Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is it legal to grow pot in Oregon?

Marijuana the only resident of this rental

By Bill Bishop
The Register-Guard

Eugene police cited a University of Oregon senior Wednesday after finding 365 marijuana plants in a house at 3775 Kincaid St. that the suspect allegedly had rented exclusively to grow the drug.
Michael Brandon Malloy, 21, of Eugene, potentially faces prosecution for a felony because the house is next door to Parker Elementary School, well within the 1,000-foot distance that elevates the severity of manufacturing a controlled sub- stance. Malloy has no prior criminal history, police Det. Karol Herbert said.

"The whole house was rented to be a grow. My suspect just tended it weekly and lived somewhere else," Herbert said.

She described the operation as not particularly sophisticated. Plants were growing in two bedrooms and the garage of the home and ranged from 2 inches to 3 feet high. Most were budding and nearly ready to be harvested. Herbert estimated that Malloy had been growing the plants for about five months.

A police officer who went to the address to serve legal documents on a former resident smelled the fresh marijuana, which enabled police to get a search warrant.

Herbert said she did not arrest Malloy because he "bent over backward cooperating" and because he had classes to attend in order to graduate in March.

"I didn't want to keep him from that," Herbert said.

Malloy is charged with manufacturing, delivering and possessing a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school.

Also nice to see he has a plant for every day of the year

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Smelled the fresh marijuana, eh? Sure.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

The U of O campus is like Berkley, only subtract a hundred IQ points per student.
God Damn Hippies.

Go Beavs!
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote