Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

I wonder where he resides.

Jimmy Jackson, who just got traded, is very well traveled in the NBA for being a good player, let's take a look at all the places:

'93-97 - Dallas
'97 - New Jersey
'98 - Philadelphia
'98 - Golden State
'99 - Portland
'00-01 - Atlanta
'01 - Cleveland
'02 - Miami
'03 - Sacramento
'04-'05 - Houston
'05 - New Orleans

That's a lot of friggin' teams for a career 15.2 ppg player.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Jimmy Jackson, who just got traded, is very well traveled in the NBA for being a good player, let's take a look at all the places:

'93-97 - Dallas
'97 - New Jersey
'98 - Philadelphia
'98 - Golden State
'99 - Portland
'00-01 - Atlanta
'01 - Cleveland
'02 - Miami
'03 - Sacramento
'04-'05 - Houston
'05 - New Orleans

That's a lot of friggin' teams for a career 15.2 ppg player.

Man, with Mashburn, Kidd and Jackson the Mavericks are gonna be perenial NBA title threats for the next 15 years.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

Back when he was dropping 25 ppg, Kidd had curly brown hair, and Mash wasn't so injury prone.

I just found out that Jim Jackson hasn't even reported to NOH and is now suspended.. can't blame the guy for not wanting to play on a 2-25 club.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know there was a thread about htis, but I'm too lazy to find it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I just found out that Jim Jackson hasn't even reported to NOH and is now suspended.. can't blame the guy for not wanting to play on a 2-25 club.

2-26.

I hate the Hornets because they are indirectly responsible for the loss of my favorite sports team in New Orleans (the Brass of the ECHL). I'm loving the Hornets being the worst team in the NBA.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Easy Mac

I hate the Hornets because they took a dump on the city of Charlotte.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Go Corsley Edwards!
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

You've got a thing for crap tonight havn't you?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
You've got a thing for crap tonight havn't you?

*runs and hides*
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular

*runs and hides*
That is far too funny to kill this thread.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:23 AM   #11
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Speaking of this, did I ever share on this board about the time I met Hugh McColl? If not, it is a pretty good Hornets-related story, with a bit of egg-on-Ben's-face too.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:41 AM   #12
korme
Go Reds

do tell do tell
Old 01-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
do tell do tell
OK. I'll have to explain a good bit of background info to get the full context of the story...

Now, I was raised in a working-class home, but attended (on academic scholly) a very elite private high school. Because of that, I spent some time in Country Clubs and with all the blue-bloods of Columbus, and some from Atlanta as well. Point being, I'm familiar with the high-society stuff in my home state, know most of the "important" family names, and, in my home town, generally know someone around my age from the "important" families. However, I found all that stuff silly and surface-y, and never got into the depths of it; I was just exposed to it. After moving away from my home town, I settled into friendships primarily with people in the working class-to-upper-middle class range--no blue-bloods. For nearly a decade, that's how things were, until my life came full-circle. As I've mentioned, I ended up dating and marrying a Carolina blue-blood. After having spent some times with the rich-folks-circle in Georgia as compared to the Carolinas, I'd offer this observation: In Georgia, they like to "play" high society, but in the Carolinas, they're SERIOUS about it. This became very evident the first time my eventual wife and I attended a blue-blood Carolina wedding.

SWMBO and I had been dating pretty seriously for a few months when her roommate got married. Her roomie had been a sorority sister at UNC, and apparently it was one of those sororities you only could get into based on your family name and pedigree. (Ross Perot's daughter was in it, as a matter of fact...) So, Simmons (yes, that really is her name...family name, of course) asked SWMBO to be in the wedding, of course, which meant that she got to show off her new black boyfried to all of Carolina society.

The wedding was in Charlotte, and I started to get a clue what I was dealing with at the rehearsal dinner. It was the largest I've ever been to other than my own--around 200 people. No one, I mean NO ONE, introduced themselves to another person by simply saying, "Hi, I'm Ben." Nope, you had to say your last name, too. And yes, every time she said "I'm Jennifer Ravenel," the response was identical: eyebrows raise in recognition (and surprise that a Ravenel is with a black guy, I'm sure. ), and the words, "Ah, of the Charleston Ravenels?" I'm not kidding you. It felt like I was in a friggin' movie. Of course, I could tell by the questions people were asking me that they were trying to figure out my lineage. Being that I live in the Atlanta area, the lines of questioning I received made it obvious that they were assuming that I was either a professional athlete, one of the sons of the Young/Jackson/King black Atlanta aristocracy families, or a friend of either her brother or cousins from medical or law school. I think it nearly short-circuited their little hard-wired brains that a Ravenel was dating just an ordinary black guy who is a youth worker.

On the next morning, there was a brunch at this big ol' mansion on the outskirts of Charlotte. I mean, this was clearly a former plantation; the slave quarters were still there even. This was a so-called "casual" affair, which mean I got to wear a suit, rather than black tie. "Casual" also meant that there was no assigned table seating. SWMBO and I were early, so we got our food, and grabbed a table with around 8 seats at it by ourselves. People--more curiosity seekers, I'm sure, who were trying to figure out who this black guy was (man, I'm cynical.... )--filled in the seats around us. Now, at the time, I didn't have a clue who he was, but after a few minutes, a gentlemen came and sat on my left and introduced himself to me as Hugh McColl. After the obligatory introductions, and Hugh commenting on the "damn fine house" that we were in, someone threw the question out, "So, what's the story with the Hornets?" and looked in what I thought was my direction. I'm thinking "FINALLY, some decent conversation around here. Sports!!!" (Keep in mind that by this point I'm starting to get annoyed with the quizzing of me and the boring conversations in general.) I started to say something about how they'd probably be ok if Mason could start hitting the medium-range jumper a little better, but SWMBO grabbed my pants leg shortly into my comments. It turns out that she (a banker at the time) knew that the question was for Hugh, not me. Hugh then responded "Well, George is just about outta money. He's gonna have to sell the team. I offered to buy it from him, but he just wants too damn much money!" Yeah, Ol' SkyDog is thinking the converstaion is about to turn to jump shots, rebounds, and setting picks, and the guy next to me is talking about buying the freakin' team.

...and then there's the time I was introduced to a guy at a Bible Study...had a hard time hearing what he said his name was, and when he said it again, said, "Oh, Ralph Reed! Got it. Like that Christian Coalition guy! {Chuckle}

Well, it turns out that it WAS "that Christian Coalition guy...." I gotta learn to keep my mouth shut in public.

--Ben
Old 01-02-2005, 04:58 AM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You were in a Bible study group with Ralph Reed? That musta been intense.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
You were in a Bible study group with Ralph Reed? That musta been intense.

CR
Well, not really. I've been AT a Bible study group a few times when he has been there, but I'm not a part of that group on a week-to-week basis by any means. A friend of mind who used to live in Tucker moved to another part of Atlanta and happens to be in the same neighborhood as Ralph, and my friend now hosts a neighborhood Bible study group that Ralph usually attends. Once or twice a year, my friend will ask me to come out there and either lead worship singing or do a mini-concert. So, on the times when I'm there, they don't do their normal routine.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think I'd ever seen a picture of him up to that point, just heard his name on the radio and read it in the newspaper. The guy looked like he was 25 years old when I met him, so it never occurred to me that it would be the "famous" Ralph Reed.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-02-2005 at 05:36 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Awesome story about the Hornets Ben.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote