Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2005, 02:44 AM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Announcers

I'm curious about some of the people around the country and views on their announcers.

For instance, most people know about the Giants guy John Miller (a great announcer) because of his Sunday Night games for ESPN or some of the Cubs and Braves announcing team since they're on quite a bit. And most people have heard of that braying "THHAAAA YANKEEEEES WINNNN" jackass because they love to play it on ESPN.

But the Padres guy who won the Frick award last year I had never heard of. I'm looking to learn more particularly about some of the teams that don't get as much publicity (like the Mariners or Brewers and the like).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:54 AM   #2
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Well I guess a lot of people know the Giants' Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper from MVP2005. Personally, I think the Giants have the best team of commentators in the game. Listening to the radio or watching games on tv is fun even when the game sucks because of the commentators.

One of my friends has a MLB package and one weekend I was visiting him and got to watch a few games with commentators from the Chicago White Sox. They're pretty entertaining, although thats mostly because they are homers. But great stuff.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 AM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i think Vin Scully of the Dodgers is one of the best for solo announcing a game.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Well I guess a lot of people know the Giants' Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper from MVP2005. Personally, I think the Giants have the best team of commentators in the game.

They may be great in real life - I wouldn't know - but they are ASS in MVP 2005. Just like with the guy who called the HH2k4 games, I'm nearing the point where I would rip my ears off before listening to them in real life.

Like jbmagic, my preference is far and away for Vin Scully, although I will admit to being intrigued to see how the Dodgers will handle the team of Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner for the two-man booth (after Vin's early inning simulcasts).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Vince
Pro Starter

Admit it Josh -- you're just annoyed by Krukow. Kuiper has a great voice for baseball, and does great play-by-play. The game does Krukow no justice though, as it's just little catchphrases that he repeats over and over again.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Ron Gant has joined the booth for Braves games this year. I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but I heard about it and wanted to post it somewhere.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

bert blyleven rocks
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:48 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
One of my friends has a MLB package and one weekend I was visiting him and got to watch a few games with commentators from the Chicago White Sox. They're pretty entertaining, although thats mostly because they are homers. But great stuff.

I have just lost all respect for you. Those fuckers suck. "Listen to smug me - I used to play in the majors so I can say cool stuff like 'can a corn' and shit. We specialize in being WS-rooting jackasses who fill our broadcasts with inside jokes and cool baseball jargon."

Well, they can take their broadcasts and shove them up their asses, YES!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #9
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Ron Gant has joined the booth for Braves games this year. I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but I heard about it and wanted to post it somewhere.

I think Ron is only on for 30 some odd games, and it is possible he'll be with the group that broadcasts on Turner South not TBS. Not sure about that, but with the limited appearances it seems to fit.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
Eagle458
n00b

The Hawk from the Whitesox makes me want to puke. Shows no respect for the opposing team.
And of course Put in on the board...YES!!!! Yuk.

Vin Scully is the best and I can't stand the Dodgers but watch them cause of him.
Eagle458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
I think Ron is only on for 30 some odd games, and it is possible he'll be with the group that broadcasts on Turner South not TBS. Not sure about that, but with the limited appearances it seems to fit.

I believe he did some last year too. They had a thing called Braves Xtra or something like that. It may have been every Friday night (don't remember) They had crazy graphics showing how big a lead a runner was getting off of first base, more baseball strategy talk than usual (very dumbed down though), and some other things to set it apart from a normal broadcast.

From what I remember, Gant did a good job.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Praise for Hawk Harrelson? *shudder* The White Sox crew is awful, utterly awful.

As for the original post, if you've never heard of the Padres announcer, do a google search for 'Jerry Coleman Quotes'. He is famous for his misspokenness - think Harry Caray, only sober.

Here's a link to a few of his more famous botched comments.

Quote:
"If Pete Rose brings the Reds in first, they ought to bronze him and put him in cement."

"It's a base hit on the error by Roberts."

"There's a deep fly ball... Winfield goes back, back... his head hits the wall ... it's rolling towards second base."

"Thomas is racing for it, but McCovey is there and can't get his glove to it. That play shows the inexperience, not on Thomas' part, but on the part of Willie McC ... well, not on McCovey's part either."

"They throw Winfield out at second, but he's safe."

"Jesus Alou is in the on-deck circus."

"Kent Abbott is in the on-deck circuit."

"There is someone warming up in the Giants' bullpen, but he's obscured by his number."

"Johnny Grubb slides into second with a standup double."

"All the Padres need is a flyball in the air."

"Davis fouls out to third in fair territory."

"There's a shot up the alley. Oh, it's just foul."

"The new Haitian baseball can't weigh more than four ounces or less than five."

"That's the fourth extra base hit for the Padres -- two doubles and a triple."

"Montreal leads Atlanta by three, 5-1."

"You might want to put this in the back of your craw and think about it."

"Last night's homer was Willie Stargell's 399th career home run, leaving him one shy of 500."

"The first pitch to Tucker Ashford is grounded into left field. No, wait a minute. It's ball one. Low and outside."

"That's Hendrick's 19th home run. One more and he reaches double figures."

"Well, it looks like the all-star balloting is about over, especially in the National and American Leagues."

"The Padres, after winning the first game of the doubleheader, are ahead here in the top of the fifth and hoping for a split."

"At the end of six innings of play, it's Montreal 5, Expos 3."

"Tony Taylor was one of the first acquisitions that the Phillies made when they reconstructed their team. They got him from Philadelphia."

"Mike Caldwell, the Padres' right-handed southpaw, will pitch tonight."

"The ex-left-hander Dave Roberts will be going for Houston."

"Hector Torrez, how can you communicate with Enzo Hernandez when he speaks Spanish and you speak Mexican ?"

"Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."

At Royals Stadium: "The sky is so clear today you can see all the way to Missouri"

"I sure hope you're staying alive for the upcoming Dodgers series."

"National League umpires wear inside chest protesters."

"The Phillies beat the Cubs today in a doubleheader. That puts another keg in the Cubs' coffin."

"Sanguillen is totally unpredictable to pitch to because he's so unpredicatable."

"Ron Guidry is not very big, maybe 140 pounds, but he has an arm like a lion."

"The way he's swinging the bat, he won't get a hit until the 20th century."

"There's two heads to every coin."

"Billy Almon has all of his inlaw and outlaws here this afternoon."

"If ever an error had "F" written on it, that grounder did."

"If Rose's streak was still intact, with that single to left, the fans would be throwing babies out of the upper deck."

"He can be lethal death."

"Sometimes, big trees grow out of acorns. I think I heard that from a squirrel." "Gonzo leaps like a giraffe and grabs it."

"Hats off to drug abusers everywhere."

"That noise in my earphones knocked my nose off and I had to pick it up and find it."

"At the end, excitement maintained its hysteria."

"Hi folks, I'm Gerry Gross... Coleman!"

Last edited by Hammer755 : 03-16-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze

Might be. Just heard that he has "joined the booth." Nothing more. I always liked Gant. He was one of those interesting stories (switching from Infield to Outfield, and then becoming a 30-30 player). Of course, he is probably one of the earliest roid suspects, too.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #14
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Found an article on it. He'll only do 17 games, but they'll be on TBS.

Quote:
Former Braves second baseman and outfielder Ron Gant signed today to serve as an analyst for 17 Atlanta Braves games on TBS this season. He will join play-by-play announcer Chip Caray and analysts Joe Simpson & Don Sutton (who will rotate) for special “Braves TBS Xtra” broadcasts. Like last season, the “Braves TBS Xtra” coverage will feature enhanced graphics, a sports ticker, a virtual leadoff meter, hit chart diagram and other cool neato whiz-bang technologies. The first “Braves TBS Xtra” telecast will start at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 9th (against the Mets).

Ron Gant made headlines last month when he was involved in a fatal car wreck. A pick-up truck, driven by a 74-year old resident of Douglasville, Georgia, turned into oncoming traffic where it was struck by the SUV Gant was driving. Gant sustained no serious injuries and no charges were filed.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Michael Kay and John Sterling from the Yankees is maybe the worst announcers of all time. The guys that do the Phillies games are really good. Harry Callous and some other guy, can't think of his name right now.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #16
Ksyrup

The Red Sox guys are the best. And I was saying that before they won it all last year!

Seriously, watching the MLB package for the pasat two years, I actually started watching the Sox on a fairly regular basis because of Remy and the other guy.

I hate listening to the Yankees' announcers not because they suck, but because they are for the Yankees. Good enough reason for me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-16-2005, 10:06 AM   #17
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
They may be great in real life - I wouldn't know - but they are ASS in MVP 2005. Just like with the guy who called the HH2k4 games, I'm nearing the point where I would rip my ears off before listening to them in real life.

Like jbmagic, my preference is far and away for Vin Scully, although I will admit to being intrigued to see how the Dodgers will handle the team of Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner for the two-man booth (after Vin's early inning simulcasts).

They are awesome in real life - best broadcasters in any city I've heard so far. As for Scully- I'm not particularly impressed by him - not bad, but not great in the limited time I've listened to him.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Another vote for Vin Scully. When I hear his voice, it reminds me of when I was a kid watching the Saturday Game of the Week.

The Pirates had a gem in their color man, Steve Blass, but he just retired. Their play-by-play guys Lanny Frattere and Greg Brown are just okay to me. Frattere gets treated like a king because he has been there for like 25 years and Brown gets a little too excited at times, but they are both solid. Their color men are now Bob Walk, who is decent, but not as funny as he thinks he is, and John Wehner replaces Blass. How he continues to make money from the Pirates is a mystery to fans.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #19
Ramzavail
College Starter

Worst - Charlie Steiner - Yankees - BY FAR THE WORST - I absolutely refuse to listen to him on the radio but I love when he makes mistakes and often times he does.

One of the best, and I wish he'd come back to baseball - was Gary Thorne, I thought he was great with the Mets. Gary Cohen does a very good job as well.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
Worst - Charlie Steiner - Yankees - BY FAR THE WORST - I absolutely refuse to listen to him on the radio but I love when he makes mistakes and often times he does.

One of the best, and I wish he'd come back to baseball - was Gary Thorne, I thought he was great with the Mets. Gary Cohen does a very good job as well.

i think he is the new Dodgers announcer that replace Ross porter.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i think he is the new Dodgers announcer that replace Ross porter.

Poor Ross. I never cared for him as an announcer, but he deserved better than to be replaced by Charlie Steiner. I wish Drysdale was still with us.

And Vince - I don't have anything against Kuiper and Krukow personally, and I'm sure they call a decent game, but you have to admit, the announcing is ass in MVP 2005. Go rent MLB 2006, compare the announcing crews, and then come back and tell me with a straight face that K&K are any good in the video game world.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
The guys that do the Phillies games are really good. Harry Callous and some other guy, can't think of his name right now.

I hope this is an honest spelling mistake (Kalas). I know they've had Chris Wheeler for years, don't know if they still have Andy Musser (don't catch too many games where I am). I guess Scott Graham is in their booth too. RIP, Whitey Ashburn.

Was lucky enough to hear Jon Miller do O's games while in college and soonafter, before that ass-munch Angelos ran him off to San Fran. Jim Hunter is good, but he's no Jon Miller. Of course now they've added Joe Angel, whose voice actually sounds a lot like Miller, only with a bit of an accent.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Since the Cubs have a pair of new TV guys, jury's still out on em. Santo in the radio booth has always rocked, though. He's a big fan, and he acts like it on the radio.

Incidentally, I couldn't stand Chip Caray, and Steve Stone...eh. He was alright.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #24
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

The "other guy" for the Red Sox is Don Orsillo, who is as plain as plain can be. He annoys the crap out of me. Remy is great though.

Before the ownership change for the Sox, which put Sean McDonough on the outs with the team (his dad, before he had passed, wasn't in the Henry/Luccino camp and was quite vocal about it), the McDonough/Remy tandem was probably one of the best in baseball. McDonough is a great play-by-play guy with a great voice and he and Remy had a great flow together. McDonough, being a Sox fan but also a national announcer, was the right mix of homer/rationalist to suit my tastes.

In fact, two of my favorite calls are non-Red Sox McDonough calls - the call of Joe Carter's World Series clinching HR and the call of the last few minutes of the 1999 West Virginia-Virginia Tech game. McDonough has nothing invested in either game, but he clearly gets engaged by the action to where you actually hear the emotion in his call.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Since the Cubs have a pair of new TV guys, jury's still out on em. Santo in the radio booth has always rocked, though. He's a big fan, and he acts like it on the radio.

Incidentally, I couldn't stand Chip Caray, and Steve Stone...eh. He was alright.

Back before Stone left the first time (what was the story with that?), I thought he was the best color man I had ever heard. After coming back, he had lost a little, I thought but was still quite good. Now, who knows how they'll be with an entirely new team.

SI

Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Back before Stone left the first time (what was the story with that?), I thought he was the best color man I had ever heard. After coming back, he had lost a little, I thought but was still quite good. Now, who knows how they'll be with an entirely new team.

Hmm. I think he just took some time off, but I cannot be sure. Was quite awhile ago.

LOT of folks love Stoney, and he certainly wasn't bad/obnoxious/whatever. I just didn't think he had all that much, well, color.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #27
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'm looking to learn more particularly about some of the teams that don't get as much publicity (like the Mariners or Brewers and the like).

Brewers - Bob Uecker and Jim Powell on the radio are an excellent team. Everybody knows Bob, as he has plenty of good stories and of course the "Hey!, Way Back! Get up! Get outta here! Gone!"

Powell I also believe is an excellent announcer as he does a certain amount of innings a game. He's very intelligent and present the game in a manner that I really enjoy listening to.

On the television for the Brewers they have Daron Sutton (son of Don) and Bill Schroeder. I believe Sutton worked for the Angels before the Brewers and Schroeder has done color commentary for the Brewers for a little while now.

I wasn't a huge fan at one point of this team but they've grown on me. Schroeder isn't the greatest but Sutton is definitely getting better. They get involved with the fans and even have their own section in the stadium called the "Buckethead Brigade" which fills seats in a certain section every single Tuesday night.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I agree 100%.

Maybe I missed it but has anyone said anythiig about Joe Buck?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #29
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I like Jon Miller, Gary Thorne (I like him in both hockey and baseball), Uecker (although that means listening to a brewers game), and I like the Atlanta guys.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #30
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord

Chip sucked, but I disagree on Stoney -- pure brilliance. Great baseball mind and amusing, droll delivery. I'm a Cub fan without a team now -- trying to perform a Cub-ectomy on myself, but I must admit it's tough. I just can't believe they had the audacity to run off Steve flippin' Stone because wittle Dusty got his feewings hurt, not to mention replacing him with the worst manager to ever win a World Series in Bob "Trying to win a game is chickenshit" Brenly. Just a tough 1-2 punch there.

And addressing an earlier comment, Hawk Harrelson is simply the worst announcer in the history of western civilization.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #31
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Found an article on it. He'll only do 17 games, but they'll be on TBS.

Former Braves second baseman and outfielder Ron Gant signed today to serve as an analyst for 17 Atlanta Braves games on TBS this season. He will join play-by-play announcer Chip Caray and analysts Joe Simpson & Don Sutton (who will rotate) for special “Braves TBS Xtra” broadcasts. Like last season, the “Braves TBS Xtra” coverage will feature enhanced graphics, a sports ticker, a virtual leadoff meter, hit chart diagram and other cool neato whiz-bang technologies. The first “Braves TBS Xtra” telecast will start at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 9th (against the Mets).

Do Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren still work for Braves radio?

I liked the TBS broadcasts better when Skip and Pete were involved.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #32
Ksyrup

Steve Stone was great with Harry Caray because he had an understated way of correcting Harry without embarrassing him. I still remember the spring training game between the Padres and Cubs where Harry somehow threw out "South Dakota" instead of San Diego, and Stone was able to correct him without smacking him upside the head and asking him how many beers he'd had that day. Like I would have done.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #33
General Mike
Pro Starter

I like Dave O'Brien when he does Mets games on WB11 in NY. Tom Seaver, not so good.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #34
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Of the national guys, Vin Scully is an icon and one of the all-time greats. I haven't heard him much lately, and I would assume that age is probably slowing him down some, but in his heyday he was baseball for me. Jon Miller is outstanding, my favorite national broadcaster right now. I'm lukewarm on Joe Morgan, but I prefer him over Tim McCarver as a color guy. I've always though Bob Costas was a very good play-by-play guy, though smug enough to bother me at times. Way back when I watched TBS doing Braves games, I really liked Skip Carey and his dry sense of humor and delivery. Joe Buck is OK - I don't dislike him, which I guess is a good sign. The play-by-play guy shouldn't be annoying. I generally like Gary Thorne, though I havent' heard him all that much.

Locally, our man Dave Niehaus is starting to get old enough that he's having more and more "senior moments", but he's got a great voice, just the right amount of enthusiasm without being an annoying homer, and a great, homespun-yarn way of calling the game and telling stories. He was up for the Ford Frick award again this year and didn't make it, but he's a guy that really deserves it. For any M's fan, he is Mariners baseball, and the games just won't be as fun when he's gone. If you haven't ever heard him, he's worth a listen.

Unfortunately for us his partners suck. Rick Rizzs is a fawning homer, Ron Fairly is knowledgeable but annoying as hell, and our former player color guys are mediocre at best. Dave Valle is OK, Dave Henderson is very odd (though odd enough to actually be a bit interesting). Jay Buhner has done a few telecasts and has real potential, but I think he's too honest to do the broadcasting game. He'd be a guy that would get fired easily for being too critical of the home team, and with Bone you're always waiting for that moment when he slips and cusses on the air.

We had Chip Carey a few years back and I found him extremely bland. We've had Tom Paciorek a few times doing color, and he's funny but there's something a little off about him. Our pre-game guy for many years, Rich Waltz just took an announcing gig somewhere else (I can't remember off the top of my head) - he has potential as a play-by-play guy. He's smart, has a nice even delivery, but he needs to work on his tone - he can be a little too flat.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #35
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
We've had Tom Paciorek a few times doing color, and he's funny but there's something a little off about him.

Yeah, well, he was molested by a priest when he was a kid. That'll do it.

My dad called it, too. First time he heard Wimpy, he said, "This guy must have been molested by a priest," and lo and behold, a couple years ago, the news broke. Paciorek joined a long list of accusers against a priest in Michigan. Amazing.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #36
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
But the Padres guy who won the Frick award last year I had never heard of. I'm looking to learn more particularly about some of the teams that don't get as much publicity (like the Mariners or Brewers and the like).

SI

Maybe that's because last year's winner, Lon Simmons, was a former Giants and A's announcer, not a Padres announcer. He also did 49ers games for many, many years. Lon was an icon in the Bay Area, but you might not have heard of him because completely eschewed self promotion, to the point of making Vin Scully promise not to promote him for the award (Scully was on the selection committee). He also turned down an offer in the '60s from CBS to do NFL games. But he was a great announcer. His last game in 2002 before retiring for good, he and Willie Mays just chatted about baseball the whole game, while Joe Angel would chime in the play-by-play as needed. Now that might sound like a strange way to do a game, but it not only worked, it was one of the greatest things I've ever heard on radio.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
His last game in 2002 before retiring for good, he and Willie Mays just chatted about baseball the whole game, while Joe Angel would chime in the play-by-play as needed. Now that might sound like a strange way to do a game, but it not only worked, it was one of the greatest things I've ever heard on radio.

That's one of the beautiful things about baseball IMO, especially listening to baseball on the radio. Given the nature of the game, broadcasts lend themselves perfectly to good storytellers, something that is nearly impossible with football, basketball and hockey.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think Joe Simpson has come a long way from where he started as an announcer & I find him pretty likable. And Pete Van Wieren knows his stuff, probably better on radio though. Don Sutton I enjoy, although after a while I think I've heard all his stuff. I could live the rest of my life without ever hearing Skip Caray again. Tom Paciorek is fine for the limited number of games he does each year. And I'm an oddball, I like Bob Rathbun on Turner South, nothing flashy or special, but he's "an announcer" doing his job & I kinda like that about him.

The guy I miss hearing is Jim Kaat, who I really liked when he worked with the Braves a few years back. And I hate that the Braves have changed the Friday Xtra format, last year with special guests like Ozzie Smith, Harmon Killebrew, Mike Schmidt & others was something I really enjoyed.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #39
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I remember when Joe Simpson started off on Mariner's broadcasts - I thought he was great and was very bummed to see him go.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #40
Vince
Pro Starter

Sack -- I haven't played enough games to be annoyed by them yet (stuipid mini-games)

Combine that with my last baseball video game being circa 1996 (can you say Lenny Dykstra still playing for the Phillies?), and I don't have much experience with video game baseball announcers.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #41
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
I like Jon Miller, Gary Thorne (I like him in both hockey and baseball), Uecker (although that means listening to a brewers game), and I like the Atlanta guys.

gary thorne is, by far, my favorite hockey announcer. I'll watch any game he and Billl clement are doing regardless of the teams..

Only 7+ months until NHL season in 2005-6.

I miss the REds announcing team of Marty Brennaman and the old lefthander Joe nuxall...
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #42
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Jon Miller, Joe Angel, and Dr. Paul Eicholz running the board for the O's in the late 80's/early 90's. The baseball wasn't that great but the announcing was pretty entertaining.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 AM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe that's because last year's winner, Lon Simmons, was a former Giants and A's announcer, not a Padres announcer. He also did 49ers games for many, many years. Lon was an icon in the Bay Area, but you might not have heard of him because completely eschewed self promotion, to the point of making Vin Scully promise not to promote him for the award (Scully was on the selection committee). He also turned down an offer in the '60s from CBS to do NFL games. But he was a great announcer. His last game in 2002 before retiring for good, he and Willie Mays just chatted about baseball the whole game, while Joe Angel would chime in the play-by-play as needed. Now that might sound like a strange way to do a game, but it not only worked, it was one of the greatest things I've ever heard on radio.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hi...005/050222.htm (Jerry Coleman won it about a month ago)

SI

Old 03-17-2005, 02:11 AM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
I'm lukewarm on Joe Morgan, but I prefer him over Tim McCarver as a color guy. I've always though Bob Costas was a very good play-by-play guy, though smug enough to bother me at times. Way back when I watched TBS doing Braves games, I really liked Skip Carey and his dry sense of humor and delivery. Joe Buck is OK - I don't dislike him, which I guess is a good sign. The play-by-play guy shouldn't be annoying. I generally like Gary Thorne, though I havent' heard him all that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I agree 100%.

Maybe I missed it but has anyone said anythiig about Joe Buck?
Joe Buck is just average. Not good, not bad. Annoying at times in the Costas smugness sort of way.

Speaking of just there, that's Joe Morgan. He doesn't really detract from the broadcast but he rarely adds anything. Still, since Miller is such a good announcer, the team works.

McCarver, well, he's more or less a national joke at this point, at least among non-Jeter-loving baseball fans.

As for Thorne, well, I love the Thorne/Clement hockey team but won't be hearing them this year. Because I'm so use to them as ESPN's top hockey team, I don't think of him as a baseball announcer. I know some of the Canadian hockey fans think we're completely missing out and we've never heard good announcers, but I love their call. (edit: wrote this before seeing finkenst's comments).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-17-2005 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:51 AM   #45
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Dave Niehaus is great for the Mariners. Rick Rizzs (or however you spell it) isn't too bad either. But I HATE Ron Fairly. They should let Ichiro use him for target practice for throwing home.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:26 AM   #46
Z²+
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
The Pirates had a gem in their color man, Steve Blass, but he just retired.

Just to clarify, Swaggs, but Blass didn't totally retire. He's decided that he only wants to do his color commentary duties for home games, so we'll still get to enjoy him for half the season. Wehner takes over his duties on the road only.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Z²+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #47
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hi...005/050222.htm (Jerry Coleman won it about a month ago)

SI

Well, you said last year, not last month in your original post, so I thought you were talking about the 2004 winner. I actually didn't even know they had announced this year's winner yet.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, you said last year, not last month in your original post, so I thought you were talking about the 2004 winner. I actually didn't even know they had announced this year's winner yet.

Yeah, my bad. I misspoke (typed, whatever).

SI

Old 03-17-2005, 09:54 PM   #49
Suicane75
Coordinator

Harry Kallas in Philly is just fantastic, I grew up on him and Richie Ashburn. Scott Graham does the radio with Larry Anderson and they are both an excellent listen. Chris Wheeler however is able to ruin any enjoyment I may get out of either pair, he's just awfull.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 03-17-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:48 PM   #50
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Holy Shit. Yes, that's Shit with a capital 's'. Happens to be a good extra-inning game between the Sox and the Indians on TV right now. But for the love of all that is true, these Sox announcers are brutal. I swear that the two fellas that do the local HS football games on public broadcast could do a better job than these two.

They don't even provide actual color or analysis, it's just "come on" and "the sun in left field won't even affect [whoever the fuck the CHI LF is]". Makes me really appreciate what we've got up here in the five state area with Dick Bremer and Bert Blyleven.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote