Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

"24" Angers muslims

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...en_tv_eo/15718

It's a TV SHOW.. jeez, it doesn't make me think the muslim family down the straight is a sleeper cell, and that i should go rambo on them or anything

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

i think it's kind of bold that they actually have muslim extremists as the terrorists. In this day and age it seems you have to be PC and have the enemy be from "Blogavia" or someplace fictional.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
JeffNights
College Prospect

Boo-Hoo...oh fucking well.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
i think it's kind of bold that they actually have muslim extremists as the terrorists. In this day and age it seems you have to be PC and have the enemy be from "Blogavia" or someplace fictional.

Agreed.

I didn't even know that about the show... never seen it. Maybe now I'll have to watch.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That's as bad as som Italian-American groups complaining about The Sopranos.

Or maybe they're just pissed off that we're on to them.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Do you think the Christian body would be up in arms if for some reason Jack Bower was trying to stop christian extremists blowing up a mosque or something?
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Do you think the Christian body would be up in arms if for some reason Jack Bower was trying to stop christian extremists blowing up a mosque or something?

There probably would be *some* Christian organizations up in arms if that was the case. But then we be making fun of them now.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Probably not, its television.. its not supposed to be real.. kinda like dan rather news reports
Old 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I guess it's easier to get upset at the people who make TV shows about it instead of the people who are the reason they make TV shows about it?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Quote:
I guess it's easier to get upset at the people who make TV shows about it instead of the people who are the reason they make TV shows about it?

Mibbe.

I think its kind of sad that all I see wrt Islam these days is either the militant stereotype or the up in arms at seeing militant stereotype stereotype.

That said, I wouldnt have a problem with 24 in this case. Its TV, its fictional. I wouldnt have a problem, with muslim, sikh, hindu, christian or PETA style extremists being depicted on TV.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I can see it all now

Jack Bauer races against time to save the presidents dog from a sleeper cell of PETA extremists
Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
Yossarian
High School Varsity

"He had a BLT for lunch.. GET HIM!"
Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Don't be silly. That would be like Jews getting angry over someone doing a movie about them killing Jesus.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #14
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

Got to agree some. I have been waiting for thi to happen since I saw the first episode of the season (and the only one I probably will see unfortunetly).

Nobody ever had a problem with the Russians as bad guys.....but they are white so I guess that was ok.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That's actually brilliant... when the teenage son has his inevitably heroic moment on the show, these groups can claim that it was there pressure that made it happen.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
Boo-Hoo...oh fucking well.

Damn. You beat me to it.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I just think it's funny that the Office of Homeland Security probably will be reading this post because it says that earlier this season Muhsin Muhammad was the receiver of a bomb from Jake Delhomme.

As far as those crybaby muslims bitching about the show "24," maybe they should have been shown outrage toward the muslims who killed 3000 people on September 11, 2001.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Quote:
As far as those crybaby muslims bitching about the show "24," maybe they should have been shown outrage toward the muslims who killed 3000 people on September 11, 2001.

Man alive that's an inflammatory statement!

Anyone who thought the sept 11 was 'good' in any way is pretty damn evil. But I can say pretty confidently that the majority of American Muslims dont fall in that camp. I dont have stats, i dont know any american muslims but dont tar everyone with that brush.

Extremists are the problem, in ALL branches of theology and beliefs.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #19
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
I just think it's funny that the Office of Homeland Security probably will be reading this post because it says that earlier this season Muhsin Muhammad was the receiver of a bomb from Jake Delhomme.

Wow - just when I thought the Redneck Dumbass Quotient at this board was as high as it could be, this is impressive. Clearly, according to this kind of idiocy, all 1 billion plus Muslims (fastest growing religion in the world btw) think with one mind. Jackass.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yeah! And all southerners are dumbasses!

Oh wait....
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Yeah! And all southerners are dumbasses!

Oh wait....

Not really, I was simply making the point that if you want to tar with brushes...

And I refered to a very specific attribute of some people Dutch. For example, people like you who think Homosexuality and Beastiality are comparable are Homophobes - in that case, its a group based on the characteristics or views you've exhibited. I define redneck as a characteristic and view based group, not a racial one.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 01-17-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #22
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Wow - just when I thought the Redneck Dumbass Quotient at this board was as high as it could be, this is impressive. Clearly, according to this kind of idiocy, all 1 billion plus Muslims (fastest growing religion in the world btw) think with one mind. Jackass.

Speaking of idiocy... Who said that I was accusing "1 billion plus Muslims" of thinking like minded. My comment was regarding those who want to scream about a stupid tv show is against them, but they have nothing to say about Osama Bin Laden, whether it be out of fear or whatever.

As far as your "Redneck Dumbass Jackass," Comments... your opinion of me is much higher than mine of you.

salaam aleichem
Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #23
JimboJ
High School Varsity

It seems to me, if you're going to do a show about terrorism and you want it to be realistic, then muslims are going to have to pop up on there every so often.

What are you going to have Amish extremist terror cells??
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #24
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
"He had a BLT for lunch.. GET HIM!"

Classic
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:23 PM   #25
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As far as Redneck Dumbass goes.....I don't think Big John is adding to anything like that. I generally consider him a NY Lib, as much a blue stater as just about any around this place.

I don't think John is claiming that All muslims were celebrating in the streets on 9/11like those now infamous Palestinian shopkeepers. I believe his point is that before complaining about others portraying some muslims as terrorists, they should be complaining about the radical terror friendly partisans in their religion.

If there weren't radical muslim terrorists in reality, there would be as much need to portray muslim terrorists in works of fiction as there is now to portray, for example, Sweedish Radical Terrorists.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

Someone was offended by a TV show? Never heard of anyone doing that
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Not really, I was simply making the point that if you want to tar with brushes...

And I refered to a very specific attribute of some people Dutch. For example, people like you who think Homosexuality and Beastiality are comparable are Homophobes - in that case, its a group based on the characteristics or views you've exhibited. I define redneck as a characteristic and view based group, not a racial one.

Must resist urge to argue back in attempted threadjack....

Look, I dig myself into deep enough holes arguing some of that stuff, but at least let me instigate it and be in an ornery enough mood to fight my way out.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:47 PM   #28
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
As soon as we started watching this seasons showes I commented to radii that I was suprised they made the "enemy" arabic/muslim because of current events. But it is fiction...however I also see the point of the non-extremist muslims who would never be a part of any terrorist activity feeling that "one bad apple is ruining the whole bunch". (note: this is a figure of speech and I know there is more than one muslim/arabic extremist out there so please don't post about that).

I am fairly confident that the majority of Muslim-Americans are peace loving and have no interest in being a part of anything terroristic...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #29
Klinglerware
College Starter

People getting offended by what they hear and see (and trying to do something about it) is the American way. There wasn't so much outrage over the prissy right's use of the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction to successfully push it's agenda (for example, managing to push Stern off of commercial radio, etc).

Everyone offended by people getting offended should just get over it, people from all over the political/ethnic/etc spectrum complain. I'd say that the next offended group could either be The Family Research Council or another "oppressed minority"--the probability is just about an even split...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 01-17-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

I just wish the muslims and rednecks and homosexuals had as thick a skin as those Blogavians. Do you ever here them bitch?

No.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
People getting offended by what they hear and see (and trying to do something about it) is the American way. There wasn't so much outrage over the prissy right's use of the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction to successfully push it's agenda (for example, managing to push Stern off of commercial radio, etc).

I wasn't offended by the wardrobe malfunction myself. I was offended that it was Janet Jackson...ugh.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
I wasn't offended by the wardrobe malfunction myself. I was offended that it was Janet Jackson...ugh.

CR

I have to agree. If she had the malfunction in 1986...well...
Old 01-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #33
Ragone
Pro Rookie

That wasn't a malfunction.. factor in the theme of the song going on.. with her waning career.. she wanted attention.. however i do not believe they(being mtv/superbowl half time producers) planned it.. i think it was between janet jackson and justin timberlake..
Old 01-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #34
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Everyone offended by people getting offended should just get over it, people from all over the political/ethnic/etc spectrum complain.

The problem is that even though a small number of people get offended, they get all the press, and the next thing you know, network executives are making decisions on what is suitable for broadcast based on the opinions of this vocal minority.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #35
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Damn. You beat me to it.

Me too. Stupid PC bullshit. Grow up people.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #36
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's not that they're the fastest growing as much as the fact that they're killing all the competition.

/ducks and runs

Honestly, and I had a longer post on this just wiped out do to Mozilla being a super crappy browser, I think any group that doesn't self police at a much higher rate than they are externally policed deserves the stereotype they earn.

If you are truly against terrorism, kick terrorists out. Turn them in.

If you are truly against steriod users in your sport, kick them out. Turn them in.

If you are truly against abortion clinic bombers, kick them out. Turn them in.

If you are truly against [anything], kick them out. Turn them in.

When you don't, then you're not really against them. You can't be Joe PC and then rely on the Jesseps in your organization to do the dirty work and expect to look all squeeky clean. That's hypocritical.

I hold all these other groups and myself to this standard so why on earth should I treat the muslims any different?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #37
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
The problem is that even though a small number of people get offended, they get all the press, and the next thing you know, network executives are making decisions on what is suitable for broadcast based on the opinions of this vocal minority.

But the problem is that some of these groups--like many of the more conservative "family" groups are extremely well organized, they'll launch complaints against anything and everything. I don't think you'll get them to pipe down anytime soon...
Old 01-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #38
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Probably not, its television.. its not supposed to be real.. kinda like dan rather news reports
A nominee for QOTY.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #39
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
It's not that they're the fastest growing as much as the fact that they're killing all the competition.

/ducks and runs

Honestly, and I had a longer post on this just wiped out do to Mozilla being a super crappy browser, I think any group that doesn't self police at a much higher rate than they are externally policed deserves the stereotype they earn.

If you are truly against terrorism, kick terrorists out. Turn them in.

If you are truly against steriod users in your sport, kick them out. Turn them in.

If you are truly against abortion clinic bombers, kick them out. Turn them in.

When you don't, then you're not really against them. You can't be Joe PC and then rely on the Jesseps in your organization to do the dirty work and expect to look all squeeky clean. That's hypocritical.

I hold all these other groups and myself to this standard so why on earth should I treat the muslims any different?

Apples and oranges. Yeah if I am a part of a radical christinan group then I should feel responsible for abortion bombings of my peers. But as a Catholic you are making me responsible for the actions of the IRA? That seems to be the analogy you are trying to draw between about 500 baseball players and steriod users and over a billion Muslims and terrorists. I guess I don't see the connection.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #40
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon

I'm truly against this forced return to prudishness in the American media. I really wish I could kick these guys out (the FCC, FRC, frightened network execs). The nets aren't going to listen to some aggrieved Muslim rights group, but they will listen to the conservative groups--since they have the ears of those in the corridors of power. The nets are very afraid of the FCC, and it sucks for the rest of us.

Fox Blurs Cartoon Rear End on FCC Worries

Fox says it covered up the naked rear end of a cartoon character recently because of nervousness over what the Federal Communications Commission will find objectionable.

The latest example of TV network self-censorship because of FCC concerns came a few weeks ago during a rerun of a "Family Guy" cartoon. Fox electronically blurred a character's posterior, even though the image was seen five years ago when the episode originally aired.

"We have to be checking and second-guessing ourselves now," Fox entertainment president Gail Berman said Monday. "We have to protect our affiliates."

Fox hadn't gotten any complaints about the cartoon. But the move follows the FCC's decision in October to fine 169 Fox stations $7,000 each for airing an episode of "Married By America" that showed people licking whipped cream from strippers' bodies and a man in his underwear being spanked by strippers.

"It's certainly confusing when you have to do something like that," Berman said. "It's just that we were trying to find our way and do what's responsible."

At PBS, executives said this weekend they will edit out a glimpse of a naked woman in a fictional account of a terrorist "dirty bomb" attack that will air next month after being shown first on HBO.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 01-18-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #41
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm truly against this forced return to prudishness in the American media. I really wish I could kick these guys out (the FCC, FRC, frightened network execs). The nets aren't going to listen to some aggrieved Muslim rights group, but they will listen to the conservative groups--since they have the ears of those in the corridors of power. The nets are very afraid of the FCC, and it sucks for the rest of us.

I think the main problem is that conservative politicians are buying into the media's conclusion that the last election was a "Christian value mandate". I have quite a few Republican friends who listen to Howard Stern, enjoy strip clubs, etc. They just like the Republican viewpoints on national security and money. IMO the ultimate downfall of the Republicans is going to come if they believe their support base is mostly these extreme right-wing Christinan groups and keep appeasing groups that were outraged by TO and Janet Jackson.

In the mean time I will just watch HBO and listen to Sirius radio, because censored or not network TV and local FM radio sucks.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
What are you going to have Amish extremist terror cells??

There's some "drive-by barn raising" joke to be had here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I just wish the muslims and rednecks and homosexuals had as thick a skin as those Blogavians. Do you ever here them bitch?

No.

Classic, Dutch

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote