Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

NASCAR SimRacing

I think someone brought this up a couple of months ago. They released a demo for it and I tried it out. Since I only have a gampad, I can't comment on how good it actually drives, but the graphics are great and the physics seem to be on par with the old Papyrus games I pllayed (but I don't think I played the last 2 Papyrus games). I got into one accident that got me in the air. It was great.

This game will have a career mode to it. Here's a part from the GameSpot Hands-On they posted today:

"The first area we wanted to explore in our time with the latest version of the game was the career mode. Unlike the story-driven career mode found in last year's console NASCAR title, NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup, your career in SimRacing is thankfully free of melodramatic cutscenes and street races in Dodge Vipers. Instead, you'll be much more concerned with the only commodity more precious than speed in stock-car racing: money. While three NASCAR racing series are available in SimRacing's career mode--the Craftsman Truck Series, the National Series, and the Nextel Cup--you'll begin your career in the Truck Series, with a bare-bones vehicle you can repaint and rename as you see fit, and a team budget of around $1 million. And while that sounds like a lot of money, your expenses will quickly make it seem like chump change, especially if you aren't placing well in your races."

Awesome. The preview says you can upgrade your vehicle through R&D. Kind of a downside, it says when you finish an upgrade, you have to create a new car to take advantage of it. Also, you have to repair your car between races.

You'll also be able to release merchandise: "NASCAR SimRacing allows you to create a number of different racing knickknacks that NASCAR fans love to purchase. These items include die-cast models, action figures, a line of clothing, and replica helmets, among other things. Each newly introduced line of merchandise requires an initial investment on your part to cover production costs. "

And of course, you can sell ad space on your car to get money.

The game will record a ton of data on on your telemetry: "NASCAR SimRacing has some of the most detailed and accessible telemetry options ever found in a PC racing title. Not only is there a massive amount of car data--including engine and gearbox data, engine temperature readings, and driver input data (for braking, throttle, and clutch use)--but the information is also organized to make it easy to compare this information across multiple laps. Using a zoomable onscreen track map, you can even bore down to specific sections of the course to focus on information from only that sector of asphalt."

This looks like it could replace the Papyrus NASCAR games. Looks like I'll need to buy a steering wheel soon.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
jbmagic
Pro Starter

will this sim, have a garage were you get to set tire pressure, springs, compression, etc for your car?

i know the best Nascar sim was Sierra Nascar Racing 2003 season by Papyrus. and its still popular and very realistic.

i cant wait to hear more on this new nascar sim

is there a web page?

Last edited by jbmagic : 01-28-2005 at 11:01 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
WrongWay
Banned

Looks like another button masher to me.

I have Nascar Thunder 2004 from EA and it does have a career mode with financials. Like other EA games you can not print anything! Why don't they understand that people playing a career mode on a PC want to print things.

Probably would be a great game if I didn't have to become a button masher and actually "Drive" the car. From the article I read on EA's Nascar SimRacing you once again have to be the "Driver". I guess it took the Madden people over a decade to learn that not all people want to be the QB, some actually just want to be the coach. Maybe the people who make the Nascar line will learn that people on the PC playing in "Career mode" would rather hire a Driver their "Driver" and spend the rest of the time building their team. I want to be Joe Gibbs not Tony Stewart. Well, maybe next decade.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:08 AM   #4
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
will this sim, have a garage were you get to set tire pressure, springs, compression, etc for your car?
I am assuming it does, because here is what the back of last years box says.
"More than 50 adjustment including fender flares, rear spoiler angles, tire pressure, wedge, anti-roll bar, and more"

Please post here immediately if the NEW version lets you hire drivers and just Simulate races. That would make the game a must buy for me.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:21 AM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Nascar Thunder 2004 is more arcade feel too it

Nascar Racing 2003 season is more simulation and realistic
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

I am looking forward to this one. I haven't played it and haven't really been following but I can tell you that it's predecessor was Nascar Racing 2003 and that was about as realistic as it's gonna get (from what everybody says). This one is going to try and build upon that with the same core of developers.

I'm looking forward to it and it may force me to dust off my racing wheel. I was in an on-line league for a couple of years and had a blast (even though I was basically a "lapper"). I did manage a 2nd place finish at Watkins Glen in my 2 year career.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote