Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Damn The LA Dodgers!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2017888

The New York Mets plugged a hole in their starting rotation Sunday, acquiring left-hander Kazuhisa Ishii from the Los Angeles Dodgers for catcher Jason Phillips.

He was just a backup catcher to Piazza. I think the Dodgers gave too much.

Jason Phillips just batted .218 7 HR 34 RBI's

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ishii sucks. And Phillips might be the starter.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

This trade has been rumored for several days. I dont understand why it took so long to go through. A 1 for 1 swap with no money involved, sounds pretty simple to me.

I agree the Dodgers got hosed pretty good. If money is that much of an issue the owner should buy a minor league team.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's a good deal for the Dodgers and dont see how they are being hosed. Ishii walks too many players and isn't going to be a consistant starter for the Dodgers. Our catchers are Paul Bako and David Ross. Bako is the backup and Ross was pretty bad last year and so far in the spring.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Ishii is an average starting pitcher. A 4.30 ERA, even in a pitchers park, has some value.

Phillips is a below average catcher. He is a 29 year old catcher with 800 career at bats and a SLG % below .400. His numbers went down considerably from 2003 to 2004.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think the Dodgers got hosed, although I suppose they might've been able to sucker another team out of a better player than Jason Phillips.

Ishii was helped a great deal by Dodger Stadium (career home ERA: 3.71; career road ERA: 4.87). He's also been overrated due to the hype of his arrival from Japan. He's an ordinary (at best) starter with real control issues, and a steadily declining strikeout rate.

Phillips probably won't ever be a star, but his hitting last season was far worse than he'd ever hit before; it's a fair guess to say that his career MLB averages are about what you'd expect from him moving forward. I don't know how his defense rates (quick check of the Stats report at ESPN.com) - looks like he's at least average, maybe above average in this regard.

I think the Dodgers did fine on this one.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

WEll, David Ross hit around .200 last year, if that even. Ishii didnt even start for most of the second half and was the Dodgers worst pitcher besides Nomo.

Right now the rotation is
Lowe
Weaver
Perez
Penny (Alvarez is subbing til he's ready)
Scott Erickson

We also have 5 star prospect Edwin Jackson ready in case someone else falters as well as Elmer Dessens as another emergency starter. Ishii was wasting space and Ross is plain terrible.

This Dodger fan is pleased
Old 03-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
WEll, David Ross hit around .200 last year, if that even. Ishii didnt even start for most of the second half and was the Dodgers worst pitcher besides Nomo.

Right now the rotation is
Lowe
Weaver
Perez
Penny (Alvarez is subbing til he's ready)
Scott Erickson

We also have 5 star prospect Edwin Jackson ready in case someone else falters as well as Elmer Dessens as another emergency starter. Ishii was wasting space and Ross is plain terrible.

This Dodger fan is pleased

Weaver will be # 3 and Perez #2. because Lowe and Weaver have similar style. Tracy said.

who goes to the Minor now. Bako or Ross

Last edited by jbmagic : 03-20-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
Danny
Head Coach

Great trade. Ishii is one of the worst starters in baseball. I would have given him away for no players.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

As a Met fan, once this deal was rumored I got very excited. The options (Ginter, Jae Seo) we had for the 5th spot in the rotation after Trachsel's injury were much, much worse than Ishii would be on his worst day, so this was a no-brainer.

Phillips isn't as bad a hitter as he performed last year, but not nearly as good as he performed in 2003. If he got 500 ABs, I would consider him a .250/12/65 guy who will play solid defense with a reliable arm. If the Dodgers catching situation is as poor as people say it is, I would hardly consider this a bad trade. Seems like a classic "both teams win" deal.

Oh, should add this in there: Phillips might be the slowest person in Major League Baseball. Makes John Olerud look like Ichiro. EDITED TO ADD: Phillips is a very likeable guy and was considered a great clubhouse presence.

Last edited by Logan : 03-20-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Eric Milton has a career ERA of 4.76 which is higher than Ishii's worst season. The Reds gave him something like $25 million. Isnt it reasonable to assume that a team that concerned about starting pitching would give better than a below average 29 year old catcher? Im not saying LA had to trade Ishii to Cincy but someone had to be more interested in acquiring him than offering Jason Phillips.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

Great, I suppose now I have to change my signature.
Ishii is way to inconsistent to be reliable. I would have rather brought back Lima for another season.

They need to find a catcher so Ross either needs to learn how to hit or this guy better call a damn good game.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #13
Danny
Head Coach

When adjusted for park factors, Milton has been a far better pitcher than Ishii. If someone wants a guy who has been in the top 5 in walks each of the last three seasons, then more power to you I guess. Like I said, I would rather not have him on the Dodgers roster, so that Tracy is not tempted to use him.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

Any of you think that Jackson might have a shot at the rotation? Is he even going to make the team? If he does is he in the bullpen for long relief?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tracy already said that Bako was going to make the roster
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

Jackson will start the year in AAA.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
Ksyrup

Ishii pitched in a great pitcher's park, unlike Milton, who has pitched in the Metrodome and H.R. Puffenpark in Philly during his career. Plus, Ishii walks way too many hitters to be consistent, and is usually unreliable. I don't care what his ERA is, when you aren't sure whether your starting pitcher is going to give you 7 innings or 2 every time out, you're better off with someone else.

The guy is capable of throwing a shutout or walking himself to the showers before his first time up to bat on any given night. I'd rather have a guy who could consistently give me 7 innings and a 5.50 ERA than a guy with a 4.00 ERA who kills my bullpen. Not to mention, his strikeout rate fell big time last year, making his walks even that much worse to deal with.

Maybe he couldn't handle the pressure of LA...NY should be just the cure.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-20-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Tracy already said that Bako was going to make the roster

So both catcher Ross and Rookie Navarro will play in the minor.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #19
Bad-example
College Starter

The Dodgers got rid of a bad contract and upgraded their catching, abeit not to a great degree. Ishii was terrible last year and with Dodger Stadium having less foul ground now his outlook was not good. The Dodgers did ok with this trade.

I am very curious as to how much the new configuration will cause ERA and batting averages to rise this season.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #20
Bad-example
College Starter

Dola

Upon further review, LA didn't get completely out from under Ishii's contract.

"The Mets will pay $1.15 million of Ishii's $3.2 million contract this season. The Dodgers will owe $2.05 million in deferred money.

The 31-year-old Ishii also has an option for 2006 with a $2.2 million buyout. Depending on whether New York picks up the option, Los Angeles could have to pay Ishii another $1.1 million to $2.2 million."
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #21
oykib
College Starter

You guys are also forgetting that teams with Japanese players can cash in over here. The Mets are gonna be on Japanese TV a lot with Ishii and Matsui. The TV money goes into the revenue sharing pool, I believe. But merchandising and such is all gravy.

Ishii at $1.15M is a steal for the Mets.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:18 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Dola

Upon further review, LA didn't get completely out from under Ishii's contract.

"The Mets will pay $1.15 million of Ishii's $3.2 million contract this season. The Dodgers will owe $2.05 million in deferred money.

The 31-year-old Ishii also has an option for 2006 with a $2.2 million buyout. Depending on whether New York picks up the option, Los Angeles could have to pay Ishii another $1.1 million to $2.2 million."

That was probably the reason the trade took so long to go through. Ishii's a great guy to have in the rotation...if you're not paying him.

I won't miss him, but as somebody else said, we might've been able to do better.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:20 PM   #23
Ksyrup

For NY, desperate for a 5th starter, gettign Ishii for a shade over $1M isn't a bad deal. For the Dodgers, getting a catcher and paying Ishii $2M not to pitch for them is a better deal.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #24
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The fact that the Dodgers are paying a significant portion of Ishii's salary improves the Mets' position in this deal, but I still think Ishii is over-rated, and the trend of his statistics makes him a likely candidate to go from barely average to quite bad in a hurry. That declining strikeout rate and the high walk rate do not bode well for him...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #25
Ksyrup

He looked like a pre-OOTP6 pitcher last year - 13 wins, ERA just over 4, and a 98/99 BB/K ratio. Not good. It was bad enough when he was walking 100 in years past, but at least he was striking out 140-150. Now he's even. Bad trend.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #26
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
He looked like a pre-OOTP6 pitcher last year - 13 wins, ERA just over 4, and a 98/99 BB/K ratio. Not good. It was bad enough when he was walking 100 in years past, but at least he was striking out 140-150. Now he's even. Bad trend.

Not to mention the ERA was not just over, it was 4.70, which is awful for a Dodgers pitcher. Plus, his trends shows that he is going to get worse. Like I said, I wouldnt want him in my rotation at any costs.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Time for the first annual Kaz Ishii sucks thread?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:54 PM   #28
Ksyrup

If the Mets had any fans, it might be worth a thread.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #29
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Wow, I haven't seen this kind of support for Ishii anywhere. The guy has had by far the worst BB/9 ratio of any pitcher in the league the past 3 years, putting up a typical line of 100 BB in 150 IP. I guess it is somewhat palatable when he is striking out a batter an inning, but as Ksyrup mentioned, his K rate was off by a lot last year.

To sum it up, a pitcher with a career 93 OPS+, who walks 6 batters per 9 IP, with a declining K rate - that is not an average pitcher. The Mets would be better off with Seo - at least he has some upside and is making the ML minimum.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-21-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #30
Arles
Grey Dog Software

First, let me say that I am not a huge fan of Ishii and thought he was way overrated when he came in. But, I think there is something to be said for being able to pitch out of trouble and do enough to win games. There's really no big stat for that, so many people chalk it off as "chance" or "more run support". But, when I've seen Ishii, I have noticed that he does do just enough to get the win a lot. Even if that means pitching out of dicey situations. I would classify him as a poor man's Russ Ortiz in that regard.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #31
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
As a Met fan, once this deal was rumored I got very excited. The options (Ginter, Jae Seo) we had for the 5th spot in the rotation after Trachsel's injury were much, much worse than Ishii would be on his worst day, so this was a no-brainer.

This statement here is just patently untrue. IMO, 2003 was the best season for both Seo & Ishii, and Seo had the better year (again, IMO). So to say that Seo is worse than Ishii on his worst day is ridiculous - Seo had the better season just two years ago.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-21-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And for $1M to fill the 5th Starters role, that isn't a bad deal. The Mets also got a great pitching coach (Rick Peterson), who may be able to figure out what is wrong with Ishii and set him back on track.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #33
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
First, let me say that I am not a huge fan of Ishii and thought he was way overrated when he came in. But, I think there is something to be said for being able to pitch out of trouble and do enough to win games. There's really no big stat for that, so many people chalk it off as "chance" or "more run support". But, when I've seen Ishii, I have noticed that he does do just enough to get the win a lot. Even if that means pitching out of dicey situations. I would classify him as a poor man's Russ Ortiz in that regard.

Well, Ishii did lead the NL in run support in 2004. I'm trying to dig up the totals for his prior two years, but can't find them easily since he didn't pitch enough innings to qualify for the league leaders.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
This statement here is just patently untrue. IMO, 2003 was the best season for both Seo & Ishii, and Seo had the better year (again, IMO). So to say that Seo is worse than Ishii on his worst day is ridiculous - Seo had the better season just two years ago.

And he's been getting killed ever since that season. It's easy when you can come in and nobody knows you. If you look at his stats against teams the second time around, they're drastically different than his first outing.

Something you're missing is that the Mets aren't the Yankees--they don't make a move just for the sake of making one when the slightest thing goes wrong. They would have loved to use Seo or Ginter in the 5th spot and not added any extra salary, while keeping the same reliable backup catcher, but they have ZERO confidence in them besides a spot start here and there.

I heard this pointed out on WFAN earlier today. Ishii has been much better coming out of the gate compared to after the all-star break. In his career, before the break he's 29-12 with a 3.50 ERA, while after the break, he's 7-13 with a 5.77 ERA. Since we'll be missing Trachsel for most of (if not all) the first half, if Ishii keeps up on past trends it should work out well.

EDITED TO ADD: Since Peterson was hired as the pitching coach last year, Seo has been the only pitcher in the organization who hasn't adopted his philosophies of both training and studying, which I'm sure factored into the decision to go outside the organization for a pitcher.

Last edited by Logan : 03-21-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #35
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
EDITED TO ADD: Since Peterson was hired as the pitching coach last year, Seo has been the only pitcher in the organization who hasn't adopted his philosophies of both training and studying

source?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Dunno why Dodger fans would be upset. The team dumped a crap pitcher for a guy who could be a #1 catcher. Sounds like a good deal to me.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #37
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Ishii is a bad pitcher. His best year was 2003, when he threw 150 innings of 104 ERA+ ball. So, in his *best* year, he was league average.

However - if Peterson can some how get him to throw strikes, he's such a server flyball pitcher that he might be able to take advantage of a Beltran-Cameron outfield to be a decent #4/5 guy.

I have a hard time believing he'll be much better than Seo or Heilmann, though. I think this was more about depth than getting a great pitcher.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
source?

It's a claim by every beat writer/reporter that covers the team. Here's the best I can come up with in print, that there's a problem in the relationship:

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/spor...6562611630.htm

Quote:
Since returning to Korea last month, Seo said he asked the Mets to trade him because he has had trouble with pitching coach Rick Peterson. The right-hander also said he could possibly play for a Korean team if he can’t be a regular starter in the Major League.

``I thought it would be difficult to survive with the Mets if Peterson kept picking on me,’’
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #39
MrBug708
Head Coach

So far I like this trade, no complaints. It's early of course. Ishii's stat line was 6 walks and his ERA isn't horrible
Old 04-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, his last game he went something like 7 innings, 0 runs. With a 5th starter, it's always going to be a toss-up.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #41
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Nice to see the Dodgers doing well

the GM so far had made the right trades and pickups since he been the GM for the Dodgers.

Sometimes you question what the heck is he doing. but so far they all turn out good.

10-2 record . great start so far without Gagne the closer and Penny starting pitcher and LF Werth.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #42
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Sometimes you question what the heck is he doing. but so far they all turn out good.

All? Get back to me when Penny's healthy and Choi's hitting. Yes, one of the players we got in that trade was a piece we used to get Finley, but I'd say the bulk of the trade, the jury is still out on.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 AM   #43
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
All? Get back to me when Penny's healthy and Choi's hitting. Yes, one of the players we got in that trade was a piece we used to get Finley, but I'd say the bulk of the trade, the jury is still out on.

i admit Choi sucks. i wonder how long there going to use him. Lately they been benching him so that good.

Looks like Penny is healthy. He pitching well so far in rehab.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...t=.jsp&c_id=la

Hopefully everything ok when he comes up to the major this month.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Man, the Dodgers can't do anything wrong so far. Down 6-0, they've tied it up against Milwaukee in the 9th.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-19-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #45
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Man, the Dodgers can't do anything wrong so far. Down 6-0, they've tied it up against Milwaukee in the 9th.

yep watching the game. what a comeback. hope the Dodgers can win in extra innings.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #46
SackAttack
Head Coach

Gio Carrera just got the Brew Crew 1-2-3, and we've got the heart of the lineup due. C'mon, Blue!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #47
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Milton Bradley hit a 2 run homerun in the 10th inning

Dodgers 8-6 lead now.

wow go Dodgers there a scoring machine so far this season.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #48
SackAttack
Head Coach

BRADLEY!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

Isn't that Bradley's third homer of the series? I think he hit two last night, too.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #50
Danny
Head Coach

Milton Bradley for president!