Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Buying Football Manager....Did I wait too long?

I've finally done enough yard work and laundry for my wife to allow me to purchase another damn game to help me avoid sharing quality time with her, and now I can't find the World Wide Soccer Manager. That was what it was distributed in the US as wasn't it?

In any case, I guess I will have to buy Football Manager 2005(import) for about 10-15 more dollars. Is there any other difference between the two titles, I mean other than the titles? I'd kinda like to take a crack at some of the American teams, and I'm wondering if they are in both versions.

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They are in both games. The title and some terms (pitch versus field for example) are the only difference. All of the teams are in both versions, and they are essentially the same game.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-08-2005 at 01:53 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
They are in both games. The title and some terms (pitch versus field for example) are the only difference. All of the teams are in both versions, and they are essentially the same game.
Cool. I'll pay the extra cash to have my side take to the pitch any day.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 03-08-2005 at 01:55 AM. Reason: c/team/side/
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gamestop sells the game in the US. Might be worth your while to do a zip code search at their site and see if any of the stores close to you have WWSM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:21 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If possible please purchase the US version, reason being simply that the more that sell through the more likely the game is to get better promotion (and hopefully higher sales) next time around ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:29 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
If possible please purchase the US version, reason being simply that the more that sell through the more likely the game is to get better promotion (and hopefully higher sales) next time around ...

That's a good point Marc. I was still trying to decide if I should pick up this release or wait for the next one to come around. I assume that we are still at least a year away from the next release, since I haven't heard anything about it at all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
Huckleberry
College Starter

gamestop.com sells WWSM online, don't they?

I hope so, because that's my plan.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
Huckleberry
College Starter

dola -

I went to gamestop.com to verify and ended up ordering it just a few minutes ago. I really hope more people do this. I searched for in-store availability and the closest store that had it was over 100 miles away.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
gamestop.com sells WWSM online, don't they?

I hope so, because that's my plan.

Yes they do, or you can do a search to find any stores near you that might be carrying it. I actually had it in my hand and was walking to checkout, when I decided that CM4 might just have to work 'cause I really didn't have 40 to spend. sigh.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Do a search in the Forum. ISiddiqui mentioned a GameStop code that gives you free shipping.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:

That being said, could you please not "dumb down" the language in the next version? I own the US version btw.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapBone
That being said, could you please not "dumb down" the language in the next version? I own the US version btw.

Better, could you like make sure that the only store chain that chooses to carry your game has it in their store databases and they don't tel you the game has been cancelled when you preorder.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #13
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

i'm going to pick it up Marc. since i don't play online soccer games i wouldn't have a prob playing WSSM solo. it doesn't feel the same playing OOTP/FOF solo careers once you participate in MP leagues. so i don't ever play those 2 outside of MP. i'd like to have something to play solo, after i've done all my MP chores. i think i'd prefer the American terminology much better anyway.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapBone

Or, if they think there's a need for a "US English" translation in the game, just let the customer choose between US and say "UK English" or whatever you want to call it.

I thought this was possible. Marc, can you confirm if WWSM has this option, I know my buddy daedalus was hoping so...

FM
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #15
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Oh....I will be picking up my Copy in two days from my local gamestop
Old 03-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
Oh....I will be picking up my Copy in two days from my local gamestop

welcome to the dark side, where time stops and nothing else matters

FM
Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Since seeing this post, I'm trying. I'm not having much luck finding it instore anywhere. I'll call a few more places. I'm telling you now that if I find it within a 50 mile radius I'll make the drive just because you are a prince among Game Developers, and I really appreciate the exceptional quality of the product.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #18
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Or, if they think there's a need for a "US English" translation in the game, just let the customer choose between US and say "UK English" or whatever you want to call it.

I thought this was possible. Marc, can you confirm if WWSM has this option, I know my buddy daedalus was hoping so...

FM
Bump/What Frogger said (I heart you, Frogger!).

If I can't switch back to UK English, I'd rather have FM than WWSM. It sounds trivial and minor but it would certainly bug me, given the amount of time I intend to spend with the game (point of reference: I'm still toiling away at my CM01/02 game, the save game file is now ~730 megabytes . . . the only time I really stop playing is when the retarded formation-solved-every-goalkeeper-will-get-8-or-above "feature" sufficiently pisses me off).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:58 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27

The terms are exactly the same in both games. Look in your language options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Do a search in the Forum. ISiddiqui mentioned a GameStop code that gives you free shipping.

Yeah, FREESHIPALL for free value shipping (5-10 days, I got it on the 5th myself).
Old 03-09-2005, 01:00 AM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan

FM

That option is in the game. I have WWSM and I am refered to as a "Manager" and not as a "Head Coach" (though if I switch to 'English(US)', I would be a "Head Coach")