Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Travis
Pro Rookie

X-Kings, Free Online Game

Been playing around with this game this morning. Seems pretty fun, and an important part of it is sending support points to one and other (start off with 3 per day, can't send more than 1 to any single player per day).

Another great feature, you attack people for their gold, but a majority of the time no units are killed in the process, so at most you're stuck just making money again, not starting over from scratch. So same idea as Omerta, keep your gold low (use it on troops and research) and you should fly under the radar (I hope, I did just start playing today).

Anyways, here's the link, if you don't want to sign up under me (though I think you get a support point any time I sign on if you are), feel free to start your own group (though you can still have people sign up under you if you use this link).

Have fun!

hxxp://www.x-kings.com/public/new_user.php?friend=Fallen_Seeker

Edit: xx'ing this as I haven't searched their site to see what all they are hosting. Should be work safe though.

Last edited by Travis : 03-16-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Travis
Pro Rookie

As a side note, to make some quick cash off the bat, go to the voting tab and use each link to vote for the game. That'll nab you $50 per vote in game which is enough to get set up and attacking others for cash.

Generally when you attack other people (of a similar or lower level) all the other person will lose is gold to you, I've yet (in 5 battles) to see anybody lose a troop, though I've gotten anywhere from 150 gold to 500 gold in the battles.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Travis
Pro Rookie

Double dola, whoever is GuidoB, support point sent your way for signing up under me, that'll get you an extra worker come tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
KevinNU7
College Starter

Signed up, send me a point
Old 03-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Double dola, whoever is GuidoB, support point sent your way for signing up under me, that'll get you an extra worker come tomorrow.

That would be me. Support point sent back to you.

I've already used up all of my attack points to get enough tech to stop newbie attacks. The game seems interesting enough to be worth trying out.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
KevinNU7
College Starter

I'm very confused, but it looks enjoyable
Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
KevinNU7
College Starter

How do you get more workers?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like you have to wait for them to be born. I just sent you a support point, care to send one back my way? I think we get an extra worker that way.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quick tips for those just getting started in the game.

1. Click the voting button and vote at every available site.
2. Read the tutorial in the Help section.
3. Buy the crop rotation upgrade in the Technology section.
4. Train as many soldiers as you can without going negative food (you can train more now that you have the crop rotation upgrade)
5. Attack others with 10 points, 6 units, and over 1,000 gold.
6. Spend all of your gold on technologies and buildings.

I used up all of my attack points, made 3200 gold, and bought a bunch of technology. A couple of people I attacked got mad and tried to hit me back. In 5 attacks, I have lost 6 gold, and have killed one enemy unit. A quick military/technology build up and you can be pretty safe from those just starting out.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
Travis
Pro Rookie

Each day you get 3 support points to send out. I've used mine for the day (1 to my commander, and 1 each to the first two guys who signed up under me). I'll rotate 2 of my points through my officers each day (1 is reserved for my commander). With 3 each, we should be able to set up a good trading system.

Workers are given to you once per day. You get 1 worker just for logging in, then you get additional workers based on how many support points you've received (ie: I've got 6 support points today and will get 2 workers for that). I haven't found a chart that lists how many support points equals how many workers, as it appears to rise as you go up (my commander is at 11.5 support points and is receiving 3 workers for that right now).

I think the birth rate comes once you're a bit farther up the technology tree and have more structures.

You get a 1 turn back every half hour, so if you do a full attack (using 8 turns), it'll take you 4 hours to get those 8 turns back. So you can be like me and use all your turns at the beginning, and have to wait 4 hours to do anything, or use them a bit more conservatively and play more often

Thanks for joining up guys, any of my current officers who didn't get a support point from me today will so tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Not to steal Travis's thunder, but you can also sign up via my link:
hxxp://www.x-kings.com/public/new_user.php?friend=GuidoB

I'd like to see Travis get most of the signups for introducing us to the game, but it might be nice to spread things around a bit. Maybe we'll get a FOFC guild going eventually.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #12
KevinNU7
College Starter

I couldn't resist!

http://www.x-kings.com/public/new_us...riend=KevinNU7
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #13
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Not to steal Travis's thunder, but you can also sign up via my link:
hxxp://www.x-kings.com/public/new_user.php?friend=GuidoB

I'd like to see Travis get most of the signups for introducing us to the game, but it might be nice to spread things around a bit. Maybe we'll get a FOFC guild going eventually.

Bah! This means war! I think I still benefit from people signing up under you, so I have no real objections.

I was reading though, that once you get up high enough on the technology tree, that you can leave your commander, so if we're interested, and people don't object, when I get to that point, I can pretty much leave my commander (who is serving under the #5 rated player in the game right now) so that we could start our own faction/guild. Not sure if we could do that with me still having a commander that we don't want as a part of the guild. But something to think about until we get to that point.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #14
Whar
Mascot

I started up today. The game seems kinda fun and a nice distraction for 20 minutes or so a day. I selected Fallen_Seeker (the original poster in this thread) as my comander.

One thing I noticed from the 'Support point' section is that a commander recieve a support point whenever one of his officer recieves one. If this is true Fallen's officer should focus on supporting each other thereby adding a worker to both the officer and the commander.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #15
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I guess you get 1/2 a point for every point I get. This would be a good deal for you, but not if I steal your officers.

Spreading officers around would probably be a very good idea when we are at the guild stage. We'd probably get more bang for our buck if many people could get points and the commanders getting half-points. There is probably some math to be done here to figure out the most efficient system, but I'll leave that for others to do.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #16
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whar
I started up today. The game seems kinda fun and a nice distraction for 20 minutes or so a day. I selected Fallen_Seeker (the original poster in this thread) as my comander.

One thing I noticed from the 'Support point' section is that a commander recieve a support point whenever one of his officer recieves one. If this is true Fallen's officer should focus on supporting each other thereby adding a worker to both the officer and the commander.

Not exactly sure how this is working yet. Looks like a commander gets half points for a lot of the stuff that his Officer's do, going to look more later for clarification.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #17
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey guys. Any thoughts on a guild name? We can create one now, didn't know if we wanted to go with something like FOFC, or come up with a theme name for the game. Submissions requested!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #18
Icy
Pro Starter

Shit another online game? Omerta and this is going to ruin my marriage and bussines. I'll resist by now...

Last edited by Icy : 03-16-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #19
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Shit another online game? Omerta and this is going to ruin my marriage and bussines. I'll resist by now...

Give in to the dark side.

Besides, you can get medieval on somebodies ass and actually benefit from it!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #20
NevStar
High School Varsity

After some initial setbacks, the NevStarmy cut a bloody swath through the infidels. Anybody want to trade support points? (User: NevStar)
Old 03-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #21
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Kilt my first opponent. I ticked off a guy so he attacked me 4 times. He lost a man too
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #22
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevStar
After some initial setbacks, the NevStarmy cut a bloody swath through the infidels. Anybody want to trade support points? (User: NevStar)

I have sent a support point your way.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #23
NevStar
High School Varsity

Quote:
I have sent a support point your way.

And back at you! Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #24
Travis
Pro Rookie

Bump for the late crew.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #25
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy

Yeah, I think I'd better pass due to Omerta.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #26
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I guess you get 1/2 a point for every point I get. This would be a good deal for you, but not if I steal your officers.

Spreading officers around would probably be a very good idea when we are at the guild stage. We'd probably get more bang for our buck if many people could get points and the commanders getting half-points. There is probably some math to be done here to figure out the most efficient system, but I'll leave that for others to do.
Given what I understand of the point breakdown (you get 1 point for each officer, 1/2 point for each officers of each of those officers) and the daily points (3 per day?), the best way to break it down maybe to have each commander have 4 officers under them. That gives each commander 4 points from their officers and the commander above them 2 points from that group. That also gives each officers in that group 2 partners to trade points with and leaves each with 1 free points to do with as they please, whether to use as tribute, trade or donate to help out a new starter.

I'll be signing up as soon as we figure out the point scheme, that way we can spread out the points and help each other out.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #27
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Question: Do unused points pool up or do they go away, if unused?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #28
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm in - still working things out - but made a bundle attacking people and invested in tech stocks

Got a few knights defending me now, so should be relatively solid ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #29
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Yeah, I think I'd better pass due to Omerta.

Omerta gives you something to do every minute or two. X-Kings gives you something to do once or twice a day. Once you've run your attack points dry, there is really nothing you can do for at least 4 hours. Not doing anything for 8-12 hours is probably an even better idea. It doesn't take up nearly as much time as Omerta.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #30
Travis
Pro Rookie

Okay, for the sake of getting a FOFC guild going, lets try to figure out a name that we want to use.

I'm submitting, Colossal Mounts.

Few more submissions and we can open a poll.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #31
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Colossal Trout?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:50 PM   #32
KevinNU7
College Starter

Is anyone else accruing a surplus of food rations over time?

Just got the option to create knights, will probably purchase the technology this weekend after I grab the attack doubling one.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #33
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Is anyone else accruing a surplus of food rations over time?

Just got the option to create knights, will probably purchase the technology this weekend after I grab the attack doubling one.

That's a good thing to have. If you are trying to get to a certain gold amount (for a technology or to buy a unit of salt, etc) and don't quite make it in your battle turns, you can use some of your cash to convert workers to soldiers to strengthen your defense (and offense) to try and get the rest of the cash. If you have a good food surplus, you can take the hit of not having workers for a while until you have enough battle turns saved up to get the rest of the cash you need.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #34
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
That's a good thing to have. If you are trying to get to a certain gold amount (for a technology or to buy a unit of salt, etc) and don't quite make it in your battle turns, you can use some of your cash to convert workers to soldiers to strengthen your defense (and offense) to try and get the rest of the cash. If you have a good food surplus, you can take the hit of not having workers for a while until you have enough battle turns saved up to get the rest of the cash you need.

I have been running at basically full military and just enough workers to stay positive food. Is there any real benefit to having more workers and no military? It seems like I would get more food and gold, but getting gold too fast is a good way to get attacked.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #35
Travis
Pro Rookie

I've been running at around 2/3 knights, 1/3 workers. Right now I have 6 workers and 11 knights, so I'm getting 24 gold and 2 food every half hour on top of the food the knights are consuming. So I get an extra 48 food per day at that rate, which if needed, would feed a 17 knight army for just under an hour if I suddenly had the need to defend heavily.

I'd ideally like to have access to 500 extra food so I could really pump up my army size for short time periods when I've got extra cash kicking around, but once I get the 4th side to my fence built, I'm going to be relatively comfortable defense wise.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #36
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just started a FOFC guild there called "Colossal_Might".

Please join up and hopefully we can offer each other a bit more protection this way.

Last edited by Travis : 03-18-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #37
RendeR
Coordinator

sent you a support point travis

signed up:

http://www.x-kings.com/public/new_us...?friend=RendeR
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #38
hukarez
College Starter

I'm in. Decided to 'spread' out and what not, and signed up under RendeR. Sent support points to Travis and RendeR, think I've got an extra one. I'm still fresh to this, so be gentle!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #39
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Joined as Kevin's officer to spread out our points (since that still gets Travis 1/2 point). Support point sent to Travis and Nev.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:23 AM   #40
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey guys, little bit of a technology tree update. After you buy the chapel (which allows you to start having a worker birthrate every month), the next branch in that tree is an update that gives you 6 support points every day instead of 3. I don't have that yet, and need to get espionage first, but hopefully soon I'll have my officers on a 2 day rotation instead of a 4 day one.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #41
hukarez
College Starter

I'm beginning to wonder if I've completely screwed up in my selection/choices for the Tech Tree. I went ahead and snagged Crop Rotation, Horse Shoes, and Water Mill solely for production increases.

I didn't realize the prices of researching the other stuff would have doubled. Is this a good route I took? Focusing solely on production stuff? The concept of more support points via the Mysticism or what not update seems interesting, as I've eager to get my citizens to pork each other as quickly as possible.

Also, the whole "Voting" thing for the month where you get like 50 gold per site or what not -- is that a weekly thing, or a monthly thing?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:20 AM   #42
SunDevil
College Prospect

Joined. In game name : Mervent

Travis I joined using your url.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #43
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
I'm beginning to wonder if I've completely screwed up in my selection/choices for the Tech Tree. I went ahead and snagged Crop Rotation, Horse Shoes, and Water Mill solely for production increases.

I didn't realize the prices of researching the other stuff would have doubled. Is this a good route I took? Focusing solely on production stuff? The concept of more support points via the Mysticism or what not update seems interesting, as I've eager to get my citizens to pork each other as quickly as possible.

Also, the whole "Voting" thing for the month where you get like 50 gold per site or what not -- is that a weekly thing, or a monthly thing?

I don't know if that is weekly or monthly, hoping weekly myself, but at this point, for 50 gold a piece, probably not an overly huge deal.

Especially if you snag Espionage

So far, here's what I've found out in the Technology tree:

Farming - Crop Rotation (Workers +1) - Horse Shoes (Workers +1) - Water Mill (Workers +1)

Watchtower (Defense x2) - Fence (Defense x2 on side fence is built)

Saddles and Stirrups (Create Knights) - Ballista (Create Ballista)

Seige Defense Strategy (Control defensive strategy)

Mysticism (Birthrate +1) - Theology (Birthrate +1)

Trade (Buy Salt or Cloth units)

Writing (Military Experience x2)

Espionage (See enemies army unit total)

Diplomacy (6 support points instead of 3)

I've grouped these by type here, can't remember the exact order of each branch of the tree. I think it's as follows (please correct me if you see an error, I'm kind of fuzzy on the early stages):

Farming - Crop Rotation - Horse Shoes - Water Mill
Trade - Writing
Watch Tower - Fence - Seige Defense - Theology

? - Espionage - Ballista
? - Mysticism - Diplomacy

I can't remember for the life of me where Saddles & Stirrups fit in. Anybody able to fill in my blanks or tie in the branches that I'm missing the earlier portions for?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #44
NevStar
High School Varsity

Horse Shoes is a dependency for Saddles & Stirrups.

After Writing is Chain Mail (double attack & defense, pretty nice)

Can you give the attack/defense ratings of Ballista?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #45
Travis
Pro Rookie

Ballistas are 4x as powerful as knights, but only usable for offense, they aren't used to help defend you castle at all.

And wow, I'll be heading after Chain Mail asap.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #46
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

For those that haven't thought of it yet, the trade technology gives you the ability to have a "bank". You generally sell items for less than you bought them, but if you find outself out of attack points with not enough money to buy the next tech, you can buy items and not just see all of your gold get stolen.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #47
Travis
Pro Rookie

So this is our updated technology tree:

Farming - Crop Rotation - Horse Shoes - Saddles & Stirrups - Water Mill - ?
Trade - Writing - Chain Mail - ?
Watch Tower - Fence - Seige Defense - Theology - ?

? - Espionage - Ballista - ?
? - Mysticism - Diplomacy - ?

Also, the pay scale at 4,000 then jumps to 6,000 followed by 8,000 and 10,000. Not sure if it then jumps to 12,000 or to (as I'm guessing) 15,000.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #48
SunDevil
College Prospect

No

Crop Rotation - Horse Shoes - Water Mill

Horse Shoes - Saddles Stiirrups

Last edited by SunDevil : 03-20-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:12 PM   #49
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone cares about our current command structure, here is a list in current points order:

Fallen_Seeker
-------------
GuidoB
NavStar
Tokunaga
Bama_Deac
Marcy2
CaptainSlug
Solaar
MattWisbey
RendeR
Mervent

Tokunaga
---------
Hunter19
Night_Shadow
Shivastan
Tokey

CaptainSlug
-----------
slugpitcher
slugstrike

RendeR
-------
HirsheySquirt

KevinNU7
---------
Hekateros
Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #50
SunDevil
College Prospect

I just thougt I would add that there are a lot of players that have quit or no longer play. After your first day and you get more support, trying going to page 800 in the attack screen. You will see a lot of 1700, 1800 gold players who have only like 6 units and 10 power. You can just clean these guys out for money. Also make sure that they do not have a commander. There are a lot of them that have no connections.

The only thing that I am worried about and do not have the experience is when a veteran takes notice of me, and blasts me back to the stone age. We will see.

I also wished the technology did not increase so fast in price. I wish it was leveled technology so the first three Techs would be level 1 and always 250 gold, level 2 would be 500 and so on, but oh well.