Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

FBCB Recruiting help

What should I really be looking for at each position. I'm in my 5th season @ Morehead St and thought this would be the year, but so far we are 3-7. It seems I have good players, but they just aren't getting it done.

*Starters

7'1 Center Sylvester Gartner

He has 81 for INS, but he isn't the best defensive player(21 PSD, 43 PRD) and can't really shoot jumpers(14 JPS). I figured we could just lob it in to this guy and he could give us a big presence inside. He's a decent defensive rebounder(33 ORB, 50 DRB).

PF Cleveland Bass---what a name

He's more of a balanced scorer with 65 INS, 45 JPS, and he crashes the boards with an 82 ORB. On D he is average rated at 54 PSD 31 PRD.

SG Andrew Hayes

This guy should be a pretty good scorer, but really doesn't score alot. He's rated 10 INS 79 JPS 68 3PS and he's a decent passes rated 52 PAS. On D he's not so good, but I really can't find anyone with much potential @ D.(28 PSD 10 PRD.)

SG Doug Brenneman

This is another guy that should be a good scorer, but only drops about 10 a game. 7 INS 88 JPS 80 3PS 52 HND 22 PAS 16 PSD 26 PRD, and he can jump through the roof 95 JMP.

PG Justin Longley

This guy is, and should develop as far as I can see into a true PG. He's rated 74 HND and 74 PAS with potentials of "A" at both of them. He's not much of a scorer and only shoots about 5 times a game but his ratings are 19 INS 43 JPS. On D he's better than some of the rest on the team 23 PSD 44 PRD.

*Bench--We really aren't that deep, so this is only the guys that play

SF Cornelius Carney

This is a guy that started as a freshman, but hasn't started since and he is now a Senior. I really can't determine from his rating what kind of a player he is so here just are his ratings 44 INS 33 JPS 48 3PS 27 HND 30 PAS 11 ORB 23 DRB 22 PSD 41 PRD. He doesn't seem to have 1 stat higher than anyone else on my team 85 PFS--what does this mean?

PF Gregory Maze

He is a bigtime prospect as he's only a freshman and rated 53 INS(A) 40 JPS(C) 52 ORB(B) 60 DRB(B) 49 PSD(B) 27 PRD(C)

C Rey Girard

Just pretty much a rebounder 35 INS 21 JPS 57 ORB 58 DRB 29 PSD 22 PRD.

No one else plays over 5 minutes a game. My question is does this team just suck? Or is something wrong elsewhere? And also if this team does just suck what should I be looking for at each position when recruiting?

dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

OK There are whole threads dedicated to this that should be much more help than what I can do for you. I think mostly you can find them linked in the top sticky thread talking about Strategy and such.

One thing I noticed is that most of the players you think should score reasonably well, have low INS ratings. The INS rating may be a bit misnamed, well at least you and I initially misunderstood it. That rating determines pretty much how easilly a player can create his own scoring opportunities. I sort of think this is the players ability to drive to the basket.

Since your scorers have low INS ratings, they need help from their teammates to create their scoring opportunities. To do this you need to increase the "motion" in your gameplan. Since you don't have a lot of real good ball handlers that might create a lot of turnovers, but you do need to score.

Good Luck, and really there is a big thread started by SkyDog. It should be linked to in the generic strategy post. Let us know if you can't find it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
oykib
College Starter

Also, pay close attention to the physical attributes of your players. Quickness is important for all of your players and strength is very important on both offense and defense for your frontcourt players.

I usually redshirt all my scholly players and give them 10 in conditioning.

I'm thinking of firing up a new dynasty.
oykib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

That freshman should definitely be redshirted, only circumstances I will ever not redshirt a freshman is if he's a big upgrade over anything else I could conceivably put at that position and I'm a good team challenging for conference title/postseason. If he's not starting not worth wasting a big year of development.

Personally I don't mind low INS/ high JPS guys at SG, but from my experience you HAVE to have a good ball handling PG to go with them.

Quickness is very important, a mediocre player with 20 quickness usually puts up unexplainably good numbers from what I've seen.

You need a good defensive player at C, if I'm a lower tier school I concentrate on PSD and STR almost exclusively for C and then look for a very high INS with good ORB and DRB at PF. That might be why you are losing so many games. When you are a lower tier school you have to concentrate on a few key attributes at each position. Skydogs thread says it better than I could so I'd check that out. When you go to a bigger school you can start getting those upper 3 star/ 4 star players who have all around skills.

Dammit... now I want to go fire up another career too
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

Related more to college sports than to text sims, is that usual to redshirt a player on his freshman year? don't players get angry when they train a whole season without playing time? I'm curious about it as i don't know a lot about real life college sports.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Related more to college sports than to text sims, is that usual to redshirt a player on his freshman year? don't players get angry when they train a whole season without playing time? I'm curious about it as i don't know a lot about real life college sports.

Although FBCB needs almost no house rules, I only allow myself one redshirt per year. Although extremely common in college football, non-medical redshirts are very rare in college basketball -- even one per year is above the norm for most programs. The one major thing FBCB is missing is transfers/playing time concerns, and with it, a heavy decrease in redshirting. Hopefully we'll see that in a future version.

But for now, there is no penalty for it.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 01-09-2005 at 04:37 PM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the help, I read skydog's thread and am going to start recruiting off of that for a while. As a side note I decided to set my "motion" to 10 and my pace to 1 the next year realizing I didn't have players that could create for themselves like I thought they could. The next year we opened 8-0 and got ranked #16 before losing @ Michigan St. by 3. Of course being ranked 16 with Morehead leaves you nowhere to go but down and we lost quite a few games later in conference play we should have won.

The motion offense helped Brenneman as he went from 10 a game to 21 a game. Thanks Glengoyne for that suggestion.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-09-2005 at 07:23 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

Not to threadjack, but do you guys play with the patch that allows you to move teams into different conferences? I started a career just before that patch and haven't touched the game since because I was worried it might be difficult keeping track of all the real-life moves.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Not to threadjack, but do you guys play with the patch that allows you to move teams into different conferences? I started a career just before that patch and haven't touched the game since because I was worried it might be difficult keeping track of all the real-life moves.

We're going through our first season in our FBCB online league(see my sig) after the massive conference re-alignment. Everything is working perfectly so far. It took me a few hours to set it all up and test it out before i was comfortable running with it, but it all worked as advertised.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote