Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Stupidest reason ever not to switch to Firefox from IE..

I love the paid MicroSoft Shills try to attack FireFox. Here was a particularly funny bon mot from one such "Technology Analyst"

Out of the ashes of Netscape, Mozilla has built a solid browser that supports features such as tabbed views, Google for native searches and direct support for RSS feeds. But business users need to think twice about making the switch from Internet Explorer, since Firefox lacks the ability to run Microsoft ActiveX code.

(Jaw drop)

You mean, the reason why we shouldn't switch from Internut Exploder to FireFox is.. Mozilla is smarter then to arbitrarily execute non-standard code that it doesn't know the origin of, just because a web page told it so?????

95% or more of the exploits out there use ActiveX to infect a machine. But yet, we shouldn't switch to FireFox, lest we miss out on this wonderful thing?

I'm sorry, if you're that stupid... you deserve to get kicked in the jimmies. Repeatedly. If not a paid shill, then this "analyst" (who got picked up in a couple trade mags.. wonder if MS paid to spread the word? ) is too stupid to live

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am a100% behind competion against Microsoft's monoply of browsres especially related to business.However, I would throw this out today explorer is the most used browser and Windows OS's are run on about 85-90 of business information systems.So, that is what attackers(ie.hackers) are looking to exploit. If as I beleive in the next 4-6 years open-source takes a much large portion of the OS area and mozillagrabs agreater part of the browser industry then we will see more exploits created for these inevitably.But, on a related note I just loaded Firefox and very pleased with what I have seen.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW lighthousekeeper: If you absolutely MUST have ActiveX for work.. there's an ActiveX plug in for FireFox I believe
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
chinaski
College Prospect

NOT having ActiveX is one of the greatest reasons to use Firefox. Any idiot knows ActiveX is the sole reason why IE is so insecure.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
Any idiot knows ActiveX is the sole reason why IE is so insecure.

What if that's something I just learned. So you're an idiot, but what am I?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
What if that's something I just learned. So you're an idiot, but what am I?

you were a complete idiot up until the moment you learned the shocking truth about ActiveX!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

what the fuck is ActiveX?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

IE does not have to be vulnerable to ActiveX exploits. Select tools, options, security and custom and you have a choice of running ActiveX controls transparently, banning them or having a prompt come up with a yes/no choice. I use this last one and respond to the prompt according to my confidence in the site I'm on.

I use Firefox as my default browser but there are still too many web pages that dislike Firefox (it makes a complete shambles of my bank statements for example - as if the figures themselves are not shambles enough ) and Firefox still reports some sites as unavailable which IE loads up instantly.

Firefox is good but it still has problems.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 01-29-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just installed Firefox. Seems like a high school project or a user mod that went big time. Will take a while to get use to how different it does things (like the Bookmarks and Favorites). The Walnut theme looks cool though.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #10
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
IE does not have to be vulnerable to ActiveX exploits. Select tools, options, security and custom and you have a choice of running ActiveX controls transparently, banning them or having a prompt come up with a yes/no choice. I use this last one and respond to the prompt according to my confidence in the site I'm on.
Same here.

I use Firefox occassionally, but there's too many sites that it can't handle for me to use it all of the time.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I just installed it the other day, and keep meaning to use it more, but by force of habit I seem to keep opening IE. Oh well, give it time I guess.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I made the switch to Firefox but I had to hide my IE icon on the desktop, and replace it on the quickbar with Firefox... otherwise everytime I wanted to surf, I'd subconsciously open up IE.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Is there anyway to get the URL list box to display the site's in chronological order with the latest URL being at the top?

Also, I am noticing as I type this that the cursor is sitting nearly on top of the letter it is typing. Very annoying. Anyway to change that?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote