Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Career Advice Needed

I need a bit of guidance on what type of jobs are available for someone a math degree. I am eventually planning to teach, but I am eligible to graduate in May with the math degree. In order to become permanently certified I need a 34 credit sequence in education, so I most likely would not be able to teach in public schools with just the degree in math. I can possibly graduate in December with the education portion of the degree done(that is assuming I cram about 18 credits over the summer), but I'm not making any money being a full time student. Anyway, I've been told to look into actuary work or risk assessment, but I know there is a lot of training attached to those jobs (actuarial work requires 10 oir so tests) and I don't want to spend time training for a job I'm probably only going to have for 2-3 years.

So, I guess, I stay in school and finish the education or I graduate with the math degree. My question is, is it worth it to graduate early? Will I find a job?

Last edited by jetpunk2000 : 01-20-2005 at 12:06 PM.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
henry296
College Starter

My fiancee has a math degree and teaches without being certified. It is very difficult to find a job in a public school, but private schools don't require certification.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Math is a good degree if you want to do finance etc as well- you have to have some degree of intelligence, unlike many a business degree out there. But are you only interested in teaching ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
thealmighty
Pro Starter

jetpunk, I know nothing about where you are, but I am a HS math teacher and, at least in Dallas (where I am), they have Alternative Certification plans.

Basically, you get hired with a Deficiency Plan, which gives you so many years to get all your needed hours and certification. You take classes and go to training while teaching.

Also, I don;t know about where henry is, but around here (unless you are an idiot at the interview- or one of the people in the Teacher Sex thread), it is easy to find a spot, relatively, as math is one of the subjects with a shortage- and therefore an extra stipend each year.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

With the job market as crappy as it is and interest rates so low, unless you are feeling a real push to get out, I would finish up the education degree, as well.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
lurker
High School JV

I graduated with a math degree and I'm an actuary now -- well, technically an actuarial student or an actuarial anaylst since you're not fully certified until you pass all your exams. It might not be a bad idea to do that for a few years if you really want money now. True, there are a lot of exams that you have to take twice a year, and they're insanely difficult (they recommend studying at least 300 hours per exam and the first one alone covers three semesters of Calculus, linear algebra, and diff eq) but most companies give you some study time for it, and raises and bonuses for passing. Also, you could just take the exams without really studying or expecting to pass since you don't want to do this forever. There's no need to tell your employer that you're not going to take all the exams. People move around a lot in this profession, so it's not like you'd owe them any loyalty if you left before finishing.

You also might want to consider tutoring while you're going to school -- could make good money doing that.

Last edited by lurker : 01-24-2005 at 12:10 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Tutoring is for junk money here at school. I think it's $6.50/hr, with a book of restrictions on what you can do. That's through the school however, privately may be harder to get into, but easier to do.

I know my "big" finance professor just loves you guys...he's all about mathmatics...you don't know anything until you can show it mathmatically...If you asked him, he'd tell you to get your PhD in Finance/Statistics and hit the street making $500k per year... That'd be his theory anyway
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
lurker
High School JV

Wow. When I was a freshman 8 years ago I tutored through the college and I made that much (around 6 or 7 bucks). Upperclassmen and people who had already graduated that were tutoring privately were making around $25 an hour.

Last edited by lurker : 01-24-2005 at 05:08 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I tutored people privately at USC about 12 years ago for 20/hr. I can't believe you would only get 6.50 for tutoring.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Geez...I had no idea. Yeah, I was a finance tutor last semester, and that's what we made. It was a real pain in the ass. The system that is set up has everybody going through the school to get tutoring. To my knowledge, there isn't an independent system set up. I could easily be wrong. Again, only my experience here at Miami.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote