Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

OT: Gambler's Paradise (Bowl Season)

I love Bowl Season. For whatever reason over the past 4-5 years it's the only time of the year I've really cranked up the profits in my football gaming.

I'm in for $400 on Tech tonight -5. The real pressure is that 2 of my best friends hopped in with me to make it a total of $750.

Go Tech.

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Some more winners for y'all:

UCLA -12.5
Virginia -6
Over Connecticut/Toledo 66
Louisville -14
Pittsburgh +16.5
Old 12-21-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I took tech as well, looks like a safe bet
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Yep looking good so far.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
TLK
Pro Starter

any thoughts on BG/Memphis?

thinking about BG -3 and the over (65)

Last edited by TLK : 12-22-2004 at 12:58 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I love Bowl Season. For whatever reason over the past 4-5 years it's the only time of the year I've really cranked up the profits in my football gaming.

I'm in for $400 on Tech tonight -5. The real pressure is that 2 of my best friends hopped in with me to make it a total of $750.

Go Tech.

Guess that was a good bet!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
sooner333
College Starter

I like the over tonight almost no matter what, under 70 points, as both teams have very good offenses and have given up points to teams with very good offenses (see the Memphis vs. Louisville and Toledo vs. Bowling Green games).

To a lesser extent, I like Memphis +3.5. The MAC was terrible out of conference this season. Bowling Green was the exception, but I like going by how the conference did outside of its own during the bowl season. I think Williams can run all day. But, in the end, I would probably stick with the over.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Take in the rain as a factor. It may limit the passing game. If that is the case Memphis +3.5 looks real good with the RB they have.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #9
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Virginia -6
Much as it pains me, I'm surprised Virginia isn't favored by more.
.... I'd have to go with laying the six points though.

EDIT: Well instead of those .... above that I hadn't edited my post when I meant to quote it, and then proceeded to delete a bunch of stuff about Fresno State and Virgina.

In short what I said was.

Fresno State's Team has a lot of great athletes, but also has some pretty big holes.
The Offensive Line and Defensive backfield stack up fairly well against even a lot of the best teams in the Nation. They really are that good, and that deep in both those spots. The D-Line and Linebackers as a whole are a bit of a weakness, and teams have run on the Dogs. The biggest weakness is the QB. His strength coming into this year is that he plays within himself, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. This year he had a horrible stretch of games where he couldn't complete anything downfield. During this run he threw more interceptions for Touchdowns than Touchdowns, and it wasn't even close.

If Virginia can run the ball and shut down the run to make Pinnegar carry the bulldogs, they should easilly cover the six. If they don't stop the run, or fail to run the ball well themselves, and Pinnegar doesn't make mistakes Fresno might be able to win. That scenario just didn't seem to likely to me last week when I originally typed this.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 12-28-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:57 PM   #10
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne

I saw the Georgia Tech line and almost shit my pants. The Tangerine Bowl now three years in a row has been a gift.
TT over Clemson
NC State over Kansas
Georgia Tech over Syracuse

I saw that Virginia line and lumped it in my head with Georgia Tech as a bad line. If I had a 'second lock of the millenium', it would be Virginia in that game.

As for tonight, I don't like the over/under either way. Gun to my head, I'd go Bowling Green, I think I'm going to lay off of it though.

Edit: Went and checked the line. Memphis is +125 on the money line. If I HAD to make a wager on this game, I'd go with Memphis on the money line.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 12-22-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
sooner333
College Starter

Well, the over happened, and almost in the first half. Also, Bowling Green took the line. As for tonight's games, I don't like them. I do like Hawaii and Virginia though in the upcoming days. Hawaii is always a lot tougher at home than on the road. Sure, those scores looked really bad against Fresno and Boise, but...they are coming off wins against Northwestern and Michigan State at home. Northwestern was going for a bowl berth, so it was still an important game for them. Anyway, for Hawaii it's another home game, for UAB it's a bowl game in an exotic location...I like Hawaii here. UVA-Fresno has already been talked about at length, but basically I think that UVA is a very quality team with solid coaching while Fresno has been riding the WAC schedule and a win over a very poor Kansas State team too far this year.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:00 PM   #12
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Allright It looks like I'm not qualified to hold a seven month old and post on an internet forum at the same time.

Quote:
Virginia -6

Quote:
.... I'd have to go with laying the six points though.

I guess I stand corrected.

Bulldog's RBs pile up a couple hundred yards rushing, and That allows Pinnegar to throw five Touchdowns on the way to an Overtime victory. Probably the biggest bowl win in ths school's history. If not for the embarrasing implosions against La Tech and UTEP, it'd easilly be the Bulldog's best year ever.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
If not for the embarrasing implosions against La Tech and UTEP, it'd easilly be the Bulldog's best year ever.

I heart Robert Rodriguez and Johnnie Lee Higgins...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:29 AM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

I have to think that Navy +3 is about the lock of the year.....
Old 12-30-2004, 01:34 AM   #15
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
I have to think that Navy +3 is about the lock of the year.....

Why do you think that? I believe that New Mexico is on a roll with their last five games being wins. On top of that, they played Oregon State tough and beat a ranked Texas Tech team.

I also like Northern Illinois over Troy. The line has been moving in Troy's favor, but I guess they have failed to realize how bad the Sun Belt conference is. A mediocre Southern Miss team beat the undefeated in-conference North Texas Mean Green. UNT beat Troy in the regular season. Northern is a team that has kind of flown under the radar this year with a solid RB and Troy is getting hyped because of a win over an overrated-at-the-time Mizzou team.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:21 AM   #16
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Why do you think that? I believe that New Mexico is on a roll with their last five games being wins. On top of that, they played Oregon State tough and beat a ranked Texas Tech team.

Quote:
Navy 34, New Mexico 19
Preview - Box Score - Recap New Mexico Navy

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
December 30, 2004

AP - Dec 30, 9:02 pm EST
More Photos
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Aaron Polanco noticed New Mexico's defense overloading the outside snap after snap, so Navy's quarterback kept the ball and ran all day.

In his final game, Polanco embarrassed the nation's eighth-best rush defense.

He ran for three touchdowns and passed for another, and Navy capped the academy's best season in 99 years with a 34-19 win over New Mexico in the Emerald Bowl on Thursday.

Polanco did just about everything else, too.

``I guess that's the way it worked out for me,'' he said. ``The line played their hearts out.''

Polanco scored on runs of 14, 1 and 27 yards and completed a 61-yard touchdown pass to Corey Dryden, the longest of the season by Polanco and the first career score by Dryden. The Midshipmen didn't have a turnover, and their defense was also impressive, despite the rain-soaked field at SBC Park.

The unit forced two first-half turnovers that led to TDs and staged a goal-line stand late in the third quarter. Then Navy kept the ball for the next 14 minutes, 26 seconds, and held New Mexico to only six plays in the fourth quarter.

The Midshipmen (10-2) tied for the most wins in school history, last accomplished when Navy went 10-1-1 in 1905. It was a fitting end for the Mids, some of whom will head off to war in the coming year. Less than two months ago, Navy's players dealt with the death of former teammate JP Blecksmith in a military operation in Fallujah, Iraq.

``With what's going on in the world, there's just a bond. You witnessed that today,'' said Paul Johnson, Navy's third-year coach, who has turned around a program that went 1-20 in the two years before he arrived.

``This team will go down in the annals as a very special team. I said after the game that I'm so happy for these players. They've seen the bottom of the barrel and now found success. Any time you can see hard work rewarded it makes your job worthwhile.''

Polanco, who will head to flight school next summer, finished the season with 16 rushing touchdowns, a record by a quarterback this year. Temple's Walter Washington ran for 15. Polanco gained a Navy bowl record 136 yards on the ground for his fourth 100-yard rushing game and threw for 101 yards. He even caught a 17-yard pass from Frank Divis to set up his second TD -- and his two receptions were most by any Navy player.

New Mexico quarterback Kole McKamey had nearly as big a day after the Lobos (7-5) lost star tailback DonTrell Moore to a severe left knee injury late in the first quarter that will require surgery within the next 10 days.

McKamey threw for 207 yards and also rushed for 138, the first Lobos player to accomplish the feat since Graham Leigh in 1997. But McKamey had two interceptions and only had a few chances down the stretch.

AP - Dec 30, 8:56 pm EST
More Photos
``I've never heard of a 14-minute drive,'' Lobos coach Rocky Long said. ``The strange thing is, we weren't playing bad defense.''

Being part of such a long drive is something players on both sides will remember. Those on the field were exhausted, and those watching also became tired.

``The drive to eat up the whole fourth quarter was huge. It was a great way to play defense,'' Johnson said.

Moore, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of the past three seasons and came in averaging 108.3 yards per game, was carted off the field after catching a shovel pass and taking a hard hit from cornerback Vaughn Kelley that caused Moore to fumble with 3:52 left in the first quarter.

Linebacker Lane Jackson pounced on the ball for his first fumble recovery this year, and Polanco scored five plays later. Jackson also made an interception as time expired in the first half.

The loss of Moore put additional pressure on McKamey.

``It was big,'' the quarterback said. ``DonTrell is so multitalented. He can run and catch the ball out of the backfield.''

Navy built a 21-7 lead eight seconds into the second quarter on Polanco's 61-yard touchdown pass to Dryden.

The Lobos couldn't stop Navy's impressive triple-option offense. The Midshipmen snapped New Mexico's five-game winning streak and kept the Lobos from their first bowl victory in 43 years.

New Mexico lost in the Las Vegas Bowl the past two years and hasn't won a postseason game since beating Western Michigan 28-12 in the 1961 Aviation Bowl. The Lobos had won 11 straight games when they scored first. The game's first punt didn't come until 1:01 before halftime. When New Mexico kicker Wes Zunker missed a PAT in the second quarter, he had his streak of 46 straight conversions snapped one shy of the school record.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:47 AM   #17
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, yeah...Navy was a good selection. I'm still 7-2 in my bowl picks this season though. 1-1 today with NM losing and NIU winning.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, yeah...Navy was a good selection. I'm still 7-2 in my bowl picks this season though. 1-1 today with NM losing and NIU winning.

I'm like 3-6 or so but got lucky to hit big first then take all the money out and not ever make the other bets.

Just another case of better being lucky then good.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Why do you think that? I believe that New Mexico is on a roll with their last five games being wins.

Anyone who ever bets on the Lowblows deserves to lose their money...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #20
Joe
Pro Starter

I just returned from Las Vegas, and it was a very good bowl season for me. Especially with the big-10 parlay of Minnesota +3, Wisconsin +7, Michigan +7, and Iowa +6.5. In other news, if you wanted to see me almost have a heart attack, watching the second half of the fiesta bowl was a good bet. Took under 29 for the 2nd half, and after seeing 28 points scored in the first 13 minutes, it was looking very bad. Then no points after that? Are you fucking kidding me? Lots of heavy breathing in that one. Pitt almost fucked me over. Seriously, who kicks a FG late in the 3rd down 35-7? WTF. Thank god that kicker sucks.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

UCLA -12.5
Virginia -6
Over Connecticut/Toledo 66
Louisville -14
Pittsburgh +16.5

For your sake, I hope you didn't bet all of these.