Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

So Fiedler's finally gone

I feel sorry for the guy tbh: missed a few games through injury, and he was no Dan Marino, but over 59 starts won 36 games: works out to a record of between 9-7 and 10-6 a season... That's pretty good, and he only had a rushing game for 2 years, and only has ever really had one WR (Chambers) and one TE (McMichael) to throw to.

I know I'm in a minority of Dolphin's fans, but I liked the guy: might not be the poster-boy/warrior traditionally seen as a team's leader, but he carried himself well, took all the criticism very professionally, and won football games. And isn't winning football matches what it's all about?

For me he had four problems:

Following Marino
Slightly injury prone
Not having a good enough offense around him to make any post-season impression if we got there
Not showing an improved record in the two Ricky seasons

It seems it's this latter one was the penultimate straw: the final one was being behind a truly horrible offensive line, having truly horrible RBs not giving any rush offense, and not being able to get the ball off to Chambers / Booker / McMichael in the milliseconds he was given before the pocket collapsed at the 'B' of the crowd's boos.

For what it's worth, good luck Jay - I hope you rebound and find yourself a home at another team where you'll be appreciated.

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts

For me he had four problems:

Following Marino
Slightly injury prone
Not having a good enough offense around him to make any post-season impression if we got there
Not showing an improved record in the two Ricky seasons

I will add a fifth problem:

Not being a very good quarterback
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
AlexB
Pro Starter

10-6 / 9-7, IIRC that was in the top 5 winning percentages over the same 5 year period, with next to no offensive support. He must have been doing something right somewhere down the line...
Old 02-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with the 5th problem.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

whats his record if the dolphins didnt have a monster D during those years?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
10-6 / 9-7, IIRC that was in the top 5 winning percentages over the same 5 year period, with next to no offensive support. He must have been doing something right somewhere down the line...

Having a fantastic defense most of the time didn't hurt.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
AlexB
Pro Starter

can't argue against that, I'm not saying he's a HoF QB, but he is a decent one, and he was unfairly pilloried for not being Dan Marino.

I will also accept that other than Cleveland, and possibly Arizona or Detroit if they have given up on Harrington, I'm not sure who else would be interested in him as a starter.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
can't argue against that, I'm not saying he's a HoF QB, but he is a decent one, and he was unfairly pilloried for not being Dan Marino.

I will also accept that other than Cleveland, and possibly Arizona or Detroit if they have given up on Harrington, I'm not sure who else would be interested in him as a starter.

Detroit is certainly in the market for a #2/#1 QB. Harrington will be on a VERY short leash next year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Jay Fiedler's Postseason record is horrendous (this even includes some bloated stats in mop up duty with Jax):

53.6% comp, 655 yards, 3 TD, 8 INT

Even in the game he won, he threw 3 INT's. Jay's overall record is as meaningless as a pitcher who goes 20-5 with a 5.75 ERA.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 AM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Wait a minute... You guys are talking about his defense? I thought QBs won and lost on their own abilities, or is that just regarding Super Bowls?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So, which team would possibly concider to sign Fiedler now and in what role? #2 QB on a team with a promising but green, young quarterback at #1 or #3?

Somehow, I see an upcoming ending to his NFL career, due the perception of him being a bad quarterback. Of course, in a league of 32 teams, it takes only one team to give somebody another shot. Even Akili Smith and Eric Crouch are having a comeback effort in NFL Europe.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:41 AM   #12
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I think Fiedler has the brain for the job, but doesn't have the physical gift. He has been made the whipping boy in Miami, but I don't think he was the problem at all.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 AM   #13
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Fiedler is a classic backup QB. He can win games, but you wouldn't want to count on him every week.

By the way...one of those years not only did he have a great defense, I believe the Dolfins led the league in rushing.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #14
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Fiedler has been my favorite Dolphin for the past few years. I will miss him.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 AM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I always liked Fiedler. Struck me as the anti-Aaron Brooks: not many physical talents, but a hard worker who played a very smart, controlled football game.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:36 AM   #16
Rizon
Pro Starter

I hated Jay Fiedler. I thought the Dolphins put too much stock in him just because he threw 3 good passes against a demoralized team after the game was meaningless.

I hated him mainly because of his horrible reads. He'd force too many passes into double coverage or wads of defenders. Not to mention balls that went sailing into extremely odd places on the field (ie: nowhere near a receiver).

Glad to see him gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 02-24-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:48 AM   #17
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

A double bonus for the Fins. They let go of Fiedler and according to the Miami Herald the Jets are interested in him.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...0976388.htm?1c

Quote:
The New York Jets, New England and Philadelphia are teams that could be in the market for backup quarterbacks. The Jets might need someone to play more extensively because the shoulder surgery to starter Chad Pennington earlier this month was more serious than first expected.

Pennington could miss time early in the season and Fiedler, who is a Long Island native, could play in what is essentially his backyard.

''That would interest him, but he's going to scrutinize the market for the best situation to play in,'' Levy said