Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Question on Ethernet cards

My girlfriend currentnly has an Intel pro 100 ve network card on her computer. Does this classify as an Ethernet card? I do not think it does, here is the product despcription from Intel:

Quote:
Provide reliable, cost-effective LAN access for customers who need simple, straightforward 10/100 connections that support standards-based management features. Ethernet-speed connectivity reliable 10/100 connections enable workers, students and other network users to transact e-Business, access the Internet, manage email, run applications and share files.The Communications and Networking Riser (CNR) form factor makes the Intel PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter compatible with Intel's next-generation ICH2-based chipsets and CNR-enabled desktop boards from Intel and other vendors, for integration into a value-minded LAN solution. While this adapter is not interchangeable with PCI adapters, boards may have both CNR and PCI connectors, giving system integrators greater flexibility in designing systems to meet customer needs.

Intel SingleDriver technology uses a common suite of drivers for all networking platforms, simplifying the job of installation and IT administration. The Intel PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter supports Wired for Management (WfM) 2.0 and includes the Intel PROSet Utility for fast, easy installation and configuration.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 02-10-2005 at 06:19 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It's not a PCI card, but it is an Ethernet port than can communicate to any other Ethernet devices. Is she having problems with it?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I have that "card" (it's onboard) on my current computer and I'm plugged into my school's ethernet.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
It's not a PCI card, but it is an Ethernet port than can communicate to any other Ethernet devices. Is she having problems with it?

Yes. The school services at her school are lazy and no help. She has a UTP cord connected to the Ethernet jack in her room. However, it does not work.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

man, that product description is painfully bad.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Yes. The school services at her school are lazy and no help. She has a UTP cord connected to the Ethernet jack in her room. However, it does not work.

There should be a green and an amber light at the top of the port on her computer. They should light up when she's plugged in.

If they don't, then the jack is dead, or her cable is bad.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Not all ports have lights on them.

Go into your network connections and if the two little computers are lit up, you're connected.. or you can double click on the connection and it will say "connected" or "disconnected".

Also, right click on my computer and goto properties, hardware, and device manager. Look in that list for network adapters and see if it's listed in there. Maybe the drivers are not loaded.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

She is brining her computer up here tonight and I am going to run some tests on it to make sure everything is working on the computer side. I think she said the amber green light was lighting up but you know how women are with computers.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 02-10-2005 at 06:49 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote