Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Ping - Pats Fans

Two things:

First, check out this website. Some guy devotes his life to tracking the Pats cap situation. It's incredibly up to date, and very informative. Visit his site and make him feel good.

http://www.patscap.com/

Second, what do you all think of the trade for Starks. Here's my thought from another thread:

Out with Law, in with Starks. It seems they opted to give up a draft pick instead of spending crazy dollars on a CB in free agency. See what Henry got from the Cowboys!

I think they also are getting him to restructure his contract. I believe he had 2 years left at 3.6 mill a year. If that number comes down from there even more, I say that is not a bad cap number for the next couple of years for a solid CB, which is all they need in Foxboro (although the 3rd rounder would have been nice to get a solid LB prospect in the draft). I am wondering if Tyrone Poole is going to be gone now. I think so.

Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm sad they let Troy Brown go. Hopefully it's just a prelude to re-signing him for a better cap number.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On Starks: Looks like they went after a veteran to help groom the young guys, and who if he stays healthy can contribute himself. And besides, after they made the Corey Dillon thing work, I still say "In Bill We Trust".

On Brown: They tried to renegotiate him to a lower number, but never hit an agreement. I, too, would like to see him back, but at a number that satisfies both parties. Brown seems to bring a lot more to the team than just his skills on the field.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
KevinNU7
College Starter

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ixed_emotions/
Old 03-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

On Brown you can't pay a punt returner 5 million a year. Great guy but with diminishing skills. Maybe they'll sign him back...it would be a nice story.

I can't see him getting signed for much elsewhere as he has value really only to the Pats.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
On Brown you can't pay a punt returner 5 million a year. Great guy but with diminishing skills. Maybe they'll sign him back...it would be a nice story.

I can't see him getting signed for much elsewhere as he has value really only to the Pats.

Agreed completely. I'm just saying that he's also worth more than the veteran minimum, if only as a mentor and locker-room presence. Maybe a $1mil player.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Might they also consider bringing him back as a coach? It would be an abrupt end to his playing career, but I think he'd do well as a coach.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Agreed completely. I'm just saying that he's also worth more than the veteran minimum, if only as a mentor and locker-room presence. Maybe a $1mil player.

If they end up with a million to spare he'll be back.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

He also had 3 INTs. He's not worth $5 million, but definitely worth resigning in some capacity. Luckily he might be one of those guys that no other team really wants.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
He also had 3 INTs. He's not worth $5 million, but definitely worth resigning in some capacity. Luckily he might be one of those guys that no other team really wants.

He also stated, in no uncertain terms, that he didn't want to do defense anymore. I'm not blaming him, but they shouldn't base their decision on resigning or not resigning him on what he did on defense this season...

It's been a rough offseason for me so far, I know/believe they will overcome all this, but we've lost players I liked: Ty Law, Roman Phifer, Troy Brown, Joe Andruzzi. And let's not forget Tedy Bruschi... I know Phifer wasn't doing as much this season, compared to when they won the SB the first time around, but he was now a household name...

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #11
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Well, they just lost Patten. He signed with the Redskins. Can people stop leaving now? Thanks. If Brown doesn't come back, we are thin at WR, which is troubling because over recent years with injuries, we've needed to have 5 good wideouts. Now we got Givens (if he isn't signed away), Branch, Bethel Johnson, and PK Sam; and that's it.

I agree, it kinda sucks we are losing all my favorite good ol' Pats players. The price of success, I guess.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:22 AM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

Is Givens a FA?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:36 AM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Giants just released Ike Hilliard. wonder how cheap he'd be...
Old 03-04-2005, 12:37 AM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Is Givens a FA?

RFA
Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
RFA

and he's been given the second level tender offer, meaning if anybody offers him a contract and the Pats decide not to match, they would get a first round pick.

When given a first level tender, the compensation would have been getting a pick of the same round the player was picked in. If I remember correctly, Givens was a 7th rounder...

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

They don't really need Brown or Patten that much anyway. If Givens or Branch go down they'd be in trouble either way.

In spite of 3 INTs, Brown was only an emergency nickel guy. He's not that good a db. They got by but the plan is not Troy playing the slot guys. As a receiver he's a good third down guy but that's it.

Great guy but long in the tooth.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Now we got Givens (if he isn't signed away), Branch, Bethel Johnson, and PK Sam

Let's be honest, though, Brady's main targets were Givens and Branch, with Patten and Johnson on occasion.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #18
Huckleberry
College Starter

As a Cowboys fan I just feel so sorry for you guys losing so many of the players from your great team. I'm crying over here.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #19
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I hope PK Sams gets an opportunity and steps up. I felt really bad for him last year - he's one those underclassmen who totally got hosed by his agent telling him he'd be a 2nd-rounder or sure-fire 1st day pick, then he got taken in the 7th round, I think. His mother just happened to be temping in our offices during the draft last year, and I felt really, really bad for her. We could have used him last year, and he could have used the extra year of college.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 AM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I read that they were going after Derrick Mason pretty hard, apparently their offer was even better than Baltimore's at some point, so I'm sure they are cooking something up...

For now, in Bill I trust...

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 09:59 AM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I hope PK Sams gets an opportunity and steps up. I felt really bad for him last year - he's one those underclassmen who totally got hosed by his agent telling him he'd be a 2nd-rounder or sure-fire 1st day pick, then he got taken in the 7th round, I think. His mother just happened to be temping in our offices during the draft last year, and I felt really, really bad for her. We could have used him last year, and he could have used the extra year of college.

He's the only guy I can remember that has ever been suspended by a team while on the injured list.

He got lit up by Belichick prior to the Superbowl for some kind of lateness/team policy violation and he suspended him for the Superbowl weeks.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #22
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
He's the only guy I can remember that has ever been suspended by a team while on the injured list.

He got lit up by Belichick prior to the Superbowl for some kind of lateness/team policy violation and he suspended him for the Superbowl weeks.

Wow. I did not know that. Dumbass.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #23
Galaril
Pro Starter

I would love for the Pats to get mason .I am Titans fan from Boston...don't ask how and would hate to see Mason in a Ravens uniform.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #24
Galaril
Pro Starter

Well......Shit the Ravens have apparently agreed in principle with Mason bummer.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #25
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Well......Shit the Ravens have apparently agreed in principle with Mason bummer.

yeah, last time I read about it, they had signed him to a 5 year contract...

FM
Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #26
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Hmmm, all quiet on the Pats front. I think waiting for the initial rush will bring in some solid vets and good prices!

I am hoping all the money dries up and Ty Law makes it back.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:33 AM   #27
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Random thoughts . . . Still all quiet. Not too much fun. Bruschi's silence is a little bit worrying.

I think we should sign Ed Hartwell, regardless of whether Bruschi is coming back.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:18 AM   #28
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ed Hartwell would be nice, but he might be a bit out of our preferred price range. (Before you point out Roosevelt Colvin as a comparison, well, look how that turned out.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #29
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Colvin will come around. Yeah, I know it's unlikely, but I keep thinking we're going to hear Brady renegotiated and Hartwell signed in the same press release. We can always hope.