Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Yep. The Colts. Sure. Uh huh...

Am I the only one here who is laughing my ass off? The best thing for Peyton Manning's career would be to tear the roof off the RCA Dump right now and allow him to get used to playing outdoors in the real world. So he only throws for 45 TD's... Aww, too bad. Maybe he wins a championship though...

BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Dan Marino incarnate
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Man, whats up with your hatred of peyton manning? did he impregnate your sister or something?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Man, whats up with your hatred of peyton manning? did he impregnate your sister or something?

He probably just exposed himself to her.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
He probably just exposed himself to her.

Woh there rocky top
Old 01-16-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

He didn't lose this game for the Colts.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
He didn't lose this game for the Colts.

Todd

he didn't win it for them either
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
he didn't win it for them either

Maybe that's why it's a team game? I saw so many dropped passes today, the weather was definitly a factor for the Colts, although it didn't seem to affect the Patriots.

Todd
Old 01-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #9
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Maybe that's why it's a team game? I saw so many dropped passes today, the weather was definitly a factor for the Colts, although it didn't seem to affect the Patriots.

Todd

Hmmm... Could that have had something to do with my original statement?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

He's an accountant, and Peyton picked Tommy as his favorite, not BigJohn.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 01-16-2005 at 07:12 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Lets go Insurance adjusters, lets go!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

One word: C-H-O-K-E!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Dan Marino incarnate

Did anyone else catch Boomer Esiason's comment about Manning being the new Marino and then trying to explain it? I would rank that as most uncomfortable NFL Today moment of the year.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
One word: C-H-O-K-E!

Yeah, but he didn't choke. He played an average game. His recievers dropped balls and his defense was on the field way, way to long. That and they can't run the ball, so you really can't say it was on his shoulders for the loss. Well you can, but I don't see that as being realistic.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Yeah, but he didn't choke. He played an average game. His recievers dropped balls and his defense was on the field way, way to long. That and they can't run the ball, so you really can't say it was on his shoulders for the loss. Well you can, but I don't see that as being realistic.

Pretty much my thoughts.

In no way do I want to take anything away from the Patriots, they played their asses off and deserved the W. I hope they kick the crap out of the Steelers next week.

Todd
Old 01-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty much my thoughts.

Mine too.

Which is why my immediate & opposite reaction to something else you said really jumped out at me:

Quote:
I hope they kick the crap out of the Steelers next week.

Whereas I hope the Steelers beat them by 100 points.

Go figure.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Personally, I think we were all seeing one of the greatest QBs in NFL history today in Foxboro.

He wears #12.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Personally, I think we were all seeing one of the greatest QBs in NFL history today in Foxboro.

He wears #12.

I have been saying that since he led them to the playoffs last season. I think that he is the next John Elway type of clutch superstar.

Like Steam?

Old 01-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #19
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I think he's more Joe Montana than John Elway.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #20
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Didn't Elway have nothing to show for until very late in his career?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Didn't Elway have nothing to show for until very late in his career?

Yeah, but in the clutch, when you needed it, I would take Elway over any other QB in the NFL.

Like Steam?

Old 01-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #22
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Did anyone else catch Boomer Esiason's comment about Manning being the new Marino and then trying to explain it? I would rank that as most uncomfortable NFL Today moment of the year.
Great, great moment, especially considering it came from Esiason, not exactly Joe Montana in his own right. Marino looked like he wanted to punch Boomer, then came back with the "at least I made it to a Super Bowl" comment. Later it seemed like every reason Marino gave for why Manning struggled (defense didn't step up, had no running game) was also trying to defend himself as well (as in I had Bernie Parmalee at RB, what'd you expect?)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Manning -> Marino: Great Talent, Great Ability, but for some reason can't win the big one.
Brady -> Montana: Not flashy, but all he does is win.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Florida in the Swamp all over again.....
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #25
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Marino looked like he wanted to punch Boomer, then came back with the "at least I made it to a Super Bowl" comment.

Didn't Esiason quarterback the Bengals in the '89 Super Bowl?
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #26
33sherman
Mascot

It sure wasn't all Manning's fault that the Colts lost, but the Colts never even threatened in this game. Even when it was 6-0 it felt like they were getting creamed. I can't believe they couldn't get even big play on any side of the ball.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #27
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Yeah, but in the clutch, when you needed it, I would take Elway over any other QB in the NFL.

You can have Elway as long as I can have Montana.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #28
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Pretty much my thoughts.

In no way do I want to take anything away from the Patriots, they played their asses off and deserved the W. I hope they kick the crap out of the Steelers next week.

Todd

This is exactly what I am talking about. The Rams a few years back were a rarity. Their championship win is the ONLY time a team that plays in a dome has won a title. The "Dirty Bird" Falcons were the 1st dome team to get to the big dance. Dome teams are at an extreme disadvantage when forced to play outside in the elements. The traction that they're used to is not there. The ball is affected ever so slightly by little things like barometric pressure, heat, cold , humidity, rain, snow, and sleet. Last year the Colts were fortunate to play in almost perfect weather in Kansas City. The past few playoff games they have played in New England are proof that a team that is as dangerous as the Colts are can be thrown off by palying in conditions they are not used to. If they played in an outdoor venue the entire team would be used to playing in weather and would be more likely to play better when playing outdoors on the road.

It is likely that if Peyton Manning makes it to a Super Bowl while playing in a dome it is if they play all of thier playoff games in domes. This game proves that the odds are heavily stacked in the favor of a home team playing outdoors, when facing a dome team...
Old 01-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #29
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs

Yes, although he did not have a particularly good game.

11-25 144 TD 0 INT 1
temley06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
This game proves that the odds are heavily stacked in the favor of a home team playing outdoors, when facing a dome team...
I disagree. This game doesn't prove that. All this game proves is that the Patriots this year (or if you want to break it down so far as to say this week then that's fine) are/were (whatever tense is appropriate) a better team than the Colts.

The following is not directed at anyone in particular, more at the legions of commentators/fans/etc. that always seem to have excuses...

Jeezus...the Patriots played 60 minutes of AMAZING football. They almost completly shutout the 5th highest scoring offense in NFL history. Can we stop crediting that to the weather and start giving credit to the players who damn sure deserve it!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-16-2005 at 10:12 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:19 PM   #31
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

When was the last time the Patriots got credit for any win. I don't think it will ever happen.

When they lose I'm sure plenty of credit will be given to the opposing team though.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #32
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is exactly what I am talking about. The Rams a few years back were a rarity. Their championship win is the ONLY time a team that plays in a dome has won a title. The "Dirty Bird" Falcons were the 1st dome team to get to the big dance. Dome teams are at an extreme disadvantage when forced to play outside in the elements. The traction that they're used to is not there. The ball is affected ever so slightly by little things like barometric pressure, heat, cold , humidity, rain, snow, and sleet. Last year the Colts were fortunate to play in almost perfect weather in Kansas City. The past few playoff games they have played in New England are proof that a team that is as dangerous as the Colts are can be thrown off by palying in conditions they are not used to. If they played in an outdoor venue the entire team would be used to playing in weather and would be more likely to play better when playing outdoors on the road.

It is likely that if Peyton Manning makes it to a Super Bowl while playing in a dome it is if they play all of thier playoff games in domes. This game proves that the odds are heavily stacked in the favor of a home team playing outdoors, when facing a dome team...
The Dome teams can't play in the elements arguments always crack me up. NO ONE plays well at Foxsboro right now. The Pats have won 20 straight games at home. A lot of those wins came over non-dome teams. You can't put that just on the fact that the Colts play in a Dome.

It is also funny to me that people continually point out that only two dome teams have ever made it to the superbowl. They always talk about it like it is some sort of proof that Dome teams just don't have what it takes. However they never bring up the fact that as right now there are only 8 teams that play in a dome. A little history on the Domes:

Colts - Didn't start playing in the RCA Dome until 1984
Falcons - Didn't start playing in the Georgia Dome until 1993
Rams - Didn;t start playing in the Ed Jones Dome until 1996
Vikings - Didn't start playing in the Metrodome until 1982
Saints - Didn't start playing in the Superdomw until 1975

So until 1975 there were no dome teams. That means the first 8 superbowls couldn't have included a dome team. And until the Flacons moved into the Georgia dome in 1993 we had 26 superbowls with only 3 dome teams in the league. It ceratinly seems to me that the sheer lack of dome teams may have contributed to the absence of dome teams in the superbowl quite a bit more than their ability to play in the elements.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Lions in there, but my point remains the same.

Last edited by primelord : 01-16-2005 at 10:26 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs
I think you're right there, but the comment was directed at the comparison with Manning, who has not made the Super Bowl. Even if it wasn't, Esiason doesn't have the greatest track record compared to Marino.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 PM   #34
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Fine. Build domes for every team. Call pass interference whenever a defensive player comes near a receiver. Eliminate tackling. Let's make every team an indoor, touch football team wearing purple, black & teal.

Weather has no effect whatsoever on games... Whatever.

PS. Where did the Oilers play?

(Maybe if the AstroDOME was an outdoor venue with a grass field Earl Campbell hould still have knees and be able to walk like he wasn't 95 years old.)
Old 01-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #35
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope the Steelers crush the Patriots again. Their fans are becoming very annoying.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #36
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Fine. Build domes for every team. Call pass interference whenever a defensive player comes near a receiver. Eliminate tackling. Let's make every team an indoor, touch football team wearing purple, black & teal.

(Maybe if the AstroDOME was an outdoor venue with a grass field Earl Campbell hould still have knees and be able to walk like he wasn't 95 years old.)

I wasn't syaing I prefer domes. I just was saying I think it is silly when people keep bringing up the fact that only two dome teams have made the super bowl. The inference is always that dome teams are soft. That may even be the case, but the fact that only two teams have made it probably has far more to do with the fact that there are so few dometeams than anything else.

And as far as the Colts go, 20 straihgt times teams have failed to beat the Pats at Foxboro. So again it is hard to say that the fcat the Colts play in a dome had anything to do with the loss.

With that being said I prefer outdoor football on grass too.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I hope the Steelers crush the Patriots again. Their fans are becoming very annoying.

Agreed. I guess fans of any team become annoying asses when they have sustained success though.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #38
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think BigJohn is a Pats fan. It's just that a dome with astroturf raped his sister and killed his parents, and he's bitter.

And while the Steelers may beat the Pats, it won't be a blowout. Last time we ran the ball the fewest times in 71 years, and were down 21-3 7 minutes or so in after 2 big defensive plays, and the final still only ended up being a 2 TD win. With a healthy Dillon, plus, IMO, Bill Cowher teams constantly underperforming in the playoffs I'm leaning toward the Pats, but I'm a homer.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh, I agree. I think the Pats have a great chance of winning it all again this year. I just really, REALLY hope they don't. Like cthomer said, any team's fans become unbearable with too much success.

I'd rather see a new team experience a Super Bowl win. Preferably the Steelers.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #40
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I don't think BigJohn is a Pats fan. It's just that a dome with astroturf raped his sister and killed his parents, and he's bitter.

Close... I'm a Lions fan. When the Lions were building a new stadium downtown (which I love that the Detroit Lions actually play in DETROIT!) they had an opportunity to show that they care about winning. When Pittsburgh built a new stadium, they built outdoors. Philly did the same. New England, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago... all teams that talk about winning. All teams that play outdoors. Even the teams that have built or are planning on building new stadiums with roofs on them are going with retractable roofs.

The last dome that was built for a team was the Georgia dome, then the new era of staiums swept thru the league. What do the Lions build? A dome. Why? Because they want the facility to compete for other events during the offseason, and for the comfort of their fans. The second part is complete BS. The first... well, it just shows that the possibility of a few dollars from the occasional rock concert or tractor pull is more important than the football team. Could you immagine the Steelers Dome or the Patriot Dome? Nope. But those are teams that know what football is all about...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:16 AM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was really hoping that Manning would pull this game out, so that next week would be his Waterloo 2k5. Its *really* fucking cold in PA right now, and i believe expected to get colder.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 AM   #42
ctmason
High School JV

Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think I'm the only one who has read this thread that thinks you need to calm down and maybe not watch anymore football this season, or maybe next season either.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:57 AM   #43
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmason
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think I'm the only one who has read this thread that thinks you need to calm down and maybe not watch anymore football this season, or maybe next season either.

LOL!!!

Sorry if i seem a bit like I'm out on a ledge threatening to jump if another dome is built! I just split with my girlfriend a month ago... Guess I'm taking out frustration on things that annoy me in the game rather than the "old fashiond way." Funny how it's hard to rant when there's a naked woman in close proximity... I need to get laid.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:20 AM   #44
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I wasn't syaing I prefer domes. I just was saying I think it is silly when people keep bringing up the fact that only two dome teams have made the super bowl. The inference is always that dome teams are soft. That may even be the case, but the fact that only two teams have made it probably has far more to do with the fact that there are so few dometeams than anything else.

And as far as the Colts go, 20 straihgt times teams have failed to beat the Pats at Foxboro. So again it is hard to say that the fcat the Colts play in a dome had anything to do with the loss.

With that being said I prefer outdoor football on grass too.

I don't think domes have anything to do with it. What I do think is a factor is the inability of "warm weather" teams to consistently win in the elements. Dome teams qualify as warm weather teams. Tampa Bay was notorious for that until they won the Super Bowl. I remember some stat where they had never won in their entire team history, playoff or otherwise, when the temperature was below 42 degrees. See the Dolphins in Foxboro in December every year, which is why they switched the games up.

Anyone who ever played any kind of sport in adverse conditions, peewee football or whatever, knows that you adapt to your environment.

Last edited by Desnudo : 01-17-2005 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:24 AM   #45
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Agreed. I guess fans of any team become annoying asses when they have sustained success though.

What Patriots fan have you seen being an annoying ass on this board after the Colts game? If anything it was notable around here for the lack of taunting or any other kind of arrogance. Maybe you are mixing up desired perception with reality? (and possibly still resentful about the Angels?)

Last edited by Desnudo : 01-17-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #46
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

I smell a Yankees fan.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:03 AM   #47
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh, I agree. I think the Pats have a great chance of winning it all again this year. I just really, REALLY hope they don't. Like cthomer said, any team's fans become unbearable with too much success.

I'd rather see a new team experience a Super Bowl win. Preferably the Steelers.

What the steelers got like 5 Super Bowls, not this group of players. I would rather see the Eagles or even the Falcons.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:28 AM   #48
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
What the steelers got like 5 Super Bowls, not this group of players. I would rather see the Eagles or even the Falcons.

Falcons please!

In my entire life of football I have only gotten one super bowl experience to show for being a life long Falcons fan.. and that game is one that I half want to forget. After Saturday's game, I really feel better about this Falcons team, but the Eagles are tough with or without T.O. in there.. I don't know if the Falcons will pull this off or not, but I am definitly rooting for them..

Unfortunatly I have a feeling even if they got to the superbowl they won't have a great shot of winning. I think the Patriots or Steelers defenses both could shut down the Falcons (if the Eagles defense doesnt before hand).

Here's to hoping though!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:38 AM   #49
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:

or possibly teams having sustained success tend to gather a bunch of "bandwagon" fans who act like jerks giving fans of oppossing teams plenty of fodder for bashing the general fanbase?

-Pats fan since '77 (Would be earlier but I don't count years where diapers were involved. )
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #50
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Close... I'm a Lions fan. When the Lions were building a new stadium downtown (which I love that the Detroit Lions actually play in DETROIT!) they had an opportunity to show that they care about winning. When Pittsburgh built a new stadium, they built outdoors. Philly did the same. New England, Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago... all teams that talk about winning.
I was with you until Cincinnati.