Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Computer Help Needed With Serial ATA Hard Drive

Ok, so I bought a comp from Dell last year with a 250GB SATA Hard drive.
Last week I ordered a 2nd SATA hard drive from Dell, I thought it odd that it had no cables with it, just the HD in the bag, but I figured they wouldn't send me the HD without the cables and that all the neccesary hook ups must be inside the machine. Well I open it up this morning and boom, 1 blue SATA cable is running from the board to my 1st HD but theres nothing else that looks anything like it in there.

I have a bunch of cables inside my machine that look like they would go on the 2nd hard drive but they don't arnt SATA cables and i'm afraid to hook them up for fear of screwing something up.

My question, am I screwed until I can go out and buy a SATA cable or will 1 of those other ones work? I was planning on getting this SOB fired up today and am royaly pissed right now.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
gi
College Prospect

Unless Dell gave you an extra one, you'll have to buy one. SATA Cables are pretty unique. Look at the one that is current attached to your HD (Disconnect it and look inside the end) that should give you enough to see if you have an extra. Also make sure you have an additional power cable for it. Dell might not be nice enough to include two SATA power cables.

Best guess, you are screwed until you can get another cable. But to prevent two trips to the store, verify you have an additional power cable.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Unless Dell gave you an extra one, you'll have to buy one. SATA Cables are pretty unique. Look at the one that is current attached to your HD (Disconnect it and look inside the end) that should give you enough to see if you have an extra. Also make sure you have an additional power cable for it. Dell might not be nice enough to include two SATA power cables.

Best guess, you are screwed until you can get another cable. But to prevent two trips to the store, verify you have an additional power cable.

I'm pretty sure I have the power cable, it's the same as the power cable connected to the first HD, that one I hooked up, hoping it was all I needed but when I turned it on it didnt show up, so yeah, looks like I need to go get a SATA cable, unfortunatly the only "computer" type store in the area is a Staples and their web site doesn't show them as carrying SATA cable, so I'm screwed for awhile. Fuckin Dell. Is it really worth pissing their customers off like this by not including a lousy $5 friggin cable? Asshats.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
I'm pretty sure I have the power cable, it's the same as the power cable connected to the first HD, that one I hooked up, hoping it was all I needed but when I turned it on it didnt show up, so yeah, looks like I need to go get a SATA cable, unfortunatly the only "computer" type store in the area is a Staples and their web site doesn't show them as carrying SATA cable, so I'm screwed for awhile. Fuckin Dell. Is it really worth pissing their customers off like this by not including a lousy $5 friggin cable? Asshats.

If it would cost them that much. If they have 2 SATA connections, they should give you 2 SATA cables IMO. Sympathy for you if the only 'computer' store is staples.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The cables for each SATA connection usually come with the motherboard. In this case you bought your pc from Dell, so they only had the cable for your HD that came with the pc.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Ok, so I bought a comp from Dell last year with a 250GB SATA Hard drive.

Last week I ordered a 2nd SATA hard drive from Dell, I thought it odd that it had no cables with it, just the HD in the bag, but I figured they wouldn't send me the HD without the cables and that all the neccesary hook ups must be inside the machine. Well I open it up this morning and boom, 1 blue SATA cable is running from the board to my 1st HD but theres nothing else that looks anything like it in there.

I have a bunch of cables inside my machine that look like they would go on the 2nd hard drive but they don't arnt SATA cables and i'm afraid to hook them up for fear of screwing something up.

My question, am I screwed until I can go out and buy a SATA cable or will 1 of those other ones work? I was planning on getting this SOB fired up today and am royaly pissed right now.

Did you buy the retail version of the drive or just the drive? On the website, there seems to be retail versions of the HD's that come with a cable and the OEM versions that are just the drive.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote