Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

IHOF: 2007 Brooklyn Fightin' Bums Media Guide

I spent about 8 and a half hours putting this thing together last night, and I plan to make it a tradition to do one of these every season (I know, I'm insane), so I thought I'd post the link here on FOFC so I can get some feedback.

http://www.fof-ihof.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3577

Anything in there you guys like? Suggestions for how I can improve it in future seasons?

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just nudging this upward so it doesn't get too buried. I really would like some input, if anybody has any to share.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yes, but I don't have the attention span required to do something like that on an ongoing basis.

EDIT: yar, post bug.

Last edited by SackAttack : 02-04-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Doing a dynasty is more fun.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

argh, the time stap bug is back.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
MIJB#19
Coordinator

or has it never been gone at all?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's popped up a couple of times today, but it had been fairly dormant until recently.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Holy cow - that's the most impressive thing I've ever seen from someone in an online league. Nice work SA.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Holy cow - that's the most impressive thing I've ever seen from someone in an online league. Nice work SA.
Go read my dynasty and my IHOF articles!

But seriously, that's really impressive, Josh. That's far beyond the biggest thing I wrote for my team or the league.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 02-04-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Thanks. I'm sure there's room for improvement, though. Is there anything you'd like to see in a future media guide that wasn't in this one?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #11
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Thanks. I'm sure there's room for improvement, though. Is there anything you'd like to see in a future media guide that wasn't in this one?

Sure how about season by season stats and any awards/honors they have received in their career and a season by season list of how the team has done record wise.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Sure how about season by season stats and any awards/honors they have received in their career and a season by season list of how the team has done record wise.

Ooh, stats. good idea. I need to figure out how to format it properly so that everything's aligned just so, but that's definitely going into the next media guide (and I may retroactively add it to this year's guide, too).

Season awards/honors would be easy enough to add, although if I go as deep as "player of the game," that would be a little more time-consuming since not everybody on the team started out with us. Something to think about, though.

As for the team record, I can add that in there, too, although I think I'd probably want to include season capsules with it to give the reader an idea of how each year went. That's probably something better left for the 2008 guide, but I'll probably end up adding that as a feature.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Season awards/honors would be easy enough to add, although if I go as deep as "player of the game," that would be a little more time-consuming since not everybody on the team started out with us. Something to think about, though.
http://www.fof-ihof.com/player/player.php?playerid=843
http://www.fof-ihof.com/player/player.php?playerid=1144
http://www.fof-ihof.com/player/player.php?playerid=2067

Quote:
As for the team record, I can add that in there, too, although I think I'd probably want to include season capsules with it to give the reader an idea of how each year went. That's probably something better left for the 2008 guide, but I'll probably end up adding that as a feature.
http://www.fof-ihof.com/team/teamhistory.php?teamid=19

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

EDIT: I'm stupid. I thought VPI was linking just to the career stats. I didn't even see the career awards part on there.

As for the team records part, what I meant is I'd want to have a year, followed by its record, followed by a summary of the season. It'd be ridiculously easy to just put the won/loss total in there, but I wanna do more with it than that.

Last edited by SackAttack : 02-04-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

Now I see why he left the season records out of the media guide
Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Nah, each 4-12 season is like a badge of honor. I've gone where even angels fear to tread.

VPI, I've got a table set up to add the stats to each player bio in the media guide, but when I preview the post edit, the statline has several lines of dead space between the end of the player bio and the statline. Got any idea how to fix that?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Impressive attention to detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Guide
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head, Englebert Humperdink

I think that was B.J. Thomas.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I think that was B.J. Thomas.

The original may have been, but that doesn't mean the player's favorite song is necessarily the original version. I prefer Israel Kamakawiwol'ole's cover of "Take Me Home, Country Road" to John Denver's version, for example.

Some of the songs were plucked from my iPod's playlist (virtually all of which is either directly from CDs, or purchased from iTunes), and the one on my iPod is, I think, Mr. Humperdinck and another person - probably B.J. Thomas - but all the artist field could fit was Mr. Humperdinck's name.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yay! I figured out how to fix the dead space issue with my tables! Stat sheets for all!

Well, except the rookies, they don't count.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Stats have been added for every player with IHOF experience. Rookies will get a statline of their own in next year's edition. As soon as I can figure out a stylish way to add the Player of the Game/Week/IHOF awards to each player bio, that'll get added.

Team history (won/loss record) with season capsules and such will be an addition for the 2008 Media Guide.

Any other ideas for how I can improve the current edition, guys?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

I dunno, the previous years' schedules with W-L and a brief (like 1-2 sentence) summary of the games.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:31 AM   #22
KWhit
Coordinator

Oh, and it would be really cool if you could do one for my team too.

Thanks in advance.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #23
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Oh, and it would be really cool if you could do one for my team too.

Thanks in advance.

Grab me on AIM or somethin'. We'll talk.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #24
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola,

This is what I've settled on for the awards for the time being. It's sort of an adaptation of the statlines:

Awards

Awards Team Yr/Wk Result Att Cmp Yards Avg TD INT Sck Yards Rate
PoG BKN 2006/2 21-17 29 22 219 7.5 2 1 3 16 105.4

The plan is that as a player wins new awards - such as league championship MVP - I'll increase the number of rows, and if a player wins an award multiple times, I'll do the same.

My only concern is that for star players, such a table could get fairly large, fairly quickly.

Anybody have streamlining suggestions?
Old 02-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I wish I had the patience to do this stuff. I can't sit still long enough to do a dynasty anymore.

It's sad. I love all my text sims. I just feel too occupied with all my RL projects to "relax" long enough to get into them.

Blah

Still, really awesome.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I wish I had the patience to do this stuff. I can't sit still long enough to do a dynasty anymore.

It's sad. I love all my text sims. I just feel too occupied with all my RL projects to "relax" long enough to get into them.

Find a block of time when you aren't doing anything else, and just let it fly. As much work as it was to do this, the bulk of what's up so far happened between about 7 pm and 2:30 am Thursday night/Friday morning (I should have gone to bed earlier, but the light at the end of the tunnel and all that). I've spent the last couple of days refining things, but I was able to sock away most of it in one evening that I wouldn't have spent doing anything else.

That said, I lack the patience and perseverance to do dynasty reports. I've tried before, with single player, and they always die out. Maybe the structure of a multiplayer environment would make that easier, but I think for the foreseeable future I'm just going to make the Media Guide my baby, and try to find ways to go more in-depth with it in future years. A one-shot project that I can hammer out and then let go until after the season is over. It just seems a better fit for my personality.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
My only concern is that for star players, such a table could get fairly large, fairly quickly.

That didn't take long. Trying to add Braithwaite's (and especially Sykes') awards broke the media guide, so I had to remove them. I guess in future years I'll have to break up some of the larger position groups, such as LB, into smaller position groups (ILB, OLB) so that I can fit the awards in without running out of space in the post.