Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Joe
Pro Starter

Alex Smith, #1 pick?

Just read Mel Kiper's first mock draft, and he has the 49ers taking Smith at #1. I thought a lot of people were doubting if he was even a first round pick?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'd rather have Kyle Orton
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
ShaefIllini
Mascot

and from the 'useless information' sector, both the first and last pick of the mock first round are named 'Alex Smith'

Last edited by ShaefIllini : 01-18-2005 at 11:26 PM.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Kiper feels that Rodgers and Smith are pretty much even in the physical attributes. Only difference to favor Smith is his 2 in. height advantage and his intelligence. Kiper is not the only draft related place that has Alex Smith that high.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Kiper feels that Rodgers and Smith are pretty much even in the physical attributes. Only difference to favor Smith is his 2 in. height advantage and his intelligence. Kiper is not the only draft related place that has Alex Smith that high.

Not surprised at all by this, I can see him going #1 also.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

It's Alex, not Brad right?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #7
kingfc22
Head Coach

Please NO. Now that Leinhart is staying, the Niners should trade down to 2-10 and get some extra picks. It's not like this draft has anybody that is so great that they are above the rest. I'd be happy with anybody in the top 10 in this draft and extra picks to help fill the mountain of holes that the team has.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd put him above any other QBs in the draft, though I'm surprised Kiper did. After he declared I didn't expect him to be considered the top QB.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 AM   #9
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Stefan Lefors is rapidly sneaking his way up the qb rankings for this draft

i wouldn't be shocked to see him be a day 1 selection
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 AM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Please NO. Now that Leinhart is staying, the Niners should trade down to 2-10 and get some extra picks. It's not like this draft has anybody that is so great that they are above the rest. I'd be happy with anybody in the top 10 in this draft and extra picks to help fill the mountain of holes that the team has.

This is not a slam but I read the exact same thoughts on the Buccaneer boards and the exact same logic is used.

What makes people think that even with a first round that has no one jump out at you there's going to be eager teams waiting to lose picks and trade up to pay a guy even more than they'd have to if they waited and either got their guy or a similar talent in any case? It doesn't make sense. Teams trade up to get players they need and that do stand out and if those players aren't there they are going to stick with where they're at.

Some guys even said there are ALWAYS teams you can trade with if you want to move down. It strikes me as absurd.

Shrug.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:22 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm waiting to see where Marion Barber winds up. I'm shocked that he left after this year, with the solid crop of runningbacks in this years draft and the fact he probably could have used another year after having several disappointing outtings this season.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 AM   #12
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
I'm waiting to see where Marion Barber winds up. I'm shocked that he left after this year, with the solid crop of runningbacks in this years draft and the fact he probably could have used another year after having several disappointing outtings this season.

Could it be that he saw the writing on the wall that Maroney was going to become an even bigger part of the offense? If his carries were going to be cut, I can understand him leaving early.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 AM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaefIllini
Could it be that he saw the writing on the wall that Maroney was going to become an even bigger part of the offense? If his carries were going to be cut, I can understand him leaving early.

I doubt it. Barber got 37 carries in the Music City Bowl, and it was after the bowl game that he decided to declare (before the game he said he was planning on staying). I'd expect he would have been Mason's top option, though only slightly as it's likely they would have split much as they did this year.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:10 AM   #14
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think Marion Barber and Eric Shelton had the same agent...

But Micheal Bush was gonna get the most carries next season anyway.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
This is not a slam but I read the exact same thoughts on the Buccaneer boards and the exact same logic is used.

What makes people think that even with a first round that has no one jump out at you there's going to be eager teams waiting to lose picks and trade up to pay a guy even more than they'd have to if they waited and either got their guy or a similar talent in any case? It doesn't make sense. Teams trade up to get players they need and that do stand out and if those players aren't there they are going to stick with where they're at.

Some guys even said there are ALWAYS teams you can trade with if you want to move down. It strikes me as absurd.

Shrug.

Exactly.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon

Shrug.

I completely agree with your logic. But remember...once the combine begins and players get "hot," teams can do crazy things. Dewayne Robertson was a top 15-20 pick after the season. Then, after a monster combine, he became - I believe - the #2 pick, a guy the Jets traded up to get.

I don't see any reason that the same thing can't happen this year. Maybe someone wants to get ahead of the Dolphins to get Benson if he's really impressive in the combine/interviews.

And no, I'm not just saying this as a desperate Niner fan hoping they can trade down .
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There is a lot of time between now and the draft, but at this point, this looks like one of the worst years in recent memory to have the #1 overall pick. No one is worth taking and paying at that level, and no one will sell the farm to trade up with you.

SF better hope that someone has a really great combine.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #18
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, this is looking like an awful draft- Im hoping someone blows them away and we have Dwayne Robertson/Mike Mamula/ Philip Rivers situation - and the Niners can fill their various holes..
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #19
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

My guess is that Barber thinks Maroney will come out next season and didn't want to be in the same draft class since Maroney is generally considered the better pro prospect.

Judging by how running backs have slid in the draft in recent years, I suspect Barber will be a 3rd or 4th rounder unless he can put up a 4.45 40 or better.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #20
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I don't know anything about this Maroney guy, but he may have been concerned about future drafts and the amount of RB talent that will be comming out next year.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:19 AM   #21
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

If the're pretty much even, why wouldn't SF take the local boy in Rodgers? Since there's a large California Alumni base in SF, at least it would create some local buzz which they probably desparately need.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #22
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Don't know. The above was what Kiper said on ESPNEWS for why he ranks Smith ahead of Rodgers.

Maybe he's prediciting the 49ers think Smith is better sabermetrically.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Of course, the one season that Miami has a high draft pick in the last two decades turns out to be a weak crop...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #24
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Of course, the one season that Miami has a high draft pick in the last two decades turns out to be a weak crop...

Don't worry, they'll probably get another one next year.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:48 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

I honestly expect them to get back to around 8-8 next season.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #26
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

Well, I think there are two good QBs and two good RBs at the top.

I think this is a better year to get the second QB than when, say, Joey Harrington or Akili Smith were picked. Or a better year to get the #2 RB than when *COUGH* Ricky Williams was there.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #27
Bomber
High School Varsity

Don't kid yourself Rodgers and Smith are going to both bomb worse than Harrington and Akili.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #28
bhlloy
Coordinator

While not going as far as saying both will definitely bomb, both are certainly miles from a sure thing. I wouldn't touch either of them at number 1. I wouldn't take a running back there either. Definitely a hard draft to be at the top of... last year if you didn't like Manning or Rivers there was always Gallery or Fitzgerald. Safest thing in this years draft looks to be the TE Miller but can you really take a TE in the top couple of picks?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 PM   #29
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
Don't kid yourself Rodgers and Smith are going to both bomb worse than Harrington and Akili.

I think Rodgers is going to be a good NFL QB, but probably not great.

Each only has to last more than 3 years in the league to surpass Akili's career. I think both are slam dunks to do so.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #30
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Is Akili still on some team's roster? I dont seem to remember him ever playing.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #31
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Heath Miller is the next Kyle Brady.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What a horrible draft on paper to have #1. The 49ers won't even be able to trade the pick.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think that one (or more) of the big three RBs will have a great workout session and push themselves to the top.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i'd say the only sure thing is derrick johnson. i think he's going to be a beast.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #35
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

mike williams coming out? he seems pretty close to a sure thing to me.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #36
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
If the're pretty much even, why wouldn't SF take the local boy in Rodgers? Since there's a large California Alumni base in SF, at least it would create some local buzz which they probably desparately need.

Buzz here in the bay area is that Rodgers is really 6'0 200 and not 6'2" 220 and that once he gets to the combine and they get the real measurements on him his stock will drop considerably.

49ers are starting to remind me of the Warriors, poorly managed AND unlucky!

This appears to be one of the weakest drafts ever for #1 overall, kind of like when the W's drafted Joe Smith #1 overall a couple years back.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

if I am the Niners and I cannot trade, I'd draft Derrick Johnson, Mike Williams or Antrel Rolle. Those three are probably the best three in my opinion
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #38
AgustusM
College Prospect

I think Rolle is the way to go, they are very bad in the secondary- the OL is so bad that any offensive player they draft will struggle, best ot try and go dominant defense and rebuild the OL in the rest of the draft.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #39
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I've always been curious, what makes a "weak draft"? I know you have players who don't have the complete skills in this draft, but does it make them crappier? They make not be "as-ready", but they still have talented. Players will bust, and some will flourish. It's all about good scouting, and finding the right players for the right teams.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #40
jamesUMD
High School JV

Unfortunately, with Dan Snyder @ the Redskin's helm in the draft, you can count on having someone that will trade up for even marginal talent!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #41
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If I'm Frisco's GM, I wait til later and get Charlie Frye. Mike Williams would be my pick.. or maybe Rolle. I think Rattay would be a better qb with some talent around him.. No need to draft one at No. 1 in my opinion.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #42
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
If I'm Frisco's GM, I wait til later and get Charlie Frye. Mike Williams would be my pick.. or maybe Rolle. I think Rattay would be a better qb with some talent around him.. No need to draft one at No. 1 in my opinion.

I'd have a hard time going with Williams over Braylon Edwards. And I've also seen most rankings have Pac-Man Jones over Rolle.

Personally if I were picking number 1 I'd probably strongly consider Derrick Johnson.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 PM   #43
clintl
College Starter

The 49ers need an OL more than they need a QB.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #44
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
The 49ers need an OL more than they need a QB.

If that is their top target, they'd do best trading down from #1. There doesn't seem to be an offensive lineman worth taking nearly that high this season.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #45
clintl
College Starter

I agree - if they can. If they draft Smith or Rodgers, they had better not play them until they get someone who can block, though.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #46
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesUMD
Unfortunately, with Dan Snyder @ the Redskin's helm in the draft, you can count on having someone that will trade up for even marginal talent!

when have we ever done that???

Joe Gibbs wanted Chris Cooley last draft, not Snydur. I thought it was stupied giving away a second round pick for a 3rd rounder, but i didn't blame Dan for it.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #47
Swaggs
Coordinator

Watch out for the Pac-Man!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #48
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Since when did football savvy folks like us start taking Mel Kuiper this seriously?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #49
Cuckoo
College Starter

Does anyone have the full list? I'd be curious to see who he has the Cowboys taking at 11 and 20.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #50
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Does anyone have the full list? I'd be curious to see who he has the Cowboys taking at 11 and 20.

11. Dallas Cowboys: Shawne Merriman (jr.), DE/OLB, Maryland
A workout warrior with incredible physical skills, Merriman would be an ideal end/linebacker combo in a 3-4 scheme.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from BUF): Troy Williamson (jr.), WR, South Carolina
The fastest wideout in the draft, Williamson would be a great help to a team that lacked a consistent vertical threat.