Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
JeffNights
College Prospect

Power to the People!! (Real Life Union Organizing journal)

Ok, I have worked at my armored truck company three years and enough is enough. We need a union. The workers are fed up, but no one seems to ever want to do anything about it. So hell, I decided fuck it. I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling.

I contacted many different unions, Teamsters, UAW, numerous other some ones, and kept getting the same damn thing.

"Do you carry firearms?"

"Well, yes of course."

"Sorry, cant help you. Not our turf"

Something along those lines from 6 differnt local organizers.

Out of desperation, i called a local Police Union, pheraps they can help.

The guy I talked to turned out to be extremely helpful. He pointed me towards the Security Police and Fire Professionals of America.
Paydirt!

I check out thier website, call the international rep and BAMO!! They will indeed represent us. Turns out, my company had them as thier union 15 years ago, i knew there was one, I just didnt know it was them.

As it would happen, the Rep is quite familar with our management, and has just as negative a view as my fellow employess do. Since theres no point in getting "Re-recognization", it'd be a waste of time. we'll have to start from scratch. They take my info down, and will send out the organizing packett ASAP. I have been deemed the official contact person.
This was Monday.

Wednesday night, i recive the package via US air. It has everything, pamphlets, newsletter, Q & A factsheets, and most importantly, the powerful UNION CARDS.
These small gems are a postcard really. i need 51% of the road crew to fill them out stating that want representaion. I assured the Rep that this wouldnt be a problem.

This morning, i passed out my first couple, i tried not to be some noticable. I am well aware that i am protected under federal law for my right to organize. But see, management, they are idiots.
It goes well, and by the time all our trucks return from thier routes, i have collected eight so far, but have good to go's from ten more, they'll give me thier cards tommorrow.

There 52 people on the road crew, so i need 28. My goal is 40.

the only problem i see is the brass, they no doubt dont want a union....i'm trying to get this stage done, as this is where i'm most at risk.

JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jeff is starting trouble!

This has the makings of a great dynasty, I can't wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Sounds like you need some hired goons.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If Jeff disappears, FOFC gets a head start on the conspiracies!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
Desnudo
Coordinator

If Detroit wide receivers trip over an unusual bump in the end zone at Ford Field, we'll know what happened.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
If Detroit wide receivers trip over an unusual bump in the end zone at Ford Field, we'll know what happened.

Sadly, as a Lion fan, I wouldn't say it'd be unusual.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Sadly, as a Lion fan, I wouldn't say it'd be unusual.

Sadly, This Lion fan also feels your pain.

How about the bumps that seem to happen on our Receivers hands when the ball nears them....
Old 03-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
Sadly, This Lion fan also feels your pain.

How about the bumps that seem to happen on our Receivers hands when the ball nears them....

Indeed. Though I've noticed that epidemic diminished quite a bit without Bill Schroder. Thankfully, Az Hakim and Stephen Alexander made it a point to try and make up for him.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

What a step. No doubt that management will find out about it before the week is up. I would suggest getting it all together as fast as possible, lest some of your more troublesome employees find themselves fired.

I am a union member, and have been in management. I have seen both sides, the good and bad of unions, and the good and bad of management. I am a Republican, and yet unions have their place. Management, as long as they have good info in their personal files can pull the trigger on anyone that they have been just keeping around. It only takes a couple of writeups to get canned. Be prepared to toe the line. Look everyone in the eye, if you walk out, and guys start to cross, you have already lost. Make sure that they are as commited as you are or you will find your credibility and all bargining power gone.

Good Luck. No doubt that you will need it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

What made you decide to do this? In other words, what has management been doing that makes you feel this step is necessary?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #11
JeffNights
College Prospect

Today, as soon i enter the building, my fellow co-workers begin discreetly giving me thier cards, I am greatly encouraged by thier strong words of support. There has so far been only one dissenter, hes a suck-ass anyway, and a couple people have not so friendlyish told him to keep his fat trap shut. See, our routes are routes are at staggered times, so its hard to get cards out to everybody at once but i have handed out about 20, as the end of today, i have 17 back, filled out and signed.

I am able to get out about 15 more cards to my fellow workers who didnt get them yesterday, and they are all but assured of turning them in tommorow. Alot of us work Saturdays, and a great plus will be that the management never ever shows up on the weekends. I'll be able to move with more freedom. A lot of the older guys, that have been for years, hell decades, are naturally scared. They have seen managements wrath and want to keep thier names quiet. I assure them, if anyone takes the fall it will be me, i'll never disclose who gave cards if this thing comes up short.

A more accurrate count of the road crew reveals 58 members. The minimun needed jumps to 30, I still think this is no problem at all. The count gets higher after i call my international organizer and ask about the guys that do the night runs, he says they count too. It kinda helps actually, see, these guys already have full time jobs elsewhere and have no fear of signing union cards.

6:35 PM. I have done my Friday route, came back, checked in my pickups and head toward the timeclock. In my bag are 24 signed union cards, along with the blank cards I have been handing out..

In front of the punch clock, stands the bloated, red skinned figure of the General Manager.

"Hey Jeff, hows it going?"

"Just great sir, hoping to have a nice weekend."

"Thats outstanding....say, got anymore of those cards? Can i have one?"

He says this with a sneer and leer, and a shit eating grin all in one.
Fuck this I think, I am not a punk, stowing myself, i reply.

"Sorry Sir, there for workers only"

The grin is gone.

"Ok, fine, you guys want to get a union in here, be my guest, It didnt work twice before, i doubt it will work now."

He looks at me like its my turn to talk. I have no intention of talking anymore to Jabba the Hut's little brother. I dont have to discuss any details of organizing with him.

"Ok, thanks."

He gives me a look like hes surprised that i havent cried out and beg for mercy.
he gets serious for a second.

"you dont have to go worrying about your job eithier, you are within your rights to organize, hell its a federal law."

Again, he says this as if he wrote the bill on Congress or something. I just want to punch my clock and go home.

"Thanks, sir, you have a nice nite."

"you do the same, see ya Monday"

With that, the days drama ends.

Its also given me some insight to the companys strategy.
They must figure that I will no doubt have the 51% to trigger the union ballot on site.
This is the ballot that must get 65% for the National Labor Relations Board to demand good faith negtiations with the local.
They will obviously use many scare tactics to incite people to vote "no" when that time comes.

Their scheme worked before...But Jeff wasnt working here before. I seem to have fired guys up...in the lounge and the garage i have taken to calling out, "UP WITH US, DOWN WITH THEM!!!!"
Which is met with cheers and a few "Hell yeah!!"
Tommorow is saturday, I hope to meet my goal of 30 cards in the morning, and send them all out in the mail along with the official forms i had to fill out as the Contact employee.
See ya soon.

"UP WITH US, DOWN WITH THEM!!!!"