Cup match and are going to the quarterfinals.

Speaking of sheep and Football Manager, you guys have all seen the 'Everybody wants to be a manager' video, right ?
here
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes you can. I've done so with a Chelsea game I played with the demo (though I don't play it anymore).
Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #45
Huckleberry
College Starter

As stated on another thread, I took over Stafford Rangers when they were 20th in Conference North in October. I guided the club to 13th by the end of the season.

Pretty nice. Transfer budget is crap, though. I could be here for a while.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #46
vyshka
Mascot

I have been playing Cambridge City in Conf. South. 14 games left and I am 2 points out of first. I was 5 points clear, but have gone into a slump and players are starting to wear down from the grind. This is my first foray into
England as I usually try to do something with Limerick FC in Irish 1st Div and usually fail.

I just got issues 2 and 3 of FM magazine in the mail after ordering them last week from gameplay. Issue #3 appears to have the tips, not sure if this is the stuff Marc wrote. It also has screenshots of the new version of OOTP.

Last edited by vyshka : 03-23-2005 at 02:46 PM.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #47
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Man, my computer went way-wired today (I turn to turn it, and makes a weird sound, kinda like a computer-internet sound), and it won't "power" itself up (its turns on, but the screen is blank).
Old 03-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #48
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Yeah, Scotland is definitely a challenge. I've managed Hearts and Dunfermline, both in the Premier League, and, its true what they say, winning against Celtic and Rangers is kinda like winning a title. One thing I don't like about the Scottish leagues is the small league format, it seems like you are playing the same teams over and over again. It just gets kind of boring to me after a while.

I agree, the size of the league kinda leaves more to desire. Maybe thats why the Rangers and Celtic are not doing as well as they use to in European Cup play in reality? How are the Rangers and Celtic so financially and resourcefully far off from all the rest? Usually, you have the "rich", the "middle class", and the "poor" in many of the other top leagues around Europe, but Scotland isn't like that.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You have Rich Rangers and Celtic.. Poor everyone else
Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #50
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You have Rich Rangers and Celtic.. Poor everyone else

Yeap...Just curious how they got that way? Did the Rangers and Celtics have an extremely rich owner to start with, and just been able to maintain the success (having more revenues-continuing the success and stream of revenue)?