Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
ping: kurtism - Kornheiser is back

but you can't hear him...

Acclaimed Sports Journalist Tony Kornheiser Debuts on XM

XM will be broadcasting the new daily radio program hosted by Tony Kornheiser, the Washington Post columnist and co-host of the highly rated ESPN program Pardon the Interruption. Kornheiser's new show will begin airing in February 2005. XM is the only national broadcaster to offer Kornheiser's radio program.

"Between my work in print, radio and television, radio is by far the most fun - the one where you can be yourself most often. I'm so happy to be back on the radio again and I'm thrilled to be joining XM Satellite Radio," said Tony Kornheiser.

Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think his local show can also be heard via the web. I think.

hxxp://www.sportstalk980.com/main.html
Old 02-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Hammer755
High School Varsity

TK's radio show was easily my favorite talk show of all-time. I couldn't listen his last couple of years because the local ESPN Radio station gave Mark Freakin Vandermeer the timeslot instead of Kornheiser's national show.

A new station opened the first of this year that carries almost all of ESPN's programming. Unfortunately Colin Cowherd sucks. No XM & no streaming allowed at work - so I now have ESPN, but not Tony.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Cowherd does stink.

I ended up with XM because the Norfolk affiliate would bump Dan Patrick and the drive show (now the sports bash) for the local idiot.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I like Cowherd, for some reason. I only get about 30 minutes of him 2 or 3 times a week (depending on how often I have to run errands during lunch), but I kinda like him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
C-Bailey
n00b

I live here in the DC area so TK has been "back" on the radio for me for about 3 months now. Never miss a day.
C-Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I think his local show can also be heard via the web. I think.

hxxp://www.sportstalk980.com/main.html

It can. Just signed up, thanks for the link!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
kurtism
High School Varsity

Mistah Tony! Just signed up for the 980 service, will have to make do until I get XM service.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
Cowherd does stink.

I ended up with XM because the Norfolk affiliate would bump Dan Patrick and the drive show (now the sports bash) for the local idiot.

I could spend a whole thread talking about how bad the local idiot is..

Although Patrick now goes until 4:00, so that's a pretty big statement by the local station...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

np. Oddly, I've never signed up myself.

I can't stand Cowherd just from the commercials, so I never tune in. He reminds me a little too much of Rome, and I can't stand him either.

I'm not the biggest Dan Patrick fan anymore either. He seems to take himself too seriously. Gives himself way too many dramatic pauses. Like he's pondering theories on how to solve world poverty or something.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #11
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Buh bye Cowherd, Hello Mr. Tony!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just went and bought the XM portable, MyFi because of this thread.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

This is the Jackass, Tony Mercurio, that got me to buy into XM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fritz -- I thought sure I was gonna look it up & tell you how the local guy was the highest rated thing on the station, since that's what happens in nearly every market I'm familiar with ... but it ain't so up there.

Not only that, but it's not even close, every other show on the station has been beating him at least 2-to-1 for the past year. (Not sure when Cowherd took over that timeslot, but it's their highest rated time period over the past year)

I didn't do a whole lot of radio up there for this spring, so I hadn't dug too deep in the numbers there, and didn't realize just how seriously tanked the station was in the past few months , they fell completely out of the Fall 2004 ratings, didn't even make the book at all. Pretty damned dramatic stuff for a station that had been perking along quietly but consistently for the past couple of years.

See, now ya'll know why I look at some of this stuff when radio topics come up --
I usually learn something I didn't know (or at least have a clearer understanding of stuff I already knew), it's a different way of looking at the numbers I stare at for months on end.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

thans, jimg!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Fritz: Now i'm going to have nightmares about Castaldi's (or however you spell it) Meatballs attacking me..

jimg: interesting, but not surprising... He is bad and gotten worse.. whatever 'local appeal' he has is finally dying because he's so bad.. I think he's been on the station like 13 years and is also a PM or something... I was suprised when Dan Patrick's show got the full billing, but this must explain it.. I can only hope it is the first step in booting his ass altogether...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Fritz: Now i'm going to have nightmares about Castaldi's (or however you spell it) Meatballs attacking me..

Have you been to Castaldi's? MMMMM MMMM
Old 02-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If he is the PD (or some part of mgmt), and they flatline another rating book or two, I'd say it's almost a sure thing that he'll be among several people looking for work.

Right now (and this has really been the case with them all along, as far as I could tell), their revenues are mostly associated with being partnered up with their sister station.
But if they zero out completely, that becomes a more difficult matter.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #19
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
If he is the PD (or some part of mgmt), and they flatline another rating book or two, I'd say it's almost a sure thing that he'll be among several people looking for work.

Right now (and this has really been the case with them all along, as far as I could tell), their revenues are mostly associated with being partnered up with their sister station.
But if they zero out completely, that becomes a more difficult matter.

Their sister station, the FM country outlet, or other AM stations?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Their sister FM, which provides good Adult numbers, but skews female. They'll use something like the AM to balance that out & package them together.

They (Barnstable) can also do similar things with Oldies WFOG & Rock WXMM to get a combo that doesn't skew too far in either age direction.

Oddly enough though, with the #1 country & the #1 or #2 (depends on the demo) rock stations, their highest rated P12+ station overall is black gospel WXEZ-FM. It isn't their biggest money maker, but it is their most listened to station.

Since we're on the subject, Norfolk is one of the funkier markets to try to buy media in that I've dealt with. The outdoor advertising is the worst I've ever seen, limited by both low-quality locations & by the somewhat unusual geography of the area (the demographics of adjacent neighborhoods are more inconsistent than most places).
Their radio is known for being a bit strange, largely because of the seemingly endless swirl of format changes. And the television is a really weird bird, one of the few markets I've ever seen where there are actually more men watching cable TV on Saturday morning than during primetime Mon-Fri. It's just a really weird market in terms of media patterns & stuff, something that is generally attributed to the high number of military personnel in the area, which in turn leads to a higher than average concentration of people who are transplants (meaning they don't have any "heritage" stations to be loyal to, etc).
Old 02-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #21
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

This is the kind of thing that might get me to bite the XM bullet.

Kornheiser's radio show used to be the highlight of my mornings.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #22
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
This is the kind of thing that might get me to bite the XM bullet.

Kornheiser's radio show used to be the highlight of my mornings.

I used to love listening to Tony, but he is not worth $12 a month.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:53 AM   #23
spleen1015
Coordinator

There's a lot more to XM these days. They're going to have MLB games this year. They have 14 channels ready for it, so they must be doing a lot of the games.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
... Since we're on the subject, Norfolk is one of the funkier markets to try to buy media in that I've dealt with. ... It's just a really weird market in terms of media patterns & stuff, something that is generally attributed to the high number of military personnel in the area, which in turn leads to a higher than average concentration of people who are transplants (meaning they don't have any "heritage" stations to be loyal to, etc).

This explanation generally makes sense to me... There are very few 'native' hampton roads folks around here...

but if this were true, wouldn't you see it other areas such as DC also?

Quote:
Old 02-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #25
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
This explanation generally makes sense to me... There are very few 'native' hampton roads folks around here...

do people just move to DC for 4 years, or do they relocate to DC for a long time?

We down here a few miles (moreso than you in that retirement community you call a city) see a tremendous turnover in population pretty much constantly. Even places like Poquoson are getting it now.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
do people just move to DC for 4 years, or do they relocate to DC for a long time?

We down here a few miles (moreso than you in that retirement community you call a city) see a tremendous turnover in population pretty much constantly. Even places like Poquoson are getting it now.

valid point... a lot of those transplants in DC transplant and stay..

And Hey.. we are a retirement/college community.. not just old people

Quote:
Old 02-24-2005, 09:56 AM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, you do see it, DC isn't exactly known as one of the easier media markets to figure out either

It just isn't as intense as Norfolk/H.R., which is of course home of "the largest concentration of military personnel in the nation". I think what that does is multiply the "non-native" factor, because the military tends to cut across a broader swath of geography than other industries, or at a higher percentage than others (i.e. - a "tech community" or a "medical community" tends to be non-native but more likely to be from the same region than the military, which seems to send people to work as far away from home as possible).