Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Edgerrin James to be traded?

Looks like the Colts want a 2nd round pick for him? Cap hell anyone?

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
CraigSca
Pro Starter

One of the reasons why I don't think the hard cap is all that and a bag of chips (unlike most people).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I tend to agree. I would love to see loyalty be rewarded by not counting so hard against the cap. If a guy wants to stay on the team that drafted him, he should not be punished (but he should still get the proper salary he deserves).

Maybe a 25% discount for the cap (that would still be paid to a player but hidden from the cap) for resigning players that were originally drafted by a team?

Loyalty? The guy wants to be traded.

If the Colts wanted him or want him they will keep him.

I believe they are doing Colts fans a favor by not signing him long term. He's a guy I feel will drop off very quickly. Already he's lost a significant amount of his speed and burst.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-11-2005 at 01:39 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
If a guy wants to stay on the team that drafted him, he should not be punished (but he should still get the proper salary he deserves).

This isn't intended to be a hostile question, but -- how is this different from saying that a team just ought to be able to keep the players it wants to keep at fair salaries?

Seems to me you either have a salary cap (NFL) or you don't have one but say you do (NBA).

I don't see this as a situation where the cap is treating either the player or the team unfairly. The Colts invested big dollars (and cap space) in other players. Now they find themselves practically unable to re-sign this player. What's the hubbub?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

I tend to agree. I would love to see loyalty be rewarded by not counting so hard against the cap. If a guy wants to stay on the team that drafted him, he should not be punished (but he should still get the proper salary he deserves).

Maybe a 25% discount for the cap (that would still be paid to a player but hidden from the cap) for resigning players that were originally drafted by a team?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Much ado about nothing.

Young, talented RB's are a dime a dozen, and with the solid system in Indy, there's no need to pay top dollar for a veteran at that position. They could draft someone in the third round and save a heap of money.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Seems to me you either have a salary cap (NFL) or you don't have one but say you do (NBA) or you say you need one and then you don't but you do unless you don't and it doesn't matter because nobody is paying attention (NHL).
Fixed.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Seems to me you either have a salary cap (NFL) or you don't have one but say you do (NBA) or you say you need one and then you don't but you do unless you don't and it doesn't matter because nobody is paying attention (NHL).

Fixed.

The NHL has a salary cap. It's $0.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-11-2005 at 02:13 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

Been there, done that... (Faulk)

I like James a lot and I'd hate to see him go, but I can't imagine giving him a longterm deal at this stage.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
This isn't intended to be a hostile question, but -- how is this different from saying that a team just ought to be able to keep the players it wants to keep at fair salaries?

Seems to me you either have a salary cap (NFL) or you don't have one but say you do (NBA).

I don't see this as a situation where the cap is treating either the player or the team unfairly. The Colts invested big dollars (and cap space) in other players. Now they find themselves practically unable to re-sign this player. What's the hubbub?

I don't have a problem with the cap size. And perhaps my suggestion wasn't warranted using James as an example.

My thought process is a manipulation of a desire of mine to see 10-year (and older) vets get any salary a team wishes to give them--provided the player never voluntarily left a football team via free agency--and the team would only have to be account for the veteran minimum wage on the cap list. Kind of like the NBA process and the Franchise Tag process.

It's not that I don't believe in a players right to move teams or that I agree with how the NBA does things or that I approve of the Franchise Tag, it's that I believe that a player that is loyal to his team and the fans should be encouraged to stay with that team. (For instance - Everybody in the NFL Football world hates Warren Sapp except Buccaneer fans. I would love to have seen Sapp, even in his deteriorating state to have retired as a Buccaneer. But the team let him go because they wouldn't pay him. Maybe if it only would have cost them the minimum wage, they would have kept him around.)

Maybe it's bad logic for sentimental reasons.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
condors
College Starter

that would mess up the whole, reload every year and have a chance to win

the ability to go from last to first is something the nfl wants badly.

they don't want cities to have bad teams for decades

its not an easy thing but bad teams can become good quickly once the proper gm and coach are in place

Personally i liked the days of limited player movement but those days are over
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

why would you want cities to have bad teams for decades and limited player movement?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #13
condors
College Starter

I like having a bunch of guys play together for a decade(where they are bad or good they are my guys)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

James is extremely loyal (to the team that pays him)
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

I don't dislike the fact that I got to see the Bucs win a Super Bowl when that was probably financially impossible during the 1970's and 1980's. I appreciate that effort on the part of the NFL and the NFLPA.

I am not suggesting wholesale changes to the system, it's still pretty damned good compared to anything else out there. I'm suggesting just a tweak and one that may only suit my interests. I would like more player/team association but I guess in the end, I realize I can't have my cake and eat it too.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

Dude...throwing big long term dollars at running backs is key. Look how it worked out for Portis and the 'Skins...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Dude...throwing big long term dollars at running backs is key. Look how it worked out for Portis and the 'Skins...

Exactly. That signing baffled me. Gibbs won a Super Bowl with Ernest Freaking Byner as his featured RB. (Yes, THAT Ernest Byner)

Why did he feel the need to sign a big money guy? I mean, come on.. Clinton Portis is no Timmy Smith...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
On the other hand, it's worked out pretty well for the Chargers.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #19
mhass
High School Varsity

I'd put good money on [insert any Indy back here] putting up good numbers next year if James moves on. James is good, but having that kind of passing game (and O-Line) makes him look much better.

Last edited by mhass : 03-11-2005 at 04:11 PM.
mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, Rhodes always looked good replacing James. Most teams are so terrified of the pass they'll let the RB get his yards.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Everytime someone starts crying about the NFL salary cap I really want to slap them in the face and give them the Vito Corleone "you can act like a man!" line.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-11-2005 at 11:34 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #22
Lucky Jim
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Everytime someone starts crying about the NFL salary cap I really want to slap them in the face and give them the Vito Corleone "you can act like a man!" line.

Don't really have anything to add on James, but this is one of my all-time favorite lines. Just had to pay my respects.
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote