Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Have I mentioned lately I hate New England Winters? :D

It's chaos at the grocery stores in the area, as once again, the weathermen completely blow it, and what was once "maybe 4 inches or less, depending on storm track" has become.. "OH MY GOD! WE'RE GOING TO BE BURIED UNDER SNOW!"

The noreaster now is scheduled to drop (get this) 10-24" of snow in my area.

Blankety Blank Blankers.. well so much for going up to Boston to spend my massive amount of OT coming in

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would take cold, snowy New England winters over hot Western or Southern summers...anytime. Which is probably why we are planning on moving to New Hampshire in a few years.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I would take cold, snowy New England winters over hot Western or Southern summers...anytime. Which is probably why we are planning on moving to New Hampshire in a few years.

u r nutz.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
TLK
Pro Starter

We're expected to see some of that mess (I heard 5-9 inches)... I had to take the proper precautions, and pickup a couple cases of extra beer.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Foz, it was 73 today in Phoenix. You should come hang out with the He and the She-Rahn for a weekend.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
miked
College Starter

Stupid Boston, now I have to move my car because it's parked on an "Emergency Artery" or something. All the way to Cambridge where my work lot is...and the windchill is -10. Every year I live here, they keep saying it was the worst winter yet...maybe I can bring my tent to the AZ and sleep in somebody's warm yard while they code.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Craptacular
College Starter

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
u r nutz.

I'm agree with this. Why do you think I moved South. I'll DEFINETLY take the Southern summer over freaking snow blizzards!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Just a little rant on weatherpeople here...

The local ones are almost always AWFUL! They always totally ignore big storms like this as they're building up, saying "The current models have it going to our south, so there's a chance of light snow this weekend... keep in mind these things can change paths and it is very likely we will see NO snow at all." Never even entertainign the idea that the storm might shift the OTHER way and cause HUGE problems.

This same exact thing happens AT LEAST two or three times per season up here in Albany, and I imagine the same for most Northeastern locales.

I now just try to figure out the forecast myself for these sort of things, using NOAA maps.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #10
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

we got crushed at work today due to the stupid weather predictions. I always make fun of this crap by yelling "STORM OF THE CENTURY" to anyone who starts talking like "oh no we're going to get a storm"

YAWN, after driving through the blizzard of 95 where it took me like 8 hours to get from Syracuse to Buffalo I'm not worried about snow.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I'm supposed to be out in Boston for the Harvard tournament Feb. 17-22. I'd like snow on the first day, and then clear weather for the remaining time. Can anybody make that happen for me?

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I now just try to figure out the forecast myself for these sort of things, using NOAA maps.

One thing the gov't does well. Everyone should just go to weather.gov, punch in their zip code, and bookmark that page.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I hate Boston. Really, I do. That's why Im going to the Bahamas for a week on Sunday, which naturally will be the nicest day of the week.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
vtbub
College Starter

Snow?

Too cold here in Northern VT.

Enjoy your blizzard:P

HE KEEL ME NOW. Gotta shovel out first.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

I worked at a Stop and Shop in high school and it was always a bedlam before a snowstorm of any type, and that was in Connecticut. People do not know how to prepare for a snowstorm, and too many people think it's the end of the world if snow starts to fall.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

they don't know if it's three inches or ten inches here. $^%#&^# weathermen.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Foz, it was 73 today in Phoenix. You should come hang out with the He and the She-Rahn for a weekend.

Don't tempt me, Farrah.. especially with Zona hosting one of the sets of Spring Training..
Old 01-21-2005, 11:01 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
Snow?

Too cold here in Northern VT.

Enjoy your blizzard:P

HE KEEL ME NOW. Gotta shovel out first.

Oh, it's not supposed to start till 3 PM Ron.. I can leave now if you want...
Old 01-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #19
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

at least your weathermen have senses of humor.

http://www2.whdh.com/weather/

gotta scroll down for the good stuff.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just in case it goes down again (FARK listed this story earlier, and Killified the WHDH website)

EARLIER WRITEUP FROM PETE:
Battlestations! MAJOR snow's on the way. Here's the tenative timetable:

Another frigid night tonight. Lows a few degrees either side of zero. Hazy sun tomorrow as light snow continues out on Cape Cod.

Those snowshowers on Cape Cod join hands with a developing band of snow offshore and sweep into Boston in the afternoon. Meantime, the meat of the storm moves up from the southwest late day. We're in a pickle! The game is on!

Steady light snow turns heavy and ugly by midnight as the lines between ocean-effect and the main-storm blur. Sideways snow with near-blizzard conditions by the wee hours on Cape Cod and the Islands. Boston will be near whiteouts at times...classic nor'easter style.

The snow will be like baby powder: light and fluffy, but also dense in wind-driven snow banks. Try and keep it off your buns though.

Problems include the possibility of splashover at high tide on Sunday morning (see above) and the near-blizzard conditions on the Islands (ferry service may be halted) Sat. night and Sunday AM. Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket take it on the chin with this one.

Snow in Pittsburgh? Yeah tomorrow morning. Should be gone by game time with temps in the teens. Snow on the sidelines and maybe in the stands will give the Pittsburgh fans something to play with when the Pats are up by 30 in the fourth quarter.

FYI, I got dibbs on the english muffins in the bread isle - don't mess with me...I know Mr. Whipple.

GO PATS!
Pete
Old 01-21-2005, 11:16 PM   #21
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Don't tempt me, Farrah.. especially with Zona hosting one of the sets of Spring Training..

We have a very comfortable guest room with a pillow top queen size mattress and egyptian cotton sheets, big fluffy down pillows....Oh, and I make killer french toast.

Of course - we do have cats and dogs, so there's the catch.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heheh.. We have a bichon frise (he's lying on my bed watching me working on the computer). Trust me, dogs and cats don't bother me
Old 01-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #23
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I think I should open the She-Rahn Bed & Breakfast for all you folks who need a break from winter.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:23 PM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

well, think of it this way, it's a good way to get those things done for you that Arlie just hasn't been providing lately..

(I'm talking about painting the walls and taking out the Christmas tree, you guys, dirty minded.. :P )
Old 01-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #25
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
well, think of it this way, it's a good way to get those things done for you that Arlie just hasn't been providing lately..

(I'm talking about painting the walls and taking out the Christmas tree, you guys, dirty minded.. :P )

I think he's got pretty much everything covered these days. Well, except for painting the bathroom.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #26
Eilim
High School Varsity

...and people thought something was wrong with me when my favorite gift for my birthday (back in August) was the self propelled 6 speed snowblower with an electric starter.

The same people who were shaking their heads while I cackled with glee will probably be calling me up this weekend.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:34 AM   #27
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim
...and people thought something was wrong with me when my favorite gift for my birthday (back in August) was the self propelled 6 speed snowblower with an electric starter.

The same people who were shaking their heads while I cackled with glee will probably be calling me up this weekend.

Electric starter... yummy.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #28
TLK
Pro Starter

the snow has started..... ahhhh......
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:53 AM   #29
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'd take some snow over the -20F we have, pre windchill. With the wind right now, they sayd it feels like -41F out there, bleh...

FM
Old 01-22-2005, 05:54 AM   #30
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim

that is an awesome gift, was my Christmas gift 3-4 years ago

FM
Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #31
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We have gotten a lot of snow thus far (i dunno, i'd say 5 inches or 6? I haven't been out yet) but it's not bad.

Snow only sucks when you shovel it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #32
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I love snow! Probably because when we get it here in Atlanta, we get an inch or two and then it melts within a day or so...meanwhile the entire city shuts down because no one knows how to drive in snow and because of all the ice problems on the hills. But I get to play outside with Anthony and then make hot cocoa and have a fire in the fireplace...it's awesome.

But I wouldn't live up north and put up with your winters for anything!!!!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #33
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Report from up-state NY ... -7 F, predicting 10-18 inches. Snow removal equipment? Dodge 2500 HD with a plow. 6 hp snowblower?!? Please! This is MAN's country (at least that's what my wife says)!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:25 AM   #34
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
I worked at a Stop and Shop in high school and it was always a bedlam before a snowstorm of any type, and that was in Connecticut. People do not know how to prepare for a snowstorm, and too many people think it's the end of the world if snow starts to fall.

I was just at the S&S in Newington and it's so busy I had to park in a space I've never seen cars near. I walked in, saw the lines and turned around and left.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:46 AM   #35
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I was just at the S&S in Newington and it's so busy I had to park in a space I've never seen cars near. I walked in, saw the lines and turned around and left.

Luckily I didn't work in Newington. I could write a book about my incredible experiences at Stop and Shop and all the snobby rich customers there. I even had a woman accuse me of hitting her in the head with a mop.

Last edited by samifan24 : 01-22-2005 at 09:52 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #36
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Eater
Report from up-state NY ... -7 F, predicting 10-18 inches. Snow removal equipment? Dodge 2500 HD with a plow. 6 hp snowblower?!? Please! This is MAN's country (at least that's what my wife says)!

Want to swing over the river and do our driveway?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There's a whiole lotta snow headin our way.

Updated as of a couple hours ago.

Oh yeah, this will suck.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #38
henry296
College Starter

Too bad the football game isn't in Foxboro tomorrow
Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

that would be funny..

Pittsburgh's getting 4+ inches today I think
Old 01-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #40
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I LOVE snow. Bring it on.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #41
McSweeny
College Starter

it started coming down really heavy here. Up to two feet of snow. Should be a blast
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #42
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Hey RPI-Fan,

Sorry. I'm actually up in Northville. Wish I could help, but I think I'll have plenty to do up here.

Enjoy! It's bad up here, and it's probably worse down by you. You gotta love it!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

here comes the snow...duh nuh nuh here comes the snow...it's alright...duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh. (crappy beatles reference).

doesn't seem like anything too horrible yet, I gather this is going to be one of those "bad because of the duration not the intensity" type of storms.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

overnight we're supposed to see 3-4" of snow an hour, sideways snow (gusts up to 60 MPH wind) and drifts of 6 feet plus
Old 01-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

which means me...snowblowing all night apparently. or so i've been told. Ugh. Ever tried getting up the enthusiasm to snowblow at midnight? It's not fun. Not fun at all.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #46
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
which means me...snowblowing all night apparently. or so i've been told. Ugh. Ever tried getting up the enthusiasm to snowblow at midnight? It's not fun. Not fun at all.

why would you snowblow at midnight? unless you work at 1am, I don't see the need, let it all fall and do it once

FM
Old 01-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm not sure I understand the need either. But I was told that that's what I have to do (hazards of still living at home). I guess the thinking is that that way it won't ever get TOO high and it will be slightly easier each time.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #48
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
why would you snowblow at midnight? unless you work at 1am, I don't see the need, let it all fall and do it once

FM

If you don't have a fancy new one with a huge blade, as in my case, doing it when it gets higher than the top of the blower is a pain in the ass. So if you do the first 8 inches, and then the next 8, it's much easier and faster than 16" at the same time.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #49
RailsFS
Mascot

I feel for you guys, I've got about 11 inches right now, but luckily it looks like its stopping. On the plus side, hopefully the games tomm will be nice and snowy. Too bad theyve got the damn fields heated, so instead of (hopefully) classic games, there will most likely be wet conditions and sloppy execution.
RailsFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #50
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan