Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

Ron Turner is the new OC for the Bears.

Well, this sucks.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6094
Quote:
Ron Turner inherits a Bears offense that finished last in the NFL in most categories.
LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Former Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner became the current Bears offensive coordinator Saturday when he was hired to replace Terry Shea.
Turner returns to the position he held from 1993-96 after spending the last eight seasons as head coach at the University of Illinois. He was fired in November after compiling a 35-57 record.

In Chicago, Turner inherits an offense that ranked last in the NFL in 2004 in scoring, total yards, passing yards, first downs and third down efficiency. Shea was relieved of his duties Tuesday after the Bears mustered just 19 offensive touchdowns in 16 games.

In his first stint with the Bears, Turner helped revive a woeful offense. In his first season working for head coach Dave Wannstedt, the unit generated 99 fewer total yards and 152 fewer passing yards than the 2004 team, ranking last in the NFL in both categories.

In 1995, the offense enjoyed one of the most prolific seasons in Bears history, establishing nine club records while averaging 24.5 points and 355 yards per game.

The only NFL quarterback to take all of his team's snaps, Erik Kramer set team marks with 315 completions, 522 attempts, 3,838 yards and 29 TD passes while being sacked only 15 times.

Jeff Graham (82 catches for a team-record 1,301 yards and 4 TDs) and Curtis Conway (62-1,037-12) became the first Bears receiving duo to each top 1,000 yards and Rashaan Salaam set team rookie rushing records with 1,074 yards and 10 TDs.

The defense was the problem in 1995 as the Bears finished 9-7 and failed to make the playoffs after losing games by scores of 27-24, 34-28, 37-34 and 35-28. The 2004 squad was 5-1 when scoring at least 17 points and 0-10 when compiling 16 or less.

I don't think Turner should have even been interviewd. The guy has proved nothing.

Quote:
Turner returns to the position he held from 1993-96 after spending the last eight seasons as head coach at the University of Illinois. He was fired in November after compiling a 35-57 record.
^
Thats not very good at all. In fact, I did some research on his stats. It's not overly indepth but it shows you how good he isn't. I mean, does Jerry Angelo even want to win? Why Turner, what has he proved......

For those who do not remember who Ron Turner is, he was the Bears Offensive Coordinator for four years ('93, '94' 95 '96). Although he produced one good year (1995), he failed to reach the top 20 in total team offense 3 of his 4 years here at Chicago.

His Bio is listed below;
http://fightingillini.collegesports.com/sp...rner_ron00.html

Bears History in the Bio;

Quote:
The Chicago Bears
In four seasons working with the Chicago Bears, Turner coordinated an offense that improved every season, breaking the club record for passing yards with 233 yards per game in 1995 and producing a 1,000-yard receiver and rusher in the same season. The diversity of the Turner offense in Chicago found success under four different quarterbacks in Jim Harbaugh (1993), Steve Walsh (1994), Erik Kramer (1995) and Dave Krieg (1996). In 1994, the Bears led the NFC Central Division for much of the regular season and defeated division rival Minnesota, 35-18, in a first-round playoff game.

Ron Turner Chicago Bear stats by year, by rank;

Bears W/L Record 7-9
236 points scored on offense (24th in the NFL out of 28 Teams)
=14.6 points per game (0.22 points per game better than 2004 @ 14.4)
Ranked 28th in passing yards with 2,270
Ranked 19th in rushing yards with 1,677
Ranked 28th in total Team Offense (Which was last place. The NFL only had 28 teams in 1993)

Bears W/L Record 9-7
271 points scored on offense (24th in the NFL out of 28 Teams)
=16.93 points per game (2.53 points per game better than 2004 @ 14.4)
Ranked 23rd in passing yards with 3,230
Ranked 15th in rushing yards with 1,588
Ranked 26th in total Team Offense (out of 28 teams)

Bears W/L Record 9-7
392 points scored on offense (8th in the NFL out of 30 Teams)
=24.5 points per game (10.1 points per game better than 2004 @ 14.4 *NOTE: The Bears have not scored more than 392 points in a season since 1995. This is also thier highest ranking offense since that time.)
Ranked 13th in passing yards with 3,838
Ranked 9th in rushing yards with 1,930
Ranked 10th in total Team Offense (out of 30 teams)

1996 (Turners' Final Year)
Bears W/L Record 7-9
283 points scored on offense (26th in the NFL out of 30 teams)
=17.68 points per game (3.28 points per game better than 2004 @ 14.4)
Ranked 19th in passing yards with 3,350
Ranked 16th in rushing yards with 1,720
Ranked 22nd in total Team Offense (out of 30 teams)

Counter Production:

As you can see, the Bears offense dropped from 10th(1995) in the League to 22nd(1996). Season Points Scored dropped 109 points from 1995(392) to 1996(283). From 1995 to 1996, PPG (points per game) went down by nearly 7 points (from 24.5 > 17.68)

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Wow. That's bad.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Those cheers you hear are coming from north of the border. I told them to be sympathetic and try to keep it quiet, but they couldn't help themselves.

<-------Packers fan.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

He did a ALOT for the Illini offense.
temley06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
temley06
H.S. Freshman Team

Anyway, maybe they were in the red and had limited hiring choices.
temley06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

WB Ron. Can they bring back Dave now too?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

goodlord...

another horrendous year of bears games shoved down my throat.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Bill Walsh could be coming in as the OC and it wouldn't make a huge difference. The Bear's have no offensive line, and no receiving threats. Unless they both improve the offense will suck next year.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just shoot me. I wept when I heard they were considering Turner as OC. And now I think I need to go stab myself in the face.

Figure 2 more years of woeful Bears offense under the Turner Show, fire him, and we're right back here again.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
maximus
Banned

I just don't understand what Jerry Angelo is thinking. It's like the Bears management always settle for mediocrity and the Turner hiring is no different imo. The word is the Bears believe they only need an average OC because the defense will be able to overcome an average offense. HUH!
The only posivtve thing I did hear was that there were a few NFL teams that were extremely interested in Turner. Appearently that helped Angelos' decision to hire Turner.

Anyways, has anyone heard the extent of Turners contract?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Angelo's record isnt exactly brilliant...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Angelo's record isnt exactly brilliant...

Here's a great site. Check it out, it's pretty good.

http://www.firejerryangelo.com/default.asp

A list of blunders by Angelo.

Quote:
Blunders
In no particular order, here is a list of flagrant blunders by Jerry Angelo. He should be penalized the full amount and fired from the team!

Cuts Blake Brockermeyer forcing us to stretch and draft Marc Columbo in the first round. Thus begins the destruction an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL in 2001. See Marc Columbo blunder below for more detail. In 2004 the Bears offensive line recently set a new franchise record for most allowed sacks in a season with 66.

Lets Tony Parish go in favor of Mike Green. Between 2002 and 2003 Tony Parish has had 16 interceptions, Mike green has had 1.

Makes Brian Robinson one of the top five highest paid defensive ends in 2002. Subsequently Robinsons received multiple DUIs and is accused of sexual assault against another man.

Signed RW McQuarters for $21 million and Azumah for $5+ million, they combined for 1 interception in 2002. McQuarters, Angelo's $21 million dollar lock down corner, was demoted to third string CB in 2003.

Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Warrick Holdman if they sign him to an offer sheet. Subsequently the Bears have to pay through the nose in order to match Kanasas City's offer leading to the departure of double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin.

Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Dwayne Bates . Dwayne Bates is signed to an offer sheet by Minnesota which our "hero" Jerry matched because he "knew" that Dwayne would renegotiate to a smaller salary. When Dwayne refused to take a pay cut Angelo released him, but Dwayne got to keep the signing bonus. Bates signed with Minnesota and enjoyed a comparable, but slightly more productive year than Dez White. (thanks to Bud Scholle for additional info on this one)

At the end of 2001 despite the availability of QB Drew Bledsoe and the Bears need for an upgrade Angelo said Bledsoe, "is nothing special" and re-signed Jim Miller to a five year contract. Jim Miller was cut the following year.

Drafts CB Roosevelt Williams in 3rd round. What might have been? CB Derek Ross who had 5 interceptions 2002. Williams was cut the following year.

Releases Big Cat Williams in favor of Aaron Gibson or Bernad Robertson (subsequently cut).

Declines to resign double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin -- declaring Bryan Knight his replacement. Bryan Knight was demoted by game four of 2003 and ended the year with no sacks.

Trades Ted Washington away in favor of Alfonso Boone -- hurting team chemistry, morale, and diminishes Urlachers effectiveness.

Signs Kordell Stewart as the starting QB for the 2003 season. Kordell goes on to have the worst debut of any free agent QB and ends the season with a rating of 56.8, lower than 31 other quarterbacks.

Doesn't give Paul Edinger a qualifying offer and is forced to match the Vikings large $$ contract offer. Edinger rewards Angelo's faith by missing ten field goals in 2003, two of them directly resulted in losses. Edinger missed 3 of his first 7 field goals in 2004.

Extended John Shoop's contract, 'nuff said.

Signed the substance abuse quintet of: Bryan Robinson (DUIx2 + alleged sexual assault against a man), Damon Moore (DUI), Damien Shelton (banned substances), Paul Edinger (DUI), and Rahib Abdullah (DUI).

Who can forget such memorable roster additions as: QB Henry Burris, TE Luther Broughton, DE Keith McKenzie, and QB Kordell Stewart.

Drafted one offensive lineman in 2003 in the seventh round with our final pick.

Decided Hall of Famer Mike Singeltary wasn't good enough to coach our linebackers.

Replaced two-time special teams pro-bowler (2001, 2002) Larry Whigham with Cameron Worrell. Worrell missed his first blocking assignment against San Francisco resulting in a blocked punt and a subsequent touchdown.

Cut Skip Hicks (56 car 341 yds 1 TD 6.1 yd/car for Titans) in favor of Autry Denson (1 car 4 yds for Chicago)

Signed the accused criminal sex offender DT Christian Peter

BUCS Blunder: Part of the brain trust that traded QB Steve Young to the 49ers for second and fourth round draft picks.

BUCS Blunder: Part of the brain trust that traded the second overall pick in the draft for ... QB Chris Chandler who was cut midway through the 1991 season. Jerry continued his love affair with Chandler, bringing him to Chicago and then cutting him when we needed him most — to back up fragile Rex Grossman.

BUCS Blunder: Signed WR Alvin Harper to a lucrative contract.

BUCS Blunder: The much heralded and now maligned trades for RB Gary Anderson and WR Stephan Starring (who?)

Drafts Marc Columbo with our first round pick. Considered a second round prospect by draft experts. The same draft experts who appear correct in their analysis that Columbo needed to add strength in order to compete at the NFL level. Columbo was not durable enough to last more than five starts in the NFL. What might have been? RB Clinton Portis.

BUCS Blunder(s): Amassed the talent that produced 10 consecutive losing seasons. Ted Philips must have missed that line of the resume.

Traded #4 overall pick, passing on Terrel Suggs (12 sacks), Kevin Williams (10.5 sacks).

Traded #4 overall pick, the fruit of Jerry's labor, and passed on LB/DE Terrell Suggs. As a rookie Suggs registered 12 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries, an interception and was named defensive rookie of the year. Through the first four games of 2004 Suggs has more sacks than Alex Brown, Tommie Harris and Ogunleye combined.

Drafted DE Michael Haynes in the first round. Haynes had two sacks in 2003 and has not broken into the starting lineup. The failure of Michael Haynes lead to the trade of Marty Booker and a third round pick for DE Ogunleye.

Signed an injured Mike Green to a five year deal averaging $2.4 million per year. Tony Parish signed a five year deal averaging $2.8 million per year. Do you think the 49ers would trade Tony Parish for Mike Green, even if we threw in a high draft pick? We don't think so either. To make rub salt in the wound Bobby Gray played better than Mike Green while replacing sore groined Green in nine games of 2003.

Released Marcus Robinson who went on to catch 6 touchdowns and average over 14 yards per catch. Robinson had one touchdown less than the combined production of Dez White and Marty Booker in 2003.

Did not draft a single offensive lineman in 2004.

Traded Ted Washington for a fourth round draft pick and used it to select OLB Leon Joe who was cut before the start of the season. So for a pro-bowl defensive tackle, arguably a hall of fame defensive tackle, the same defensive tackle who helped New England win a record 18 games straight, we received nothing.

Because Jerry released double digit sackman Roosevelt Colvin and the subsequent failure of first round pick Michael Haynes - - Jerry trades Marty Booker and a third round draft pick for DE Ogunleye who had one sack through the first four games of 2004. Ogunleye ended up with 5.5 sacks in 2004 (down from 15 sacks in 2003), injuired half of the season.

Jerry arrogantly defied common sense and refused to sign a capable backup quarterback, despite the availability of Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner. Fragile Rex Grossman goes down and the 2004 season is left in the hands of Jonathan Quinn.

Rewards steady OL Chris Villarial with a pink slip and signs the older disgruntled veteran Ruben Brown to replace him for more money than Villarial wanted.

Releases Warrick Holdman after paying through the nose to keep him from the Chiefs. Ultimately Jerry's "forgot to check the box" fiasco cost us Warrick Holdman, Roosevelt Colvin, Marty Booker and a third round pick.

Last edited by maximus : 01-09-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Anyways, has anyone heard the extent of Turners contract?

I heard it was for 3 years at 500K per...that's a lot of money.

However, that money is taken out of the Illini's buyout for him, so that is a plus from my point of view.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaefIllini
I heard it was for 3 years at 500K per...that's a lot of money.

However, that money is taken out of the Illini's buyout for him, so that is a plus from my point of view.

Thanks. I know that Shea is still getting $500k for the next two years as well.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Wow, I knew Jerry Angelo was an idiot, but that's some list. Honestly, if that's the standard, I could be GM and do better. Could you imagine what Quiksand could do?

Anyway, it looks like I won't have to continue my "defense-only" dynasty using the Chicago Bears since it's effectively happening in real life. :o

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 01-09-2005 at 02:52 PM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 AM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Reflecting the Bears' off-season emphasis, Turner balanced the promise of more big plays with the reintroduction of power football.

"We're going to want to run the football; that's where it all starts,'' Turner said. "It'll revolve a lot around high-percentage passes that we did here before.

In other words. The Dink and Dunk is back in Chicago. God help us.

But hey. At least I know the play when it's 3rd and 18. Quick out!

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-10-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm all for a power-rushing attack, provided they're going to go out and buy the Offensive Line for it, but do I hear anything about that? Noooooooooooooooooooo....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote