Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FM: Harrogate is Moving on Up..

This is the 3rd season of my Harrogate Dynasty.

You can read about my struggles to survive my 1st season as a Lower League Manager in this thread: http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=32963

You can read about our winning the English Conferene North (as well as a brief synopsis of the 2006 World Cup) in this thread: http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...ad.php?t=33340

Now, I'm excited to take on the new challenge of the English Conference National. Hopefully, we can keep our core players healthy and on the team. As they had success they continue to draw interest from much bigger clubs. I'm going to try to keep them happy, and use them to ride up into League 2 hopefully.

I'll be posting minimal information about the friendlies that I'm about to play, but will start more detailed reporting when league play begins.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Congrats on the promotion. Very detailed dynasty...I'm digging it.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 10th, 2006 -

With the recent release of Turley and a few other players, we are finally under our wage budget of 6,200 dollars/week. I decide I need to quickly rectify this fact. I also need to hire a real keeper coach. Atkins is our only coach right now, and while Scarsella has developed, it's not thanks to Atkins coaching, IMHO. Atkins is a good outfielder coach, but not a good keeper coach.

I look through the rags to find a possible coach, and I notice one name that is intriguing to me. 39 year old Nigel Martyn has just recently retired from Southampton, and is now available as a coach. I wonder if I can talk him into being a backup and a coach. I contact him and he says he is really only interested in coaching at this time. He is seeking 750 dollars/week to coach my keepers. This seems quite pricey to me, but I decide good coaching is hard to find, and my gut tells me this guy could be a superb keeper coach. I offer him 750/week for 2 years.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 10th, 2006 -

Our first friendly is at home against Reading. I'm starting our best 11 with the plan to get them used to playing together again and to get them in game shape.

GK: Scarsella
DL: Barnard
DC: Morley
DC: Wall
DR: Shepherd (for the injured Black)
ML: Wright
MC: Surey (Atkins looks even slower and isn't the best option anymore - he is still a very solid backup I think)
MR: Collett
AMC: Kelly
SC: Smyth
SC: Palmer

During most of the 1st half, we dominated the time of possession. However, Reading's defense was quick and they shut down most of Smyth and Kelly's forays into the Reading box. Wall and Morley did a nice job of shuting down the counter attack, and Scarsella made 3 very good saves on shots that did get through.

0-0 at the half. I trot out my 2nd team to get them some work.

I'm happy to see that I now have a backup at every position.

I'm also happy to see that Reading (in English Championship now) has helped us draw a full house to our stadium of 3,774 fans!

The beginning of the 2nd half, I find myself amazed with the versatility of Dunning. He is playing well at DC and stopping the Reading attack.

54 minute mark: Dean Morgan receives the ball in the right corner.. wicked cross to Sam Parkin by the far post. My backup keeper, Dan Bridges tries to intercept the pass but he can't get to it. Parkin easily heads it into the net. 1-0 Reading.

88 minute mark: Dan Bridges makes a really nice save on a 20 yard curving shot.

Even though we lost 1-0, I found several things to be happy with. The 1st team played very well together. Simon Sturdy looked good as the backup left winger. The kid might finally be developed enough to be useful in a pinch. Ditto for Marc Smith at left fullback. Dan Bridges, who is only 19, looked quite good in goal. He really didn't have much of a chance on that first goal, and he made 3 nice saves. Our staff believes he led the team with an 8 for form.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Congrats on the promotion. Very detailed dynasty...I'm digging it.

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 11th, 2006 -

Today the World Cup Golden Boot award was given to Peru's Claudio Pizarro for his 5 goals. Brian McBride of the USA came in 2nd, and David Trezeguet of France came in 3rd.

Turkey's Sanli Tuncay was recognized as the World Cup's Best Player. David Beckham of England came in 2nd. DaMarcus Beasley of the USA came in 3rd.

Tim Howard of the USA won the award for best World Cup Goalkeeper. Paul Robinson of England came in 2nd.

My scout pointed out a promising keeper to develop yesterday. Richard O'Connor came up through the Chelsea youth academy but was released on a free transfer. Word is that he has some promise with particularly quick reflexes. I decide to contact him. He states he wants 220 dollars/week. I offer him 160 dollars/week for 2 years. Today, he decided to accept this deal.

We now have 2 potentially quality young keepers to develop behind Scarsella.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
thealmighty
Pro Starter

I'm into this like it was my team. Keep it up.

Congrats on the promotion. Is it bad thath, having read some of your other stuff, I expect you to promote again at the end of this season? Pressure is on.

Things I may have missed: Did you ever hire any more physios? Also, could you tell me what the levels of play are- exactly how high are you now and how far do you have to go to get to the top league?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:52 PM   #8
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
July 10th, 2006 -

With the recent release of Turley and a few other players, we are finally under our wage budget of 6,200 dollars/week.

you shouldn't really worry about the wage budget, last season I was 30,000€/month (54,000€ instead of 25,000€) above my wage budget, I ended earning 47,257€ at the end of the season.

Winning the league and a cup helped a lot, having a competitive team always bring money.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #9
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

dola

btw something funny, in my game just like in your, Klinsmann was fired just after losing to Brasil on PK in the world cup final.

Looks like the German Federation is run by a bunch of assholes
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
Also, could you tell me what the levels of play are- exactly how high are you now and how far do you have to go to get to the top league?

He's still got a way to go. The Conference is the FIFTH highest league in English Football, it's also the dividing line between "semi-pro" and true "professional" football.

Here's how the English Pyramid works out.

English Premier League
Coca-Cola Championship
League 1
League 2
Conference National
Conference North/South

But at least some of the Conference games get televised (you saw he got paid for TV rights, right? )
Old 12-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
I'm into this like it was my team. Keep it up.

Congrats on the promotion. Is it bad thath, having read some of your other stuff, I expect you to promote again at the end of this season? Pressure is on.

Things I may have missed: Did you ever hire any more physios? Also, could you tell me what the levels of play are- exactly how high are you now and how far do you have to go to get to the top league?

Thanks. I also expect to get promoted again, despite Mr. Fotherby's expectations that we will battle against relegation.

I really like the strength of our first team. I think that Smyth, Kelly, and Palmer can be dominant or at least very good even in this league. I also like my defensive line now that I've acquired Wall and Morley. As long as Wall continues to progress and doesn't crack under the pressure of starting, I expect him to be VERY good. The biggest obstacle could be if too many big clubs increase their pursuit of Kelly, Smyth, and Scarsella. I'm still shocked by that offer of 170,000 dollars for Smyth last year.

I'm in the English Conference National now.. If I get promoted, I will go to League 2. If I can somehow get promoted there then I will get promoted to league 1. If I can win that, I would get promoted to the European Championship League. If I can promoted from there, I would enter the English Premiere League (where Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and the other very elite teams play.) Quite honestly, I doubt I can take this team that high, but I will try! Right now, the team is still very low in the grand scheme of things.

I still only have 1 physio. I'm placing a priority on getting a coach for my keepers, because Atkins isn't very good at that. Actually, he is downright horrible. I feel the need to develop a young keeper, because I'm afraid Scarsella is eventually going to want to go to a higher level club. I'm hoping that I can hire an additional physio after getting promoted to League 2 (keeping my fingers crossed that this will happen this season.)

In summary, I'm in the 2nd lowest league of 6 levels of play.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm in the English Conference National now.. If I get promoted, I will go to League 2. If I can somehow get promoted there then I will get promoted to league 1. If I can win that, I would get promoted to the European Championship League. .

yeah sure
Old 12-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

SirFozzie's answer is much more clear
Old 12-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oops. I even took a while typing that and checking it for errors.

Edit: Of course, it should be the England Championship League (Which is apparently called the Coca-Cola Championship?)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-30-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 13th, 2006 -

Former EPL keeper, Nigel Martyn has agreed to come coach for us! He still has significant playing skills, but he is only willing to be a coach. I wonder if he will ever change his mind should Scarsella go down with an injury. In any case, by all reports, Martyn is an excellent teacher who should be wonderful in instructing our young keepers.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oops. I even took a while typing that and checking it for errors.

Edit: Of course, it should be the England Championship League (Which is apparently called the Coca-Cola Championship?)

Coca-Cola actually supports The Championship and Leagues 1 and 2, I've seen it referred to as the Coca-Cola Championship, just like the premier league is "officially" recognized as the "Barclaycard English Premier League"
Old 12-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
after your in the English Premier League , what is there left to do?

By finishing in the top X amount of positions (varies from year to year), you earn the right to play in European competitions (a nation gets a certain amount of entries ino the two European competitions, the Champions League and the UEFA Cup) depending on how well that nation's teams have done over the last five years.

There's also a mini competition, called the Inter Toto cup (also known as the Inter Two-Bob, because the level of the competition is lower), that gives three teams a berth in the UEFA Cup.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
He's still got a way to go. The Conference is the FIFTH highest league in English Football, it's also the dividing line between "semi-pro" and true "professional" football.

Here's how the English Pyramid works out.

English Premier League
Coca-Cola Championship
League 1
League 2
Conference National
Conference North/South

But at least some of the Conference games get televised (you saw he got paid for TV rights, right? )

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 14th, 2006 -

Playing our old buddies Worksop today mainly as a good confidence builder. I plan on our goals scoring at least a goal or two in the first half before I pull the starters. Worksop also has their starters in the game, including the dangerous Dene Cropper.

Only change is that Black is in at right fullback for Shepherd.

19 minute mark: Palmer intercepts a pass at midfield... he sends a quick pass to Smyth who is 25 yards out.. Smyth takes a few dribbles to the edge (right corner) of the box.. he shoots.. lower right corner.. it's a very hard shot.. into the goal before the keeper can even really react. GOAL!!! 1-0.

39 minute mark: Smyth gets the ball at the left edge of the box.. crosses for Palmer at the far post.. Palmer heads it.. Kristian Rogers leaps and makes a great save!

End of 1st half, I'm quite happy that all of my starters have 7's for form. They all played well, and are nicely rounding into shape. I bring in my entire second team.

52 minute mark: Bridges with a nice save on a shot by Cropper!

56 minute mark: Bridges tips another Cropper shot over the bar. Cropper is abusing Curtis. Curtis is just too slow to keep up with him. Dunning is trying to help, but not doing so great.

61 minute mark: Cropper with a dribble between Curtis and Dunning.. shoots for the upper right corner from 15 yards out.. Bridges can't get to this one.. GOAL. 1-1.

65 minute mark: Cropper receives a long pass.. he is all alone in the box (sheesh when is Worksop going to put in the subs).. Cropper shoots.. Bridges dives to his right.. tips it over the bar.

75 minute mark: Most of Worksop's players have been subbed out.. but not Cropper.. he runs into the box.. Shepherd tackles him.. nice tackle! Cropper looks hurt. He has to limp off the field.

Game over. 1-1 tie.

Dan Bridges had a 9 and won MoM. He played quite well, all things considered.

Really, everyone played well this game, and I'm quite happy with what I'm seeing on the pitch in these tune up games.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Coca-Cola actually supports The Championship and Leagues 1 and 2, I've seen it referred to as the Coca-Cola Championship, just like the premier league is "officially" recognized as the "Barclaycard English Premier League"

Makes sense. Those darned sponsors getting into everything.. oh.. I almost forgot they are giving Harrogate 60,000 dollars a year. LOVE those sponsors!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Win it all! Be the best, in the best league in England. It's extremely hard to do (even if you are controlling one of the powerhouse teams.) Also, try to win the English Premier League, the European Championship, and the English League cup in the same year. Doing the triple is always fun! (I did it once with Man Utd in CM 03/04 )
Old 12-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 17th, 2006 -

Germany appointed Hertha boss Ottmar Hitzfield as the new German National Coach.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 18th, 2006 -

Today we host EPL team Q.P.R. I'm hoping for a large crowd.

Again, I will start our top team for the first 45-60 minutes, and then bring on the subs.

16 minute mark: Jamie Cureaton gets called for a trip on Wright. Yellow card for Cureaton... he argues with the ref.. he is in the ref's face.. second yellow card.. he is outta here!

The first half is over. 0-0 at the half. Their defense is so quick to shut down Smyth. Smyth had one opportunity in the box, but their defenders quickly closed in on him. However, our defense played very well also, and we shut down all of Q.P.R's opportunities before they really developed. I'm very happy with my defensive line.

I decide to leave the starters in for a few more minutes as their wind is improving and they aren't too tired yet. I want to build up some more endurance in them.

60 minute mark: Scarsella made a few good saves in the 2nd half. Now, I'm putting in the entire second string.

80 minute mark: I'm amazed as Bridges makes a nice save.. quickly passes it to Fox at midfield.. Fox sends a through ball to the edge of the box.. Lee Morris gets to it.. shoots.. could it be?... no WAY wide right.

Game over. 0-0 tie. Scarsella wins MoM and played quite well.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 23rd, 2006 -

Today we host Lincoln City (League 2) and I'm hoping to see how our regulars fare against a team that is slightly above us in quality. Hopefully, we'll have a nice crowd today. With this being our 4 friendly, this will be the game where I try to push my starters the most, making sure they are nice and fit for the season. I'll likely rest my starters most of the 5th game, and then play them quite a bit in the 6th friendly as their is a long layoff between the last friendly and the start of league play.

3 minute mark: Ryan France steals the ball at midfield.. he dribbles down the right side of the field.. around Morley.. passes it into the center of the box for Francis Green. Green immediately kicks it low and to the left of Scarsella.. Scarsella is a second slow reacting. GOAL. Down 1-0.

Half time: We are down 1-0 and I'm somewhat disappointed by my Trio of Palmer, Smyth, and Kelly. They don't appear to be playing very well this half with the exception of Smyth who is doing alright (but not great like I expect.)

65 minute mark: I've seen enough from the starters, and decide to bring in the 2nd string.

Game over. 1-0 loss. I'm very happy with what I saw from the 2nd string. Kelly was disappointing with his effort this game. Hopefully, that doesn't carry over to the league play.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:25 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 27th, 2006 -

Our 5th friendly is at Southport of the English Conference North. We'll be starting mostly backups. I'm going to give our new backup keeper Richard O'Conner a start this game as I've already seen that I can play Bridges in short burst and I want to see what O'Conner can do.

It's 0-0 at half time. We totally dominated time of possession even with mostly backups. O'Conner never faced a shot. However, our 3 shots were easily stopped by the opposing keeper.

Our backups played the whole game.. It's hard to judge how O'Conner played since he never faced a shot the whole game. We only had 3 shots on target which Steve Dickinson stopped for Southport. Overall, I'm quite happy with the quality of play of my backups.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

July 31st, 2006 -

Today we host Darlington (League 2) at home in our final friendly. After reconsidering, I decide that I'm going to play my starters most of the game due to the 13 day layoff before the start of league play.

At the 8 minute mark: Surey intercepted the ball at midfield.. dribbled to the left wing.. sends a long pass towards the box.. Collett jumps.. heads it.. into the GOAL!!! 1-0.

29 minute mark: Collett is injured and will have to leave the game. Darn it! I bring on Fox who is really developing.

Halftime: 1-0 with our defense preventing most scoring opportunities. I think that Wall and Morley are starting to get to know each other better and cover for the other. The defensive line is truly impressing me in these friendlies. Hopefully, they can keep the superior play up once league play starts.

70 minute mark: Scarsella has made several nice saves. I decide to bring in the 2nd team. Overall, the team is playing well but the offense needs to become sharper as the season progresses.

90 minute mark: Marc Smith with two big tackles from the left fullback position. Bridges then proceeds to stop a point blank shot from the striker, Danny Allen.

Game over. 1-0 win for us.

They outshot us 15-9 (4-1 on goal)

Scarsella wins MoM.

Alright, it's time to start league play!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 2nd, 2006 -

Today the oddsmakers published the odds of each team winning the English Conference National. Barnet are 6-4 favorites. Hornchurch, Morecambe, and York are all 7-4 contenders. Aldershot is considered a possibility at 2-1 odds. Exeter is next at 6-1. We are long shots at 33-1 to win promotion. I wonder if anyone would mind if I put 50 dollars on us?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 10th, 2006 -

Two days ago my scout spotted two guys who had been released on free transfers that he thought I should sign. He brought me plenty of video footage to back up his assertion. First was Joe Barnett. Joe is a versatile 18 year old who has been known to line up anywhere along the defensive line or midfield he can play DL, DC, DR, ML, MC, or MR. He has very good speed and excellent acceleration from looking at the video tapes. His main problem is a lack of strength. Hopefully that might develop as he gets older. It's clear that he plays with a lot of determination when he plays. I'm somewhat surprised that Liverpool let him go on a free transfer. He played well in 2 games for them last year. In any case, I contact him and he says that he wants 220 dollars/week and he wants to be guaranteed a big role. I tell him that I will offer 190 dollars/week, but I can only guarantee that I will rotate him onto the field. Today, two days later he agreed to my offer as he is anxious to play regular football again! I think Joe will be a very valuable sub who can fill in at quite a few spots.

The second player was Mike Davies who was released on a free transfer by Chelsea. Mike Davies is a 17 year old attacking midfielder who can play in the center or out on the right wing. Much like Joe, Mike has excellent speed but lacks strength. He can really get pushed around out there. However, Mike has excellent determination which I like. He seems to be a gifted passer, but has difficulty with crossing passes. Hopefully, he can develop that skill. I see him being a very valuable sub as well. He asks for 280 dollars/week and a major role on the team. I tell him that I will pay him 240 and offer him a spot in the rotation. Today, he agreed to his deal as well! Now, we are a little over the wage budget, but I feel we just upgraded the talent of our second team quite a bit. Plus, both of these guys are young and could develop into very good players if they can develop some strength and work on the weak areas in their games.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:21 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 11st, 2006 -

Darn it. The vultures are spreading to other morsels on my team. Now, Macclesfied (League 2) wants my left winger Andrew Wright. They are making an enquiry to see how much I want for him. I decide to tell them that he is an important first team player and I don't plan on selling him at any price.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:32 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 12th, 2006 -

Today we start the regular season! We travel to play Kidderminster for our first game. Kidderminster was relegated from League 2 last year, and should be a tough matchup. They have right winger Jemal Johnson on loan from Blackburn and he appears to have played very well last year. Aaron Wilbraham is a skilled striker. Adam Bartlett is a 20 year old keeper who looks like he could be very good one day. Heck, my scout says he already looks good.

Not Surprisingly, Kidderminster is a heavy 4-5 favorite. This will be our first meeting against them ever.

It's going to be a dry, hot day with temperatures in the low 90's.

Lineup:

DR: Black
MC: Surey (Atkins is definitely 2nd or 3rd team with his total loss of all speed.)

S1: Dan Bridges
S2: Dunning
S3: Farrell
S4: Joe Barnett (his versatility makes him a sure sub or starter almost every game)
S5: Mike Davies (tough decision - but I want to give him a chance to play if we get a good lead.)
Old 12-30-2004, 07:57 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Wall intercepts a pass by Jemal Johnson at midfield (what the heck was he doing rushing up there!?!) and Wall immediately passes it to Collett on the right wing.. Collett plays a through ball that bounces just outside the box.. Kelly is racing to it.. Bartlett is racing to it.. Kelly beats him to it.. uses his chest to gain control of it.. dribbles to his right.. the keeper is out of position now.. Kelly shoots.. into the net!!! GOAL!!!! 1-0! What a start to our season!

5 minute mark: Smyth steals the ball from Jemal Johnson.. he has it on the left wing.. plays a perfect ball between a few players that bounces at the edge of the box.. Palmer gets to it.. dribbles once to his left.. shoots.. going for the left side of the net.. It's past Bartlett... GOAL!!!!! 2-0! What an amazing start!!!

13 minute mark: Johnson gets the ball at midfield.. he sends it to the left corner.. Enoch Showunmi gets to it.. he centers for Aaron Wilbraham in the middle of the box... Aaron has the ball in the box.. he shoots for the lower right corner.. Scarsella runs over.. dives.. tips it wide of the goal.

23 minute mark: Johnson takes a long range shot which Wilbraham redirects inside the box.. suddenly instead of heading towards the center of the net.. it's off his head towards the upper right corner.. Scarsella moves with amazing reflexes.. blocks it.. Wall clears the rebound.

28 minute mark: Jemal Johnson gets the ball.. great through pass to Showunmi (who I had a chance to sign, but didn't due to a lack of footspeed)... Showunmi unleashes a blistering shot for the upper right corner.. Scarsella dives.. he can't get to it.. GOAL. Still up 2-1.

31 minute mark: centreback Wayne Hatswell bodychecks Kelly as he tries to dribble into the box. Whistle Blows. Hatswell is given a redcard for the illegal bodycheck! Nah Nah Na Nah... Nah Nah Na Nah .. Goodbye.

Halftime: We are up 2-1.

54 minute mark: Wright gets a pass from Barnard at the left wing. Right Winger Mazin Ahmad tackles Barnard.. Barnard gets up before Ahmad.. gets to the ball.. flicks a pass down the field to Smyth.. Smyth immediately centers for Kelly who is about 18 yards out at the center of the field. Kelly immediately unleashes a shot so hard that I couldn't even see it. It was a blur! The keeper had no chance to react as it sailed to the left of him! GOAL!!!! 3-1.

62 minute mark: Johnson has the ball at midfield.. he passes it into the box.. Jesper Christiansen (who had just come on for Showunmi) unleashes a hard shot.. Scarsella blocks it.. then pounces on the rebound!

64 minute mark: Farrell on for Palmer (slightly injured) and Matt Davies on for Collett.

72 minute mark: Barnett on for Wright.

Game over! 3-1 win!

They outshot us 9-6 (5-3 on target)

Greg Kelly was one of 8 guys to get an "8" for form. The remainder of the team had 7's. Kelly won MoM, 12 of 19 passes, 1 of 2 tackles, 6 of 14 headers, 4 runs, 2 goals.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:09 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 13th, 2006 -

Mr. Fotherby couldn't hide his delight after the game. He is gushing to the press about what a great manager I am. He also told them, he fully expects me to prove the pundits wrong this season.

Glad to know that he has confidence in me.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:25 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 15th, 2006 -

Only 3 days after our first win, we have our second match. This time we are facing Farnborough on the road. They finished 15th in the conference last year. They are led by striker Ali Chaaban who is a 23 year old from Lebanon with very good speed. Stephed Hughes is a skilled midfielder, but the remainder of the midfield doesn't look particularly skilled. Lee Miles is an above average defender. Keeper Craig Halloway is a former Arsenal youth product who has played well for Farnborough the last few years.

We played this team in a friendly 2 years ago, and won that match 3-0.

We are 6:4 favorites.

It's a slightly overcast day with temperatures in the high 60's.

Lineup:

ML: Barnett (Wright is still tired from the last game)
MC: Surey

S4: Shepherd
S5: Mike Davies

I really like the improving depth on my team and that I can finally start feeling comfortable with some changing of my lineups from game to game.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Barnard gets a yellow card for a trip on Chaaban.

6 minute mark: Hughes gets the ball on a long pass from the defender.. they have a 2-1 breakaway on the counter attack.. Hughes dribbles towards the left post.. Wall tries to cut off the passing lane.. Scarsella is playing Hughes.. Hughes passes to the center of the box for Chaaban.. Scarsella runs towards the center of the net.. Chaaban shoots.. Scarsella dives.. he tips the ball over the bar.. what a save!

On the ensuing corner, Paul Harkness aims for the far corner where Chaaban is there. Morley jumps, but mistimes it.. he misses the header.. Chaaban heads it.. Scarsella can't get to it.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

44 minute mark: Barnett with a great steal in the enemy's turf.. he passes to Smyth in the left corner.. Smyth centers for Kelly.. Kelly hits it on the half volley.. over Halloway's left shoulder.. GOAL!!! 1-1.

Half time: 1-1.

61 minute mark: Morley makes another mistake giving Chaaban a wide open opportunity in the box.. Chaaban shoots.. Scarsella blocks it. Morley has had a bad game.. 4 for form.. I yank him for Shepherd.

68 minute mark: Hughes steals the ball from Collett, passes it to Harkness.. Harkness has it in the right corner.. Harkness sends a fast pass across the pitch.. Striker Lee Riddell dives by the near post.. diving header connects with the ball.. into the net. GOAL.. Down 2-1.

70 minute mark: Davies on for Collett, Farrell on for Palmer.

82 minute mark: Surey gets the ball from Wall.. Surey dribbles up the field.. shoots from 22 yards out.. Halloway saves it.

85 minute mark: Davies takes a throw in deep in enemy turf along the right sideline.. Barnett takes it to the right corner.. nice cross.. Kelly is by the near post.. he hits it on the half volley.. it's heading towards the near goal post.. just inside the post.. GOAL!!!! 2-2. That is Kelly's 2nd!

89 minute mark: Shepherd with a key header to prevent a corner kick from meeting Riddell's head.

Game over. 2-2 tie.

We were outshot 17-6! (9-4 on goal)

Greg Kelly won MoM, 11 of 16 passes, 2 of 3 tackles, 4 of 13 headers, 3 interceptions, 1 run, 2 goals.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 17th, 2006 -

Peterborough (3rd in League 1 currently) have sent an enquiry for Scarsella. I'll tell them the same thing that I keep telling everyone. He is not for sale! However, the number of interested teams is growing to a truly disconcerting number.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 PM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 19th, 2006 -

Today we play our first home game in the new conference. We are currently 6th in the league, and we face 21st place Hornchurch. Hornchurch finished 3rd in the conference last year, so their current position is surprising. However, their star striker Bertie Brayley has been injured for the first week of the season and he is still out. Charlie Taylor is a talented striker, and we must keep a close eye on him. Stuart Lewis a young but talented 18 year old midfielder. Lee Matthews has played very good defense in front of the keeper. Speaking of the keeper, Matthew Baker has played well so far this year, only giving up a goal a game, but Hornchurch didn't score any goals in either of those games. Hopefully, we won't give up their first goal of the season.

This is our first meeting with this team ever.

We are 6:4 favorites.

It's an overcast day with highs in the low 50's.

ML: Wright (back in after some rest - Also Barnett injured his shoulder in practice the other day and will miss 3-4 days.)

S4: Shepherd (played well as a defensive sub last game.)
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice, two games, four points on the road.

I'd put a fiver or two on you guys getting promoted for the 2nd straight season, but, it's not going to be easy.

BTW, do you guys sell season tickets?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

1st minute: Black intercepts it in our zone.. passes to Collett.. Collett with a great pass to Smyth.. he dribbles.. burns the defense.. into the box.. shoots.. wide right.

7 minute mark: Collett with an interception at midfield.. he passes it up to Kelly.. Kelly dribbles into the box.. shoots.. Baker deflects it.. Smyth races to get to the rebound.. Lee Matthews beats him to it.. Matthews attempts to clear.. Surey intercepts the clearing pass.. heads it to Kelly at the left side of the box.. Kelly immediately passes towards Palmer at the right post.. Palmer gets the pass.. jams it in! GOAL!!!! 1-0.

20 minute mark: Kelly was run over by Matthews.. he looks hurt.. he limps off the field.. the physio examines him.. both the physio and he think he can still play.. I decide to watch him closely.

28 minute mark: Surey intercepts a pass at midfield.. he plays it to Collett on the right wing.. Collett passes it to Kelly.. Kelly dribbles down the middle of the field.. into the box.. he shoots.. Baker blocks the shot.. Smyth is racing Matthews for the rebound.. Smyth beats him to it.. taps it in! GOOOOOAAALLLL!!! 2-0

42 minute mark: Taylor gets a long pass from Stuart Lewis.. running into the box.. Morley catches him from behind with a clean tackle.. sends the ball to Scarsella.

Halftime: 2-0 lead for us.

46 minute mark: Wall intercepts the ball from Taylor who was trying to dribble into the box.. passes to Barnard.. Barnard with a sharp pass to Kelly who is about 35 yards out.. Kelly draws two defenders.. passes to Palmer. Palmer turns on the speed.. burns a defender.. into the box.. dribbles to his right.. draws the keeper out.. dribbles right some more.. shoots the sharp angle.. Baker blocks it.. right back to Palmer.. he shoots the rebound.. it's past the keeper.. into the left corner.. GOAL!!!! 3-0!

63 minute mark: Farrell on for Smyth, Davies on for Surey.

Game over: 3-0 win!

We outshot them 16-3 (8-0 on target)

Palmer wins MoM, 19 of 22 passes, 0 tackles, 3 of 9 headers, 1 interception, 5 runs, 2 goals. Of note, Kelly had all 3 assists this game and also had a 9 for form.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nice, two games, four points on the road.

I'd put a fiver or two on you guys getting promoted for the 2nd straight season, but, it's not going to be easy.

BTW, do you guys sell season tickets?

I put 50 on us myself I agree it's going to be tough, but I like our start so far

Yes, we do sell season tickets! I recommend getting them now before we become sold out every game
Old 12-30-2004, 10:02 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

After the match, Mr. Fotherby insisted on giving the team a victory party! Morale is very high all throughout the team and the organization right now. Happy times.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 PM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I decided to praise Wright's recent performances (8 in every game so far) to a local newspaper reporter.

Wright responded in the newspaper the next day, saying he was glad to accept my praise but didn't feel he did enough this year yet to warrant it. I like his humility.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 PM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 26th, 2006 -

Today we are in 3rd place and we are hosting York which is in 10th place. York finished in 7th last year. York is led by a superbly talented young left fullback, Kris Taylor. Darren Dunning is a talented midfielder who has been playing well. Levent Yalcin and Andy Bishop are both talented young strikers. However, David Stockdale is an average keeper at best who has been having problems this year. If we can get past the defense in front of him, I think we can score on them without too much trouble.

We've never played York before.

York are HEAVY 4-7 favorites.

It's a slightly overcase day with temperature in the mid 50's.

S2: Barnett
Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

11 minute mark: We've been applying constant pressure early. Surey intercepts the keeper's goal kick at midfield with a well directed header towards Palmer.. He gets it at the right corner of the box.. dribbles towards goal once.. shoots for the far left post.. just wide.

13 minute mark: Barnard gets a yellow card for a trip on Andy Bishop.

29 minute mark: Smyht gets the ball on the left wing.. dribbles up the sideline.. crosses for Kelly.. Taylor intercepts it in the box. Taylor is stopping a lot of potential scoring opportunities, but we are controlling possession.

Half time: 0-0 game, but we've dominated time of possession. We've outshot our opponent 8-0 (only 2-0 on target shots)

46 minute mark: Collett bodychecks Darren Dunning! Collett pushes him after that. I'm not sure what made Collett so mad. Red Card for Collett! I pull Palmer out and bring in Davies to play right wing in my modified 4-3-1-1.

53 minute mark: Davies with a great pass to Kelly.. he is dribbling into the box.. Kevin Dawson the DC catches him from behind. The defense for York has been playing great all game, preventing us from getting really good offensive opportunities.

60 minute mark: Surey bodychecks Dunning! Dunning is getting under my team's skin Yellow card to Surey. Wall argues the call... Yellow card for Wall!

70 minute mark: Surey gets called for a trip on Dunning.. second yellow card.. he is ejected! I'm now down two men

I decide to sub in Farrell for Smyth who is tired. Also, I sub in Shepherd for Wall (so he doesn't get a 2nd yellow card.)

76 minute mark: They finally get a shot off, from Dunning from 20 yards out, but Scarsella saves it easily.

89 minute mark: Nathan Jones gets the ball at midfield and plays a perfect pass towards the right corner of the net for Paul Robinson, their substitute striker.. Robinson heads it into the goal before Scarsella can react. Goal. 1-0.

Game over. 1-0 loss. Very disappointing. How did Dunning get in their heads? Did he sleep with their wives and take pictures? Sheesh, my guys lost composure and it cost us this game. We were totally dominating the game until the two men went off the pitch.

We outshot them 13-6 (4-2 on goal.)

Darren Dunning own MoM, 26 of 36 passes, 4 of 4 tackles, 1 of 3 headers, 4 interceptions, 6 fouls drawed(!)
Old 12-31-2004, 02:35 AM   #44
jbmagic
Pro Starter

have you notice a different play of style in your new division from your previous division?

what your current formation you settle in using so far?

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
have you notice a different play of style in your new division from your previous division?

what your current formation you settle in using so far?

thanks

I've noticed that everyone is more skilled.. the defenders are quicker which is neutralizing my attack to some extent.

I've been using a 4-3-1-2 since the beginning of last season.

I have Barnard - Morley - Wall - Black along the back line.

Then across the middle line, I have Wright - Surey - Collett

I have Kelly along a 3rd line by himself (with instructions to run up and join the forwards)

Finally, the 4th line which are my forwards Smyth - Palmer.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 28th, 2006 -

York just sold their talented young left fullback, Kris Taylor, to Blackpool for 60,000 dollars. Glad to see one of my competitors weakening themselves. I just hope I don't find myself forced to do that in the near future.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

August 30th, 2006 -

Wow! A team is approaching me about borrowing one of my young players! In this case, Moor Green wants to borrow my 17 year old keeper, Richard O'Connor for 3 months. I don't plan on playing Richard much this season barring injuries, so I decide the first team action will be good for him. I make sure that I can recall him at any time, which I plan on doing if they don't play him. Hopefully, he agrees to go and get some experience.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:03 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

September 1st, 2006 -

Today Barnet sold their young star midfielder, 19 year old Jamie O'Hara, for 200,000 dollars to Plymouth. Barnet fans are angered that the team weakened themselves. I'm quite happy to see one of the reported top teams get weaker. Of course, it will be interesting to see who they bring in with the money.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:12 PM   #49
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

September 1st, 2006 -

The joys of being in a more professional conference! Today the conference announced their monthly award winners.

Canvey's Island's Jeff King won Manager of the month. I didn't finish in the top 3. Jeff led his team to 4 wins in the 1st month.

Burton Albion's Alan Martin won player of the month. The centreback has an 8.35 form for the month! Tim Sills of Aldershot Town came in 2nd, and Ceri Hughes of Newport County came in 3rd.

Aldershot's Brett Johnson won Young player of the month. The 21 year old left fullback has an 8 form for the month. Garry Hunter of Morecambe came in 2nd, and Matthew Coad of York City came in 3rd.

Garry Hunter of Morecambe won the goal of the month award too for a goal against Barnet which he dribbled it from the midfield, into the box, and then beat the keeper.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

September 9th, 2006 -

We are currently in 6th place and we travel to play 9th place Kettering today. Kettering was promoted from English Conference South last year. Liam Folds, their right fullback, has been playing very well for them this season. Young midfielder, Ryan Catney, has played very well also. Their striker, Darren Lynch, is averaging a goal a game and has 4 on the young season. Their keeper, William Coyles has been above average and will be tough to beat I suspect.

Kettering is a 5:4 favorite.

They beat us once, and we beat them 3-0 the last time we played them.

It's supposed to be sunny with temperatures in the low 50's.

MC: Atkins (playing due to Surey's ban for this game. He will be on a very short leash as I'm afraid his further diminishing of his physical skills may make him a liability on the pitch.)
MR: Davies (for the banned Collett)

S1: Bridges
S2: Barnett
S5: Dunning