Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
cody8200
High School Varsity

Players age not on his players card?

This is one of the things I have wanted to see more than any other feature except for tracking playoff stats. Have you guys found an easy way to tell players age or do you just have to do the math of when the player was born versus what year it is now?

cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

I just look at experience to tell how old they are... if they are at 12-15, I know I won't have them much longer.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The math is easy enough.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
cody8200
High School Varsity

Yeh I understand its easy enough but why dshould it have to occur? I mean we have all kinds of other great info...I think the age would have been a simple subtraction away. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying...this should definetely be in the next FOF.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

I'm guessing it is an issue of redundancy. Because of the way chemistry works, DOB has to be there.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
Yeh I understand its easy enough but why dshould it have to occur? I mean we have all kinds of other great info...I think the age would have been a simple subtraction away. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying...this should definetely be in the next FOF.

Maybe Jim put a feature in where players do well if they play on their birthday.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

I wondered this as well. It's a matter of convenience.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

It definitely appears that there's room on the player card for it. I was just throwing out a guess as to why Jim hasn't already put it on there.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Actually, I usually have no idea what year I'm in. Honestly. If you stopped me mid-game and asked what year it was I'd be lucky to come within three.
Dude, it is right at the bottom of the screen.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
The math is easy enough.
Actually, I usually have no idea what year I'm in. Honestly. If you stopped me mid-game and asked what year it was I'd be lucky to come within three.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #11
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I like on Fido's utility (GOOD GOD why did I invoke this name again) when you go many years in the future you can still pull up players stats. I remember thinking I had played many years, saw the name Brett Favre still on the career leader list, pulled it up and it said he was 86 years old. I only realized then actually how many seasons I was going through.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
I like on Fido's utility (GOOD GOD why did I invoke this name again) when you go many years in the future you can still pull up players stats. I remember thinking I had played many years, saw the name Brett Favre still on the career leader list, pulled it up and it said he was 86 years old. I only realized then actually how many seasons I was going through.

What's Fido's utility?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
What's Fido's utility?

/\

yep, what is this utility? Ive been here 4 years and I guess I've totally missed it.

Last edited by cody8200 : 12-15-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Heh. I just thought of a very good reason that age is not in the game. FOF uses "weeks" rather than actual dates. It is never "January 2nd, 2005" in FOF--just "Week 17, 2005." Without using actual dates during the season, you can't have ages, come to think about it.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #15
Ben E Lou

Oh....and for those who asked about the utility in this thread, here ya go: http://www.benelou.com/ihof
Old 01-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #16
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, thats a great link with lots of incredibly useful stuff that we arent allowed to use ourselves. maybe someday. maybe someday....
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #17
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Heh. I just thought of a very good reason that age is not in the game. FOF uses "weeks" rather than actual dates. It is never "January 2nd, 2005" in FOF--just "Week 17, 2005." Without using actual dates during the season, you can't have ages, come to think about it.

Yep, no dates. I made a script for FOFL that parses and sorts Jim's transaction html (with VPI, we don't need it for IHOF )...I'd like to put some dates in there for reference, but there are none. I've thought about using some time functions to approximate a date from the week and the current year, but haven't done it yet (even then, I would need to be able to identify all *new* transactions to be able to link them up to the current week at the time).
Old 01-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #18
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I've always had the impression that age is irrelevant in FOF, which might be why it's not even listed. It seems to me the game uses years of experience for "aging" rather than actual age.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

I thought TCY Exporting showed conclusively that age, not experience, was the primary factor in determing retirement, but maybe I'm wrong...