Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Wolfpack Pre-plays the Bowl Season (with a twist)

I have settled on a new dynasty that should hopefully get done by the end of next week as I will be in NC for Christmas for two weeks after that.

What I've decided to do is pre-play the college football bowl season, but with one very significant change. I will be incorporating an eight-team playoff into the mix. I wanted it to be a semi-plausible reality, so I opted against 16 teams because I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate such a field into the current calendar that didn't make things seem a bit silly.

As with other recent dynasties I've done, I'm doing this with my Quick Play Football utility. I have generally figured out how to rate new teams for the game, though it isn't exactly correct according to numbers the game's originator has come up with for teams already in the game. The differences are fractional in most cases, though.

The eight teams chosen for the playoffs are the four highest-rated conference champions in the BCS standings and the four highest-rated teams from the remainder in the BCS standings. As it turns out, this year, it is strictly the top eight in the BCS.

The top four conference champions are:
(1) USC (Pac-10)
(2) Oklahoma (Big XII)
(3) Auburn (SEC)
(6) Utah (Mountain West)

The four remaining highest-rated teams are:
(4) Texas (Big XII)
(5) California (Pac-10)
(7) Georgia (SEC)
(8) Virginia Tech (ACC)

The tournament will be played at the home field of the higher seed in the quarterfinals and semi-finals and at the Orange Bowl for the championship. Quarterfinal losers actually become eligible for regular bowl season games. Semifinal losers, however, do not. I figure they've played two games already, plus it would be difficult to have the bowl committees wait until mid-December to make their selections and get the tickets out. It would be tough to wait until Dec. 12, but it would be impossible on Dec. 19. Like I said, I'm aiming for something that could be done to show that it can be done.

Because there are still teams to be made available (first round losers) in this arrangement, it means that while some bowl games will be identical to real life, others may be completely different. One thing has to give: there's only 57 eligible teams for 56 slots in real life. Eliminating two teams because they lose in the semi-finals drops that number to 55. As a result, either a 6-6 team like Northwestern must "magically" make it, or a bowl will have to be foregone. After giving some thought, I'm going to be generous and add the 6-6 teams to the eligible pool.

As for the remaining BCS bowls, they get first dibs on the pool, starting with the Rose, which would take Michigan and would hope and pray that Cal or USC get bumped. The Fiesta (normally anchored by #2 Oklahoma of the Big XII) gets second pick, followed by the Sugar. Things will domino from there depending on who gets bumped out of the tournament. In most instances, conferences will either bump up or bump down to accomodate losers or fill spots. As much as I can, I will aim to retain matchups as they presently exist.

So, the first round of the tournament will kick off the postseason on December 11, 2004 with these pairings:
(8) Virginia Tech at (1) Southern Cal
(5) California at (4) Texas

(7) Georgia at (2) Oklahoma
(6) Utah at (3) Auburn

The semi-finals will be December 18. All bowl game dates remain unchanged.

It should be noted that I will be extremely busy over the next couple of days and so may not get to invest much time in this until next week. But, once it starts, it should snap to a finish as I can run the whole bowl season (once it's all determined) at once.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

very interesting.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I've finally gotten the chance to kick this project into gear. I had to spend a bit of time creating a college OT set of charts for the game (the original only has pro OT charts). At any rate, I'll start things off in the next post.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 11, 2004--Quarterfinals
The tournament starts with four big quarterfinal matchups, one (Utah-Auburn) featuring two unbeatens.

Code:
12/11/2004--Quarterfinals Virginia Tech(19/0/2/15/12/O/-10) at Southern California(24/-1/12/19/30/J/10) TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Virginia Tech 3 3 0 7 13 Southern California 10 7 17 0 34 ---------- Line: Southern California -18 (+ 3) Current Records: Virginia Tech: 10-3 Southern California: 13-0
*As expected, the Trojans march up and down the field at will against the Hokies. Virginia Tech's defense does all it can to keep the Southern Cal offense in check, but the offense is ineffective all afternoon, allowing the Trojans to methodically beat down the Hokies. Virginia Tech is out and is likely heading to the Sugar Bowl.

Code:
12/11/2004--Quarterfinals California(24/0/5/16/24/L/-1) at Texas(22/3/6/17/25/K/1) 4: Texas goes for two and fails. CG: Texas reaches midfield before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final California 3 14 7 7 0 31 Texas 3 10 7 6 0 26 ---------- Line: Texas -1 (-6) *UPSET* Current Records: California: 11-1 Texas: 10-2
*Ah, the beauty of the playoffs. The Bears came to Austin with a chip on the shoulder as the BCS had suddenly switched this game from a home date to a road one the last week of the regular season. But, the Longhorns aren't ones to be bullied easily. The two teams trade punches all afternoon. The Bears grab the lead in the second quarter with two big touchdowns, but the Longhorns stay right on their tail all the way through the third quarter. In the fourth, Texas gambles for two after a touchdown to cut the lead to three, but fails. They are never able to threaten after that and the Bears walk off the field with the big win and will meet Southern Cal in LA next week. Texas, meanwhile, is probably heading to either the Rose or Fiesta Bowl.

Code:
12/11/2004--Quarterfinals Georgia(15/3/7/14/10/P/-6) at Oklahoma(23/1/13/18/32/J/6) TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Georgia 0 0 7 0 7 Oklahoma 17 0 10 10 37 ---------- Line: Oklahoma -22 (+ 8) Current Records: Georgia: 9-3 Oklahoma: 13-0
*In a field full of great teams, the Bulldogs are regarded somewhat as the interloper, not having won their own division in the SEC, let alone the SEC championship. They go into Norman and get waxed by the Sooners with ease. Before the first quarter is over, the Sooners race out to a 17-0 lead and never look back, pouring it on in the second half to complete the rout. Georgia isn't looked favorably on by the Sugar Bowl committee who will probably take Tennessee unless Auburn loses to Utah, which means the Bulldogs are probably in the Cap One Bowl or Outback Bowl.

Code:
12/11/2004--Quarterfinals Utah(33/8/7/12/27/K/-1) at Auburn(20/-2/8/14/32/J/1) CG: Utah reaches the 29 yard line before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Utah 7 0 0 6 0 13 Auburn 7 7 0 3 0 17 ---------- Line: Auburn -5 (-1) Current Records: Utah: 11-1 Auburn: 13-0
*The Utes prove every bit that they are worthy to be in this field, but the Tiger defense does something most defenses have not been able to do, keep Utah's potent offense in check for the entire game. The teams trade touchdowns in the first, then the Tigers strike for a touchdown in the second to take the lead into halftime. Neither team is able to score in the third. In the fourth, the Utes are able to crack the Auburn defense enough to muster a pair of field goals, but the Tigers are able to recoup one of them with a field goal of their own. The Utes make one last push, but their unbeaten season comes crashing to a halt as the Tigers stop them at their own 29. Auburn runs out the clock and advances to the semifinals against Oklahoma in Norman next week. Utah, meanwhile, is a pretty good bet to head to Tempe and the Fiesta Bowl.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 12, 2004

All bowls aside from the Orange complete their bowl pairings. The BCS bowls, Rose, Fiesta, and Sugar take turns picking from their pool of available teams (consisting of the Top 12 in the standings, plus any BCS conference champs, in this case Michigan and Pittsburgh, outside the Top 12). With some of the teams unavailable due to being in the playoff, a couple of teams that wouldn't have made the BCS bowls otherwise do so, causing a chain reaction that resounds across the landscape.

Here is the 2004-05 bowl line-up:

December 14, 2004
Wyndham New Orleans Bowl (New Orleans, LA)
Southern Mississippi (6-5) vs. North Texas (7-4)

December 21, 2004
Champs Sports Bowl (Orlando, FL)
Georgia Tech (6-5) vs. Syracuse (6-5)

December 22, 2004
GMAC Bowl (Mobile, AL)
Memphis (8-3) vs. Bowling Green (8-3)

December 23, 2004
Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl (Las Vegas, NV)
Wyoming (6-5) vs. Akron (6-5)

PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl (Fort Worth, TX)
Cincinnati (6-5) vs. Marshall (6-5)

December 24, 2004
ConAgra Foods Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, HI)
Hawaii (7-5) vs. UAB (7-4)

December 27, 2004
MPC Computers Bowl (Boise, ID)
Fresno State (8-3) vs. Virginia (8-3)

Motor City Bowl (Detroit, MI)
Toledo (9-3) vs. Pittsburgh (8-3)

December 28, 2004
Insight Bowl (Phoenix, AZ)
Notre Dame (6-5) vs. UCLA (6-5)

Independence Bowl (Shreveport, LA)
Iowa State (6-5) vs. Miami (OH) (8-4)

December 29, 2004
MasterCard Alamo Bowl (San Antonio, TX)
Minnesota (6-5) vs. Oklahoma State (7-4)

EV1.net Houston Bowl (Houston, TX)
UTEP (8-3) vs. Colorado (7-5)

December 30, 2004
Silicon Valley Football Classic (San Jose, CA)
Troy (7-4) vs. Northern Illinois (8-3)

Pacific Life Holiday Bowl (San Diego, CA)
Arizona State (8-3) vs. Texas Tech (7-4)

Emerald Bowl (San Francisco, CA)
Navy (9-2) vs. New Mexico (7-4)

Continental Tire Bowl (Charlotte, NC)
Boston College (8-3) vs. North Carolina (7-4)

December 31, 2004
Vitalis Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX)
Ohio State (7-4) vs. Oregon State (6-5)

Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl (Atlanta, GA)
Miami (8-3) vs. Alabama (6-5)

Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl (Nashville, TN)
Northwestern (6-6) vs. Connecticut (7-4)

AutoZone Liberty Bowl (Memphis, TN)
Louisville (10-1) vs. Boise State (11-0)

January 1, 2005
Outback Bowl (Tampa, FL)
Purdue (7-4) vs. Florida (7-4)

Gator Bowl (Jacksonville, FL)
Florida State (8-3) vs. West Virginia (8-3)

Cotton Bowl (Dallas, TX)
Georgia (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (7-4)

Capital One Bowl (Orlando, FL)
Tennessee (9-3) vs. Wisconsin (9-2)

Rose Bowl presented by Citi
Michigan (9-2) vs. Utah (11-0)

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Texas (10-2) vs. Iowa (9-2)

January 2, 2005
Nokia Sugar Bowl
Virginia Tech (10-3) vs. LSU (9-2)

Some notes
*In filling the slots, I generally bumped teams up or down a place in the pecking order, though there were some shifts made and a few surprises as well. Generally, though, the lower bowls filled with teams from the non-BCS conferences remained roughly the same, while the higher bowls had a number of changes.

*I tried a way the BCS bowls might come up with teams, which was essentially a draft order based on who had priority (Rose, then Fiesta, then Sugar). I would figure the Rose would still want Michigan, so they were selected. The Fiesta has a Big 12 anchor, so I had them take Texas. Finally, the Sugar would want a big travelling fan base and Virginia Tech gives them that. On the second pass, I couldn't justify the Rose taking Arizona State at 8-3 when 11-1 Utah was still available (and fresh off proving themselves in a close loss at Auburn). Then again, the Rose is so hidebound to its traditions that Arizona State could be taken in this arrangement, records be damned. Fiesta's second pick went to Iowa on the basis of good travelling fan base, then the Sugar opted to invite the home-state Tigers back to guarantee a full house.

*Northwestern gets in at 6-6 because I'm one team short otherwise. The Music City Bowl spot was for a Big 10 team, so I held that open until I determined other spots. Once Akron went to Las Vegas, it left Northwestern and Louisiana Tech to choose from and because of that Big 10 tie-in, Northwestern gets the slot.

*The one I agonized over was how to work the Cotton Bowl. With LSU moving up the chain to the Sugar Bowl, Tennessee became the natural choice to move over to the Cap One Bowl. I had considered a creative choice of putting West Virginia in the Cotton Bowl since the Big East does have a tie-in if the Cotton elects to skip the SEC, but I couldn't work it because I reasoned the Gator would want West Virginia and the match up with FSU and Bobby Bowden and they had essentially first dibs on the Big East with Pittsburgh falling out of the BCS. They'd want the WV fans. The Cotton's Big East choice is down the list. As a result, I had them take Georgia, reasoning the Cotton has stature and tradition and Georgia would find that acceptable. This meant Florida got booted into the Outback (again) while Alabama went to the Peach Bowl. This left open a spot at the Music City. With Pittsburgh out of the BCS, I reasoned they, not Connecticut, would go to the Motor City Bowl (closer, better opponent) and that UConn would fall to the Music City.

At any rate, I've gotta get cracking if I want to finish this. I wanted to get it done before I left for Christmas.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 14, 2004
Code:
12/14/2004--Wyndham New Orleans Bowl North Texas(14/17/13/11/23/L/2) vs. Southern Mississippi(12/13/11/13/33/J/-2) at New Orleans LA 1: Southern Mississippi attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and failed. 2: Southern Mississippi attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and succeeded! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final North Texas 3 6 0 7 16 Southern Mississippi 0 14 14 0 28 ---------- Line: Southern Mississippi -10 (+ 2) Current Records: North Texas: 7-5 Southern Mississippi: 7-5
*The game starts slowly, but the Eagles get it going in the second quarter and then blow it open in the third. North Texas tries to get back in it in the fourth, but the deficit is too much and the Eagles win the New Orleans Bowl

Last edited by Wolfpack : 12-17-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 18, 2004--Semifinals

Code:
12/18/2004--Semifinals California(24/0/5/16/18/N/-6) at Southern California(24/-1/11/19/29/J/6) TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final California 0 0 0 10 10 Southern California 10 17 13 10 50 ---------- Line: Southern California -11 (+ 29) Current Records: California: 11-2 Southern California: 14-0
*Wow. California picks the worst day to have a bad game as the Trojans seem to pick the same day to have their best game. The Trojans come out and just rock the Bears. Leinart's on fire. Bush's on fire. Hell, anyone wearing a Trojan uniform is on fire. The potent Bear offense is completely held in check and dominated, the Trojans only giving up meaningless points in the fourth quarter. Southern California moves on to the Orange Bowl championship, while the Bears are sent home, a complete embarrassment that tarnishes a great season.

Code:
12/18/2004--Semifinals Auburn(20/-2/7/14/15/O/-4) at Oklahoma(23/1/11/18/27/K/4) CG: Oklahoma reaches the 41 yard line before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Auburn 0 7 0 7 0 14 Oklahoma 0 0 0 6 0 6 ---------- Line: Oklahoma -12 (-20) *UPSET* Current Records: Auburn: 14-0 Oklahoma: 13-1
*A brutal contest in Norman as the Tigers and Sooners go at it heavy and hard all day long. Both defenses are brilliant as both offenses seem incapable of generating much scoring. The Tigers finally strike first with a touchdown in the second to lead 7-0 at halftime. Neither team is able to scratch in the third. Finally, in the fourth quarter, the Sooners get on the board with a field goal, but then the Tigers hit for a touchdown that all but puts the game away. The Sooners do boot another field goal, but their last chance dies out just into Auburn territory. Auburn wins and advances to the Orange Bowl against Southern California. Oklahoma, for the first time in a few years, finds itself at home for the holidays.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 21, 2004
Code:
12/21/2004--Champs Sports Bowl Syracuse(12/14/10/14/17/N/1) vs. Georgia Tech(6/6/9/15/21/M/-1) at Orlando FL TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Syracuse 0 6 0 10 16 Georgia Tech 3 10 6 10 29 ---------- Line: Georgia Tech -4 (+ 9) Current Records: Syracuse: 6-6 Georgia Tech: 7-5
*Georgia Tech gets the early lead and expands on it throughout the contest, never really letting the Orange get into it. Syracuse shows some signs of life in the fourth, but the defense can't stop the Jackets and Georgia Tech wins the Champs Sports Bowl.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #9
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 22, 2004
Code:
12/22/2004--GMAC Bowl Bowling Green(31/9/2/8/45/F/-7) vs. Memphis(23/16/9/10/34/I/7) at Mobile AL 4: Bowling Green goes for two and fails. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Bowling Green 7 14 13 6 40 Memphis 17 21 7 10 55 ---------- Line: Bowling Green -11 (-26) *UPSET* Current Records: Bowling Green: 8-4 Memphis: 9-3
*Little to no defense in this shootout. The Tigers lay an absolute hurt on the Falcons in the early going, ringing up 38 points in the first half, while Bowling Green tries to hang on and trails 38-21 at halftime. The Falcons whittle into the lead a little in the third, but the Tigers push it back open again in the fourth and roll to the GMAC Bowl win.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #10
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 23, 2004
Code:
12/23/2004--Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl Akron(12/18/13/7/18/N/1) vs. Wyoming(14/12/12/13/38/I/-1) at Las Vegas NV 3: Akron attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and succeeded! 4: Wyoming goes for two and converts it! CG: Akron attempts a 51-yard field goal, but misses! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Akron 7 0 14 0 0 21 Wyoming 6 3 7 8 0 24 ---------- Line: Wyoming -20 (-17) Current Records: Akron: 6-6 Wyoming: 7-5
*A pretty entertaining contest between very average 6-5 teams. Wyoming was supposed to easily dominate the affair, but the Zips came out and punched them in the mouth in the first and never really let the Cowboys get on a roll. Wyoming managed a second quarter field goal to lead at the half. Akron then cracked the Cowboys defense for two scores in the third and had a surprise 21-16 lead heading to the fourth quarter. The Cowboys jumped into the lead in the final stanza and converted the crucial two-point play to make the lead 24-21. The Zips were game for one last try, but a 51-yard attempt late fell short and the Cowboys escape with the win in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Code:
12/23/2004--PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl Marshall(12/8/6/10/25/K/-2) vs. Cincinnati(15/15/8/12/25/K/2) at Fort Worth TX TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Marshall 7 7 0 10 24 Cincinnati 7 14 3 13 37 ---------- Line: Pick 'em Current Records: Marshall: 6-6 Cincinnati: 7-5
*The Herd and Bearcats battled evenly through the first quarter before Cincinnati opened a lead with two scores in the second quarter. They expanded the lead to 10 with a third quarter field goal and then countered every charge by the Herd in the fourth to claim the Fort Worth Bowl.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 24, 2004
Code:
12/24/2004--ConAgra Foods Hawaii Bowl Alabama-Birmingham(17/13/9/10/39/H/-4) vs. Hawaii(21/25/13/11/37/I/4) at Honolulu HI 3: Hawaii attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and succeeded! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Alabama-Birmingham 13 17 7 10 47 Hawaii 7 17 7 6 37 ---------- Line: Alabama-Birmingham -2 (+ 8) Current Records: Alabama-Birmingham: 8-4 Hawaii: 7-6
*The Blazers come into a hostile environment and do well in the first, jumping out to a 13-7 lead. Offenses dominate the second as the two teams march up and down the field at will, leaving the Blazers ahead 30-24 at the break. Things settle down a bit in the third as the teams can "only" manage a touchdown each. In the fourth, the Warriors can't break the UAB defense to get into the end zone, settling for field goals. UAB, meanwhile, gets a huge touchdown that effectively seals the Hawaii Bowl win for them.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 27, 2004
Code:
12/27/2004--MPC Computers Bowl Virginia(17/3/4/15/28/K/5) vs. Fresno State(27/6/-1/10/25/K/-5) at Boise ID CG: Virginia scores on a 23-yard touchdown pass! Virginia converts the PAT. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Virginia 13 7 17 14 7 58 Fresno State 7 17 17 10 0 51 ---------- Line: Virginia -3 (+ 4) Current Records: Virginia: 9-3 Fresno State: 8-4
*Boise State may not be playing on the Blue Turf, but the teams that are here played like them. Defense was totally non-existent as the offenses scored at will from everywhere. Virginia took the early lead, only to watch Fresno race past them in the second to take a 24-20 lead at the half. The second half was a total scorefest as the teams combined for 65 points, leaving the small crowd in attendance gasping for air by the end of it. In the end, the Cavaliers got the last score with a 23-yard TD pass to jump ahead and win a wild MPC Bowl 58-51.

Code:
12/27/2004--Motor City Bowl Pittsburgh(16/10/9/11/33/J/-2) vs. Toledo(22/17/11/9/32/J/2) at Detroit MI 4: Toledo attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and failed. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Pittsburgh 17 10 14 10 51 Toledo 7 6 17 7 37 ---------- Line: Pittsburgh -1 (+ 13) Current Records: Pittsburgh: 9-3 Toledo: 9-4
*The Big East co-champs lay the wood to the Rockets from the get-go, blasting them for 17 in the first and 10 more in the second to lead 27-13 at half. The Rockets play better in the second half, but for every Toledo score, the Panthers have an answer and then some. Pittsburgh takes the Motor City Bowl, 51-37.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #13
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 28, 2004
Code:
12/28/2004--Insight Bowl Notre Dame(11/10/7/17/26/K/2) vs. UCLA(18/13/5/15/26/K/-2) at Phoenix AZ 4: UCLA goes for two on first TD and converts it! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Notre Dame 0 0 7 17 24 UCLA 17 3 3 15 38 ---------- Line: Pick 'em Current Records: Notre Dame: 6-6 UCLA: 7-5
*The mess left behind by the Tyrone Willingham firing seems to affect the Irish a great deal as the Bruins come out and blast them off the field in the opening quarter. Before people are comfortably settled, UCLA is up 17-0. A field goal extends it to 20-0 by halftime. The Irish do get on the board in the third quarter and cut the lead to 23-7, but it seems to be a bit late. The Irish make a furious rally in the fourth as Bruin mistakes translate to quick Irish points. Stunningly, Notre Dame takes the lead on a field goal, capping 17 straight points by the Irish. But, the Bruins regain their footing in the nick of time, busting into the end zone and then converting a two-pointer to retake the lead at 31-24. On the ensuing Irish possession, Irish QB Brady Quinn gets an out route picked off and it's returned for a touchdown to complete the scoring and doom the Irish. UCLA wins the Insight Bowl after nearly giving it away in the fourth quarter.

Code:
12/28/2004--Independence Bowl Miami (Ohio)(20/10/5/8/23/L/-4) vs. Iowa State(8/9/9/14/24/L/4) at Shreveport LA CG: Iowa State scores on a 24-yard touchdown pass! Iowa State converts the PAT. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Miami (Ohio) 14 7 3 3 0 27 Iowa State 0 10 0 14 7 31 ---------- Line: Iowa State -1 (+ 3) Current Records: Miami (Ohio): 8-5 Iowa State: 7-5
*The RedHawks get the early jump on the Cyclones, bolting to a 14-0 lead. The Cyclones finally get cracking on offense in the second, but only make slight headway and trail 21-10 at the half. Miami converts a field goal in the third to restore a two-touchdown lead, but it all comes apart for them in the fourth. The Cyclones play with desperation and make a charge. They hit for a touchdown, Miami gets a field goal, they strike for another touchdown, and now it's 27-24 with time running down. The Cyclones move into Miami territory and then strike on a 24-yard touchdown pass with under a minute left to take the lead. Miami is unable to respond and the Cyclones stun the RedHawks and win the Independence Bowl.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 29, 2004
Code:
12/29/2004--MasterCard Alamo Bowl Minnesota(18/10/3/13/25/K/-3) vs. Oklahoma State(21/11/6/17/35/I/3) at San Antonio TX CG: Minnesota turns the ball over on downs in their own end of the field. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Minnesota 7 3 17 6 0 33 Oklahoma State 7 3 10 21 0 41 ---------- Line: Oklahoma State -10 (-2) Current Records: Minnesota: 6-6 Oklahoma State: 8-4
*The Gophers and Cowboys battle to a standstill through the first 30 minutes, with the teams tied 10-10 at the break. In the third quarter, the Gophers move into the lead as the defenses go on hiatus. Okie State's defense returns for the fourth, holding the Gophers to a pair of field goals, but the Gopher defense is still out to lunch as the Cowboys shred Minnesota at will and rack up three touchdowns to surge past Minnesota. The Gophers never threaten to score and Oklahoma State walks off winners of the Alamo Bowl.

Code:
12/29/2004--EV1.net Houston Bowl Colorado(10/12/12/18/28/K/7) vs. Texas-El Paso(23/11/5/11/28/K/-7) at Houston TX TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Colorado 6 14 3 10 33 Texas-El Paso 0 7 0 7 14 ---------- Line: Pick 'em Current Records: Colorado: 8-5 Texas-El Paso: 8-4
*What was expected to be a tight contest turned into a romp for Gary Barnett's Buffaloes. The Miners could never get untracked as the Buffs built a 20-7 halftime lead and never really let UTEP get close after that. Mike Price's first season in El Paso comes to a disappointing end as Colorado wins the Houston Bowl.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Colorado 33, UTEP 14.

That's right, Jeeber.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #16
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Just wanted to let everyone know that I do have access here at my parents' house in NC. I do have the results with me, but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to post them. Maybe later today. (I'll be visiting wife's family next couple of days, though.)
Old 12-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #17
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Bizarre...in my game Colorado scored 6 in the first, 14 in the second, 3 in the third and 10 in the fourth. In real life, they scored 3 in the first, 10 in the second, 6 in the third, and 14 in the fourth. The game essentially matched every quarter score for Colorado, just in a different order. Similarly, other than UTEP's 14-point outburst in the opening quarter, the other three quarter scores from the preplay match up (7, 0, 7) though again in the wrong order.

(Yes, I've finally gotten back online, but only briefly. I hope to get to post the rest of this before too long, but it won't be tonight.)
Old 01-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Apologies for dragging this thing out. I got a nasty bug of some kind that I'm still battling (though gradually getting better) that has pretty much kept me off the computer over the past week (that and traveling and the wife and so forth). But, finally, I have computer time for a short while so I'll try to wrap this whole thing up.

So, without further ado....
Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #19
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 30, 2004
Code:
12/30/2004--Silicon Valley Football Classic Troy State(11/2/8/11/29/J/1) vs. Northern Illinois(22/13/7/6/19/M/-1) at San Jose CA 2: Northern Illinois attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and succeeded! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Troy State 17 7 7 7 38 Northern Illinois 0 7 10 7 24 ---------- Line: Troy State -10 (+ 4) Current Records: Troy State: 8-4 Northern Illinois: 8-4
*A struggling bowl game doesn't need this sort of matchup, but it gets it when there's nothing else left. At any rate, the Trojans come out hot and blow the Huskies off the ball early and often en route to a 24-7 halftime lead. The Huskies stay with the Trojans in the second half, but the hole dug in the first quarter is far too much to overcome and Troy wins the Silicon Valley Classic in convincing fashion.

Code:
12/30/2004--Pacific Life Holiday Bowl Texas Tech(22/13/4/18/32/J/-6) vs. Arizona State(17/12/10/19/32/J/6) at San Diego CA TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Texas Tech 3 7 3 7 20 Arizona State 14 6 10 0 30 ---------- Line: Pick 'em Current Records: Texas Tech: 7-5 Arizona State: 9-3
*After being passed over by the Rose Bowl, the Sun Devils drop to San Diego and a matchup with high-powered Texas Tech. The Sun Devils bring their 'A' game on defense as the Red Raiders are never able to get their offense untracked the whole game. ASU jumps out to a strong early lead and never lets up, keeping Texas Tech bottled up while adding to the early lead. Only a late meaningless touchdown improves the scoreboard a bit for the Red Raiders, but ASU dominates this year's Holiday Bowl.

Code:
12/30/2004--Emerald Bowl Navy(14/7/11/5/8/P/-2) vs. New Mexico(7/4/13/15/24/L/2) at San Francisco CA TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Navy 0 7 0 3 10 New Mexico 10 7 20 0 37 ---------- Line: New Mexico -16 (+ 11) Current Records: Navy: 9-3 New Mexico: 8-4
*The Lobos put the clamps to the Navy rushing attack, shutting out the Middies to take a 10-0 first quarter lead and keep that edge until halftime, ahead 17-7. New Mexico then blows it open with 20 straight points in the third quarter and the rout is on. Navy never really threatens in the second half and New Mexico ends their season in resounding fashion with a clubbing of Navy in the Emerald Bowl.

Code:
12/30/2004--Continental Tire Bowl Boston College(10/3/8/10/18/N/-6) vs. North Carolina(14/18/14/18/27/K/6) at Charlotte NC 2: North Carolina attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and succeeded! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Boston College 0 0 0 0 0 North Carolina 3 7 0 0 10 ---------- Line: North Carolina -9 (+ 1) Current Records: Boston College: 8-4 North Carolina: 7-5
*60,000+ UNC fans descend on Bank of America Stadium for a virtual home game in Charlotte. They come away somewhat bored, but not disappointed as the Tar Heels produce a shutout of the Big East co-champs. The only points scored were a field goal and touchdown in the first half by UNC, but it was more than enough as BC never appeared to be in this one at all. Sets up a revenge storyline as BC travels to UNC in an ACC game next year, but for now, the Tar Heels have bragging rights by winning the Tire Bowl.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-06-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #20
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

December 31, 2004
Code:
12/31/2004--Vitalis Sun Bowl Ohio State(10/6/8/16/18/N/-2) vs. Oregon State(13/12/10/20/23/L/2) at El Paso TX CG: Oregon State reaches the 27 yard line before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Ohio State 7 0 0 7 0 14 Oregon State 0 0 7 3 0 10 ---------- Line: Oregon State -5 (-9) *UPSET* Current Records: Ohio State: 8-4 Oregon State: 6-6
*The Buckeyes take the early lead and carry it into halftime. Oregon State strikes for a TD in the third to tie things up, but Ohio State retakes the lead in the fourth with a second touchdown. The Beavers respond with a field goal to cut it to 14-10, but can't come up with a score to take the lead, their last chance dying at the Ohio State 27. Ohio State puts a happy ending to a troubled season with a win in the Sun Bowl.

Code:
12/31/2004--Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl Miami (Florida)(19/5/7/17/25/K/6) vs. Alabama(12/2/1/12/13/O/-6) at Atlanta GA 4: Alabama goes for two and converts it! CG: Miami (Florida) reaches the 27 yard line before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Miami (Florida) 3 7 0 0 0 10 Alabama 3 6 0 8 0 17 ---------- Line: Miami (Florida) -12 (-19) *UPSET* Current Records: Miami (Florida): 8-4 Alabama: 6-6
*The Hurricanes seemed uninterested in being here after their season came to a crashing end at home against the Hokies. The Tide played inspired ball, having been elevated to the Peach (some would say undeservingly) by LSU's acceptance of a Sugar Bowl bid. Still, the Hurricanes played strong defense throughout and held a 10-9 lead after three quarters. However, Alabama found the holes in the fourth quarter and broke through for a touchdown. They went for two and converted to give them a touchdown lead. Miami tried to rally, but they could only reach the Tide 27 before turning it over. Alabama runs out the clock and pulls a stunning upset in the Peach Bowl.

Code:
12/31/2004--Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl Connecticut(16/10/6/8/24/L/-6) vs. Northwestern(12/15/12/15/29/J/6) at Nashville TN TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Connecticut 7 14 0 0 21 Northwestern 3 17 10 0 30 ---------- Line: Northwestern -5 (+ 4) Current Records: Connecticut: 7-5 Northwestern: 7-6
*At 6-6, the Wildcats were total interlopers, the biggest beneficiaries of the Clemson/South Carolina brawl in the nation. They wouldn't be here otherwise. UConn, for the record was attending the first bowl game in school history after moving up to I-A football just a few years ago. The first half was an entertaining battle as both teams moved up and down the field and scored constantly, leaving the game 21-20, UConn at the half. Northwestern raced ahead with ten straight points in the third quarter, while the Huskies went AWOL on offense. The UConn defense was able to staunch the bleeding after that, but the offense never did emerge from its slumber and the Wildcats walked off the field winners of the Music City Bowl.

Code:
12/31/2004--AutoZone Liberty Bowl Boise State(37/11/7/11/42/G/1) vs. Louisville(37/5/6/11/48/F/-1) at Memphis TN CG: Louisville reaches the 23 yard line before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Boise State 7 21 13 14 0 55 Louisville 21 13 7 7 0 48 ---------- Line: Louisville -6 (-13) *UPSET* Current Records: Boise State: 12-0 Louisville: 10-2
*All the hype about this game was about the scoring machines on offense for both teams. This game, surprisingly enough, met the hype and then some as the scoreboard started to short out by the end of the fourth quarter. The Cardinals dealt the damage early, bolting to a 21-7 lead, but the Broncos battled back in the second to cut the lead to 34-28 at the half (!). There's still thirty minutes of football left and it's already 34-28. The Broncos continued their hot offensive play, finally catching up and tying the Cardinals at 41-41 late in the third and then surged ahead in the fourth quarter, the Cardinals trying hard to keep up. With the Broncos up 55-48 and time running out, Louisville made one last push to force OT, but they couldn't do it, turning it over on downs at the 23. The Broncos win the Liberty Bowl and complete a remarkable 12-0 season.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-06-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #21
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

January 1, 2005
Code:
1/1/2005--Outback Bowl Purdue(19/3/0/14/25/K/-2) vs. Florida(21/7/2/13/25/K/2) at Tampa FL TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Purdue 3 0 14 0 17 Florida 7 7 7 7 28 ---------- Line: Pick 'em Current Records: Purdue: 7-5 Florida: 8-4
*A Florida team lead by interims plays in yet another edition of the Outback Bowl, this time taking on Purdue, trying to put a positive end to a disappointing stretch run. Early on, the Gators whip the Boilermakers on both sides of the ball, striking for two touchdowns while containing the potent Purdue offense to just a field goal to take a 14-3 halftime lead. Purdue finally gets things switched on in the third, trading a Florida TD for two in return and now trail 21-17 going to the fourth. The offense sputters out again on Joe Tiller and the Gators put the nail in the coffin with a touchdown late in the fourth that seals the deal. Florida wins the Outback Bowl with a staff that will no longer be there.

Code:
1/1/2005--Toyota Gator Bowl West Virginia(18/7/5/9/12/O/-5) vs. Florida State(12/1/10/15/26/K/5) at Jacksonville FL CG: West Virginia reaches the 36 yard line before turning the ball over on downs. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final West Virginia 3 10 0 3 0 16 Florida State 10 0 10 0 0 20 ---------- Line: Florida State -14 (-10) Current Records: West Virginia: 8-4 Florida State: 9-3
*Ah, yes, an unexploited Bobby Bowden plot-line. This one involves taking on his old program, West Virginia, in the Gator Bowl. The Seminoles get the early jump, going up 10-3 after the first, but the Mountaineers battle back and take the lead just before the half on a field goal. FSU retakes control in the third and take a touchdown lead at 20-13 going to the fourth quarter. WVU cuts into the lead with a field goal, but can't seem to solve the Seminole defense otherwise. Their last chance drive to win the game stalls out at the FSU 36. FSU runs out the clock, wins the Gator Bowl and Bobby Bowden adds to his record-setting win total.

Code:
1/1/2005--SBC Cotton Bowl Georgia(15/3/7/14/18/N/-2) vs. Texas A&M(17/10/9/20/27/K/2) at Dallas TX CG: Georgia turns the ball over on downs in their own end of the field. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Georgia 0 0 0 0 0 0 Texas A&M 7 0 0 0 0 7 ---------- Line: Texas A&M -9 (-2) Current Records: Georgia: 9-3 Texas A&M: 8-4
*If you love defense, Dallas was the place to be on New Year's Day. Both teams brought the wood. It didn't make for great theater like the Liberty Bowl, but it was a fierce contest nonetheless. A&M struck for the game's only points with a touchdown in the first quarter. From then on, the door was barred and nobody was getting points up. Both kickers struggled. Both offenses struggled. Both defenses had a fun time. Fittingly, the Bulldogs ended up turning the ball in their own end of the field with their last chance. The Aggies ride the D to a Cotton Bowl win.

Code:
1/1/2005--Capital One Bowl Wisconsin(8/2/12/12/15/O/-1) vs. Tennessee(15/11/13/16/21/M/1) at Orlando FL CG: Wisconsin turns the ball over on downs in their own end of the field. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Wisconsin 0 7 3 6 0 16 Tennessee 6 0 7 10 0 23 ---------- Line: Tennessee -6 (+ 1) Current Records: Wisconsin: 9-3 Tennessee: 10-3
*The Badgers looked to snap out of a skid that had cost them the Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl berth, if not a spot in the tournament field. The Vols had given the Auburn Tigers, now in the Orange Bowl championship game, all they wanted in Atlanta in the SEC title game. Early on, the Vols put up a pair of field goals, but Wisconsin hit for a touchdown in the second quarter to take a 7-6 lead at halftime. In the third, Tennessee regained the lead with a touchdown, while Wisconsin trimmed it with a field goal. The teams traded field goals in the fourth, with Wisconsin finally tying it at 16 with their second one. The Vols immediately answered with a sterling touchdown drive to put them back in front. The Badgers were never able to threaten after than and Tennnesee claims the Capital One Bowl, 23-16.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #22
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

January 1, 2005--The Rose Bowl presented by Citi
Code:
Michigan(17/9/10/15/28/K/0) vs. Utah(33/8/10/12/39/H/0) at Pasadena CA 4: Michigan attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and succeeded! TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Michigan 7 7 14 7 35 Utah 13 21 7 14 55 ---------- Line: Utah -11 (+ 9) Current Records: Michigan: 9-3 Utah: 12-1
*The Wolverines got beat by Ohio State, but backed into the Rose Bowl courtesy of a Wisconsin loss at the end of the regular season and the Rose Bowl committee's desire to have at least a Big Ten team on the field. Utah becomes the first non-BCS team to gate-crash the party, though they were beaten by Auburn in the quarterfinals. Their impressive showing on national TV in that loss, though, was enough to push the Rose Bowl committee to pass on Arizona State and take them instead.

From the opening gun, it was clear Utah was the better team. The Utes jumped on Michigan early, and though Michigan got on the board with a touchdown, the Utes seemed to be playing with a vengeance. The dam finally broke as Utah racked up three touchdowns in the second quarter to turn a 13-7 lead into a 41-14 rout by halftime. Embarrassed, the Wolverines gamely fought back in the third to cut it to 41-28, but a big Utah touchdown drive took the wind out of Michigan's sails. In the fourth, the Utes had answers for every Michigan challenge and then some, expanding their lead to 55-35 by game's end. Urban Myer goes out on top and Utah fans are left to wonder what might have been had he stayed. As it is, the Cinderella team of 2004 walks away with one of the biggest prizes of the entire ball, a Rose Bowl trophy.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-06-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #23
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

January 1, 2005--Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Code:
Iowa(11/4/11/16/13/O/2) vs. Texas(22/3/9/17/27/K/-2) at Phoenix AZ TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Iowa 0 0 7 0 7 Texas 14 3 0 0 17 ---------- Line: Texas -14 (-4) Current Records: Iowa: 9-3 Texas: 11-2
*The Hawkeyes had recovered from a tough start to the season and had marched through the Big Ten season to end up sharing the title with Michigan at the end when they beat Wisconsin, their only conference loss to the same Wolverines. The Longhorns do what they've done for a while now, beat everybody but Oklahoma. Still, their 10-1 mark was enough to get them into the playoffs, but they lost at home to Cal in the quarterfinals. Needing a Big 12 anchor, the Fiesta Bowl selected the Longhorns to come to Tempe.

The game was pretty much all Texas from the start. The Longhorns cut up the Iowa defense for two surprisingly easy touchdown drives in the first quarter that seemed to take a lot of fight out of Iowa. They then added a field goal right before the half to take a commanding 17-0 lead at the break. In the third, Iowa gave their large fanbase that came with them something to cheer about as they struck for a touchdown to cut it to 17-7. Unfortunately, that was the only life shown by the Iowa offense all day as the Longhorns ruthlessly snuffed out all other chances the rest of the way. The Texas offense, while unable to produce points, did something far more important, guzzle clock. The Longhorns effectively strangled the Hawkeyes over the remaining time and claimed the Fiesta Bowl, 17-7.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #24
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

January 3, 2005--Nokia Sugar Bowl
Code:
Virginia Tech(19/0/3/15/21/M/-4) vs. Louisiana State(16/3/7/14/17/N/4) at New Orleans LA 1: Virginia Tech attempted to convert a field goal into a touchdown and failed. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q Final Virginia Tech 7 7 0 6 20 Louisiana State 3 0 0 0 3 ---------- Line: Virginia Tech -4 (+ 13) Current Records: Virginia Tech: 11-3 Louisiana State: 9-3
*The Hokies were the surprise team of the year among BCS teams. Picked to finish as low as 7th in the new ACC, the Hokies suffered just one conference loss on a missed field goal at home to NC State. Otherwise, the Hokies answered every challenge and won in impressive fashion in Miami in the final game of the season. They made it into the playoffs as the 8 seed and were rewarded with a rematch with USC, who they lost to in the season opener in August. The rematch produced the same result as USC dispatched the Hokies to advance. Virginia Tech was then chosen by the Sugar Bowl committee to come face LSU. The Tigers were defending national co-champions, but had struggled early before getting it together and finishing strong. Problem was they were in the same division with Auburn and never got a chance to compete for the SEC title as a result. The Sugar Bowl wanted to guarantee a sell-out. What better way than to invite the home state team as the SEC anchor?

Unfortunately for those home state fans, the home state team apparently stayed back in Baton Rouge. Perhaps distracted by all the hubbub that came from the surprise hiring of head coach Nick Saban by the Miami Dolphins, the Tigers looked completely flat throughout. The Hokies, while not spectacular on offense, put up a workmanlike effort that netted them touchdowns in each of the first two quarters (though they gambled away a sure field goal and lost on one occassion) while the stout Hokie defense completely shut down the Tigers after they netted a field goal on the opening drive. The Tiger defense finally bore down in the third quarter, but all that resulted was a lot of punts as the Hokies still wouldn't allow the Tigers any quarter on offense. Virginia Tech completed the scoring with a pair of time-consuming drives that resulted in field goals, the second one of which effectively sealed the game with a 17-point lead. The Hokies complete a spectacular 2004 season with a great win in the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 01-06-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #25
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

January 4, 2005--FedEx Orange Bowl
It is the game just about everyone was hoping to get. 14-0 Southern California, fresh off a complete demolition of Pac-10 rival Cal in the semi-finals, meets the 14-0 Auburn Tigers, who dispatched the second-seeded Oklahoma Sooners on the road in Norman in their semi-final pairing. It's been two-and-a-half weeks since each team took the field, just long enough to heal up some bumps and bruises, and just short enough to keep the teams from losing their edge. Pro Player Stadium is packed to the gills with Tiger and Trojan fans, though the majority of the support seems to be with the Tigers with their fans making the trek down from Alabama.

1st Quarter
USC won the toss and deferred. The Tigers received the kickoff and asserted themselves right off the bat, with a strong drive utilizing the run. The drive was capped by a Cadillac Williams plow-in from the two with 9:06 left in the quarter and Auburn took the lead. John Vaughn converted the PAT to make it 7-0.

The Trojans were quick in response, though not as strongly as they hoped. Reggie Bush gathered in the ensuing kickoff and nearly broke it all the way. Only a diving stab by Vaughn at the Auburn 40 saved the score. Taking over with great field position, Leinart immediately hooked up with Dwayne Jarrett, who converted a short out into a big gain that pushed the ball well into Auburn territory. But, the Tigers stiffened up on defense and did not allow the Trojans any further advance. Ryan Killeen thus had to come in on fourth down and attempt a 37-yard field goal, which he converted, leaving Auburn ahead 7-3 with the quarter half-gone.

Auburn gets the ball and tries to put together another hammering drive, but it stalls out near midfield and they punt away, the clock winding down to 4 minutes left in the opening quarter.

The Trojans start out fairly deep in their own end, but it doesn't last long as Leinart carves up the Auburn defense and moves the Trojans past midfield and into Auburn territory. Once again, however, the Tigers rise up and make a big third down stand. On comes Killeen for his second field goal, this one from 46 yards. This attempt is no good and the Tigers are able to keep the Trojans off the board with time running under a minute in the opening quarter.

As the quarter ends, the Tigers are driving back to midfield.

End of 1st quarter, Auburn leads 7-3

2nd Quarter
The second quarter starts and the Tigers resume hammering the Trojans, beating them back into their own territory until they reach the USC 25. Campbell hands off to Williams, who explodes through the line and the Trojan defenders are unable to bring him down or catch him. He races into the end zone and the Auburn faithful at Pro Player Stadium erupts. John Vaughn adds the PAT and suddenly, the defending champs are on the ropes, down 14-3 with 12:15 left in the half.

The Trojans prove their mettle, though, as they come back with a great drive that sees them advance deep into Auburn territory. But then, disaster hits as Leinart is drilled attempting to pass and coughs up the football. A pile-up ensues. The refs pull the bodies off and up comes Auburn with the football! The Tigers have a great chance to deliver a knock-out punch early!

Alas, they don't take advantage. They do push the ball back to midfield, but once again, the Trojans are able to make a stand and force Auburn to punt. Reggie Bush waves for the fair catch and USC has it at its own 17 with 3:43 left.

Leinart shakes off the last possesion's costly error and goes back to work, delivering precise passes that drive the Trojans deep into Auburn territory until they are standing at the Auburn 7 with :15 left in the half, time enough for USC to have one, maybe two cracks at a touchdown before having to bring on the kicker. Leinart drops back, looks, looks, fires! Caught! Touchdown! Caught by Dwayne Jarrett in the back of the end zone! Nine seconds left in the half and we have a new ballgame as Killeen boots the PAT to make it 14-10. Auburn, as expected, kills off the little clock left in the half after their return failed to secure any field position or score.

End of the 2nd quarter, Auburn leads 14-10

3rd Quarter
The Trojans receive the opening kick of the third quarter and put together another strong drive that pushes them into Auburn territory, when the Tiger defense makes a huge play. On second down and 5 at the Auburn 43, Leinart drops back and fires a pass to the sideline, intended for Bush. The problem is that safety Junior Rosegreen read the play perfectly and steps in front of the pass to make the interception. 50! 45! 40! 35! 30! 20! 10! 5! Touchdown! Touchdown, Auburn Tigers! A 60-yard interception return for touchdown by Junior Rosegreen and now it's 21-10 with 12:34 left in the third. Again, the champs are on the ropes. Can they bounce back? There's still a lot of time left.

The answer is very quick in coming and it is very emphatic. After the ensuing kickoff, the Trojans march downfield a little bit and then...it happens. At the Trojan 39, Leinart drops back and fires a bullet to Reggie Bush in the slot. Bush then does what Bush does best. He makes a couple of cuts, a narrow escape, and then is off to the races. When he's gone, he's gone. 61 yards later, he's in the end zone and the Trojans deliver the answer they needed in the form of a spectacular touchdown by Bush. In a curious decision, Pete Carroll elects to go for two to cut the lead to 21-18. "I felt it was worth the risk," said Carroll. "It would have gotten us to three points down, but if we missed, there was still plenty of time to repair the damage. I had to count on my defense to keep us in it, though." As it was, the Trojans went for two, but the pass was batted down in the end zone, leaving USC trailing 21-16 and the crowd gasping a little for air with 9:29 left in the third quarter.

The Tigers got the ball back and worked downfield and into USC territory when they finally made their first mistake. A bad exchange on a handoff between Campbell and Williams had the ball skipping on the turf and into the arms of a Trojan, snuffing out a potential point-producing drive.

USC, however, could not take advantage, and before long was punting it back to Auburn with time going under two minutes left in the third and the Tigers backed up in their end of the field.

Auburn then pushed the ball back toward midfield, eating up the remainder of the clock in the third quarter.

End of the third quarter, Auburn leads 21-16

4th Quarter
As the fourth quarter began, the Tigers were still on their side of the field, moving out. They soon crossed midfield, but could not get much further in the face of the Trojan defense. Facing a 4th-and-4 at the USC 42, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville thought long and hard about going for it, even taking a time out, but in the end decided to punt and trust his defense.

USC got the ball back and worked their way back downfield and into Auburn territory. Once again, however, the Tiger defense rose up and stopped the Trojans and forced them into another longish field goal attempt by Killeen, this one from 44 yards. Snap, hold, it's up...he missed again! Killeen misses and the score remains 21-16!

Auburn took advantage, driving back down the field and into USC territory, eating clock and yardage. But, the Trojans finally got the stops they needed and forced the Tigers to bring on John Vaughn for a 39-yard attempt. A make here would make the lead 24-16 and make it very difficult for USC to come back with time running out. Snap, hold, it's up...he pushed it! Wide right! The Trojans are still breathing!

With the clock now under 5 minutes left, Leinart and company go to work. The Trojans move back down the field until they reach the Auburn 12 with 1:49 left. Leinart drops back and fires a screen to Bush. Bush dashes outside to the sideline, just beating the cutoff defender, jitter-steps around another and then runs and lunges towards the end zone. As the play ends, Bush has his outstretched arm over the line with a pair of Tigers piled on him. The officials consult, trying to make sure his knee wasn't down before the ball broke the plane...they signal...yes! Touchdown, USC! The Trojan fans in the stadium erupt as USC now takes a 22-21 lead with 1:42 left. Again, Carroll goes for two to make it a three-point game. Once again, the Tigers are able to deny the conversion and keep the score at 22-21. Those missed points could prove costly.

However, they do not. The Tigers make an effort, but the fight seems to have gone out and while they do make some headway, their last chance on a 4th-and-7 at their own 42 falls incomplete with :32 left. The Trojans come on the field, run out the clock, and celebrate a thrilling Orange Bowl victory and an undisputed claim to the national championship!

End of the game, USC wins 22-21

Code:
Auburn(20/-2/7/14/14/O/-4) vs. Southern California(24/-1/11/19/27/K/4) at Miami FL 3: Southern California goes for two and fails. CG: Southern California scores on a 28-yard touchdown pass! Southern California misses the two-point conversion. CG: Auburn fails to move the ball into field goal range. TEAM 1Q 2Q 3Q 4Q CG Final Auburn 7 7 7 0 0 21 Southern California 3 7 6 0 6 22 ---------- Line: Southern California -13 (-12) Current Records: Auburn: 14-1 Southern California: 15-0