Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
Bomber
High School Varsity

Pedro to the Mets

Gammons is saying Pedro is almost a lock to go to the Mets. They have an extra year guaranteed and the Sox say they aren't going to match it and think he'll sign with NYM.

4 years, 48 million

Last edited by Bomber : 12-13-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Bomber
High School Varsity

This is big. Its all over ESPN Radio.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Bomber
High School Varsity

Actually 4 for 50.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That's what ESPN radio was saying Saturday. So, they finally got one right?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Wow. Four years is crazy.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

and he doesnt get along with Piazza

should be interesting
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Bomber
High School Varsity

BREAKING NEWS: WBZ radio is reporting that it appears Pedro Martinez will be leaving the Red Sox to take a four-year, $50 million deal with the New York Mets. Nothing is official and neither the Red Sox or the Mets have made an announcement. -- Developing
Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
McSweeny
College Starter

just like Hudson to the Dodgers and Renteria to the Red Sox right? I've been amazed at how many of ESPN's reports have been wrong so far this offseason
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Good, now that Pedro has to go to bat, maybe he wont be such a badass. Harder to throw inside when you gotta hit too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
just like Hudson to the Dodgers and Renteria to the Red Sox right? I've been amazed at how many of ESPN's reports have been wrong so far this offseason

Don't forget Manny to the Mets. I'll believe it's a deal when the teams announce it. If he does leave, that certainly frees up some cash though. I wonder who they'll go after now that Pavano is likely a Yankee.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
Klinglerware
College Starter

I don't like the Mets, but this would be a good move for Pedro, if true. Shea is such an extreme pitcher's park, it even made Kevin Appier and his 88 MPH fastball look good... I would imagine that Pedro would enjoy similar results...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Good, now that Pedro has to go to bat, maybe he wont be such a badass. Harder to throw inside when you gotta hit too.

Yeah he didn't hit people when he was with the Expos.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #13
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
I don't like the Mets, but this would be a good move for Pedro, if true. Shea is such an extreme pitcher's park, it even made Kevin Appier and his 88 MPH fastball look good... I would imagine that Pedro would enjoy similar results...

For Pedro's sake I would hope so, as there were many games least season when he was topping out at 88-89 MPH.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
McSweeny
College Starter

geeze

4 years 56 million
Old 12-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

As a Red Sox fan, I'd be relieved if Pedro left. I don't think signing him is a good move. Shea and the NL make sense for him; he may get better results. However, I was thinking Pavano would come in a replace him. With Pavano gone to the Yankees, that leaves a rather large hole in the Red Sox rotation:

Shilling, Wells, Arroyo, Wakefield, and ??

Schilling's getting up there in years, and has had injury problems two years in a row. Wells is old as well. I like Arroyo and Wakefield eats up innings, but they need a number two starter who can spit out quality innings.

I like the idea of signing Renteria, though.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #16
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
geeze

4 years 56 million

Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #17
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Dola-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz

Bastard! Go steal somebody else's shortstop!

Last edited by Fonzie : 12-13-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:36 PM   #18
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
As a Red Sox fan, I'd be relieved if Pedro left. I don't think signing him is a good move. Shea and the NL make sense for him; he may get better results. However, I was thinking Pavano would come in a replace him. With Pavano gone to the Yankees, that leaves a rather large hole in the Red Sox rotation:

Shilling, Wells, Arroyo, Wakefield, and ??

Schilling's getting up there in years, and has had injury problems two years in a row. Wells is old as well. I like Arroyo and Wakefield eats up innings, but they need a number two starter who can spit out quality innings.

I have a strong suspicion that they'll end up getting one of the A's starters if there's anyway they can work out a deal.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #19
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Dola-

Bastard! Go steal somebody else's shortstop!

I know you're joking, but I think you hit on a issue that we'll see more and more of in the upcoming years: the Red Sox getting hated for their money. Now that they've won a World Series, they've gone from being a loveable underdog to being one of the few uber-teams that can afford to buy a good team.

Although it works to Boston's disadvantage, I think baseball needs to address the inequalities in the financial playing field.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:59 PM   #20
Anthony
Banned

i agree. it's not even fun how only 3 or 4 teams tops can afford to field competitive teams.

how can any sport not want a salary cap?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #21
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i agree. it's not even fun how only 3 or 4 teams tops can afford to field competitive teams.

how can any sport not want a salary cap?

yeah those marlins and angels sure had a hard time feilding competitive teams with their small payrolls didn't they?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #22
Desnudo
Coordinator

And the Twins and the A's.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #23
Bomber
High School Varsity

And on the flip side you have the Mets spending money and continuing to suck.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:16 PM   #24
Bomber
High School Varsity

For anyone waiting for confirmation:

No announcement from the Mets is scheduled, but Red Sox president Larry Lucchino has conceded that Pedro Martinez won't return to Boston.
"He was a great member of the Red Sox team for seven years, and a certain Hall of Famer," Lucchino wrote in an e-mail. "He will be missed, and we are disappointed to have lost him to the Mets and the National League." A deal will still have to be finalized with the Mets. The money may be essentially worked out, but Pedro will want his perks
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

at this point I think they better get one of the A's starters. Ben Sheets just doesn't excite me AT ALL. And neither does AJ Burnett. I want someone with a bit more of a track-record. Sure, talk all you want about Burnett winning a WS, but he doesn't have the experience to be a #2 guy on a WS-caliber team.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup. If Pedro can get 4/50 out of the Mets.. good for him. I'm just glad it's not us rolling the dice on his health for that long
Old 12-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #27
Swaggs
Coordinator

If I were a Red Sox fan, I would miss Pedro as a fan, but I would not be worried about the state of the team. Theo seems like he is capable and willing to build a team and if he loses Pedro's big salary, and possibly Manny's, he will bring in a combination of players with that money to replace him (or them).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #28
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
If I were a Red Sox fan, I would miss Pedro as a fan, but I would not be worried about the state of the team. Theo seems like he is capable and willing to build a team and if he loses Pedro's big salary, and possibly Manny's, he will bring in a combination of players with that money to replace him (or them).

exactly. I love Pedro and will miss him dearly, but i cannot begrudge him for taking that kind of money/years. I have some amazing memories of him in a Red Sox uniform.

But

In Theo I Trust. He's done a pretty damn good job so far, and i have faith in him until he proves me wrong
Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #29
vtbub
College Starter

Pedro has always been an enigma.

Too bad his ego got in the way of winning.

He's an aging 34 year old pitcher capable of going 6 innings or 100 pitches and that's it. It would have been nice to see him retire in Boston, but the Sox are better without that contract.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #30
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
I know you're joking, but I think you hit on a issue that we'll see more and more of in the upcoming years: the Red Sox getting hated for their money. Now that they've won a World Series, they've gone from being a loveable underdog to being one of the few uber-teams that can afford to buy a good team.

Although it works to Boston's disadvantage, I think baseball needs to address the inequalities in the financial playing field.

Am I the only person that loves to hate the Yankees so much that they think a cap would be a very bad idea for baseball?
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #31
Bomber
High School Varsity

They've got money to burn now lets see what they do with it. Option 1 seems to be overpaying Renteria. Follow that up with signing Clement, probably at far more than he deserves, but that's how this offseason has been. Then try to trade Arroyo, Hanley, and maybe something else for either an A's pitcher (never going to happen), Ben Sheets (supposedly untouchable), or A.J. Burnett (would be a good move, but the Yankees are already there and I think they'll make a better offer if it comes down to it). I almost forgot, whenever Tek realizes he has no market and isn't getting 5/50, he'll re-sign with the Sox. I'm guessing he'll get 4/40.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #32
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
They've got money to burn now lets see what they do with it. Option 1 seems to be overpaying Renteria. Follow that up with signing Clement, probably at far more than he deserves, but that's how this offseason has been. Then try to trade Arroyo, Hanley, and maybe something else for either an A's pitcher (never going to happen), Ben Sheets (supposedly untouchable), or A.J. Burnett (would be a good move, but the Yankees are already there and I think they'll make a better offer if it comes down to it). I almost forgot, whenever Tek realizes he has no market and isn't getting 5/50, he'll re-sign with the Sox. I'm guessing he'll get 4/40.

If Edgar is willing to move to second in '06, then getting him is a good move. Clement is at least still on the young side of his career, definite risk here. I also wonder at this point if we take a shot at Derrick Lowe again.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:00 PM   #33
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
If Edgar is willing to move to second in '06, then getting him is a good move. Clement is at least still on the young side of his career, definite risk here. I also wonder at this point if we take a shot at Derrick Lowe again.

DLowe is going to get money he's not worth where ever he goes. I don't see him back in Boston. Clement is definitely risky, but there isn't much left out there on the open market. If the Sox sign Edgar its going to be to a 4 year deal. That tells me Hanley is going somewhere for pitching.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #34
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think it's more likely they'd try and resurrect Cy Young before resigning Derek Lowe. You don't get the feeling they think very highly of him.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:04 PM   #35
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
DLowe is going to get money he's not worth where ever he goes. I don't see him back in Boston. Clement is definitely risky, but there isn't much left out there on the open market. If the Sox sign Edgar its going to be to a 4 year deal. That tells me Hanley is going somewhere for pitching.

You know, that is the downside of playing in a large market. With the pressure to win all the time you end up trading away all your prospects for someone who can help you win right now.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:34 PM   #36
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
You know, that is the downside of playing in a large market. With the pressure to win all the time you end up trading away all your prospects for someone who can help you win right now.

The thing I've learned is most of these guys don't pan out, but when they do it definitely sucks.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #37
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is ironic that Renteria may end up making more than Nomar and play for the Red Sox in 2005.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #38
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:

You're absolutely right - joking aside, I already resent the money the Red Sox can throw around. I will admit that attitude might have something to do with them: 1) sweeping my Cardinals in the World Series and; 2) trying to steal our shortstop. But now that the Sox have won the World Series it will be harder for the average fan to sympathize with them as much - they're becoming just a slightly smaller version of the Yankees.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #39
Desnudo
Coordinator

They started it!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:11 PM   #40
Blackadar
Retired

I'm a Sox fan and I've always said that MLB should address the inequities in the game funding.

Back to Pedro...as a Sox fan, you have to love Pedro. But I'm very relieved we didn't resign him. I think he's aging, breaking down and doesn't show the work ethic that is required to pitch into his late 30s. We can take that $12.5m and spend it on two or three good players who may turn out to be like Ortiz. Pedro may prove his worth for a season or two, but I think the Mets will end up with the short end of the stick.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:28 PM   #41
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Boston Globe is reporting the deal as complete, pending a physical.

Pedro to the Mets for 4 years and $50 million.

Whew. Very relieved the Red Sox didn't spend this money on him. I just don't think he's going to produce anywhere close to that value over the next four years.

My only concern is that this is exactly how I felt when the Red Sox lost Clemens.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think they're two different personalities though. Clemens took it personally when he left and got into incredible shape after having let himself go for a long time. I don't know if Pedro has that kind of make-up. At least he's out of the AL.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:35 PM   #43
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Boston Globe is reporting the deal as complete, pending a physical.

Pedro to the Mets for 4 years and $50 million.

Whew. Very relieved the Red Sox didn't spend this money on him. I just don't think he's going to produce anywhere close to that value over the next four years.

My only concern is that this is exactly how I felt when the Red Sox lost Clemens.

I also thought it was smart of the Sox to get rid of Clemens - but at least with Clemens he had the physique to possibly pitch well as he aged. Pedro doesn't, so I think the chances of him pulling a late-career Clemens are very, very slim. At best, methinks, he'll be pitching at 37 like Greg Maddux pitched at 37 - 16-11, 3.96 ERA. Good, but not $50 million-good. We shall see.

Last edited by Fonzie : 12-13-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:21 PM   #44
jbmagic
Pro Starter

doesnt Martinez hate Piazza..

i tought he talk trash about Piazza when he left the Dodgers
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:54 PM   #45
Suicane75
Coordinator

Heres the main problem I have with the Mets doing this, and it was the subject of a long segment of Mike And The Mad Dog last week when this thing first started to leak, the Mets are not built for Pedro, I know it sounds ridiculous becuase of course you want talent wherever you can get it, but Pedro at this point is a 6 inning pitcher, and the Mets have no bullpen at all. He's gonna go out there, give up 2 runs over 5 or 6 innings and then the bullpen is gonna have to hold things down over 2 or 3 innings until they can get to Looper, and that just isn't gonna happen unless they upgrade significantly in that area. This is a great move if they go out and signifigantly upgrage their bullpen, if they don't however than this is essentially wasted money.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:19 AM   #46
Bomber
High School Varsity

Uh oh. This isn't a done deal yet.

According to ESPN radio, Pedro Martinez's agent has told the Mets he doesn't want a shoulder MRI included in the right-hander's physical.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:39 AM   #47
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That's big. Rumors are strong around here (and they are just rumors) that Pedro has significant shoulder damage and is always just one pitch away from a torn labrum.

Lowe was offered arbitration. In this market, he may well get a nice offer. But there's always the chance he could accept arbitration the way Maddux did in his last year in Atlanta. Then use 2005 to make a case for the big contract.

I've always liked Lowe. I hope it works out that the Sox can keep him.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:40 AM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Uh oh. This isn't a done deal yet.

According to ESPN radio, Pedro Martinez's agent has told the Mets he doesn't want a shoulder MRI included in the right-hander's physical.

Sheesh, that's like telling a cop it's okay to search your car, but don't look in the trunk.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:03 AM   #49
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
I also wonder at this point if we take a shot at Derrick Lowe again.

If I understand the direction the Sox front office is going with how they select players, Derrick Lowe does not fit into the style of starting pitcher that they are looking for. Obviously if they get good deals or bargain contracts on players that are not their "type" then I think they would go for it. With the demand for pitching the way it is, and the prices being offered to pitchers, they will not get Lowe at a bargain price, thus I do not think they will be actively seeking him.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #50
Ramzavail
College Starter

If the Mets don't get a MRI from Pedro, they are stupid.

Case closed.

If you dont sign Vlad b/c of a bad back, why sign Pedro with a bad arm?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote