Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Console controller troubles - bad luck or ?

A little background here:

"Santa Claus" and "Mrs. Claus" waited just a little too long before acquiring PS2 & xBox consoles for a certain little boy in Georgia, finally finding reconditioned units of both at EB Games a few days before Christmas. Now, I've had decent luck & no major problems with "reconditioned" electronics on 2-3 occasions in the past, figured it was worth rolling the dice on. Included with both consoles were 1 "factory brand" controller and then 1 "after market" controller, MadCatz brand, factory-sealed for both systems.

Now, a couple of weeks later, we have:

1 brandname PS2 controller that doesn't work at all - no sign of trouble, it just stopped working entirely, the little red indicator light won't come on, nothing.

1 MadCatz PS2 controller that works ... except the L1 & R1 buttons don't work at all.

1 MadCatz xBox controller that has a similar problem with the "top buttons" not working.

Only the xBox branded controller appears to be fully functional (and it hasn't gotten much use so far).

My question is: Does it sound, to more experienced console gamers, like it's just a run of bad luck with controllers? Or is this a "MadCatz sucks" problem? Or a "EB stuff seems to give more trouble" thing? Or "not surprised because of reconditioned" thing? Or "you should try Brand XYZ controllers" thing?

I know next to nothing about this stuff, I recognize MadCatz as the sort of ubitiquitous aftermarket product because he's had a GBA for a year, basically
everywhere I look I see their stuff. Never really had any problems with a couple of accessories I've bought in their brand but maybe that was just good luck? I'm not looking for the mondo-hyper-coolest-uberfeatured controllers, he's 6 years old for cryin' out loud, I just want to get controllers that work consistently & are capable of withstanding a 20 hour a week punishment.

Advice & suggestions are appreciated.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I've had the worst luck with PS2 controllers.
The stock one died about 2 months after I bought the PS2.
The MadCatz one I had died after 5ish months.

Finally I went to Best Buy and bought 2 more PS2 brand controllers, and this time bought the warranty. So far, the newer ones I've bought have had no problems (knock on wood).

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

The controller that came with my PS2 went out after about 3 years of use. I haven't had any problems with any others. The Dualshock I had with my PS1 still works.

My XBOX controllers have been working since I got them 16 months ago.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
The controller that came with my PS2 went out after about 3 years of use. I haven't had any problems with any others. The Dualshock I had with my PS1 still works.

My XBOX controllers have been working since I got them 16 months ago.

Same problem here. The controller that came with my 1st PS2 is shot. My 2nd PS2 is dead and Best Buy has no MFing consoles so I can exchange it under my warranty plan.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

My experience overall throughout my gaming life has been that off-brand controllers are TERRIBLE... I have never had a name brand controller go out on me (PS2 or any of the nintendo incarnations)... Almost every off-brand controller I have bought has died on my relatively quickly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I can't speak reconditioned PS2's, but my most recent reconditioned purchase - a Canon printer - has been an abject failure. It hasn't worked right from day one (I get all kinds of failure lights and the print stops halfway through the first page) and the recommendation to get it fixed is to take it to one of their warranty centers. Ok - that's a 1.5 hour drive, plus sitting around all day to get it fixed. Anyone else here feel like taking a day off from work to get their printer fixed?! Me neither...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
My experience overall throughout my gaming life has been that off-brand controllers are TERRIBLE... I have never had a name brand controller go out on me (PS2 or any of the nintendo incarnations)... Almost every off-brand controller I have bought has died on my relatively quickly...

I just wanted to second this. I don't own any of the new generation consoles, but with every past console i did own, all 3rd party controllers were pure shit.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

Besides my first car, the only thing I have ever bought used were CDs. I can't wrap my brain around buying something that someone else has used before.

My best friend likes to buy used and reconditioned and he always has mountains of trouble. He had to return his referbished XBOX 3 times in the first week. I'm willing to pay the extra money to avoid all of these types of hassles.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I would have been more than willing to avoid reconditioned (since it was basically same price as new) but when there's not a new console to be found anywhere in a 75 mile radius, and Christmas is less than a week away ...
Old 01-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I have a 3rd party controller that I have used during NCAA2k5 on the PS2. the controller just does not work right 100% of the time. I usually have to unplug it at least once to get it working again.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I would have been more than willing to avoid reconditioned (since it was basically same price as new) but when there's not a new console to be found anywhere in a 75 mile radius, and Christmas is less than a week away ...

Shop a little earlier Dad.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

I also stay away from 3rd party controllers.

And yes, the Sony PS2 controllers SUCK too.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've had very bad luck with PS2 controllers. I've found them to break very easily if dropped, and I've had plenty of clumsy young cousins come into my home and break one of my controllers. If your son is young and accidently dropping the controllers, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of them breaking quite quickly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

My NES controllers still work fine.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've not had any problems with my Sony brand PS2 controllers. My Logitech PS2 controller also still works quite nicely after a little more than 2 years.

Other off-brand stuff, though...good night. I wouldn't touch most non-Logitech (or possibly Mad Catz) 3rd party controllers with a 10 foot pole and a hazmat suit. Every now and then I get a pleasant surprise, but usually I find that spending the extra 5 bucks saves me a headache in the long run.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola, Logitech makes non-wireless stuff too, so if you're having problems with MadCatz, I strongly recommend trying Logitech's corded controllers.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks everybody ... and I didn't realize Logitech made controllers, so extra thanks to S.A. for that info.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #18
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Are you able to return the one's you have JOn ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How's "maybe" for a definitive answer?

At this point, it'd probably be up to whether my wife can find the receipts amidst all the Christmas debris that clutters her purse (and quite a bit of the rest of the house as well).

Plus, it's about an hour's drive just to try to make a swap on the controllers, so I'm thinking it'll probably just be a buy some & hope for better luck with the next batch sort of thing.

Incidentally, the factory PS 2 controller worked for a brief moment today, after messing with it a bit, clearly the problem is a short somewhere in the cord.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Thanks everybody ... and I didn't realize Logitech made controllers, so extra thanks to S.A. for that info.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/US/EN,crid=2276

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/US/EN,crid=2310

There ya go, Jon. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I just bought a wireless Logitech controller for my Xbox and I love it. It works great and has no delay in control.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote