Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Attack of the Killer Chimps!

Holy f*cking sh*t! These savage chimps severed the man's nose, foot, and testicles! Moe was not have been happy and has powerful friends...

hxxp://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/04/chimp.attack.ap/index.html
Chimps critically injure sanctuary visitor

BAKERSFIELD, California (AP) -- A couple's plans for a birthday party for their former pet chimpanzee turned tragic when two other chimps at an animal sanctuary escaped from their cage and attacked. The man was critically injured with massive wounds to his face, body and limbs, and the attacking animals were shot dead.

St. James and LaDonna Davis were at the Animal Haven Ranch in Caliente to celebrate the birthday of Moe, a 39-year-old chimpanzee who was taken from their suburban Los Angeles home in 1999 after biting off part of a woman's finger.

Moe was not involved in Thursday's attack, said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game.

The couple had brought Moe a cake and were standing outside his cage when Buddy and Ollie, two of four chimpanzees in the adjoining cage, attacked St. James Davis, Martarano said. Officials have not determined how the chimps got out of their enclosure, he said.

LaDonna Davis, 64, suffered a bite wound to the hand while trying to help her 62-year-old husband, Martarano said.

The son-in-law of the sanctuary's owner killed the attacking animals, Martarano said.

"He saw what was happening and had one kind of weapon with him and then got another he felt would be more substantial and shot them," Martarano said. "He pretty much saved a life."

St. James Davis had severe facial injuries and would require extensive surgery in an attempt to reattach his nose, Dr. Maureen Martin of Kern Medical Center told KGET-TV of Bakersfield. His testicles and a foot also were severed, Kern County Sheriff's Cmdr. Hal Chealander told The Bakersfield Californian.

Davis was transported to Loma Linda University Medical Center, where he was undergoing surgery late Thursday, Martarano said.

Buddy, a 16-year-old male chimp, initiated the attack and after he was shot, Ollie, a 13-year-old male, grabbed the gravely injured man and dragged him down the road, authorities said.

"Everybody was trying to get the chimp off," Chealander said.

Two other chimps, females named Susie and Bones, also escaped from the cage they shared with Ollie and Buddy, prompting sheriff's deputies, animal control workers, and Fish and Game officials to launch a search.

The wayward pair were recovered by Animal Haven owner Virginia Brauer after five hours. Martarano said one chimp was two miles from the sanctuary, located 25 miles southeast of Bakersfield.

The Davises had waged an unsuccessful legal fight to bring Moe back to their West Covina home and visited him regularly at the sanctuary where he had been living since October. They brought the chimp from Africa decades ago after a poacher killed his mother.

Animal Haven Ranch has held state permits to shelter animals since 1985 and serves as a sanctuary for animals that have been confiscated or discovered lost, Martarano said.

It is allowed to house up to nine primates at one time and is home to one spider monkey and six chimpanzees, he said. The permits are held by Virginia and Ralph Brauer, whom neighbors described as responsible animal lovers.

"She's devoted her whole life to taking care of these chimpanzees," said Jeanne Miller, a family friend.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Goddamn teenage chimp thugs!

In all seriousness, I hope the man gets well soon. That had to have been a scary scene...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 03-04-2005 at 10:20 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Goddamn teenage chimp thugs!

In all seriousness, I hope the man gets well soon. That had to have been a scary scene...

Agreed. Must have been terrifying. That scene in "The Omen" when they go through the baboon sanctuary and the baboons start attacking the car always scared the hell out of me as a kid.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Huckleberry
College Starter

Glad to see that they're only planning on reattaching the nose. Guy has a 64 year old wife. He doesn't need the testes any more.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
maximus
Banned

First off, it should be against the law to even have chimps. They are to be in the wild - not someones pets.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
thealmighty
Pro Starter

"Get your teeth off my nuts, you damned dirty ape."

Yes, that may have been in poor taste, and I hope the man recovers fully, but I couldn't help myself. Apologies where neeed to all politically correct persons who do not feel that news such as this should be poked fun at.

More apologies to any who are beside themselves with rage that I ended a sentence with a preposition.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

St. James is his first name? And how exactly do chimps remove a person's nose?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
A couple's plans for a birthday party for their former pet chimpanzee...

The couple had brought Moe a cake

Uh, right.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
St. James is his first name? And how exactly do chimps remove a person's nose?

I do it all the time with my 3-year-old. It's all in the thumb.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #10
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
"Everybody was trying to get the chimp off," Chealander said.

Okay, this might have had something to do with the attack.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Okay, this might have had something to do with the attack.

Heh!! Classic!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Am I sick for secretly enjoying it when this happens to bleeting heart animal lovers?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Am I sick for secretly enjoying it when this happens to bleeting heart animal lovers?

Yes.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #14
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
First off, it should be against the law to even have chimps. They are to be in the wild - not someones pets.

Agreed.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Severed his foot? Jesus. Wow. I'm speechless.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
And how exactly do chimps remove a person's nose?

Can you imagine that thing coming right for your face? And your nuts?

*shudders*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 03-04-2005 at 10:18 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #17
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Seriously toothbrush....