Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Chad Ford - an Idiot?

hxxp://www.blogmaverick.com/

Not sure what everyone here thinks of Chad Ford of ESPN, but I for one am in total agreement w/ Mark Cuban. To say Chad Ford is an NBA "Insider" is a complete joke. Now most of my hate for Ford comes from the fact that he seems to have a bias against my Celtics, but i digress. He seems to love playing make-believe w/ trades. What do you all think of Mr. Ford? I personally would much rather have David Aldridge.

Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wait...there are still people who pay attention to the NBA??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
wait...there are still people who pay attention to the NBA??

I'm trying to figure out what's more useful. Your comment or a parody thread.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

true that.

and for the record: I've always thought Chad Ford was an idiot, and a joke of an "NBA insider." Then again, most of these "Insider" guys it seems don't know all that much.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

he's more of an NBA insider than Steve Young and Michael Irvin are NFL experts.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I like Ford becaue he loves Joe Dumars and the Pistons. He also loves Darko. Yay Darko! Yay Chad!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

I read Ford all the time and have always thought he was the best NBA writer.

I'd take him over DA in a second.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't follow the NBA, so I don't even know who Chad Ford is, but I have the same question for some guy named Jerry Crasnick for baseball - who is he and why would I pay for Insider to read what he has to say? Rob Neyer, I've heard of. But their only other baseball insider is some guy with no name recognition at all. Makes no sense to me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

For what it is worth, I subscribe to ESPN Insider and think it is worth it.

It comes with a year's subscription to ESPN the Magazine, which is not great, but is weekly and has some reasonably substantial (re: long) articles. For someone like me that no longer subscribes to SI or TSN, it is decent.

I like being able to read Neyer, the chat transcripts, Kiper's draft info, and Lemming's recruiting info. I guess it is kind of a good, centralized source of info for someone like me, who is into a lot of sports, but not fanatical about any one sport. I wouldn't subscribe to a Baseball Prospectus, Rivals, or any single-sport site, so this is kind of a good middle ground to me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 AM   #10
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm don't have a big opinion on Ford either way, although he did seem to make some sense in his last comment (ie, Cuban saying Nash is too old for a long term deal then he signs Dampier to a similar deal with him being just one year younger than Nash). While I don't think Ford is as good as Aldridge, it seems Cuban has a big problem with any kind of criticism. Letting Nash go for Dampier was a mistake to this point. It's not a big deal, most GM's make them (Look at Phoenix giving Hardaway and Gugliatta big deals). But you can't really learn from your mistakes if you never think you made any.

The end result is that he is a columnist and will make conclusions that don't pan out (Heck, Gammons is like 2 for 20 on trades to this point). But that doesn't mean he isn't gathering facts accurately. It just reads like sour grapes by Cuban because of what Nash (and Dampier) have done so far and the criticism he's gotten.

Last edited by Arles : 01-26-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think this makes it pretty clear

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots an NBA three and plays with his back to the basket. So you can slot him at the 3, 4 or 5. Okay, a few other guys can do that, too, but what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post ... Fact is, Darko plays in attack mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back."

-- ESPN's Chad Ford on NBA Draft prospect Darko Milicic, in the June 23rd, 2003 issue of ESPN the Magazine
Old 01-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

Aside from Kevin Pelton, Chad Ford is the best NBA writer working these days...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #13
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I think this makes it pretty clear

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots an NBA three and plays with his back to the basket. So you can slot him at the 3, 4 or 5. Okay, a few other guys can do that, too, but what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post ... Fact is, Darko plays in attack mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back."

-- ESPN's Chad Ford on NBA Draft prospect Darko Milicic, in the June 23rd, 2003 issue of ESPN the Magazine
I challenge you to find one draft analyst that has never made a mistake. Chad Ford is a columnist and, as such, provides his opinion on issues. Many times they will not pan out but that does not mean he is sloppy. Given Darko went No. 2 overall, I would think that many other NBA executives agreed with Ford's stance.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ok take it easy. I just thought that was a humorous analysis.