Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
hukarez
College Starter

Ping: Anime folks!

I haven't really been keeping up to date on the scene and what not, but came across a place here in SD that carries quite a selection of DVDs.

I'm curious about folks' opinions on some series:

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Record of the Lodoss War, Gungrave

The last series that I actually watched was Berserk (really liked it, praying for another volume to continue the story or what not), and the prices that I've found seem to be reasonable:

$59 for Neon Genesis
$25 for Lodoss War
$29 (or $39, can't remember) for Gungrave

They seem to be complete episodes, with Neon Genesis being in a rather hefty box, and for the Record of the Lodoss War, I saw 2 versions. The second version ran for $34.99, and had something like "Chapters 1-26", while the $25 one had something like "Chapters 1-13". I get easily confused with these differences, and was hoping someone who's into the anime field would be able to shed some light and opinion on the above mentioned - or perhaps, suggest another series I might find interest in.

I'm more into stuff that's "already concluded" so to speak.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Ramzavail
College Starter

Record of the Lodoss War is great.

Get it. It is old though, it doesn't have the new type of anime drawings. Looks more like the Gummi Bears, the cartoon But the story line is good.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I liked Record of Lodoss War, and I don't even really like anime that much.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
hukarez
College Starter

Yeah, I'm told it's pretty old school and what not. There's two versions of them, and I can't figure out what the heck the difference is aside from more chapters on another. I'm thinking it's probably a television series, compared to something else - which, I've been unable to determine myself.

Still, a buddy tells me that Lodoss War is like 'old school Berserk'...which, if that's the case, sounds like a good buy. I'll probably do a quick search online, to see the core difference between the $25 one and $35 one.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 01-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw Evangelion a few years ago. Very interesting and good... but it IS confusing. I had to do a lot of reading afterwards to answer some questions I had.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

dola...

and most Anime series are 26 episodes long (unless it's something like Dragonball, Kenshin, etc.). The "Chapters 1-26" is probably the whole series, and "Chapters 1-13" is probably just half.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
AnalBumCover
College Starter

This should answer your questions on the Record of Lodoss War.

link

Quote:
The Record of Lodoss War anime was based on Record of Lodoss War novels and manga in Japan. The world of Lodoss was created by Ryo Mizuno, and this world was created within a role-playing game. The genre of Lodoss is fantasy. There are two different anime series based on Record of Lodoss War.

The first one made was the OVA series. This series told the story of Parn, the free knight; Deedlit, the high elf; Etoh, the priest; Ghim, the dwarf; Slayn, the sorceror; and Woodchuck, the thief. Later on the characters of Orson (a beserker) and Shiris, two mercenaries, are introduced. The story of the OVAs is good, but is a very compressed version of the stories of the manga and novels.

Later on, the second anime, a TV series, was made. The series, called Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight is a more complete story of the novels and manga. It doesn't follow the OVA series, and if it did, it would start somewhere a little after the middle of the OVA series. Orson and Shiris are introduced in the beginning of the TV series. In the second part of RoLW:CotHK, the story shifts from Parn, Deedlit, Orson, Shiris, Slayn and the others to new characters. These new characters (Spark, Neese, Ryna, Gallack/Garrack, Leaf, Grieves, and Aldo-Nova) become the main characters and center of the story, although Parn and Deedlit still play a major role.

Although I thought I wouldn't like the shift, I found that I really grew to love the new characters. Both the OVAs and the TV series are very good.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
AnalBumCover
College Starter

dola.

Funny I should come across this thread. I was thinking of watching Lodoss (the original series) this weekend. Now I think I will. After the playoff games.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
oykib
College Starter

Record of the Lodoss War is pretty good. There's nothing amazing about it, though.

It was interesting to see the Japanese take on western fantasy, however.

Evangelion was somethng special. It was as MikeVic said somewhat confusing. But it was still one of the best series I've seen.

Sudio Gainax, that made Evangelion, has put out some great stuff. There hasn't been a more imitated anime in the last ten or fifteen years than Eva. Other Gainax stuff:

Otaku no Video (if you love anime, this is a must)
Wings of Honnemaise (great, strange story about attempting to better oneself)
Mahoromatic (seems like a typical genre ride-- in this case magical/android servant-- but quickly takes turns that you didn't expect)

I haven't seen Gungrave. So I can't help you there.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
dola.

Funny I should come across this thread. I was thinking of watching Lodoss (the original series) this weekend. Now I think I will. After the playoff games.

Hmm. I'll probably pick up that OVA version then, and check out that television series later on. Much more along the lines of a price range for me, so to speak. I didn't realize how old school it was - but that's cool. The last time I heard of a name like this (actually, perhaps the first time) was in regards to a Dreamcast game.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #11
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Does anyone have a take on "Ninja Scroll: The Series"? I have the movie, and enjoyed it much. How does the tv series compare?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

The last full series I watched was Noir. I enjoyed it, and would recommend to anyone that needs an Anime to watch.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #13
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
Does anyone have a take on "Ninja Scroll: The Series"? I have the movie, and enjoyed it much. How does the tv series compare?

I asked my friends about this as well, and have been told to avoid it like the plague. One of my other buddies despises this so much, he "wouldn't even waste time trying to download it off the Internet"...

So, I'm assuming it's not that great - but I try to keep an open mind about it at the least. I'm just not 'encouraged' to view it anytime soon.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 01-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I watched Ghost in the Shell 2 this weekend. Excellent movie...not as much action as the first (or in Stand Alone Complex), but the story is top notch. I'd recommend it to anyone.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

dola - I'd also recommend the Hellsing series...I've got the first season (13 episodes) on my PC. Anyone know if a second season is going to be (or already has been) produced?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm looking to watch anime again.. at least watch one good series. Good story, or something with mechs, or whatever, as long as it's good.

Some place here is having a sale today and tomorrow, so I'd like to buy it real soon.

Anyone have recommendations of some "newer" series? I don't think this place has older stuff like Lodoss... Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Trigun is a good series. Kinda has an old west flavor.

Hellsing is very good, especially if you like violence, and vampires.

Cowboy bebop is very good, if space bounty hunters is your thing.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hey so, guess what. I want to watch a good series that has a good story. Can anyone recommend anything that's different since 2005? Haven't seen Trigun, Hellsing, or all of Cowboy Bebop.... so I could try those.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My impression was that Eva has really good buildup but suffers from the ending being, well, crappy. And I mean really crappy, like plot-falls-off-the-cliff crappy. Then if you pick up the OVA with the "alternate ending", it's mediocre at best but better by comparison.

Bebop and Trigun are both held in pretty high regard. Trigun starts slow but picks up about episode 10. Bebop is uniformly pretty good with the Vicious plot being the highlight of the series.

Also, I have to like that anime is starting to come down in price, like a lot of DVDs. For the longest time, there was a lot of $30 for 4 episodes crap and otaku bought it up like crazy even at that insane price so they kept charging it. Now it's starting to get more in line with reasonable DVD prices.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Trigun is way cool, would be high on my list for the Wolfwood character alone.

At least that's my "I'm no expert by any means but I know good stuff when I see it" take.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-24-2007 at 07:48 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
kurtism
High School Varsity

Adult Swim usually has some good stuff. Its in the middle of the story right now, but Trinity Blood is pretty interesting (vampires and the Catholic church in the far future). Also enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist, which may still be showing on Adult Swim as well.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Ramzavail
College Starter

I second the Trinity Blood and Bleach isn't bad.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Star Blazers, baby!
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #24
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Fooly Cooly (Furi Kuri) is something I can't describe to anyone easily, but it is a short series which is probably the most watched item on my DVR... Everyone I have introduced to it has enjoyed it.

Anyone here seen or heard of it?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There is "Ninja Scroll."

And then there is everything else...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #26
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Fooly Cooly (Furi Kuri) is something I can't describe to anyone easily, but it is a short series which is probably the most watched item on my DVR... Everyone I have introduced to it has enjoyed it.

Anyone here seen or heard of it?

When an anime comes along that stands out as ridiculous beyond almost all other animes, thats really saying something. I liked it though. Shame it was only 6 episodes, would have been great if it was at least 13.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #27
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
When an anime comes along that stands out as ridiculous beyond almost all other animes, thats really saying something. I liked it though. Shame it was only 6 episodes, would have been great if it was at least 13.

Agreed, I really enjoy watching it.. Just couldn't ever really describe it, but what you said seems to fit the bill pretty well. Ridiculous in the best way.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #28
Ramzavail
College Starter

what channel was it on?

I get the anime network on demand at home, but I wish I got the actual channel instead of the saved programs. I really liked Area 88, but it seems to never be on demand anymore
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #29
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I second the Trinity Blood and Bleach isn't bad.

I missed the Bleach comment, Bleach is actually my favorite anime with Trigun, but probably not for everyone over the age of 20. Thats not to say it doesn't and can't appeal to mature viewers, but some may see some of the teen angst in the show and the whole teen fighting evil while getting superhuman powers as too cliche for their mature pallets. (Not to mention the occational talking stuffed animal in the plots.) If you can get past those hangups though, its really good stuff.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

My fave series is Love Hina

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #31
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My fave series is Love Hina

You seen or read Negima? It's by the same dude and has violence as wel as the beimg a tight 'harem' story.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
You seen or read Negima? It's by the same dude and has violence as wel as the beimg a tight 'harem' story.

Nope but I'll have to check it out now.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

The best way I can describe it is that when I finish watching it, I think I feel like people do when they get high. It really is unlike anything else- it knows its creative boundaries and how to push them just enough so it doesn't complete break but bends as far as possible. Does that make it great? No, especially if it's not your thing, but it makes for a very different experience and well worth watching.

SI

Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fullmetal Alchemist is actually next on my list to watch. I've got every episode on tape- I just need to actually sit down and watch them. I've heard great things about it from all spectrums of anime watchers from the die hard otaku (the more obscure the better! subtitles only!) to the more casual fans (some of us only get cartoon network).

Trinity Blood is something I've been curious about but didn't start from the beginning so I'll have to wait until CN starts it over.

Also, I'll still contend that the production values of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are pretty much second to none. However, the plot is slow and I think the show gets a bit lost in translation. The first season peaked much too early and the big story arc is something I could see playing much bigger there than here. Second season kindof falls back on a western cliche for the big plot, but it feels like a show where, again, there are kindof cultural translation issues- the creators want it to be a western plot but don't quite get the nuance and so it feels borrowed at best and forced at worst.

SI

Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #35
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Also, I'll still contend that the production values of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are pretty much second to none.

Have you seen Ergo Proxy? I was pretty impressed with the production quality of that series, even though I'm still left a tad confused over how it ended.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #36
MikeVic
Head Coach

Watched the Cowboy Bebop series. The theme song is kick ass, and the song at the end of the third-last episode is so awesome too. I believe the entire song plays, and it's such an emotion-evoking song (for me at least).
Old 02-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #37
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I saw the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles this weekend. If you are a Robotech fan, have at it. Those who don't know the backstory will probably be lost. Oh, and thanks, ad at the top of the page for clueing me into this!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #38
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Watched the Cowboy Bebop series. The theme song is kick ass, and the song at the end of the third-last episode is so awesome too. I believe the entire song plays, and it's such an emotion-evoking song (for me at least).

The one that gets me the most is the choir like music for the ballad of fallen angels. Also my favorite episode.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #39
whomario
Pro Starter

Sorry for bringing such an old topic up, but anyway ... Has anyone else here watched "Elfen Lied" ? Itīs just big. Actually only the 3rd series iīve watched till the end (have a good friend who buys and "gets" stuff like crazy, so i can borrow and just quit if i like), with the others being Escaflowne and Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex first series, as i general anime can keep me interested for a film without doubt, but series often looses me.
This one however didnīt.
The story is really good but not spectacular (but again, anime isnīt a series format for me) and has some holes in continuity and explaining the backstory, graphics are really good but not revolutionary. But itīs just full of contrasts between being like incredibly soft and "innocent" one moment and than exploding in violence the next. The opening scene alone would put any real life movie/series into 3 am time slots and in the adult section of stores ... Actually it made me put it away at first making me all irritated and gave me a big "wtf" moment even though i kind of knew it was coming from my friend.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had seen this and what their take would be.

In related news : Amazon.co.uk has some ridiculous offers right now for the month of January, like 50% off or more for almost all DVDs and DVD boxsets. As far as i know shipping to the US isnīt too expensive if you package a couple of items. The Elfen Lied series f.e. is 25 Pounds , GITS series is at 20. (Beware that the DVDs are in Region 2 PAL of course, but i guess most people know how to work arround this)

Has anyone any other recomendations on newer "serious" anime , series or movies ?
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm real old school.

Ranma 1/2

Bubblegum Crisis
Bubblegum Crash
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #41
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Sorry for bringing such an old topic up, but anyway ... Has anyone else here watched "Elfen Lied" ? Itīs just big. Actually only the 3rd series iīve watched till the end (have a good friend who buys and "gets" stuff like crazy, so i can borrow and just quit if i like), with the others being Escaflowne and Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex first series, as i general anime can keep me interested for a film without doubt, but series often looses me.
This one however didnīt.
The story is really good but not spectacular (but again, anime isnīt a series format for me) and has some holes in continuity and explaining the backstory, graphics are really good but not revolutionary. But itīs just full of contrasts between being like incredibly soft and "innocent" one moment and than exploding in violence the next. The opening scene alone would put any real life movie/series into 3 am time slots and in the adult section of stores ... Actually it made me put it away at first making me all irritated and gave me a big "wtf" moment even though i kind of knew it was coming from my friend.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had seen this and what their take would be.

In related news : Amazon.co.uk has some ridiculous offers right now for the month of January, like 50% off or more for almost all DVDs and DVD boxsets. As far as i know shipping to the US isnīt too expensive if you package a couple of items. The Elfen Lied series f.e. is 25 Pounds , GITS series is at 20. (Beware that the DVDs are in Region 2 PAL of course, but i guess most people know how to work arround this)

Has anyone any other recomendations on newer "serious" anime , series or movies ?

I haven't really been keeping up to date on the scene - there were some series that I had picked up that I haven't gotten around to yet like Speed Grapher and I think Basilisk?

However, I'm hearing good things about "Kino's Journey" as another one to look into.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #42
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Sorry for bringing such an old topic up, but anyway ... Has anyone else here watched "Elfen Lied" ?

Elfen Lied is terrific. I find too often animes like it will have a ton of promise without knowing how to conclude itself. Elfen Lied has a good back story, good pacing, and a good conclusion. (Once you get past that its one of the most graphic animes out there of course.)

One anime I watched recently that held my interest was Spice and Wolf. The animation on it is just top rate, and its backdrop of medieval commodities trading is different and interesting.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #43
whomario
Pro Starter

So, iīve caught up on some movies by Makoto Shinkai and all 3 are highly recommended. Kind of Comparable with Studio Gibhli in that they are rather quiet/slow with deep topics, they are actually even quiter than them.

Voices of a Distant Star
is a 25 minute short film and just incredibly touching. A young girl has to leave her boyfriend behind for a mission into space and they are writing themselves text messages (email type) with the catch that as she is moving further away from the earth the messages take longer and longer to reach him, the last message needs 8 years and only 2 lines come through.
Other than that it hasnīt got a plot to speak of, but for 25 minutes it doesnīt need one. This film is like a poem, the visuals and the messages and voice overs of the 2 people speak for themselves. It also only shows those 2 and thatīs just brilliant and gold for the movie, even the few fight scenes are more background noise to the lovestory than anything else.
thereīs actualy voice over in, i think, all 3,4 ones that are there and itīs not telling things relevant for the fights that are really only parts of fights wit no own story line.
The ending is moving too (and no, it doesnīt end back on earth ...), how they found closure in their thoughts, how thatīs shown in a dialogue-type speech.

I wished more of thise type would exist. Why desperately try to stretch a story to either a series or a 90 minute movie ? Anime would imo work best in a short film type of setting like this one.

The Place Promised in our early days (another title used is "Beyond the Clouds") is set in a fictional 90s Japan where the country is seperated and the world in a cold war type state that is at the verge of escalating. Ultimately it is a story of a friendship between 3 kids that coming to an aprupt end before circmstances lead them together again after one finds out the other is in a coma-type state (and the government has an interest to keep it that way for experiments) with her mind experiencing an entirely unpopulated paralell world and he seems to know the solution that goes back to a childhood oath between the 3. So the other 2 get her out of the hospital to fulfill it even at the risk of the world ending because of it. Overall his most story driven piece, but still
Again "only" 60 minutes long and thatīs 60 minutes well spend if you watch it.

Five Centimeters per Second is a film containing 3 Episodes at different times in the main characters life (mid teens, being a college stundent and after that in the real life), bascially snapshots. The first is about his first and great love, the 2nd about trying to move on yet being unable to and the 3rd about finally finding closure.
Comparably to Distant Star thereīs no real plot, but again you donīt miss it as it is just capturing you and makes you satisfied in just watching normality take place. And again, the ending leaves you thinking.

So basically his films are very much centered arround normal life and basic human feeling of love and friendship and really down to earth even when his settings are fantastic because they are only settings and not having a big role. And in 5 centimeters he doesnīt use it at all. Graphics and animations are superb, subtle and realistic, music score is wonderfull and itīs just great that he doesnīt forcefully builds a plot but just shows the fact that those character relationships are more important anyway.

And one more thing : Do not under any circumstances see any of those movies and especially Voices ... in a dubbed version, if you find this first than just search along or on dvd disable it. Seriously, itīs terrible and like totally missing the original point of the dialogue...

Last edited by whomario : 01-13-2009 at 03:47 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #44
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoy anime. My best friend was nice enough to get me the special edition of Akira for Christmas, one of the ones that really paved the way for anime to be accepted.

Cowboy Bebop is my favorite series, I have all of the tv episodes and the movie. There are rumblings and grumblings that there's going to be a live-action movie made of it. Rumor has it that Keanu Reeves will be Spike, not sure how I feel about that. I have a feeling he can pull it off. The opening and closing themes are great.

The only other real anime I own is Negima, which is pretty good. A friend lent me her copy of it and I realized I wasn't giving it back to her.

I really enjoy Case Closed, and have a bunch of those DVD's, but I hesitate to call them "real anime" because they feel much more..kiddish.

I agree with everything that was said about FLCL, I've watched that entire series multiple times on adult swim. Also got into Trigun through adult swim, though not as much. Oddly, I kind of found Lupin the Third amusing, though it's usually the type of show that would have me turning it off really quickly.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Did the Case Closed DVDs ever get past where they did on Cartoon Network (the two parter with Harley Hartwell)? That's all the further they show on the Funimation Channel as well. It's not serious anime but it's a fun little diversion.

SI