Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Favre coming back for 05

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2009750

Quote:
Brett Favre is returning to the Green Bay Packers for the 2005 season.

Coach Mike Sherman told The Associated Press on Thursday that he had a two-hour conversation with his quarterback on Wednesday night. Favre informed him his wife is doing well in her cancer treatment, so he's planning to play at least one more season, maybe more if his own health holds up.

"It came down to his wife and she's doing well in her recovery," Sherman said. "She wants him to play. He said he's looking forward to playing -- hopefully without any off-the-field situations and 'enjoying the journey."

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thank God. Football wouldn't be the same without him. I respect him more than any other pro athelete ( maybe with the exception of Lance Armstrong )
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Man, Favre is just desparate for attention -- he was ALWAYS coming back. I feel bad for the family problems he's had, but he and everyone else knew he was going to be back next year.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I hope he plays very poorly against the Lions next year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

I bet Favre plays at least 5 more years, unless either he has a serious injury, or an awful season.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good news for me. Bad news for the Bears.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

Sweet, really glad to hear this.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Christ, another season of the media constantly wondering if this is the final year. Which has been happening for what, five years now or so?

I like Brett Favre a lot, and I hope he plays until he isn't able...but this constant retirement speculation is asinine. If I were him I'd put out a statement that until my production tanks, the media should consider me a permanent part of the NFL.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Arles
Grey Dog Software

To be fair to both Favre and the media, there was a legit chance he would retire this offseason. The overriding factor was his wife's health (and that's why he waited). Last week they got some very good news on his wife's cancer treatments and she looks to be recovering well. That's what made him come out and say he'll play. My guess is now he will play another 2-3 seasons. But, if his wife wasn't recovering well enough, I could have seen him hang it up this offseason.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Im glad he is coming back just because he is fun to watch. Always seems to kick my Lions asses though.

When he is gone I will NOT miss the stories about how he recovered from his addictions, bla bla bla. Nice story and all but not EVERY game.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This was never in doubt. The guy has said he would never leave his team in a bad position, and not announcing until all of the FA QBs are signed would certainly be just that. He was always coming back. When he's done, he'll either announce it toward the end of a season, or immediately after. Or at least, the rumor will be out there and the team will act accordingly, even if he hasn't made it public. It will be obvious.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Nice to know that John Madden can masturbate all over him from the booth for at least one more season.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote