Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We're in the playoffs!!

The best game of the year as far as Rams home games go. Great atmostphere, lots of action, I'm beat.

I think we'll beat Seattle... too bad it's not here in St. Louis.

Todd

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

luck
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Blade6119
Coordinator

That luck got us a rematch with a team we beat twice this year already...ill take luck if thats what got us here...i dont see your illinois teams in the playoffs finkenst
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

given that i'm not a native of illinois and suffer every week of having to watch a bears game...

congats, rams. if you beat seattle, i doubt you'll make it past philly or atlanta.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think either Seattle or the Rams are dead in round 2.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
That luck got us a rematch with a team we beat twice this year already...ill take luck if thats what got us here...i dont see your illinois teams in the playoffs finkenst

A 8-8 record is kinda pathetic to make the playoffs. Good thing the NFL didn't expand to 7 teams per conference.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
G-Man
High School JV

I am a Seahawks fan but.....

I do not believe that the Hawks nor the Rams are playoff caliber teams. However I would also add the Vikings to that group. Anyway neither team (rams or Hawks) will go very far.

Perhaps they should just drop the Hawks and Rams from the field, along with the Vikes and have the Packers play the Falcons, the winner gets the Eagles and that winner gets a runners up trophy as the real champ will come from the AFC, probably in the rematch of the Pats and the Steelers.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am always happy to see the Rams get in the playoffs, since as long as you're alive, you can still win it all.

That said, I truly believe the Rams will not get any better until we can Martz. I just can't stand this guy anymore. And getting to the playoffs only ensures we will likely get beaten badly by Green Bay, Atlanta or Philly (eventually) and force us to endure yet another year of Martz.

If we don't make the playoffs, his ass would have been so fired, IMO.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #9
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Do you guys think that 8-8 teams in the playoffs are just a one-year thing?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

No.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think this will happen occasionally. The AFC is the exact opposite right now, loaded by comparison.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yeah, parity is alive and well in the NFC. The AFC didn't get the memo.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #13
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Normally, I would make the argument that 8-8 isn't such a bad record. Ask any coach in the NFL and they'll say winning 8 games is hard. However, it was the way some of these teams went 8-8. The Rams and the Seahawks were basically racing to see which one could LOSE the NFC west. Neither team really stepped up and played great the whole season (except for this last game of course).
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #14
Blade6119
Coordinator

I will give both the seahawks and rams credit for one thing....IF, a big if, either team plays to its full talent level they can hang with any team in the NFC....including the TO-less eagles
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Records don't mean squat now. I'll gladly take on the Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay, or Philly. The Seahawks barely beat a Vick-less Atlanta team.

I don't like Martz either, but he seems to win the games that keep his job intact... which sucks... but I'm a team guy and I'm happy for the team. Holt is the ONLY NFL receiver with 5 consecutive 1300+ yard seasons. Remarkable. He's the reason we won the game today.

Todd
Old 01-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #16
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I used to be on Martz's side, but some of the stuff that goes on is inexcusable. How many special teams TDs were given up this year? Why in the world do you hire Marmie as DC? At what point do you begin to reign in the offense a bit, and worry about hanging on to the football, a turnover margin of -29?

They have wasted a number of high picks on the defense which has not been that great. They are aging on the offensive side of the ball. The special teams have gotten worse each year under Martz. Either can his ass, or get some one else on board who will make better hiring/scouting moves.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

Grr... I was rooting against the Rams just because of Martz.

I don't see the Rams, Vikings, or Seahawks having a chance. I really don't think Atlanta is up there either (then again, I've doubted them all year and look what they've done).

I think Philly is still far and away the class of the group even w/out TO, but one hot night from Favre and anything can happen.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #18
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Sports radio in St. Louis (590 The Fan) was jabbering on and on about how Tom Jackson was busting on Martz a lot on ESPN Game Day and Prime Time. That it seemed "too personal" and they were wondering why. Gah...maybe because Martz is an idiot who confirms it at every opportunity by making bad decisions?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Not a slam at anyone particular here, but I am always flabergasted at how Saint Louis can have such great baseball fans and such horrible football and college sports fans. It is like this town doesn't remember the decades of football futility before Vermiel (and more specifically Martz) came to town and brought us a world championship.

Let's look at the past two years for which Martz has been slammed for. Last season he takes the ball out of the hands of possibly the most popular sports figure in town at the time, is tore to shreads, and his team goes 12-4. Then he does go conservative, but loses to a very good Carolina team that go be on to win at Philadelphia and almost win the Super Bowl. (By the way, why is it Martz's fault that the next great white hope couldn't make a simple tackle to keep us in overtime?)

Fast forward to this season. The Rams are not supposed to be good. Faulk, Bruce, etc. are aging. Turley is injured. We lost Wistrom to free agency. Basically it is going to be a rebuilding season as nobody is going to compete in the NFC West with the Super Bowl bound Seahawks. All of a sudden the Seahawks aren't as good as everyone thinks and that somehow changes the expectations of this team? We were supposed to be about 8-8 and we did exactly that and ended up getting in the playoffs!

I could get into the unrealistic expectations my alma matter has with it's basketball and football programs, but that is a whole other topic for another time. But let's just say the Saint Louis solution always seems to be to run someone out of town. Unless it is a baseball coach who hasn't been able to get the team over the playoff hump (last year notwithstanding) for over 10 years. But don't ever talk bad about baseball in Saint Louis or you will be taken outside and shot.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #20
Warhammer
Pro Starter

First off, I have been a fan of the Rams since 79. Grew up in Irvine, CA. So I am not your typical St. Louis fan.

Actually, prior to the season people had the Rams rated higher than last year. Most of the questions from last year had been answered. Steven Jackson would back up Faulk, which he has done extremely well. The big question was replacing Lovie Smith, something I think he failed in doing.

Also, don't forget, the defense is pretty much the same as last year minus Wistrom. Which you could afford to lose because they have the most depth on defense on the DL.

My problem with last year is you have 12 ticks on the clock, take a shot at the end zone. Tell your QB, if you don't see it, throw it away. Plus, why did they have Jason Sehorn at all? Everyone knew he was washed up!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Sports radio in St. Louis (590 The Fan) was jabbering on and on about how Tom Jackson was busting on Martz a lot on ESPN Game Day and Prime Time. That it seemed "too personal" and they were wondering why. Gah...maybe because Martz is an idiot who confirms it at every opportunity by making bad decisions?

The book "Patriot Reign" has a good discussion on why Bellichik hates Tom Jackson. To the point that if it weren't for Chris Berman, he'd pretty much be blacklisting ESPN.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #22
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
The book "Patriot Reign" has a good discussion on why Bellichik hates Tom Jackson. To the point that if it weren't for Chris Berman, he'd pretty much be blacklisting ESPN.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Can you elaborate?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Can you elaborate?

At one point in 2003 Tom Jackson said on the air after Milloy was traded that

"They hate their coach"

and defended that point of view as fact.

I'm sure that's the majority of it but I'm only on Chapter 7 of Patriot Reign...I think that part is coming up.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Not a slam at anyone particular here, but I am always flabergasted at how Saint Louis can have such great baseball fans and such horrible football and college sports fans. It is like this town doesn't remember the decades of football futility before Vermiel (and more specifically Martz) came to town and brought us a world championship.

Let's look at the past two years for which Martz has been slammed for. Last season he takes the ball out of the hands of possibly the most popular sports figure in town at the time, is tore to shreads, and his team goes 12-4. Then he does go conservative, but loses to a very good Carolina team that go be on to win at Philadelphia and almost win the Super Bowl. (By the way, why is it Martz's fault that the next great white hope couldn't make a simple tackle to keep us in overtime?)

Fast forward to this season. The Rams are not supposed to be good. Faulk, Bruce, etc. are aging. Turley is injured. We lost Wistrom to free agency. Basically it is going to be a rebuilding season as nobody is going to compete in the NFC West with the Super Bowl bound Seahawks. All of a sudden the Seahawks aren't as good as everyone thinks and that somehow changes the expectations of this team? We were supposed to be about 8-8 and we did exactly that and ended up getting in the playoffs!

I could get into the unrealistic expectations my alma matter has with it's basketball and football programs, but that is a whole other topic for another time. But let's just say the Saint Louis solution always seems to be to run someone out of town. Unless it is a baseball coach who hasn't been able to get the team over the playoff hump (last year notwithstanding) for over 10 years. But don't ever talk bad about baseball in Saint Louis or you will be taken outside and shot.

Great points and I agree with most of it. I will say however, LaRussa is blasted more than Martz is.. but that's also because baseball is 162 game season.

The thing I can't stand about Martz is how he jeopardizes the team by not utilizing someone like Jackson. There were a few games we could have won, I think, by running the football. Oh well, were in.

Todd