Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Hearts of Iron, Which One?

I see Hearts of Iron Platinum and Hearts of Iron II. I know Platinum is the first version rereleased with better AI, new scenarios, and a bunch of other stuff. So I'm not confused on what they are.

Which one should I get? Platinum is half the price of HoI2. Is HoI2 that much better than Platinum that I should get 2, or is it not much of an update and should I just stick with getting Platinum? What were the major added features to HoI2?

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
jamesUMD
High School JV

I heard that the 2nd version is light years away from the first version. I have read a couple of reviews that said the 2nd version will only ever be topped, possibly by a sequal. I bought the first one, barely played, but think I might get the new version. I don't buy the hype when it comes from the game producer, but if I read several reviews saying the same thing I tend to believe they have relevance.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

two
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I thought you already purchased the first one?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
HerRealName
College Prospect

II
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
jamesUMD
High School JV

HOI II
Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam.../View/001HEAI2

$35 at GoGamer.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how is the game manual with HOH 2?

does it do a great on explaining how to play the game..

i never play HOH 1

Last edited by jbmagic : 01-26-2005 at 06:16 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
how is the game manual with HOH 2?

does it do a great on explaining how to play the game..

i never play HOH 1

I'd say the manual is good. The text is a little small for the non-seeing among us, but it's very well written. It's written by a member of the community rather than a developer, so it goes a long way in explaining what a paying customer would want to know. If you do buy the game, I recommend the "Key Concepts" section to be read right away, it's an excellent primer.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
I thought you already purchased the first one?

Yeah....I can't find it.

It's not like me to misplace a game CD so I probably lent it to a friend. Either way, I did hear some good things about the improved AI, and since the Platinum is only $20, I thought it'd be worth the upgrade anyway. But from what I'm hearing, 2 is the way to go.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm saving HOI II for another day, but it will no doubt end up in my library before too long. I have found myself addicted to Pacific Fighters. I haven't enjoyed a WWII flight sim in years.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

HOI2 is way better in combat, especially air and naval. WHat it is missing, IMO, is the "feel" that HOI1 with CORE had. It just doesn't feel like WWII era right now. I have played a handful of 1936 scenarios and never seen Japan declare war on the US. There is also a problem with the alliance structure where you have to drop out of any existing alliance to enter into one of the big three, Allies, Axis, Comintern. This in effect often keeps Japan from joining the Axis as they are allied with Manchukuo and a couple of times the US has allied with Mexico and hasn't gotten into the Allies.

I also have a continuing problem with the AI regarding allied attacks. It always seems like my allies sit back and watch while I do all the attacking. I can take military control and fix this, but I don't want to have to run every country that I am allied with. Of course, HOI1 wasn't much better at this.

All in all I'd say HOI2. Patches will come rather quickly and the community improvements will enhance every aspect of the game. It may take six months before it eclipses HOI1 for me, but in the end the basic engine is far superior.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

on HOH 2

is the AI challenging in this game?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I see Hearts of Iron Platinum and Hearts of Iron II. I know Platinum is the first version rereleased with better AI, new scenarios, and a bunch of other stuff. So I'm not confused on what they are.

Which one should I get? Platinum is half the price of HoI2. Is HoI2 that much better than Platinum that I should get 2, or is it not much of an update and should I just stick with getting Platinum? What were the major added features to HoI2?

Thanks sabotai because of you I'm going to have to buy this game now.....

Appearently this game is very moddable and it is even possible to remove the time limit from the game and even dominate the whole world (or every county possible) in this game.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
JeffR
High School JV

Bottom line, HOI2 vanilla seems to be at least as good as HOI Platinum with all the trimmings. And HOI2 is the one that'll continute to be developed - not just officially by Paradox. Most of the guys that worked on things like the C.O.R.E. project for HOI1 (which became part of HOI Platinum) have moved on to working on HOI2.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:12 AM   #16
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
HOI2 is so much better than HOI