Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Hurst2112
College Starter

OT: John Bonham like you have never heard him

First of all, just saying 'hi' to everybody. I have been away for quite some time. Good to see familiar (feces) I mean faces.

Anyway, my boss found these drum tracks of late Zeppelin songs. They are from the albums In Through the Out Door and Coda. ITTOD is probably my favorite Bonham drum sound.

http://www.disndat.info/bonham/

There have been people posting, questioning if they were real. I can tell you that being a Bonham fan for the last 25 years, I can vouch for them. There is no mistaking Bonham's style.

As you listen to some of the tracks, you will hear John grunt and moan during fills. I am friends with an engineer who worked on Zeppelin II (Chris Huston) and he said that John would make noises a lot. Most of the time they would leave them in the track.

Anyway...take the time to listen. Enjoy.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Very cool. Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Very cool. Thanks!

No problem K. I am trying to get my hands on the CD quality versions. It would be good to have for collectors sake.

I am going to use this in the studio...when I have to deal with drummers who don't play solid enough. "Listen to Bonzo...and keep practicing dude!" John's snare hits are so powerful and consistent...it's not even funny.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Ksyrup

*bump*

I passed this link on to a couple of people who about wet themselves when they saw what it was.

My wife, on the other hand, just shook her head with a puzzled look on her face when I told her what I was downloading.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

looking forward to downloading these...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This is beyond cool. A million thanks. I learned to play listening to this guy.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

neat stuff.

a little confused by you saying they are outtakes from Coda though...
Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
neat stuff.

a little confused by you saying they are outtakes from Coda though...

CODA was an album that was released after John died. From what I remember, the stuff on the album was a mix of things that they recorded in the late 70s that never got released. Jimmy Page decided to release the album....around 82 or 83 i think.

For the CODA album, they did a lot of mobile recording/overdub stuff. It wasn't all done at the same studio. It's an ok album...with about 3 good songs on it.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
Hurst2112
College Starter

Dola:

There is a song in the Bonham tracks that was on that album. The title for the 6th track of drums (and some other bits...tracks before or after) is "Ozone Baby". There is also a song called "Wearing and Tearing" that you can hear the drums for.

Rock on
Old 02-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
CODA was an album that was released after John died. From what I remember, the stuff on the album was a mix of things that they recorded in the late 70s that never got released. Jimmy Page decided to release the album....around 82 or 83 i think.

For the CODA album, they did a lot of mobile recording/overdub stuff. It wasn't all done at the same studio. It's an ok album...with about 3 good songs on it.

I guess my point is that there weren't (to my knowledge) any specific "sessions" for CODA, either before or after Bonham died. It was stuff they already had kicking around and Page "finished up". Maybe I'm just splitting hairs...I tend to do that.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
Ksyrup

Is there a specific listing yet as to what songs each of the tracks relates to? Some I can figure out, but others...I'm not used to listening solely to drum tracks, so it's hard (for me, anyway).
Old 02-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Anthony
Banned

CODA was my first LZ album.

we're gonna groove...ahhh groove. "Poor Tom" was a very awesome song. i used to pretend i was singing the song "Darlene" to this chick named Darlene when i was like 13.

kinda weird for someone to have CODA as their first introduction to Led Zep if you ask me.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Is there a specific listing yet as to what songs each of the tracks relates to? Some I can figure out, but others...I'm not used to listening solely to drum tracks, so it's hard (for me, anyway).

I have them on my ipod and figured out all the songs, listening for about an hour straight on the bus today. I will try to post them today, or tonight for sure.

Most are from In through the out door...and there are repeated segments of about 4 songs. All my love, Carouselramba(sp), Fool in the rain.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
CODA was my first LZ album.

we're gonna groove...ahhh groove. "Poor Tom" was a very awesome song. i used to pretend i was singing the song "Darlene" to this chick named Darlene when i was like 13.

kinda weird for someone to have CODA as their first introduction to Led Zep if you ask me.

Not a bad first Zepp album. Like I said, there are several solid songs on there. Darlene is great...Groove is also great. I didn't mind Poor Tom.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

We're Gonna Groove is usually the very first song I put on a Zep mix.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
Anthony
Banned

Poor Tom was from the Led Zep III days. Page said he didn't want to go overbaord with all the acoutsic songs.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
Ksyrup

Hey, you're famous!

ContactMusic.com is reporting that mysterious lost drumming tracks believed to be recordings made by tragic LED ZEPPELIN drummer John Bonham have appeared on the internet.

Web site www.disndat.info/bonham features 23 tracks reportedly recorded by Bonham and is offering them to fans as streaming audio and MP3s.

The anonymous sound engineer, who put the recordings on the site, admits he has been overwhelmed by the response, but refuses to confirm or deny the tracks are genuine.

He writes, "I really only stuck these tracks up here to share with a specific group of people... but it seems that in the process, the link to this page has been spread to the masses.

"I understand the mass appeal. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!

"I got these from a friend that's part of the group of people that I mentioned above. I recently talked with him and asked where he got them... and his came from a friend, too... and he gave me exactly what was given to him, so what I've got is what he's got, is what his friend had... and so on.

"Neither of us know where they came from... we just know what and who they appear to be... so take that for whatever it's worth."
Old 02-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #18
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ok, who squealed?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #19
Hurst2112
College Starter

Well, I would LIKE to stake claim to all the publicity; but alas, they are quoting the guy who owns the website. I am just a fan on the receiving end of all this.

I guess my initial post made it sound like my boss "found" the actual tapes. What i was getting at was that he found this guys site. Strange...I could have milked this one out to be a big-shot.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 02-10-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Led Zepplin? I thought this guy was in that overrated group, U2............
Old 02-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #21
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Led Zepplin? I thought this guy was in that overrated group, U2............

Ha! that's funny! Wait, was that a Bonham dis?