Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Registering Domain Names

Ok, so I'm a virgin to this process. I thought that I would ask for a little advice from the community.

I want to register a domain name that I may want to use in the future for a business that I'm thinking about developing.

Does anybody have any registering sevices that they would recommend?

Also, how much should this cost me on an annual basis?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks.

Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Router Help

I've used Godaddy for most of my domains and haven't had an problems. You can usually get domains for $5-10/year.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Router Help

Dola,

Some web hosts will offer to register domains for you, sometimes for free, but be careful on these offers. Make sure the domain is registered in your name not your web host if you get such an offer.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Thanks for the help, Router Help!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

*bump*

I also know virtually nothing about this process and was hoping someone could answer my questions. If I know Macromedia Dreamweaver, and I purchase a domain, do I simply upload HTML pages to a server and "create" my website that way? I've only created websites on my school's server, which is pretty easy, but have never done anything by remote. Is it difficult?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

samifan: Often the place you register the name with and the place that hosts your website are different companies. You'll want to find a company (or use the place where you register your name) to host your website, but once you get that arranged, uploading pages is usually a snap. About as difficult as setting up an email account. The place where you purchase a hosting account should have information on how to do everything.

As for registering domains, I've used namecheap.com, and everything has always gone well.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

Try Omnis.

I use them for more than one site and the service and uptime is great.
Good prices as well.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

I suggest Godaddy.com for domain registration and www.myqth.com or www.hostroute.com for web hosting. I've used both of them (myqth.com is a reseller of hostroute) for over 3 years and have rarely had issues.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Godaddy.com for registrations.

I think of them as "the company with the funny name" and was pretty hesitant about them the first time I used them. Since then though, probably a dozen different registrations with nary a wrinkle nor problem.

(BTW, did anybody else notice where godaddy was going to be a Super Bowl advertiser this year?)
Old 01-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
I suggest Godaddy.com for domain registration and www.myqth.com or www.hostroute.com for web hosting. I've used both of them (myqth.com is a reseller of hostroute) for over 3 years and have rarely had issues.

As far as I can tell from both websites, you get more for your money at www.myqth.com. So all I'd have to do is register my domain name for a year at godaddy.com, then sign up for a year at www.myqth.com and then create my website in Dreamweaver and upload any webpages and files as HTML and other file extensions? That's it?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
As far as I can tell from both websites, you get more for your money at www.myqth.com. So all I'd have to do is register my domain name for a year at godaddy.com, then sign up for a year at www.myqth.com and then create my website in Dreamweaver and upload any webpages and files as HTML and other file extensions? That's it?
Yep, that's basically it. $48 bucks for a year of hosting was great when that's all I needed but then I started getting more domains and more websites, so that's why I switched to Hostroute, it's the same exact service but Myqth has been reselling for a long time and has a old grandfathered package they sell. I'd say uptime has been about 99.8% in the 3 years I've had service, they have little hiccups every so often but their support has always got back to me and resolved the issue within 24 hours after opening a trouble ticket with them.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Godaddy.com for registrations
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
samifan24
Pro Starter

I created a website which I've saved on my college server. I graduated recently but would like to register www.myname.com and make it redirect to my college site. Basically I want to save everyone from typing in a long URL when they can just type myname.com. Does anyone know how I could go about setting this up?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I created a website which I've saved on my college server. I graduated recently but would like to register www.myname.com and make it redirect to my college site. Basically I want to save everyone from typing in a long URL when they can just type myname.com. Does anyone know how I could go about setting this up?

Just register the domain with Go Daddy, they have a forwarding service like that for domains.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:47 AM   #15
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Basically I want to save everyone from typing in a long URL when they can just type myname.com. Does anyone know how I could go about setting this up?
You can achieve the same thing using http://tinyurl.com It's not the same as a registered domain but you get the same effect for no cost.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

I register all my domains (around 200) on www.registerfly.com
They are cheap enought (under $10 per year) and their service is great.

Last edited by Icy : 05-16-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote