Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Fight Night: Round 2

To ease my pain after the OU loss this afternoon in the big 12 Mens basketball tournament, I decided to use one of my coupons to rent a game.
It came down between this game, and Winning Eleven 8. WE8 is always checked in and I wasnt in a soccer mood, so I went with Fight night.

The game is very similar to the first Fight Night. It has some nice improvements from what I have read, but Im not real sure on specifics since I never played 2k4. I started a career, and have been having a good time of it so far.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't played the new Fight Night, but I hear that the "haymakers" are way overdone. You can use them far too often, and there's not a big enough stamina penalty for using them. I guess your mileage may vary.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I cant tell Pumpy, because I use controller setup #5 which doesnt allow you to throw them AFAIK. Must be why I have a hard time getting KO's

Old 03-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
It came down between this game, and Winning Eleven 8. WE8 is always checked in and I wasnt in a soccer mood, so I went with Fight night.

Blasphemer!
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

Just from what I've seen of the new one, they have a really wonky camera now don't they? Just seeing some kids play it on display at EBGames it seemed way overdone.

I sorta enjoyed the first one, I really wish they'd get normal announcers and not go the hip-hop route with it though. Kinda kills it for me.

Be interested to hear if it is that much better than the original though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I thought the camera worked pretty well. The cutscenes for the knockouts were overdone, and the Announcer is a bit annoying after awhile.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Ironhead
College Prospect

The game is alright. There is room for improvement, but just like a lot of sports games it is what you make of it. Most people would rather complain and cry than actually find a few good friends that do not play like asses and just have a good time.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

It's not a bad arcade game. I found the graphics to be entertaining especially the damage to the face. I don't like the lack of knockout graphics or the fact that you have to knock a guy down 4 or 5 times to get a knockout every single time. The character creation is pretty nice and gives a lot of options (especially the fat/muscle ratio thing).

The rap only soundtrack sucks. Not sure why they think boxing fans are fans of rap...they could have at least given players options to have at least one or two rock songs. The announcer didn't bother me much. Nothing to brag about, but didn't annoy me.

For an arcade boxing game the gameplay is pretty good IMO. I like that you can approach the game in different styles. You can stick and move and fight from the outside, cover up and go inside to the body to slow down your opponent, be a counterpuncher and parry shots, etc. Lots of choices once you learn the controls (which does take a little time).

The career mode is pretty typical for an arcade boxing game. Top 50 and fight your way up. They have an interesting approach to the finances in that they allow you to unlock and upgrade equipment. A decent selection of equipment adds a little to the game. The choices of trainers, corner men, etc are pretty limited though which was a little disappointing. The option to fight up to 10 matches as an amateur is nice to learn the ropes. Between fight training is again typical of these games.

Overall, not a lot of new things but there's also not a lot of choices out there if you want a boxing game. Hopefully sometime in the next decade OOTP Development will release their boxing game with a career mode, that's about the only thing boxing fans have to look forward to from what I see.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yep. gotta echo what's already been said. It's an entertaining game, but in no way a boxing simulation. It's to TBCB what Burnout 3 is to Gran Turismo...

But it is a lot of fun. The HD graphics on the XBox are really great, but like some other HD games, I'm puzzled as to why it is not 16:9. I haven't tried it on XBox live yet. Any takers?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
Emiliano
College Prospect

Arrived at home today. I played like 2 matches, I'd say a lot better than the first one. More control over the punches, more options. For now, I like it.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
Emiliano
College Prospect

Update on this too: I played all 10 amateur matches, and won the title in the last fight. I'd say the Haymaker thing it's a little overdone, because you can use it all the time, but it's still a fun game. In my first pro match I decide to partecipate in the "Everlast Event", and I won 5000 $ and unlocked new stuff. I like the training, and the cutman thing.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
Emiliano
College Prospect

I forgot: is anybody still playing this?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #13
hukarez
College Starter

I've played it probably once or twice -- tried it online, got seriously worked over by some other guy. Haven't played it since, but I think I'll still hang onto it.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have been playing it regularly over the last 2 weeks.

I'm enjoying it. I'm taking my times moving up the ladder as a lghtweight. I'm 34-0 w/ 34 KOs and I think I am ranked 11th or so.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote