Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Should the 49ers pull a Vikings?

I've been hearing and reading about the lack of talent in this years draft and how nobody wants to pay the money for a marginal top draft pick. If nobody materializes as a consensus number 1 draft pick, should the 49ers use all their time without picking and slide down a couple of spots saving themselves the money? Can't you see York coming up with some plan like that to save a few bucks?

Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think so - and I wouldnt disagree. What a shitty year to have the no 1 pick.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That would be insane. Trade down if you want, but don't just give up that slot with that tactic. The player will still argue that they should be paid like they were in the higher slot and you might miss out on your guy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

with the utter and complete lack of any real talent on that team, the niners could be perfectly happy with ANY player. They aren't going to miss "their guy" because right now, EVERY guy, is their guy.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I don't think anybody wants to trade up though. You're stuck with that pick, as of right now the "experts" are claiming there really isn't any difference among the top 20.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

The Niners have to trade the pick. Even if the best offer is to pick up an extra 2nd rounder to drop down something like 15 spots in the first round, it would be worth it for the extra pick, better value at that spot, and a major difference in signing bonuses.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'd still rather have #1 than #20. People are talking like no superstars at all will come out of this draft. I'm sure with some decent scouting, the 49ers can at least come up with the next Ryan Leaf.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
with the utter and complete lack of any real talent on that team, the niners could be perfectly happy with ANY player. They aren't going to miss "their guy" because right now, EVERY guy, is their guy.

Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, Jeff Ulbricht, Ahmed Plummer, Fred Beasley, Derek Smith, Jaime Winborn, Jeremy Newberry and Eric Johnson are all very good players. This team isn't THAT bad.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I'd still rather have #1 than #20. People are talking like no superstars at all will come out of this draft. I'm sure with some decent scouting, the 49ers can at least come up with the next Ryan Leaf.
I don't know about that. If the #1 overall isn't as good as Eli Manning (no Shroty jokes please) or the #2 isn't as good as Robert Gallery, why pay the money for the #1 overall when you aren't getting the talent? That doesn't make any sense.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
totoro
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I don't know about that. If the #1 overall isn't as good as Eli Manning (no Shroty jokes please) or the #2 isn't as good as Robert Gallery, why pay the money for the #1 overall when you aren't getting the talent? That doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I think so too. The issue is the MONEY. There might be one guy in this draft class that you think should go #1, but that doesn't mean he deserves the #1 money.

BTW, that'll ensure 49ers won't be able to trade down easily.

Last edited by totoro : 02-25-2005 at 06:23 PM.
totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
The Niners have to trade the pick. Even if the best offer is to pick up an extra 2nd rounder to drop down something like 15 spots in the first round, it would be worth it for the extra pick, better value at that spot, and a major difference in signing bonuses.

But what if you can't even get that value? I know that if I were a team I would not give up a 2nd rounder to move up in this draft
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

One thing I don't understand is, why people are saying this draft has no talent. How are you supposed to know this? The draft has always been a crapshoot, there are great players in every draft, the Niners just need to make sure that they use the first pick wisely. Meaning DONT DRAFT A QB! Draft Defense, defense, defense. Is there a defensive player worthy of the #1 pick? With so many holes theres gotta be someone that can help the team. CB Antrel Rolle possibly, since Barlow sucks they could get Benson or cadillac or Pac-Man Jones. However, I doubt that they will use it smartly, Aaron Rodgers here we come
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OK, what if they did that... and then the Dolphins refused to pick... and then everyone refused to pick? Just an hour of Taglibue standing at the podium, looking confused, with a clock continually ticking down to zero over and over while all the prospects look around nervously?

I would pay $1,000 to see that.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
...since Barlow sucks...
Code:
SeasonTeamGRushYdsY/GAvgTDRecYdsY/GAvgLngYAC1stDTDFumFumL
2001San Francisco1512551234.14.142224716.511.26111.410110
2002San Francisco1414567548.24.74141369.79.7299.27121
2003San Francisco16201102464.05.163530719.28.8488.714154
2004San Francisco1524482254.83.473521214.16.1156.611022

Barlow had an off-year. He fumbled the ball less than ever, with more carries than he's ever had. I really, really, really hope that the 49ers do not write him off because I think he can still be a great back.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 02-25-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:38 PM   #15
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
since Barlow sucks

Last year was completely meaningless as far as Barlow is concerned, considering how horrible that offensive line was.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #16
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Julian Peterson, Andre Carter, Jeff Ulbricht, Ahmed Plummer, Fred Beasley, Derek Smith, Jaime Winborn, Jeremy Newberry and Eric Johnson are all very good players. This team isn't THAT bad.

That is complete homerism talking. Peterson is the onlly really good one out of that group. Well Beasly is pretty good too, but he certainly isn't enough.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #17
Vince
Pro Starter

Perhaps it's a bit of homerism...but the team isn't all that bad. Peterson is one of the best in the league at his position -- is that how we have to measure a player as good?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Peterson was one of the best in the league at his position -- before he blew out his achilles and became a huge question mark.
Fixed it for you.

(And I'm a 49ers fan...)
Old 02-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

...and Newberry was a Pro-bowler...and Winborn was a tackling machine when he was healthy...as was Carter...and Eric Johnson caught 82 balls last year...

No one is saying this team is a player or two away from contention. But they aren't as "in the doldrums" as people think. The amount of injuries to key players was amazing last season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 PM   #20
AlexB
Pro Starter

Much as I hate to say it, being far from a 49ers fan, but Johnson's a good player. Agree that the rest are average to good at best though (apart from Peterson who is a great player when he has 2 achilles)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #21
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
No one is saying this team is a player or two away from contention. But they aren't as "in the doldrums" as people think. The amount of injuries to key players was amazing last season.

They have a lot more talent than the one Bill Walsh took over in 1979.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #22
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They have a lot more talent than the one Bill Walsh took over in 1979.

Yea, but Walsh went on to draft Joe Montana, Ronnie lott, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Randy Cross, Harris barton, Jerry Rice, Brent jones, Michael Carter, Merton hanks, ...
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Yea, but Walsh went on to draft Joe Montana, Ronnie lott, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Randy Cross, Harris barton, Jerry Rice, Brent jones, Michael Carter, Merton hanks, ...

*CACKLES* he said .....LOLOL.......Mert.......mert.....MERTON HANKS?!?!?!?!?!?!

BWAHAhahahahahaaha
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:01 PM   #24
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk

And nobody knows yet what Mike Nolan is going do. Granted, the chances are much greater of him being Dick Nolan than Bill Walsh, but he's starting with more talent to work with.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #25
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Vikings should trade up to #1 and take Braylon Edwards

I think he's the real deal, and a #1 pick talent in this draft class for sure.

Plus, the Vikes need him
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:23 PM   #26
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

A couple different articles(one on CNNSI) said that Braylon Edwards was as impressive off the field as he was on it. "Guaranteed" top-5 and such things. Edwards apparently new everything about each team he was interviewing with, strengths, weaknesses, history, etc.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #27
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
OK, what if they did that... and then the Dolphins refused to pick... and then everyone refused to pick? Just an hour of Taglibue standing at the podium, looking confused, with a clock continually ticking down to zero over and over while all the prospects look around nervously?
Best draft ever.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Best draft ever.

It honestly would be amazing. But sooner or later someone would make a pick (i think).

It would be fun to watch though.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #29
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Where's Sid Niquist when you need him.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:57 AM   #30
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

A few thoughts :
1/ there are great players in every draft.

2/ drafting a WR with the #1 overall pick is -in my opinion- not worth it, no matter how Braylon Edwards "looks good". History says that drafting a WR in the top 5 doesn't mean anything and good to outstanding WR are available in later rounds. In recent drafts, highly touted Peter Warrick went #5, David Terrel #8, Keyshawn Johson #1 and none of them are "superstars". Keyshawn has had a career but looking back on that 1996 Draft, how fitting is that K.J went #1 overall while perennial All-Pro Terrell Owens was found in the 3rd round.

3/ I desperatly want the 49ers to go QB if they keep the #1 pick. (and I hope they do). That doesn't mean they are not making a mistake, that : history will tell us 3-4 years down the road, but like I said many time, it all starts with the QB. If you don't have a franchise QB then you have no team and no hopes. I believe Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith both could be those franchise-type quarterbacks. There again, history says one will go on to a great career while the other will flop (Bledsoe/Mirer in '93 - McNair/Shuler in '94 - Manning/Leaf in '98 - McNabb/Couch & Smith in '99 - again in '99 but later in the 1st round Culpepper/McNown etc...).

- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #31
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I think Aaron Rodger is the second cousin once removed from Brock Sherriff.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #32
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

so let him join the 49ers !! ;-)
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote