Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
sooner333
College Starter

Home Wireless Network Question

Well, I'm transferring schools and instead of living on-campus with ethernet ports coming out of my ass, I'm moving in with a buddy in an off-campus place. He's already lived there for awhile, and he has cable internet. He has a desktop and just his computer plugged into the modem. I, on the other hand, have a laptop that I'd like to use in more than one place in the house (plus an Xbox for internet play). So, I've decided to get a wireless network for the house (and for later when I move out eventually).

Now, the problem is that I really don't know much about them other than they exist and I know a couple of people with them at their apartments and such. I know there are various speeds associated with the networks and for a higher transfer you need to spend more money. I don't know what is or isn't necessary for cable internet. I am a college student, so I am on a budget, but at the same time, I have some Christmas money left and I might as well make it right as I will be living with this connection for awhile.

So if any of you have any advice on what kind of product to get, etc. please let me know. Thanks guys.

sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Grab the following.

Linksys Wireless G router
Linksys Wireless G PCM card (if it's not already integrated into your laptop)

That's it.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You'd also need a wireless receiver for your X-Box. That would be a very nice setup, but more expensive than the 802.11b router, 802.11b Card for your laptop. However, if you can afford it, I do recommend the 802.11g as Sun Tzy mentioned.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Tasan
College Starter

Don't just grab the standard G, either get the a/g or super G because the range is a little iffy on b/g. I have a decent sized house and I couldn't get reception very good in certain places of the house. Super G and A/G both have greater range than just standard G.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

you roommate will also need a wireless card.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
you roommate will also need a wireless card.

He can always just plug into the router. He doesn't need a wireless card.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Is there way to get a router that provides both wireless connection and connection via a cable?

I am about to move into a new place. My PC doesn't have a wireless card, but I plan to get a card for my laptop or use my work laptop (which already has an intergrated wireless card) at home.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Tasan
College Starter

Most wireless routers have at least 4 "wired" ports on them in addition to the wireless connectivity. I know that this is the case for Linksys, Netgear, and DLink, imho the best home user routers out there.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
Most wireless routers have at least 4 "wired" ports on them in addition to the wireless connectivity. I know that this is the case for Linksys, Netgear, and DLink, imho the best home user routers out there.

Yep. Belkin as well.

A wireless router is basically a router + wireless capabilities. So it's probably a good investment if you think you'll go wireless with a machine at some point.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #10
Airhog
Captain Obvious

u learn something every day

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #11
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
You'd also need a wireless receiver for your X-Box. That would be a very nice setup, but more expensive than the 802.11b router, 802.11b Card for your laptop. However, if you can afford it, I do recommend the 802.11g as Sun Tzy mentioned.

So if I want to get a wireless reciever for my Xbox I need to get the "g" card? Or do I just need to get something additional from Microsoft?

Also, I doubt range will be a huge issue because the house I'm in isn't enormous, plus I will be only be using essentially 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the house anyway. So, I imagine the regular g card would be okay.

One last thing...what exactly is the difference between the b and the g?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Wireless B has very poor range, the connection tends to drop much moreso than the others, and it tops out at 11MBps.

Wireless G has much better range, the connection still drops occasionally...but very infrequently, and it tops out at 54 MBps.

If you decide to go with "super G, xtreme G, speed booster" or whatever you want to call the step above G, I will give you the scoop on that as well.

Wireless G "plus" has the best overall range, the connection still drops occasionally, but no more/less than regular G, and it tops out at 108 MBps.

You wont really see a speed difference between 54 and 108, as most cable connections top out around 3 MBps. Where you will see that difference is when transfering files between computers on the network. I highly (highly) recommend going with at least a wireless G router, and try to stay away from the cheap stuff. As a grizzled vet of setting these things up, there is a very large difference between the Cisco Systems Linksys networks, and the no name cheapo stuff. As far as your Xbox goes, you will have to pick up one of two things. You can get the official Microsoft X-Box wireless receiver *info*, or you can pick up either the wireless B or wireless G linksys game adapters *info*.

I hope this helps.